• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I thought a cool thing for the Story Mode is what if Sakurai made it a continuation of Kid Icarus Uprising, like a pseudo-sequel? SSE was full-on Kirby in some instances, so it wouldn't surprise me if Pit takes more prominence.

My idea was what if he utilized the Aurum? They were pretty interesting characters, so maybe they could come back and create some giant Aurum Island that's a conglomeration of multiple Nintendo Worlds they've assimilated. Anyway, Pit would be sent to stop them, and once there he'd meet all the other Nintendo characters who are trying to save their world. So, the whole Aurum subplot, which came out of nowhere in Kid Icarus, would actually be a little foreshadowing...like all the Avenger hints in the Marvel movies leading up to it.

Anyway, all the villains would also be on the Island, and would bond together to defeat all the heroes and then rule the world. King DeDeDe would be the one who united them all together and, as a throwback to his fate of being possessed in Kirby Games, he'd actually be controlled by Hades the whole time who wants them all to fight so he can use their souls to restore his body. And all the other villains would be scheming, like Ganondorf waiting for the heroes to be destroyed before destroying all the other villains and becoming King, Medusa being suspicious of DeDeDe and aiding the Heroes secretly, and Wolf only being a hired gun and wishing simply to take down Fox.

WOW @ story mode. I really like the idea, but I hope that none of them are huge spoiler for Kid Icarus for myself. I am still waiting for specific color 3DS XL to buy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
WOW @ story mode. I really like the idea, but I hope that none of them are huge spoiler for Kid Icarus for myself. I am still waiting for specific color 3DS XL to buy.

Oh...well, all I mentioned was the name of some characters. I don't think it will spoil anything though for you.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh...well, all I mentioned was the name of some characters. I don't think it will spoil anything though for you.

Good, I was afraid that you might steal some idea from Kid Icarus UpRising where Medusa actually helped Pit out against Hades in the game..

I'm aware of Hade, Medusa, Marcus and that elemental girl, but that's all spoilers I know so far.

If you tried to get all the trophies in Melee, Adventure Mode was the worst thing ever. I'll take Subspace over that every day.

I already got all trophies in Melee and Brawl, but one trophy was very challenging in melee. Diskun trophy, where you have to clear one of mode without getting any damage.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair, only Mario, Zelda and Ice Climbers felt like adventure in Melee.

The rest are just "lol fight this guy but with gimmicks".

qq more

To be fair, only Mario, Zelda and Ice Climbers felt like adventure in Melee.

The rest are just "lol fight this guy but with gimmicks".

Exactly why Adventure Mode sucked so much. SSE had the right idea but executed so boringly. What a shame. If they ever try another adventure mode in 4, they better get it right this time.

I think each character should get rivals in classic mode
Like, right before Master Hand Link fights Ganondorf and there is a nice little cutscene.

But that would take a shitload of work for every character so no ;__;

GamerSoul

Of course, their main focus will be on the much anticipated sequel to Subspace Emissary.

v_v Atleast make it more interesting all throughout.

I liked Adventure Mode in Melee.

Short, but sweet.

Same, I think that would be easier to exand on than SSE.

I thought a cool thing for the Story Mode is what if Sakurai made it a continuation of Kid Icarus Uprising, like a pseudo-sequel? SSE was full-on Kirby in some instances, so it wouldn't surprise me if Pit takes more prominence.

My idea was what if he utilized the Aurum? They were pretty interesting characters, so maybe they could come back and create some giant Aurum Island that's a conglomeration of multiple Nintendo Worlds they've assimilated. Anyway, Pit would be sent to stop them, and once there he'd meet all the other Nintendo characters who are trying to save their world. So, the whole Aurum subplot, which came out of nowhere in Kid Icarus, would actually be a little foreshadowing...like all the Avenger hints in the Marvel movies leading up to it.

Anyway, all the villains would also be on the Island, and would bond together to defeat all the heroes and then rule the world. King DeDeDe would be the one who united them all together and, as a throwback to his fate of being possessed in Kirby Games, he'd actually be controlled by Hades. And all the other villains would be scheming, like Ganondorf waiting for the heroes to be destroyed before destroying all the other villains and becoming King, Medusa being suspicious of DeDeDe and aiding the Heroes secretly, and Wolf only being a hired gun and wishing simply to take down Fox.

Very nice idea. This is kinda what I want in terms of character scenarios and story plot. I can imagine something in that nature happening where the villains form a League of Extraordinary Baddies. I would love more interactions and scenarios between the Nintendo characters. Forget the generic enemy crap. I think a scenario where Syrup and Toon Link meet on the open sea would be pretty awesome. Or Falcon teaming up with Samus in a space setting. I need stuff like that.

And I wouldn't put it passed Sakurai to put his new baby Pit on center stage for all to see.

Exactly why Adventure Mode sucked so much. SSE had the right idea but executed so boringly. What a shame. If they ever try another adventure mode in 4, they better get it right this time.

They have two chances to get it right so we'll see.

Mr. Fix

I think each character should get rivals in classic mode
Like, right before Master Hand Link fights Ganondorf and there is a nice little cutscene.

But that would take a shitload of work for every character so no ;__;

SSE is a shitload of work, imo. Besides, in PSAS they look very cheap, with no substance.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Adventure mode needs to be compact. SSE just went on for too long. Simplify the story because no one cares about the subspace army.

Just make it a bunch of levels like SSE but make it progress like Melee's.

I loved Uprising but making a SSE sequel also a sequel to that game's plot would be a bad idea in my opinion, if only because it'd fuel even more fire to the SAKURAI PLAYS FAVORITES complaints. Maybe not an all new villain since Taboo was kind of shit and the new enemies had atrocious designs, but I nice medium between Mario/Zelda/Kirby/misc. Pokemon and other enemies would obviously be preferable.

The same writing and character interactions on the other hand would be amazing. Obviously not everybody should talk non-stop but for those it'd be applicable for it could wind up elevating the story way above the original game's somewhat confusing narrative. Besides the Kid Icarus cast I'm mainly looking at Star Fox, Metal Gear and to a lesser extent Mario, Kirby, F-Zero and Sonic characters providing some entertaining conversations amongst each other.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know it may be very early for me to do this but I'm very serious about this game. I'm going to call shotgun for SSB4 /OT/ (Both - Wii U and 3DS)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, can you shotgun this early?

(Don't want the OT btw, just asking)

Yes, you can. I have seen it happened in other thread. I think MVC3 is one of them.

Dammit, Heath! I was interested in it too.

I'm sorry about shotgun, but I really want SSB4 /OT/ to be my first OT that I create. However I can't able to do OT due to time constrict or any situation then you will be person to take over.

qq more

whatever about OT, i'm sticking here because smash bros threads are usually awful except for this cool thread for kool kidz like us ggggggggggggggggggggg

good luk though

Anth0ny

I know it may be very early for me to do this but I'm very serious about this game. I'm going to call shotgun for SSB4 /OT/ (Both - Wii U and 3DS)

I call shotgun for the competitive SSB4 thread

RULEZ:

1. no outside food
2. only cools kids allowed
3. no items
4. only good stages
5. no 3ds talk allowed who teh fuck wants to play smash with that shitty circle pad
6. NO GIRLZ ALLOWED

prepare your friendcodes

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I call shotgun for the competitive SSB4 thread

RULEZ:

1. no outside food
2. only cools kids allowed
3. no items
4. only good stages
5. no 3ds talk allowed who teh fuck wants to play smash with that shitty circle pad
6. NO GIRLZ ALLOWED

prepare your friendcodes

Erm? That's what /OT/ for.

If you want example, then look at Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom /OT/, Street Fighter vs Tekken /OT/ and Super Street Fighter 4 /OT/. There are competitive chats and discussion in the Official Thread, so I don't see any point to make second thread based on Competitive. Also I planned to include list of friend codes in /OT/.

Unless you want to host a tournament for SSB4 then be my guest. I would be eager to join.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm up for giving the reigns of the thread to IntelliHeath, though you could maybe throw one of them aside for someone else.

You are right that it wouldn't be fair for me to snatch both but I'm definitely hyped for this game. I preferred to provide OT for Competitive Multiplayer SSB4, which is more likely to be Wii U. So I am going to keep SSB4 Wii U, and put SSB 3DS up in the air. Only if they are completely different game.

I know that they mentioned that SSB 3DS would focused on single player, awhile Wii U is catering to multiplayers. Just that I assumed they might changed their plan and go with Wii U and 3DS would be bundled together to push for Wii U to 3DS connectivity (just like Sony Battle Royale PS3/Vita), but I could be wrong.

Just that I preferred Competitive Multiplayer SSB4, which is more likely to be Wii U.

I thought SSE's problem was that virtually none of the levels had any character. Generic stadium. Generic cloud world. Generic jungle. Generic ghost town. Generic desert. Generic castle. Generic sci-fi lab. Halberd (odd man out). Generic spooky other-worldly bad guy dimension. If it weren't for the (rather basic) plot to try and tie it all together, it wouldn't even really be worth bothering with. That it goes on for several hours didn't help its case any.

Adventure Mode's worlds were at least heavily based on actual Nintendo properties. You run through the Mushroom Kingdom. You're going through some catacombs in Hyrule. You're escaping Zebes before it goes kablooey. You're dodging cars during an actual F-Zero race. I missed stuff like that in SSE.

^
Don't forget generic enemies with a handful of exceptions (koopas and goombas are the only ones I actually remember), and 3 or so generic bosses.

The only reason for me to play through it was the neat cutscenes and unlocking the characters.

You are right that it wouldn't fair for me to snatch both but I'm definitely hyped for this game, so I am going to keep SSB4 Wii U, and put SSB 3DS up in the air. Only if they are completely different game.

Just that I assumed that Wii U and 3DS would be bundled together to push for Wii U to 3DS connectivity (just like Sony Battle Royale PS3/Vita), but I could be wrong. I know that they mentioned that SSB 3DS would focused on single player, awhile Wii U is catering to multiplayers, so anything is possible right now.

That's a valid point, we'll have to wait and see what direction the 3DS game goes in first.

And while i'm sure i've said this before i'll shock everyone again, while suffering from generic settings and such I did enjoy SSE, it's like playing a charm lacking Kirby game with other characters being like the various powers which isn't exactly praise but it's fun enough.
A mix of SSE and Adventure is the way forward.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's a valid point, we'll have to wait and see what direction the 3DS game goes in first.

Yeah. I'm still waiting to hear something from Anthony. To having SSB4 OT and SSB4 Completive thread is just ridiculous, in my opinion because they essentially are same thing. Also UMVC3, SkullGirls, MK9, SFxTK and fighting communities usually don't split into two threads.

Anth0ny

Yeah. I'm still waiting to hear something from Anthony. To having SSB4 OT and SSB4 Completive thread is just ridiculous, in my opinion because they essentially are same thing. Also UMVC3, MK9, SFxTK and Fighting communities usually don't split into two threads.

i was kidding

qq more

I thought SSE's problem was that virtually none of the levels had any character. Generic stadium. Generic cloud world. Generic jungle. Generic ghost town. Generic desert. Generic castle. Generic sci-fi lab. Halberd (odd man out). Generic spooky other-worldly bad guy dimension. If it weren't for the (rather basic) plot to try and tie it all together, it wouldn't even really be worth bothering with. That it goes on for several hours didn't help its case any.

Adventure Mode's worlds were at least heavily based on actual Nintendo properties. You run through the Mushroom Kingdom. You're going through some catacombs in Hyrule. You're escaping Zebes before it goes kablooey. You're dodging cars during an actual F-Zero race. I missed stuff like that in SSE.

The biggest problem for me was how boring the levels were. They were kind of too slow for my liking.

But yeah, the generic shit is the 2nd biggest problem. I hope they address both.

SmithnCo

Well said, the team needs to stick with Nintendo worlds or at least attempt to give their unique worlds some character. It seems like the environments in SSE were purposefully designed to be as generic as possible. The Smash controls were also a bit iffy in platforming environments; fine with Melee because the stages were pretty short, but in SSE it just got tedious.

Watch Da Birdie

That's why I think the Aurum thing I mentioned would be cool...they could basically construct a mish-mash of Nintendo Worlds to explore in the Adventure Mode.

Like Mushroom Kingdom mixed with DK Jungle, so all the little Toad Houses would be situated among the giant jungle trees and look like amanita mushrooms, and the F-Zero racetrack being built atop the Chozo Ruins.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait. We're already calling dibs on an OT for a game we don't know anything about?

Fine. I call dibs for Monday, Wednesday and Friday Japan Time threads. You can fight amongst yourselves for the other two days.

Remember: new thread for new news.

Javier

That's why I think the Aurum thing I mentioned would be cool...they could basically construct a mish-mash of Nintendo Worlds to explore in the Adventure Mode.

Like Mushroom Kingdom mixed with DK Jungle, so all the little Toad Houses would be situated among the giant jungle trees and look like amanita mushrooms, and the F-Zero racetrack being built atop the Chozo Ruins.
Ashera's Tower from Fire Emblem combined with the Skyworld from Kid Icarus!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait. We're already calling dibs on an OT for a game we don't know anything about?

Fine. I call dibs for Monday, Wednesday and Friday Japan Time threads. You can fight amongst yourselves for the other two days.

Remember: new thread for new news.

I'm very curious how moderators would able to handle that. I wouldn't be surprise if moderator decided to force us to deal with Dojo Thread only, and new thread for new characters. Or just Dojo Thread.

oh GOD

daily japan time threads?

sakurai pls

My BODY is ready! :)

I call dibs on the Donkey Kong Country Remains thread, it has to exist at some point!

Psssh, I know yall are jabbing me right now with early shotgun. Come on, the game haven't confirmed yet awhile SSB4 have been for a year and half. :p

Ashera's Tower from Fire Emblem combined with the Skyworld from Kid Icarus!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE

Almost simliar to my idea, I was thinking of SkyWorld with Golden Sun's Venus Lighthouse.

Psssh, I know yall are jabbing me right now with early shotgun. Come on, the game haven't confirmed yet awhile SSB4 have been for a year and half. :p
No really i'm fine with you calling it now, quite a few big games get their OT's claimed as soon as they're announced, see E3 time for more examples of this.

Now i'm just saying the next DK thread is mine, all mine!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No really i'm fine with you calling it now, quite a few big games get their OT's claimed as soon as they're announced, see E3 time for more examples of this.

Now i'm just saying the next DK thread is mine, all mine!

HAHA, it's all your. I'm still waiting for them to announce new DKC, and Wii one was pretty interesting and fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm very curious how moderators would able to handle that. I wouldn't be surprise if moderator decided to force us to deal with Dojo Thread only, and new thread for new characters. Or just Dojo Thread.

I think due to the nature that the daily updates are expected a catch all thread would be acceptable in this instance and new threads should be reserved for news not related to the blog. It would be far to messy to have a new thread everyday. Perhaps weekly or monthly summery threads could be posted for those not interested in the main thread.

Boss Doggie

Well said, the team needs to stick with Nintendo worlds or at least attempt to give their unique worlds some character. It seems like the environments in SSE were purposefully designed to be as generic as possible. The Smash controls were also a bit iffy in platforming environments; fine with Melee because the stages were pretty short, but in SSE it just got tedious.

Or instead of being the same set of stages, just diverge them into multiple paths (i.e. if you go a warp zone in the Mario-themed adventure stage, it'd lead you to a DK stage, while normally playing the stage without the warp zone will lead you to Link's).

With that said people only seem to think of the Mario, Zelda and F-Zero stages in Melee for adventure mode. Most of them really are just Classic mode reskinned (e.g. Star Fox stage and Metroid stage).

But yeah, SSE feels bland, particularly in the OG side of things.

Watch Da Birdie

I did think all the SSE Cutscenes were pretty boss.

They should have the team do CG Scenes for Classic Mode, like the opening and ending scenes you have in Arcade Fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken. Make them all "humorous, world-mixing" ones too, like Captain Falcon's can have him racing in the F-Zero Grand Prix against Sonic only to lose at the end when a Blue Shell comes out of nowhere and hits both of them, letting Wario take the win, and like Olimar's can have him and his Pikmin exploring a small garden and coming across a flower, only for it to end up to be a Wiggler who chases him around.

On the gameplay side, I've been thinking about Final Smashes, and I think each version should have their own...the unique thing about the 3DS version is that, unlike the Wii U where not everyone will have a Wii U Tablet and thus be playing on the same screen, everyone will presumably be using their own 3DS, so why not take advantage of that for the 3DS Final Smashes? Have Shulk's Final Smash slow down the game-play on everyone's screen bar the player using Shulk, to mimic his "future-sight" abilities, and Genesect's Final Smash can have the player drawing "Xs" on the bottom of their screen displaying the stage, and then he slashes across that point on the screens of the other players, who won't see it coming since they can't see where the Genesect player sliced the screen.

Wii U could have more "hardcore, balanced" Final Smashes, personally I think it'd be cool if everyone had a Giga Bowser/Wario Man "Smashformation", changing to a different form that roughly plays the same, but is greatly improved making KOs easier, but not guaranteed. Ridley morphs into Meta-Ridley and can fly for an unlimited amount of time, and Olimar's Pikmin all become fully-flowered and powered up, doing more damage and being more resilient to attacks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or instead of being the same set of stages, just diverge them into multiple paths (i.e. if you go a warp zone in the Mario-themed adventure stage, it'd lead you to a DK stage, while normally playing the stage without the warp zone will lead you to Link's).

A branching path structure would mean the adventure mode is more condensed (assuming it is linear like Melee's) but allow for variety over multiple playthroughs.

Though saying that is they do increase the roster size I hope they remove the need to play through all modes with all characters.

And for however boss the GCI cutscenes in SSE were, the intro was terrible compared to Melee's. Hopefully we get a decent one again with the WiiU version.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, Brawl's intro was terrible since it just reused the cutscenes in SSE.

And yeah I'd rather have the length of stages in Mario stage in Melee - not the others though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope that Duck Hunt Dog get in.

duckhuntdog.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom