• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 3 PC performance thread

god I made such a fucking stupid mistake by buying a 1055T, I thought since most programmers were getting used to PS3's 8 core CPU, I would reap the benefits of their experience for years to come, I was so wrong....

sigh, just bought a GPU now to buy a new mobo and an i5 3750k :( fucking pc gaming

Eideka

Banned
god I made such a fucking stupid mistake by buying a 1055T, I thought since most programmers were getting used to PS3's 8 core CPU, I would reap the benefits of their experience for years to come, I was so wrong....

sigh, just bought a GPU now to buy a new mobo and an i5 3750k :( fucking pc gaming

You only have yourself to blame. That's not the fault of PC gaming if you chose your parts unwisely.

You only have yourself to blame. That's not the fault of PC gaming if you chose your parts unwisely.

yea I fell into the AMD fanboy bandwagon, "6 cores, best CPU on the market." blah blah blahh.

So I buy an I5 3570K unlocked, will it be able to handle PS4/Xbox next ports or is there something better on the horizon?

Eideka

Banned
yea I fell into the AMD fanboy bandwagon, "6 cores, best CPU on the market." blah blah blahh.

So I buy an I5 3570K unlocked, will it be able to handle PS4/Xbox next ports or is there something better on the horizon?

If I were you I would wait for Haswell, the successor to Ivy Bridge.

If I were you I would wait for Haswell, the successor to Ivy Bridge.

nice! thanks for the info :)

I just played a little BF3 with my new 7950 and the 1055t overclocked to 4.2 GHz, runs at a solid 60 FPS on ultra. I should be good for a while except for the occasional game here and there.

Sethos

Banned
Alright alright take it easy mr 100 mb upload don't kill me.

i4V3UxJWj3Y9a.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh, I get like 20fps in the harbor area and the game stutters all over even when the frame rate is good. At lowest settings. Even though my PC is old I didn't expect such a big difference from AC2, that's for sure. Do the console versions have issues too or is it just a less optimized PC port?

fokkusu

Weird performance with this game.. should I update GPU or wait for the fix from Ubisoft?
Currently I have i2500k @ 4.5 GHz and Sapphire HD 6950 2 GB stock speeds.

Dmax3901

So I recently bought AC2 - Brotherhood on PC and found that they would both crash on startup unless I ran the game in safe mode through Uplay.

When I got AC3 it was the same deal, so it's really depressing that this is working for some people when I can ONLY run the game in safe mode :(

Weird performance with this game.. should I update GPU or wait for the fix from Ubisoft?
Currently I have i2500k @ 4.5 GHz and Sapphire HD 6950 2 GB stock speeds.

The Safe Mode trick is a temporary fix and doesn't work for some people. Should probably wait for Ubisoft to figure out what the real issue is and put out an actual fix.

mxgt

Banned
I'm not impressed with the performance in this port.

30-50fps with SLI 670's. I also only get around 50% GPU usage. :/

Sethos

Banned
Disable one of your GPU and you should witness a boost in performance.

That's an AMD suggestion :p There is an SLI profile in place for this game. Disabling SLI certainly doesn't boost your performance.

mxgt, have you tried launching in safe mode? Game is very CPU intensive.

mxgt

Banned
Funny thing is I just tried one GPU and performance is slightly better.

Safe mode doesn't seem to make much a difference. Is there an SLI profile that will give me 100% GPU usage in both cards? or hopefully it's something in the works.

So frustrating when you could easily lock at 60fps but GPU usage isn't working properly.

Sethos

Banned
Funny thing is I just tried one GPU and performance is slightly better.

Safe mode doesn't seem to make much a difference. Is there an SLI profile that will give me 100% GPU usage in both cards? or hopefully it's something in the works.

So frustrating when you could easily lock at 60fps but GPU usage isn't working properly.

You won't magically get 100% usage if you are limited by the CPU, what settings are you running in-game and are you using the latest Nvidia drivers?

mxgt

Banned
You won't magically get 100% usage if you are limited by the CPU, what settings are you running in-game and are you using the latest Nvidia drivers?

Max with TXAA and yes, latest drivers.

Still get frame rate dips even with lower AA settings.

Sethos

Banned
Max with TXAA and yes, latest drivers.

Still get frame rate dips even with lower AA settings.

Weird, shadows on Very High adds their custom AO which takes a huge toll on GPUs so you should see some higher utilization. I lost 20-30FPS when I disabled SLI. However the game's now running 60FPS 99% of the time launching in Safe Mode with just one card ( SLI causes snow flickering ).

For the AC3 profile in Nvidia Inspector, try setting Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" as that have caused issues in some games with stutter and poor utilization.

Else I'm stumped. I know Nvidia are working on the flickering issue so we might see a new driver soon with a different SLI bit.

Core i5 750 4.0 GHz and 670GTX

I am getting 99% GPU load most of the time.

AA kills my frame rate so I am keeping only at High. Also Environment Quality seems to have a huge impact.

Normal
ac3eqnormalj7b6q.jpg

High
ac3eqhighfnbyh.jpg

Very High
ac3eqveryhighypz3w.jpg

shadows on Very High adds their custom AO which takes a huge toll on GPUs so you should see some higher utilization.

Not giving me any frame drops here. AA is the performance killer for me.

Sethos

Banned
Not giving me any frame drops here. AA is the performance killer for me.

Doesn't drop performance for me either but it does utilize your GPU harder. My 680s goes from quiet to a low hum vacuum mode when activating Very High shadows. AO is generally taxing, their implementation especially.

Hence why it should have a much higher utilization for him.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
nice! thanks for the info :)

I just played a little BF3 with my new 7950 and the 1055t overclocked to 4.2 GHz, runs at a solid 60 FPS on ultra. I should be good for a while except for the occasional game here and there.

Yeah, wait for Haswell if you haven't bought anything yet.

Leaked info says that Intel is saying:
1. At least a 10% improvement per equal clockspeed vs Ivy. Hopefully that's conservative as it's a major redesign. Hoping for 20-30%.
2. Higher overclock ceiling. So hopefully easy 5 GHz.

Together we're looking at a total improvement of 20-50%. Not as good as Westmere to Sandy, but I'll take it.

Will it keep up with next gen ports? Absolutely. Intel's core speed is unrivaled. There may be ports that have issues because they're designed for 6-8 tiny cores, but we almost always figure out how to modify settings to workaround these issues.

Personally I think my 2013 PC is going to be Haswell + a single high end GPU, and I'll replace the GPU on a 1.5 year basis. Crossfire/SLI only works 1/3 of the time it seems.

mxgt

Banned
Weird, shadows on Very High adds their custom AO which takes a huge toll on GPUs so you should see some higher utilization. I lost 20-30FPS when I disabled SLI. However the game's now running 60FPS 99% of the time launching in Safe Mode with just one card ( SLI causes snow flickering ).

For the AC3 profile in Nvidia Inspector, try setting Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" as that have caused issues in some games with stutter and poor utilization.

Else I'm stumped. I know Nvidia are working on the flickering issue so we might see a new driver soon with a different SLI bit.

Managed to get GPU usage to 80-90% in SLI using these tips, thanks.

Upped my FPS quite a bit. 60 at max settings @ 1080 but drops @ 1440, might fiddle the settings a bit.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, wait for Haswell if you haven't bought anything yet.

Leaked info says that Intel is saying:
1. At least a 10% improvement per equal clockspeed vs Ivy. Hopefully that's conservative as it's a major redesign. Hoping for 20-30%.
2. Higher overclock ceiling. So hopefully easy 5 GHz.

Together we're looking at a total improvement of 20-50%. Not as good as Westmere to Sandy, but I'll take it.

Will it keep up with next gen ports? Absolutely. Intel's core speed is unrivaled. There may be ports that have issues because they're designed for 6-8 tiny cores, but we almost always figure out how to modify settings to workaround these issues.

Personally I think my 2013 PC is going to be Haswell + a single high end GPU, and I'll replace the GPU on a 1.5 year basis. Crossfire/SLI only works 1/3 of the time it seems.

Now it's a damn shame that AMD is doing so poorly in the high-end market, we lose out on that front big-time. The whole soldering ordeal with IB goes to show they are artificially hampering their CPUs to stay within certain performance increase margins and to make them fit into the market with exact percentages.

Makes me worry that we won't see another Dual-core ballkick because they are now sitting so solid on everything. They have to means to make a mean CPU but now they can just drag their feet.

dino1980

I looked at my CPU-performance. The thing is everytime my fps take a dip in Boston the CPU power goes down to 0%. Do anyone know why its doing this and how can I fix it?

Sethos

Banned
I looked at my CPU-performance. The thing is everytime my fps take a dip in Boston the CPU power goes down to 0%. Do anyone know why its doing this and how can I fix it?

Try disabling CPU power management.

Power management can be a bitch sometimes, in some games.

Sethos

Banned
Where do i disable CPU Power management?

Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> Change Advanced power Settings -> Processor Power Management - > Minimum Processor State - Set this to 100%.

I would suggest making a new plan with it or change back when done trying, it's pretty nice to have your CPU slow down when not used.

dino1980

Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings -> Change Advanced power Settings -> Processor Power Management - > Minimum Processor State - Set this to 100%.

I would suggest making a new plan with it or change back when done trying, it's pretty nice to have your CPU slow down when not used.

Changed it to 100% but it doesnt do any difference. When I check processor its still 1-2% in win7 and in the game it still drops. :/

Sethos

Banned
Changed it to 100% but it doesnt do any difference. When I check processor its still 1-2% in win7 and in the game it still drops. :/

It won't effect your performance in Windows, it'll still idle it just means the CPU won't do any power saving, i.e drop in Hz to lower heat and power usage. That can sometimes happen when playing, making the FPS drop.

But I'm fresh out of ideas for your problem.

dino1980

It won't effect your performance in Windows, it'll still idle it just means the CPU won't do any power saving, i.e drop in Hz to lower heat and power usage. That can sometimes happen when playing, making the FPS drop.

But I'm fresh out of ideas for your problem.

Ok thanks anyway for the help.

haikira

Can someone help me, by pointing me to where the save files are kept?

Tried some Google Fu, but i'm only finding stuff about peoples cracked games. >.<

Worth pointing out i'm using the steam version. Just in case there's a difference between that and just buying it directly on Uplay.

Sethos

Banned
Can someone help me, by pointing me to where the save files are kept?

Tried some Google Fu, but i'm only finding stuff about peoples cracked games. >.<

Worth pointing out i'm using the steam version. Just in case there's a difference between that and just buying it directly on Uplay.

There's some saves here, using the Steam version as well;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\a2df12c8-3eac-4486-ad2c-d95f8a6cc736\54

Not sure if it's them.

K' Dash

This game is punishing my 7850, but damn, it looks fine.

2012_11_25_00001.jpg

Of course still images don't make justice to this game, you'd have to see this moving @ 60fps to really appreciate what Ubi has done.

Raven77

One thing thats always bothered me about the Ass Creed games is how blocky they look.

IDK just always reminds me of an old game from like 2004 with a bunch of fancy filters and nice textures.

haikira

There's some saves here, using the Steam version as well;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\a2df12c8-3eac-4486-ad2c-d95f8a6cc736\54

Not sure if it's them.

Actually. The reason i was wanting to find them, was so that i could backup certain saves from points in the game, so i could visit them again. But i just noticed you can replay chapters from the main menu.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

scitek

I wish I knew specifically what each setting turned on and off. Like, I noticed shadow quality turns on and off the extra AO on foliage, so I want that on max. I've found that if I run everything at max except environment quality at high, I can have AA set to Very High and still get 60fps pretty much everywhere, so I'm willing to make the trade after comparing screens:

Very High
ac3sp_2012_11_27_08_5rfuo0.png

High
ac3sp_2012_11_27_08_5hquyd.png

but does it turn off tessellation or anything I might want on? I have no idea. I wish they'd stop grouping together settings like this. It's annoying.

UrbanRats

What's the quickest way to lock the framerate at 30?I can get decent 60s, but i prefer the AA on veryhigh and a stable 30, than the framerate bouncing all over the place.

Also how do i know if tassellation is on or not? I can't see an option in the in game graphics menu. (and it doesn't seem to be on, tbh) Alright it's all in the Nvidia article.
Still, how do i lock at 30fps?

Damian.

Banned
I like how in the Geforce TXAA video one of the segments shows Boston and it lags like a motherfucker as new content is being loaded in. :D

Has anyone tried locking framerate to 30 and is it smooth? Why can't all games look as smooth as Dark Souls at 30?

dino1980

What's the quickest way to lock the framerate at 30?I can get decent 60s, but i prefer the AA on veryhigh and a stable 30, than the framerate bouncing all over the place.

Also how do i know if tassellation is on or not? I can't see an option in the in game graphics menu. (and it doesn't seem to be on, tbh) Alright it's all in the Nvidia article.

Use this program DXTory

Link

iNvid02

nvidia inspector has a frame rate limiter

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Use this program DXTory

Link
Don't use it.

*THE* best way to lock to 30 fps is as follows...

Use the half refresh rate option under v-sync available in nvidia inspector. Do NOT use the FPS limiter.

THEN, and this is important, use MSI Afterburner to limit that specific EXE to 30 fps as well. This mix of settings produces a very smooth, consistent 30 fps 95% of the time.

DXTory and various other solutions (including the limiter in inspector) result in a lot of microstutter when limiting to 30.

dino1980

Don't use it.

Use the half refresh rate option under v-sync available in nvidia inspector. Do NOT use the FPS limiter.

THEN, and this is important, use MSI Afterburner to limit that specific EXE to 30 fps as well. This mix of settings produces a very smooth, consistent 30 fps 95% of the time.

DXTory and various other solutions (including the limiter in inspector) result in a lot of microstutter when limiting to 30.

Ok thanks! Had some ms and couldnt see why this happened.

dino1980

Don't use it.

One thing! Dont you limit the .exe that you link to in nvidia inspector to 30fps by doing it there. Why do you also have to limit the .exe file in MSI Afterburner?

UrbanRats

Don't use it.

Thanks man.
Though i've played more and the framerate is actually pretty good, so i think i'll just keep it like this.

Gah, just started playing this game. So many graphical glitches and just general jank. Had a horse standing his front legs on some hay like it was totally normal, stuttering and jittering all over the place. Graphically this game can look great, though only Haythams face and Zyo (probably incorrect spelling) have really impressed me. Many though, look really off, especially Charles Lee, with his rape eyes.

Grass also looks like asshole. Defo the worst I've seen. Like lines of green stuff with terrible looking ambience occlusion attached to it.

So I seriously can't tell the difference between evironmental detail very high and high. But the performance increase is too hard to pass up. So High it is.

Top Bottom