• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Screen Shot Thread (56k no)

Monk said:
Well thats a tad unfair. Videogames have only just got to the point of being comparable to film and anime. Anime uses computer generated art at times. And what about the paper mario games? I am curious as to what artwork it relates to. Then there is the fact that he never said that there was a visual style "unique to games". And those games failed at imitating a comic book too. Viewtiful Joe on the other hand did perfect.

And worst the fact is that other medium try to mimic previous works and try to call them "inspired by xx". My pointis that, yes there are copy cats and then there are games that geniunely have their own style. Animal Crossing, that animal evolution game on the GC, Giftpia etc etc.
I'm not saying games shouldn't or couldn't still have a wide range of differing visual approaches, merely that all visuals in gaming are derivative. So saying developers are't trying hard enough to distinguish themselves from live action inspiration or hand drawn inspiration is kind of impossible.
Hey if someone can make a game with impressionsim as it's visual inspiration (the way woodblock prints inspireed Okami) it would look amazing and very different from other games out there, but it would still be derived from another source.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This deserves a place in this thread!

screenshot_04_l.jpg

Call me mad, but I'm actually more excited about this than any other next-gen game :D

MickeyKnox said:
I'm not saying games shouldn't or couldn't still have a wide range of differing visual approaches, merely that all visuals in gaming are derivative. So saying developers are't trying hard enough to distinguish themselves from live action inspiration or hand drawn inspiration is kind of impossible.
Hey if someone can make a game with impressionsim as it's visual inspiration (the way woodblock prints inspireed Okami) it would look amazing and very different from other games out there, but it would still be derived from another source.
Of what exactly is Darwinia derivative, for example? It's very different to say something is "derived" from something else, and to say it is "derivative." The connotations there are very different. If you call everything derivative just because it happens to draw some kind of inspiration or influence from some other thing, the word "derivative" becomes completely useless because it applies to just about everything. There are far more descriptive and useful ways to use that term.

Nash said:

screenshot_04_l.jpg

Call me mad, but I'm actually more excited about this than any other next-gen game :D
That's an interesting looking screenshot. Looks fun, even though I don't know what it is. Graphics look clean, too.

Mr. TV Goggles said:
That's an interesting looking screenshot. Looks fun, even though I don't know what it is. Graphics look clean, too.
it's from super monkey ball: banana blast. it's a screenshot of monkey target, widely considered the best of the party games. from the looks of the screen it's back to classic 'take turns' monkey target rather than split screen monkey target, though that could be a shot from the single player mode.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
plagiarize said:
it's from super monkey ball: banana blast. it's a screenshot of monkey target, widely considered the best of the party games. from the looks of the screen it's back to classic 'take turns' monkey target rather than split screen monkey target, though that could be a shot from the single player mode.

It would be nice if they let you choose splitscreen or turn-based. Overall I think splitscreen SMB2 with the power-ups turned off was the most fun, but the turn-based style of SMB1 had an element of strategy and gambling to it. Be good to have both styles.

The tiny 500 point barrels need to return as well!

MrPonx

Nash said:

screenshot_04_l.jpg

MONKEY BAAAL TAAARRRGGEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

****ING YESSSSSSSSSS

Nash said:
MONKEY BALL IMAGE

No, you're not mad. You are just experiencing what's known as Monkey Target Syndrome. Anybody who writes off Monkey Ball as a mini-game is just scum in my eyes. They don't know, they don't know. I spent more time perfecting my Monkey Target than I did on any of their beloved deep action games. I am better at Monkey Target than is healthy. I dreamt about flight parabolas, for the love of God. Monkey Target is not 'for the win', it is the bloody 'win'. It should be compulsory.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wolves Evolve said:
No, you're not mad. You are just experiencing what's known as Monkey Target Syndrome. Anybody who writes off Monkey Ball as a mini-game is just scum in my eyes. They don't know, they don't know. I spent more time perfecting my Monkey Target than I did on any of their beloved deep action games. I am better at Monkey Target than is healthy. I dreamt about flight parabolas, for the love of God. Monkey Target is not 'for the win', it is the bloody 'win'. It should be compulsory.

Well said!

I'd vote for you to be Prime Minister.

Nash said:
Well said!

I'd vote for you to be Prime Minister.

I'd make my victory speech on a massive multicolored island, and ambulate to the podium inside a translucent sphere that trundles down a ramp and then flips open in mid-air. As God intended us all to ambulate.

They could literally call the next game "Monkey Ball: Some Other Shit We Made Up" and I'd preorder it. Oh wait, that's right, I played FFX-2 on the same logic. (shudder).

Wolves Evolve said:
I'd make my victory speech on a massive multicolored island, and ambulate to the podium inside a translucent sphere that trundles down a ramp and then flips open in mid-air. As God intended us all to ambulate.

They could literally call the next game "Monkey Ball: Some Other Shit We Made Up" and I'd preorder it. Oh wait, that's right, I played FFX-2 on the same logic. (shudder).
i hope this game makes people forget that monkey ball adventure ever existed.

i'm sending Yanyan to traveller's tales to '**** shit up' in revenge for desecrating her monkey brethrin. that little racoon monkey is going to end lives.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wolves Evolve said:

monkey target come out right after I finished my pilot training, I immediately fell in love with it and became extremely good at 10 rounds bonus off, items on target. I could destroy all of my friends, newbs never took wind into account.

best flight simulator involving monkeys i've ever seen.

Fell in love with that game, beat all the master levels as well.

yeah, people seem to forget how good a single player game monkey ball was, and how competitive hardcore gamers got at beating times on the main game mode. it's a great example of a game that's fun for a gamer at any level of gaming.

my only fear going into banana blast are the bosses. everyone at E3 was getting slain by them, myself included (and i had zero trouble skipping through the intermediate levels on offer). i'm hoping it's just because people's skill at the tables is at a higher level than their skill at the bosses because, well we've had a few games now that let us get used to the tables.

hopefully the tables will be more like monkey ball 1 and less like the more infamous levels from monkey ball 2.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The single-player game from SMB1 was perfection. Flawless level design, totally skill-based. I really can't fault it.

I know this one is going to be completely different, but I'm hoping the fact we have a new control method to master means it's going to be a similar type of experience to SMB1 where we are learning it from scratch. Got no problem with the jumping really either, I'd rather have that than the VCR bollocks from SMB2. The bosses though I agree could be a bit of a problem, doing all the levels perfectly only to get repeatedly twatted by an overpowered boss could lead to a few smashed Wiimotes ...

One other thing I want back from SMB1 is Challenge Mode. Multiplayer splitscreen on the single-player levels was great, don't know why they axed it from SMB2.

YES MONKEY TARGET!! And anyone else glad they changed the water? The old SMB:BB water was HORRENDOUS and I cringed at the thought of seeing it while playing target. Look

Old Water:
super-monkey-ball-banana-blitz-20060914091635307.jpg

New Water:
super-monkey-ball-banana-blitz-20060920044712517.jpg

However out-of-ball monkeys make me a little sad. What happened to being able to do everything inside the ball (except splatting on the target or drowning when u didn't close in time)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Sonic and the Secret Rings

More officially released screenshots. Some of these look old to me, but I figured I'd better at least post them for completion's sake. Or maybe I've just seen this video dozens of times and assume that everyone else has too.

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030218403.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030219184.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030219903.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030220809.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030222965.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030223684.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030224434.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030225137.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030445792.jpg

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20060922030446495.jpg

Is there something about the way Wii screenshots are captured that make them look so much worse than in videos. I mean, just looking at the MP3 screens makes it look like MP2 but watching the HD videos are Gametrailers, the jump is apparent. Same for Sonic. Watching the video of the levels makes them look almost StH good but screens...meh

Chris Remo said:
Of what exactly is Darwinia derivative, for example? It's very different to say something is "derived" from something else, and to say it is "derivative." The connotations there are very different. If you call everything derivative just because it happens to draw some kind of inspiration or influence from some other thing, the word "derivative" becomes completely useless because it applies to just about everything. There are far more descriptive and useful ways to use that term.
Darwinia's look is inspired from the look of vector graphics. So is Tempest 2000, Rez, Geometry Wars Evolved, etc. In a way, the original Star Wars arcade game could be considered an original.

Zoramon089 said:
Is there something about the way Wii screenshots are captured that make them look so much worse than in videos. I mean, just looking at the MP3 screens makes it look like MP2 but watching the HD videos are Gametrailers, the jump is apparent. Same for Sonic. Watching the video of the levels makes them look almost StH good but screens...meh
That happens with pretty much all VG screenshots though.

unifin

Saoh said:
is Sonic confirmed to be on-rails/auto-move?? :( the game looks really good, that would be a -5 imo

it's on rails, yes - the player controls the sideways movement/jumping/attacking.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Wolves Evolve said:

Dammit, you were doing so well until the FFX-2 dig.

Mr. Pointy said:
Darwinia's look is inspired from the look of vector graphics. So is Tempest 2000, Rez, Geometry Wars Evolved, etc. In a way, the original Star Wars arcade game could be considered an original.
Right, but it's certainly not derivative of film, or some other visual medium.

maxmars

Chris Remo said:
Right, but it's certainly not derivative of film, or some other visual medium.

Perhaps Tron, with its fake wireframe people and environments (e.g. the sail ship), pioneered the concept? But on the other hand one could say the movie is derivative of early computer graphics. I like to think that those are two different "implementations" of the same concept.

I also happen to think that being cg a medium of its own, it has its set of rules and limitations and perks, therefore is bound to express a new artistic language, sooner or later. The medium really needs somebody that shows the way; it will probably not happen in a videogame however as the industry is of course interested first and foremost in being profitable. Perhaps a new Andy Warhole?

AniHawk

PantherLotus said:
Bleach

Oh hot damn does this game look sweet. These caps came from the recently released video (off-screen) but honestly--I'm starting to see something as I'm watching these videos. Something I didn't think would be as effective as I believe it will actually be. Tell me if you can pick up on why the Wii's lack of graphical capabilities will actually certain genres in the short run. There's just...something.

bleach3.jpg

Wow. I didn't know this game supports four players.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
AniHawk said:
Wow. I didn't know this game supports four players.

If you're refering to the bar underneath the life bar, I think that might be for power moves or something, rather than a 3rd & 4th player or a tag-team type setup.

Log4Girlz

"If you're refering to the bar underneath the life bar, I think that might be for power moves or something, rather than a 3rd & 4th player or a tag-team type setup."

I think he was counting her breasts as players.

Anyhoo, target is indeed the greatest mini-game ever.

I have a BFA as well... and it cost a bit more than yours: does that make me more right than you? No. In fact, you can have several degrees in art and still not know what the hell you're talking about. That is some weak crap.

You can sketch or concept anything. Even screens from REZ. In fact I'm certain there was a concepting phase FOR REZ. What kind of point are you even trying to make? Things can be represented in more than one way, visually? REALLY!? That's like saying that a song, can be represented in ways other than sound. Surely these things cannot be true!

What a blanketed, oversimplified bunch of hooey!

Sorry guys. The mistake here was mine, for placing substance where there was none.

Again, sorry

-Kid

japtor

Mr. Pointy said:
...and all vector graphics are is pretty much contour line art! (vector games go way back before the star wars game anyways)

Mar

plagiarize said:
my only fear going into banana blast are the bosses. everyone at E3 was getting slain by them, myself included (and i had zero trouble skipping through the intermediate levels on offer). i'm hoping it's just because people's skill at the tables is at a higher level than their skill at the bosses because, well we've had a few games now that let us get used to the tables.

So you've played it? Can I ask some questions? This is the game I'm looking forward to in next gen more than anything. But I have some concerns.

Does the jumping ruin the Monkey Ball 'feel'? I mean, I can't help but be scared that it's now just turned into a 3D platformer.

In some screenshots I've seen some little guys walking around. Like moles or something. Did they put monsters in the game? And if they did, how does this affect the puzzle element of the game?

From what you've played. Do you know if it returns to the skill based levels of SMB1 as opposed to SMB2, that had a lot of 'random / luck' based levels?

Here are the images that have made me feel better about the new art style. All previous screenshots didn't agree with me at all:

screenshot01.jpg

screenshot02.jpg

screenshot03.jpg

screenshot04.jpg

screenshot05.jpg

screenshot06.jpg

Zeed

Banned
KidGalactus said:
I have a BFA as well... and it cost a bit more than yours: does that make me more right than you? No. In fact, you can have several degrees in art and still not know what the hell you're talking about. That is some weak crap.
This guy gets it.

I hate art grads who come in with their haughty "more-cultured-than-thou" attitudes and start spewing pompous bullshit all over the place. Their comments make it clear more than any degree that they're full of crap.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
PantherLotus said:
Wii Shooting
hunt-20060516021334300.jpg[/IMG]

duck-hunt-20060516021335316.jpg

man, i wish i played this game at E3 instead of waiting on line for Airplane and that weird People Moving Demo Thingy :(

Looks real fun.

Top Bottom