• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Photography Challenge Thread #132: Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
TOP9j.png

Cjqy1.png

Family

Submissions are due by Sunday, October 28th by 11:59pm PST

t1351493700z4.png

Voting begins immediately after, and ends on Tuesday, October 30th by 11:59 PST

t1351666500z4.png

MAvAA.png

1. The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2. Only one photo per person, per assignment.

• Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
  • Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
  • You can change your submission by editing your post.
  • To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
  • Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.
3. One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4. The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5. Have fun!

pcjLQ.png

uw3bQ.png

GAF Photography Challenge FAQ

Previous topics and frequently asked questions regarding the challenge.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2012

General photography thread.

GAF Photography Challenge Template

Template for use in future Photography Challenges

Xun

Congrats on winning! I look forward in participating.

Oh and good call on adding the template link to the OP, I'll update the template tomorrow to include it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
congrats on winning, I will try to come up with something cool on this one

Lumix

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 45 mm
ISO Speed: 4000

aidan

Deadline is tonight folks! Should we push back the deadline, in lieu of more entries?

Xun

Deadline is tonight folks! Should we push back the deadline, in lieu of more entries?
I'd say so, yeah.

I really want to try and get something in, but I'm just not sure what.

The challenges that appear to be the most simple are always the hardest. :p

pringles

I've struggled with this assignment, haven't been able to come up with any good ideas. I really like the entries so far though.

If the deadline is pushed I'll definitely try and go for something better, but for what it's worth, here's my entry:

The connection to the theme here is that the cabin was built by my grandfather a long time ago. It's always been our family getaway.

Exif:

Nikon D7000
14mm
f/4.0
15s
ISO 2500

aidan

Alrighty, in hopes of getting some more entries, I'm pushing the deadline back a week, to Sunday, October 28th, 11:59pm PST. Voting will commence after that.

Did you use fill light here?

I had my flash attached to my camera, though I can't remember if it fired or not.

tch

Great shots so far guys. Even with the deadline extension I'm still wracking my brain for an idea. Hope to get something in!

Pringles, where did you take the picture? Looks beautiful.

trunbuns

Hope we see a few more entries. I think that themes that focus on people are kind of intimidating though. I know there's many ways to interpret any theme, but with this one I struggled to imagine what I would do and ended up trawling through photos taken in the assignment period.

I really like the photo of the cabin because it has got around the issue of shooting people for this theme, however without the explanation I would probably have struggled to find the relevance.

aidan

Hope we see a few more entries. I think that themes that focus on people are kind of intimidating though. I know there's many ways to interpret any theme, but with this one I struggled to imagine what I would do and ended up trawling through photos taken in the assignment period.

I really like the photo of the cabin because it has got around the issue of shooting people for this theme, however without the explanation I would probably have struggled to find the relevance.

I'll admit, though my own submission is fairly traditional, I was hoping to see some outside the box thinking on this assignment, like Pringles. Personally, I've found that photographing people is incredibly rewarding, but I can still remember when I was too shy to do so. I thought that 'family' was a broad enough theme that we'd see some interesting interpretations.

But, hey, we've still got a few days to go! Get out there and shoot, GAF!

RayStorm

I actually have to possible pictures that may or may not qualify (actually they both fall clearly outside the rules, but still): One is a picture my father took after I instructed him in very broad terms what to do. The other is one I technically could recreate without any problem, if I weren't as lazy as I am, but the actual picture I have taken a few weeks prior to this assignment. So I've got one the I didn't make, and one that I technically didn't make in the assignment period.
I probably should at least retake the second picture, if only make use of this for what it really is: An excuse to go out and make some photographs.

Personally, I've found that photographing people is incredibly rewarding, but I can still remember when I was too shy to do so.

Which raises the question, that I assume has been answered countless times already: If you shoot people, do you talk with them/ask for permission before or after you took the picture? Or do you avoid talking to them and just photograph away?

pringles

No more entries? :-/

Pringles, where did you take the picture? Looks beautiful.
Thanks, it's way up in the northern reaches of Sweden, tiny place, middle of nowhere. I was hoping to catch some aurora as well, but no such luck.

Xun

I really wanted to get something in but I've been swamped these past couple of weeks.

Absolutely stunning photos guys!

aidan

My entry.

IMG_8364 por MOTUS_MX, en Flickr

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 45 mm
ISO Speed: 4000

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Lens Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Focal Length 70mm
Shutter Speed 1/200 sec
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 100

The connection to the theme here is that the cabin was built by my grandfather a long time ago. It's always been our family getaway.

Exif:

Nikon D7000
14mm
f/4.0
15s
ISO 2500

Here's the most apt shot I can find:

family by trunbuns, on Flickr

Come in on the final stretch.

iUCcCeCK5R8mQ.png

Time to vote! Thanks to everyone who entered!

Because there is such a low number of entires, maybe people would consider leaving extra feedback/praise for the photos submitted. :)

alterno69

Banned
Ok, my votes.

1. Aidan
2.Trunbuns
3.Jasoneyu

I love pringles pic but when i see it i don't think family at all, even with the explanation, looks awesome but kinda spooky at the same time.

Xun

Superb entries everyone!

