• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Return of the Forerunners - Part Two ViDoc

Gun Animations Goblishly Spectacular

Because the Promethean weapons animate to form into a weapon that the user can use so it adapts to differenct physiciology.

You are my friend. I was JUST going to tell someone how sexy those reload animations look. Not only will kills be satisfying with this weapon, but the reload animation as well.

It feels like it'll NEVER be Nov 6 soon enough!!

Vire

Re-watching the video and noticing all the little details.

343 never ceases to amaze me.

This game will easily be GOTY. It's achieving levels on the 360 that previously weren't thought possible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love it I love it I love it I love it

Super glad to see the continued commitment to design language and the expansion of such as well.

Not really liking Watcher design though. Seems pretty one dimensional like the engineers in a real "obviously kill this thing first" kind of way.

see5harp

I love it I love it I love it I love it

Super glad to see the continued commitment to design language and the expansion of such as well.

Not really liking Watcher design though. Seems pretty one dimensional like the engineers in a real "obviously kill this thing first" kind of way.

Yea but the whole grenade caching thing looks incredibly cool. It's obviously the engineer class though agreed.

not a fan of the new characters. The watcher seems to be an engineer that can grab grenades, and the dogs seem just like skirmishers, albeit weaker. The design isn't that great either, the whole skull thing screams doom and doesnt seem fitting at all in the haloverse.

Gameplay wise, I was hoping that the new enemies would seem more tactical. They don't really seem like an intelligent race to me.

The weapon concept seems a lot more flushed out, the idea that the guns "fuse" around the hand is definetly more like what I would expect from them.

Arnie

I'm so glad Bungie isn't making Halo games anymore. This is like Halo fully realized. It is gorgeous.

As much as 343 really stepped it up in the graphics department, it's so easy to judge a game solely on it's visuals, rather than the frameworks beneath.

Bungie revolutionised console multiplayer, added Forge, and Theatre, and always tried to innovate and advance with each big milestone. Even features that didn't fully work, or were never properly realised, such as the Arena still showed immense daring and creativity.

As I've said, I think the campaign for Halo 4 looks fantastic, but I've yet to see something on a similar level to the sort of risks Bungie used to make. Spartan Ops could fulfil this for me, provided the narrative holds together and the seasons come to fruition in a timely fashion.

The multiplayer setup is definitely a 'risk' in terms of how far they've deviated from the traditional formula, but it's also a risk matched by a lack of originality. The multiplayer, so far, looks like a collection of shooter tropes popularised in the Call of Duty era, and slapped into a science fiction setting. It's the safest evolution they could make, and one the majority of people will feel like they've experience before, I believe. What I don't want to believe is that 343 intended for such a reaction. Halo's never been one to fit in with the rest.

Vire

Looks like moving concept art...
rRML1.jpg
Just stunning stuff.

Grisby

Gun Animations Goblishly Spectacular
Thanks Kibbles
iveZivm8cVWzb.gif

Because the Promethean weapons animate to form into a weapon that the user can use so it adapts to differenct physiciology.
I love this one. The pistol seems like it's struggling to contain all dat power.

sk3

Banned
As much as 343 really stepped it up in the graphics department, it's so easy to judge a game solely on it's visuals, rather than the frameworks beneath.

Bungie revolutionised console multiplayer, added Forge, and Theatre, and always tried to innovate and advance with each big milestone. Even features that didn't fully work, or were never properly realised, such as the Arena still showed immense daring and creativity.

As I've said, I think the campaign for Halo 4 looks fantastic, but I've yet to see something on a similar level to the sort of risks Bungie used to make. Spartan Ops could fulfil this for me, provided the narrative holds together and the seasons come to fruition in a timely fashion.

The multiplayer setup is definitely a 'risk' in terms of how far they've deviated from the traditional formula, but it's also a risk matched by a lack of originality. The multiplayer, so far, looks like a collection of shooter tropes popularised in the Call of Duty era, and slapped into a science fiction setting. It's the safest evolution they could make, and one the majority of people will feel like they've experience before, I believe. What I don't want to believe is that 343 intended for such a reaction. Halo's never been one to fit in with the rest.
Fair point. I never got into Halo multiplayer, but I love the universe and single player campaigns. There was so much wasted potential with the story, I was always expecting Bungie to go deeper into the mythology and they never really did. Halo 4 adding more forerunner stuff is very exciting.

As a 3D artist/hobbiest playing through this game is gonna be so damn hard. I'm just going to be stopping and looking at environments the whole damn time because they are so stunning!!!

Arnie

Fair point. I never got into Halo multiplayer, but I love the universe and single player campaigns. There was so much wasted potential with the story, I was always expecting Bungie to go deeper into the mythology and they never really did. Halo 4 adding more forerunner stuff is very exciting.

True, and it was definitely exasperated by the universe the books were spinning in parallel. I've since fallen away from the books in the interim following Halo 4, but I hear the new ones have a greater consistency with the events depicted and foreshadowed in 4, to 343's credit.

sure they did, like the terminals in halo 3. The nice thing was that they never tried to bash you over the head with it.

A huge part of the first games was that we didn't know what the forerunner were, it added all that mystery as to what halo was, and who built it. Bungie never needed to explain the forerunner, they were used as a story telling tool to help emphasize the destructive power of the flood.

Arnie

sure they did, like the terminals in halo 3. The nice thing was that they never tried to bash you over the head with it.

On the contrary I feel it was all a little too cryptic.

The only way I understood them was through a website devoted to Halo fiction, who subsequently decoded them. The size of such a translation process (into understandable English) was so great that the authors of that site now work for 343.

Oh dear lord.

Competitive doesn't mean 'MLG PRO', it means one human being opposing another. My nan playing Halo multiplayer against my aunt is, by definition, competitive. It's multiplayer designed to stimulate and support competition.

blah

Cause those cod features online now dont stimulate and support competition? I dunno if you noticed the number of people playing those game consistently and competitively for the past 5-6 years... Maybe you should open a web page or something every once in a while.

Its pretty simple, most of you on this forum take gaming way too seriously. Youll say whatever it takes to win an argument, even debating for an idea that you debated against simply because instead of playing for fun, youll playing for pride therefore it just doesnt work anymore, right? Thats basically it, fun=sp whereas pride=mp. Ridiculous.

All i see in here are people with big giant egos who think that when they win or lose online in a video game, that people actually remember them or fuckin care. Its a video game. Youre not going to get a medal from the president after u win. And im the crazy one. lol

Arnie

Cause those cod features online now dont stimulate and support competition? I dunno if you noticed the number of people playing those game consistently and competitively for the past 5-6 years... Maybe you should open a web page or something every once in a while.

Its pretty simple, most of you on this forum take gaming way too seriously. Youll say whatever it takes to win an argument, even debating for an idea that you debated against simply because instead of playing for fun, youll playing for pride therefore it just doesnt work anymore, right? Thats basically it, fun=sp whereas pride=mp. Ridiculous.

All i see in here are people with big giant egos who think that when they win or lose online in a video game, that people actually remember them or fuckin care. Its a video game. Youre not going to get a medal from the president after u win. And im the crazy one. lol

mFCnw.gif

At least we all agree here.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck.

I don't usually buy shooters on consoles, but this looks so good, and I am a Halo lore whore.
This might be your favorite Halo yet, then. The story looks amazingly rich in both breadth and depth.

Lookin' beautiful.

BLKYx.gif

I don't think you could be any further from the mark, and understanding that expectations and what some people want for single player and multiplayer are completely different.

True, and it was definitely exasperated by the universe the books were spinning in parallel. I've since fallen away from the books in the interim following Halo 4, but I hear the new ones have a greater consistency with the events depicted and foreshadowed in 4, to 343's credit.
From everything I've read of the extended, the most interesting parts of the Halo universe still stem from the implications of this conversation from Halo:CE (Two Betrayals)

Cortana: "You have no idea how this ring works, do you? Why the Forerunners built it? Halo doesn't kill Flood, it kills their food. Humans, Covenant, whatever. We're all equally edible. The only way to stop the Flood is to starve them to death. And that's exactly what Halo is designed to do: Wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life. You don't believe me? Ask him!" (Points at Spark.)

Master Chief hesitates, and then turns to 343 Guilty Spark.

Master Chief: "Is it true?"

343 Guilty Spark: (pauses) "More or less. Technically, this installation's pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But, once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood." (Pause) "But you already knew that... I mean, how couldn't you?"

Cortana: "Left out that little detail, did he?"

343 Guilty Spark: "We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way, as we managed this crisis."

Cortana: (alarmed) "Chief, I'm picking up movement!"

343 Guilty Spark: "Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?"

Cortana: (urgently) "We need to go, right now."

Four Sentinels float up behind 343 Guilty Spark, their beams aimed menacingly on the Chief.

343 Guilty Spark: "Last time, you asked me, if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed."

Master Chief looks around at the Sentinels, and backs towards the panel. He takes Cortana's disk out of the console, and inserts it into his helmet.

343 Guilty Spark: "There is no choice. We must activate the ring."

Cortana: (urgently whispers in Master Chief's head) "Get - us - out - of - here!"

343 Guilty Spark: "If you are unwilling to help, I will simply find another. Still, I must have the Index. Give your construct to me, or I will be forced to take her from you."

Master Chief: "That's not going to happen."

The Master Chief aiming his Assault Rifle at the Monitor

343 Guilty Spark: "So be it." (to the Sentinels) "Save his head. Dispose of the rest."

i'm not a huge halo fan (although i've bought every halo game with the exception of halo 1 hd), but this is really looking good. obviously the art and technology are incredible. i really enjoyed the section about the new enemies and how they work together. it sounds like it could provide quite a bit of fun/strategy when facing them.

it looks like microsoft has put together a fantastic team to carry this franchise on--a team that is worthy of inheriting a franchise as big as halo. i'm officially excited for this now and will definitely be picking it up day one.

-Mikey-

A title like Halo is hard to avoid but it wasn't on my radar. These vid docs have definitely changed that. Hoping I can play with friends like we did 10 years ago! :')

From everything I've read of the extended, the most interesting parts of the Halo universe still stem from the implications of this conversation from Halo:CE (Two Betrayals)

Cortana: "You have no idea how this ring works, do you? Why the Forerunners built it? Halo doesn't kill Flood, it kills their food. Humans, Covenant, whatever. We're all equally edible. The only way to stop the Flood is to starve them to death. And that's exactly what Halo is designed to do: Wipe the galaxy clean of all sentient life. You don't believe me? Ask him!" (Points at Spark.)

343 Guilty Spark: "So be it." (to the Sentinels) "Save his head. Dispose of the rest."

Yeah, the first game made you think that MC or humans were the ones who built the ring. I never understood how MC was the reclaimer, and why he was given that title, it seemed like they retconned the story.

I actually think the whole forerunner/human war is garbage.

Yeah, the first game made you think that MC or humans were the ones who built the ring.
I never got that impression. They only ran into the ring due to a blind jump (which may not have been as blind as we thought, given the story in Reach). Regardless, the ring was always Forerunner.

There is a lot you can unpack from that one conversation though, and all without needing to read the novels.

id8SD5Axcoq6U.gif

I can't (won't) believe the game looks this good until I can see it with my own eyes on my own TV. What a world of difference from everything that has come before.

GhaleonEB

I'm retarded, but the fact theres no splashes when they drive through the water bugs the hell out of me. Even though it looks amazing.

Probably an LOD thing. The other games are similar, with some water effects not visible from that distance; it probably splashes up close.

Theater for Campaign is going to so great; this game looks fantastic.

From Kibbles in the Halo thread:

iAGjNBo12lQhK.gif

Love how aggressive and powerful the Knight looks. *wham*, dead Elite, who's next?

Edit: that's what I get for typing slow.

Game looks awesome!

also, anyone else get horrible lagging on Chrome with a bunch of gifs on screen? Get no lag watsoever on firefox.

Tokubetsu

Yeah, the first game made you think that MC or humans were the ones who built the ring. I never understood how MC was the reclaimer, and why he was given that title, it seemed like they retconned the story.

I actually think the whole forerunner/human war is garbage.

I think it still works if you consider humans to be descendents of Forerunners. We probably share DNA with them which is why Guilty Spark saw MC as reclaimer. I thought one of the bits from Halo Legends alluded to this? Been awhile since I saw them.

Vire

I never got that impression. They only ran into the ring due to a blind jump (which may not have been as blind as we thought, given the story in Reach). Regardless, the ring was always Forerunner.

There is a lot you can unpack from that one conversation though, and all without needing to read the novels.

id8SD5Axcoq6U.gif

I can't (won't) believe the game looks this good until I can see it with my own eyes on my own TV. What a world of difference from everything that has come before.
Totally agree.

My brother joked that they were running this on a PC and video capturing it for the behind the scenes footage.

343 should be incredibly proud of the work they've done from an art standpoint.

I just hope they haven't shown us all the environments since there's only 8 missions.

The Forerunners plan for stopping the Flood was always extremely stupid to me. It basically achieves the same purpose of a Flood victory anyway. If the Forerunners fight the a flood until they (the Forerunners) are overwhelmed, then the Flood will eventually run out of food anyway. Firing the Halos basically expediates the process with no discernible positive result.

Also, the Flood were portrayed horribly in the games if they were meant to be a threat to the galaxy. The Chief kills thousands of Flood with a shotgun, but we're supposed to believe that they caused the destruction of a space-faring species capable of building megastructures? Apparently the Forerunners never discovered that things die when you put holes in them.

Top Bottom