1. trunbuns
2. aidan
3. Jasoneyu

Shame about the lack of entries, but subjects like these are always harder. :)

pringles

Am I the only one who can't see Ultima's photo?

Anyway my votes:

1. Aidan - an obvious take on this theme, could be on stock photography sites under 'family', but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As always your photos are quality, with a personal style that doesn't overshadow the photo itself, if you understand what I mean.

2. alterno69 - This is a nice photo with lovely tones, but I wish you had kept your original entry. Would have been my #1, thought it was great.

Jasoneyu - I like it but wish the composition was 'cleaner' with better focus on the people at the table.

Trunbuns - Once again I like the subject but might have liked another composition better.

Lumix - Did you have a different version of this at first? I like this one better. Great subject for the theme, just wish you could have gotten closer.

I love pringles pic but when i see it i don't think family at all, even with the explanation, looks awesome but kinda spooky at the same time.
Yeah I agree, didn't manage to come up with anything with a stronger connection to the theme.

Xun

Am I the only one who can't see Ultima's photo?

Anyway my votes:

1. Aidan - an obvious take on this theme, could be on stock photography sites under 'family', but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As always your photos are quality, with a personal style that doesn't overshadow the photo itself, if you understand what I mean.

2. alterno69 - This is a nice photo with lovely tones, but I wish you had kept your original entry. Would have been my #1, thought it was great.

Jasoneyu - I like it but wish the composition was 'cleaner' with better focus on the people at the table.

Trunbuns - Once again I like the subject but might have liked another composition better.

Yeah I agree, didn't manage to come up with anything with a stronger connection to the theme.
You at least came up with something! :p

I sadly didn't. :(

Lumix

1) Aidan
2) trunbuns

Lumix - Did you have a different version of this at first? I like this one better. Great subject for the theme, just wish you could have gotten closer.

Yes, this was a modified version of the same photo. I just clone stamped the other peacock out, then cropped it.

I do agree with getting a closer framed shot, though.
I couldn't creep up any closer without disturbing the birds, and didn't have my 70-210 f/4 lens with me at the time. =(

LandawgDew

Neo Member
My votes:

1) aidan
2) alterno69
3) Lumix

Good pictures by everyone though. Seemed like a tough subject to capture. Looking forward to following more of these photo assignment threads.

aidan

First: trunbuns — Great tones, setting and take on the theme. I'm not so keen on the centre-focussed composition, or the high angle, but a pleasing photo all around.

Runner-up: pringles — Unlike others here, I think there's a nice connection here to the theme. I like the colours and the composition, but the excessive noise lowers the overall effectiveness of the image.

Comments:

alterno69: A beautiful photo, probably the best in the thread, I just wish you'd included some of the child's family members.

Jasoneyu: Nice tones and an interesting setting, but, like someone else mentioned, it's too bad that the subjects aren't in better focus.

Lumix: A cute take on the theme, but it's too bad you didn't have your 70-200mm with you. A much tighter crop would have done wonders.

UltimaPooh: A nice, atypical expression on the child's face. But, like alterno69's photo, I find myself wishing that there was another family member in the frame.

Great photos, all around! Thanks to everyone who participated. And extra thanks to those who have voted for my photo.

Thanks, dude. Even when I decided on the theme, I knew I'd be going for something more traditional. I appreciate your comment about my style, and that it doesn't overshadow the photograph itself. I think that's an important aspect of the photography that I've worked hard on developing over the years.

#1) Pringles : I really love the composition, colors, and feeling of your photo. I do think the noise hurts the overall photo, but I feel like the rest of it makes up for it. I also agree with aidan that it makes sense within the theme to me.

#2) aidan : As others have said, your the composition in your photo is what someone would typically think of when they think of this theme. However, I think the execution gives it a unique feeling. I know some aren't big fans of the blown out look, but I think it works well here.

HM) alterno69 : Cute kid! I really like the photo, I just think within the context of the theme it would have been stronger with a parent or other child in the frame. Either way, I love the photo!

trunbuns

1. Pringles

2. Aiden.

I loved Pringles photo and hearing that this was a cabin built by a family member did evoke a warm feeling, imagining log fire lit evenings with loved ones.

Special mention should go to Alterno's first pic which I would have definitely put In my top 2.

Thanks for the feedback on my photo guys, I kind of agree with the composition stuff. I wasn't completely happy with it but I did feel that the correct sentiment for this theme was present.

aidan

And the winners are:

First Place

Runner-up

Third Place

With votes breaking down as:

Aidan: 3 3 1 3 3 3 1 1 3 - 21 points
Trunbuns: 1 3 1 1 3 3 - 12 points
pringles: 1 3 3 1 - 8 points
Alterno69: 1 1 - 2 points
Jasoneyu: 1 - 1 point

Thank you, to all who voted for me, and congrats to Trunbuns and pringles! I'll try to get a new challenge up sometime today, after I wrack my brain for some ideas. I wasn't expecting to win this one!

Also, sorry for the tardy collation of the votes, it's been a busy deadline week for me at work.

:)

trunbuns

Well done aiden great shot! My trusty Canon PowerShot sx10 has died on me with a lens error issue. Was literally working one minute and dead the next :(.

I'm currently saving for a Dslr but probably won't be able to enter next month unless I shoot some phone photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom