• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

Yeah I mean although I don't like any of the launch games I've played (and Miiverse does nothing for me at all), I definitely think the system will be fine once great games start coming.

But it feels like one of the least polished Nintendo platforms of all time. I've never had so many bugs in a launch system before. And the OS... God. I've always felt that the Microsoft 360 OS is far too slow. But the Wii U OS makes that one feel like the Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzales had a child.

why did you not wait until Pikmin 3? I guess you get to suffer with the rest of us :3

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Most UK houses in are tiny-should be ok with the range! Especially households that have annoying kids and no iPads..

Besides, they don't need to know that.. ;)

Non-gaming functionality needed:

Netflix
Browser
Youtube
Possibly Email too..

I think it has most of those right?

The size isn't a problem, but damn it the brick walls are a pain in the ass for wifi signal.

I ended up sticking my wifi router in the ceiling cavity to get coverage all around the house, otherwise I'd be lucky to get signal in the next damn room! :p

Skyzard

Banned
The size isn't a problem, but damn it the brick walls are a pain in the ass for wifi signal.

I ended up sticking my wifi router in the ceiling cavity to get coverage all around the house, otherwise I'd be lucky to get signal in the next damn room! :p

Yeah that brick..only recently learnt Arrested Development was serious about those wooden houses in USA.

I (worryingly) sleep 1 meter from an access point to boost the signal upstairs..

Still - to the couch is all that is really needed.. should be ok within 1 room - often the kitchen is connected/very close-by to the living room too.

At the price they're asking and for what they are showing they needed more emphasis on the non-games. There wasn't enough hardcore games to push it for the premium they're asking..ZombiU needed a much longer and better explained ad too. Still have till christmas for the ads I'm sure though.

I work in the biggest region for a top UK games retailer (no shocks for guessing which) - and not ONE store achieved a 100% sell through on their stock.

I wonder if Game / online retailers got too much stock, which left a pissy taste in the mouths of other retailers. I tried a couple of Argos stores today, bought CoD from one (they had a single copy today, one Friday, none yesterday) and neither had any consoles whatsoever. Hilariously, one store had a big Wii U poster up (featuring the launch games) but it had been positioned out of sight, just past the end of the checkout. No supermarkets near me have anything to do with the console at this stage. It seems like a stupid move, because they're the places more likely to push it to casuals.

farnham

Banned
The problem with the Wii word of mouth surge happening with the Wii U is

1. The new controller is simply not as different or "revolutionary" as the motion controller of the Wii was. People already have tablets for gaming and the DS already did touch controls.

2. There is nothing the level of Wii Sports that so perfectly shows off the new controller to casuals. Nintendo Land is far from Wii Sports level of near perfect casual showpiece.

1. I have an ipad and trust me wiiu is very different from that experience.
2. Nintendoland so far from my experience is on par or even excels at showing what wiiu is about.. Also its a better singleplayer game

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wonder if Game / online retailers got too much stock, which left a pissy taste in the mouths of other retailers. I tried a couple of Argos stores today, bought CoD from one (they had a single copy today, one Friday, none yesterday) and neither had any consoles whatsoever. Hilariously, one store had a big Wii U poster up (featuring the launch games) but it had been positioned out of sight, just past the end of the checkout. No supermarkets near me have anything to do with the console at this stage. It seems like a stupid move, because they're the places more likely to push it to casuals.

It's like the complete opposite to NOA. LOL.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ibkq5xlL7O3bfF.gif

Wow. If we're not careful the number of bans in this thread will outnumber the UK sales of the Wii U.

Netflix
Browser
Youtube
Possibly Email too..
Reading is a big utility of tablets and most of the things you're describing are much better on actual tablets. The problem Nintendo is facing right now on this front, and will continue to face more and more from here on out, is that the tablet market is currently extremely competitive on multiple fronts. B&N just released a tablet roughly the size of an iPad, with a great screen and some various improvements/drawbacks, for $270. For the type of customer where tablet gaming (and gaming in general) is a more distant interest than those other tablet utilities that Nintendo would like to promote, prices and tech are going to get better and better through the life of the WiiU.

Amir0x

Banned
why did you not wait until Pikmin 3? I guess you get to suffer with the rest of us :3

I didn't really have a choice - I was going to wait, but my fiancee got me it as a gift for my birthday (it was November 24). Not that I'm complaining. I have a Wii U now... I just don't get much use of it yet :p

Oh, just realised the Dreamcast number was for the month of October rather than launch weekend. Anyway, found some more numbers.

PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
WII - 105K
3DS - 89-113K depending on source
NDS - 87K
360 - 70K
GCN - 69K
GBA - 67K
XBX - 52K
PS2 - 46K
PSV - 45-61K depending on source

Was the PS2 was supply constrained at launch?

It's ridiculous how overblown the Panic Mode Nintendo meme is. They were able to dramatically turn around 3DS because they already had the necessary software lined up for Q4 2011. A price cut alone wouldn't have been enough, and if Nintendoland and NSMBU really aren't enough to keep Wii U hardware moving at a decent rate for the first few months (which remains to be seen, but is looking increasingly likely), are Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 really going to do much?

MYE

Yeah I mean although I don't like any of the launch games I've played (and Miiverse does nothing for me at all), I definitely think the system will be fine once great games start coming.

There is no "must own" game for me either right now (C'mon 101!!!), and Miiverse IS the thing I'm actually dying to try out. I really wanna sketch and share on that thing lol. Seems like fun and sketching between play sessions or multiplayer turns was actually one of the things I used to do all the time as a kid.

ZombiU seems like it could be fun though. NSMBU can wait.

But it feels like one of the least polished Nintendo platforms of all time. I've never had so many bugs in a launch system before. And the OS... God. I've always felt that the Microsoft 360 OS is far too slow. But the Wii U OS makes that one feel like the Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzales had a child.

I admit that my lack of patience also has (in part) to do with certain things I've come to expect from Nintendo systems: They are always to the point, and they are reliable.

I'm sure these issues are being caused by shitty, last minute programming that will be soon patched up though. I hope so anyway

Oh, just realised the Dreamcast number was for the month of October rather than launch weekend. Anyway, found some more numbers.

PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
WII - 105K
NDS - 87K
360 - 70K
GCN - 69K
GBA - 67K
XBX - 52K
PS2 - 46K

Massively. They were selling for up to £800 on the black market weeks after launch as supply was so tight.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So is the consensus that nintendo shipped too much too soon?

My own opinion is that they've shipped "too little, too late" with non-existent marketing.

I love the idea of the Gamepad as a concept, but I'm not seeing an implementation of it good enough to sell me the console at the price it is at, nor do I yet see the games that make me want to dive in. But that's just my thoughts as a non-purchaser.

I also am a little put off my the asymmetric nature of 2 player gaming on it, if it had 2 Gamepads in the box I'd have been in like a squealing mofo.

Lyude77

The UK market is pretty depressed but I don't think it's dying.

I think there is just a lack of interest in buying a new console unless there is that killer software.

In my opinion Miiverse is a killer app. The GamePad as a universal remote and the ability to game within a reasonable distance is a real game changer. Just today I was about to turn on my PS3 for some Borderlands 2 but found myself kinda having withdrawal symptoms from playing on the GamePad in bed and sofa in total and utter comfort

Nintendo hasn't really understood imho how to sell the Wii U.

Dying was excessive, I agree. Compared to other markets, though, it's certainly not doing well.

Skyzard

Banned
Reading is a big utility of tablets and most of the things you're describing are much better on actual tablets. The problem Nintendo is facing right now on this front, and will continue to face more and more from here on out, is that the tablet market is currently extremely competitive on multiple fronts. B&N just released a tablet roughly the size of an iPad, with a great screen and some various improvements/drawbacks, for $270. For the type of customer where tablet gaming (and gaming in general) is a more distant interest than those other tablet utilities that Nintendo would like to promote, prices and tech are going to get better and better through the life of the WiiU.

You aren't wrong about the situation but I think you may be overestimating the knowledge/requirements of the consumers they should have been targeting at the moment (till they get their first party games in order).. Still they probably only recently got a Wii and can't afford the current price tag at all!

It's not really tablet gaming at all - it should be more appealing.

It's ridiculous how overblown the Panic Mode Nintendo meme is. They were able to dramatically turn around 3DS because they already had the necessary software lined up for Q4 2011. A price cut alone wouldn't have been enough, and if Nintendoland and NSMBU really aren't enough to keep Wii U hardware moving at a decent rate for the first few months (which remains to be seen, but is looking increasingly likely), are Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 really going to do much?

Yep. Honestly, if the Wii U doesn't do well, it will be the first time in Nintendo history where they weren't completely dominating in some field. Even through the N64 and GC eras the Gameboy line was killing everything. The NES and SNES were both market leaders along with the Wii. The 3DS is pulling mediocre numbers outside of Japan right now and the Wii U is being sold at a loss, so if the Wii U doesn't do well I don't think people want to see the panic mode Nintendo that would come out of it.

orioto

Good Art™
But wait, it probably has been discussed before but could the remaining stock be the white one ? This is an other similarity with the vita actually. Game companies should stop releasing useless sku.. That create bad stock and spoiled resources...

Everyone is panicking it seems, or partying to the death of Nintendo. It's probably a little too soon. Of course if the WiiU is indeed a big failure, you won't have to look long for the many reasons. But who knows at this point.

At least many peple including myself were saying something pretty clear and obvious some month ago. The WiiU isn't the monstruous one-in-20years mainstream potential that the Wii was. Actually, the whole casual potential of the WiiU is a giant question mark. This is a gamble. Problem is that we all know the Nintendo core without the Wii blue ocean equals gamecube sales, cause the PS360 audience has not been shifted at all. I mean it's mathematic.

Nintendo is clearly not doing anything right to actually take advantage of a year advance to steal some impatient gamers. They don't show any exclusive or known ips with some potential, and the third party situation is already worrying to say the least. Let's say the wait for the E3 to show off, to counter the next gen excitement. Well... It's gambling again. A megaton rain of impressive Nintendo ips will steal the show, but also clearly illustrate the delay in generation. I think Nintendo's chance will be if Microsoft and Sony don't impress cause they are not ready to showcase interesting titles.

Now that ZombiU bundle really did not pay off yet, I wonder if it was a good move.

I want some France numbers too

I didn't really have a choice - I was going to wait, but my fiancee got me it as a gift for my birthday (it was November 24). Not that I'm complaining. I have a Wii U now... I just don't get much use of it yet :p

lucky dude

I was going to add you but I read someone took your name

Skyzard

Banned
Yep. Honestly, if the Wii U doesn't do well, it will be the first time in Nintendo history where they weren't completely dominating in some field. Even through the N64 and GC eras the Gameboy line was killing everything. The NES and SNES were both market leaders along with the Wii. The 3DS is pulling mediocre numbers outside of Japan right now and the Wii U is being sold at a loss, so if the Wii U doesn't do well I don't think people want to see the panic mode Nintendo that would come out of it.

What does it have that costs so much? Seriously-?

Although it was Reggie that said it, he wouldn't lie to us.

The_Lump

Banned
Except that really doesn't seem to be the case by all accounts. It's in stock all over the place.

True, but it had also been out of stock temporarily all over the place. Which implies initial shipments (rumoured pre-launch to be round 40k) sold out and subsequent shipments are trickling in.

Amazon for example was out of stock of Premium bundles for the last few days, now saying stock expected 4th Dec.

What does it have that costs so much? Seriously-?

Although it was Reggie that said it, he wouldn't lie to us.

It was Iwata that said it not reggie. So unless he's lying to investors (which Nintendo strangely gets a lot off accusations of) it's being sold at a loss. Not a big loss, but one none the less.

I'm pretty sure it's the gamepad and the tech involved in streaming to it.

It's not like there is magic inside the thing. The likely reason is because of manufacturing, so once a good number of them get going the price should drop really quickly.

pswii60

Most UK houses are tiny-should be ok with the range! Especially households that have annoying kids and no iPads..

Besides, they don't need to know that.. ;)

Netflix
Browser
Youtube
Possibly Email too..

I think it has most of those right? The only one I remember seeing in the ads was netflix..and that isn't exactly all that well-known..

lol they're not that tiny.

I live in a small apartment and I can't use the GamePad in the room just next door to the lounge. Wish they'd included some kind of aerial extension socket or something so we could extend the range.
But wait, it probably has been discussed before but could the remaining stock be the white one ? This is an other similarity with the vita actually. Game companies should stop releasing useless sku.. That create bad stock and spoiled resources...

Everyone is panicking it seems, or partying to the death of Nintendo. It's probably a little too soon. Of course if the WiiU is indeed a big failure, you won't have to look long for the many reasons. But who knows at this point.

At least many peple including myself were saying something pretty clear and obvious some month ago. The WiiU isn't the monstruous one-in-20years mainstream potential that the Wii was. Actually, the whole casual potential of the WiiU is a giant question mark. This is a gamble. Problem is that we all know the Nintendo core without the Wii blue ocean equals gamecube sales, cause the PS360 audience has not been shifted at all. I mean it's mathematic.

Nintendo is clearly not doing anything right to actually take advantage of a year advance to steal some impatient gamers. They don't show any exclusive or known ips with some potential, and the third party situation is already worrying to say the least. Let's say the wait for the E3 to show off, to counter the next gen excitement. Well... It's gambling again. A megaton rain of impressive Nintendo ips will steal the show, but also clearly illustrate the delay in generation. I think Nintendo's chance will be if Microsoft and Sony don't impress cause they are not ready to showcase interesting titles.
You make some good points. The Wii U is definitely a confused product. Even NSMBU says "Press 2" on the title screen, when the GamePad doesn't have a "2" button. Of course, if you've got a Wii Remote then perhaps it'd make more sense. But the Wii U doesn't come with a Wii Remote. Between the GamePad, Wii Remote, the Pro Controller and then throwing Wii Motion Plus and nunchucks in to the mix, well... you get my point.

heh where were people discussing the dude who took my name? lol

i think that's pretty funny though

I think I first saw talk of it in the Nintendo Network thread with the google apps list then a few mentions in the Wii U Release Day thread

well hope you can get some use out of it soon don't let your lady hear you complain about her birthday gift to you :p

B.O.O.M

What are you talking about??

Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
Rayman
Best version of Aliens
Game and Wario

LOL this one is great.

But What exactly is Game and Wario?

Also I feel that Aliens game is having a lot of expectations on it now. Sure hope it ends up being a better version because we are not gonna hear the end of it if it isn't.

I think monster hunter will have a bigger impact than the games you mentioned. The wiiu version is scheduled for western release next year right?

Holy fuck at Brera. Is his guy for real?! That post at the bottom of the last page is surely permabanworhy. I don't come to Gaf for that shit.

What baffles me is how Nintendo haven't made a CoD-centric ad that shows off pointer controlled awesomeness and a disgruntled girlfriend demanding he continue playing on the game pad! Such a killer feature.

MS has cod marketing rights correct? For the home consoles I mean. I always thought that's the reason why

Skyzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's the gamepad and the tech involved in streaming to it.

Maybe..I mean I could believe the research for the motion sensing and low latency wifi setting them back a bit...but to actually cost that much? (UK price is insane).

It was Iwata that said it not reggie. So unless he's lying to investors (which Nintendo strangely gets a lot off accusations of) it's being sold at a loss. Not a big loss, but one none the less.

I meant the "Reggie: Wii U becomes profitable with one software purchase" - don't think I know what Iwata said... he said it was at a loss?

lol they're not that tiny.

I live in a small apartment and I can't use the GamePad in the room just next door to the lounge. Wish they'd included some kind of aerial extension socket or something so we could extend the range.

You make some good points. The Wii U is definitely a confused product. Even NSMBU says "Press 2" on the title screen, when the GamePad doesn't have a "2" button. Of course, if you've got a Wii Remote then perhaps it'd make more sense. But the Wii U doesn't come with a Wii Remote.

Damn such huge variation...must be interference and not just the brick houses ? If they could make an extension or booster somehow many would appreciate it..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think replacing Iwata would be a mistake, I do not think he is the problem at Nintendo. I actually like him and think he is trying his best.

Something is happening inside Nintendo though, company wide... the rumored new BIG restructuring of their internal studios is the second one of its kind in a not very long time window. We also need the launch of 3DS and Wii U which both felt rushed, without many huge first party releases, and with OS's that were lacking many features at launch (either needing a big launch day patch or waiting longer for the online shop, etc...) and/or that perform not as smoothly as one would like (Wii U is a charming system but it feels sluggish... it takes the system way too long to transition from one task to the next... inexcusable considering 1 GB of RAM being reserved for system purposes).
Rushed OS, rushed features, few games at launch, etc... it's not like DS and Wii were on the market for a couple of years and were mild successes. Nintendo had the time and cash flowing in to secure good supply chain deals and get working on games and software.

This is what I don't understand. Nintendo have had a long time to get their first part development machine in order, and yet still we see limited releases on their home and handheld machines. They know third party content isn't great - especially on Wii - yet didn't support it with software for the past 2 years.

This is what I don't understand. Nintendo have had a long time to get their first part development machine in order, and yet still we see limited releases on their home and handheld machines. They know third party content isn't great - especially on Wii - yet didn't support it with software for the past 2 years.

Nintendo has a good first party setup, except for the fact that 3rd parties don't prop up the droughts in between releases. For the amount of staff they have, Nintendo is probably the most efficient video game company. What exactly were they going to support the Wii with? They use their main teams on both handheld and console so they have to move on to the next systems before the old one has ended.

Amir0x

Banned
I think I first saw talk of it in the Nintendo Network thread with the google apps list then a few mentions in the Wii U Release Day thread

well hope you can get some use out of it soon don't let your lady hear you complain about her birthday gift to you :p

haha someone wasted an account to do lame parody jokes

ah, the lengths people will go. I have four usernames I use across the web, it makes no difference that someone decided to use that one ;P

Ashes

Banned

PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
WII - 105K
NDS - 87K
360 - 70K
GCN - 69K
GBA - 67K
XBX - 52K
PS2 - 46K

No. I remember it sweeping through Europe. There were not enough consoles on shelves. Most likely well over 100,000. Well well over.

You have a source for your number?

Floex

today I was about to turn on my PS3 for some Borderlands 2 but found myself kinda having withdrawal symptoms from playing on the GamePad in bed and sofa in total and utter comfort

This me made laugh so hard. I know you probably didn't mean the way you have put it but you do realise you can do this with other consoles :shock: you can even play them on bigger screens too

Bumhead

Banned
Surely the big take away from that list of launch numbers is how utterly irrelevant day one figures are to the future success of a console.

Trying to extrapolate the success or failure of the Wii U according to that list is a really strange and ultimately pointless exercise.

LOL this one is great.

But What exactly is Game and Wario?

Also I feel that Aliens game is having a lot of expectations on it now. Sure hope it ends up being a better version because we are not gonna hear the end of it if it isn't.

I think monster hunter will have a bigger impact than the games you mentioned. The wiiu version is scheduled for western release next year right?
Game & Wario is essentially Wario Ware meets Game & Watch. Developed by Intelligent Systems (Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Wario Ware, Crashmo, etc). It might do okay.

MH3 did ~800k in the west, so hopefully MH3U does just as well or better. I think Pikmin 3 will do well enough. The biggest Q1 seller/driver isn't even listed though (Wii Fit U).

And don't believe Pitchford's Aliens CM hype. The U version's farmed out to Demurge, I expect it's be a similar story to the other problematic ports (forced vsync yielding worse framerates).

Surely the big take away from that list of launch numbers is how utterly irrelevant day one figures are to the future success of a console.

Trying to extrapolate the success or failure of the Wii U according to that list is a really strange and ultimately pointless exercise.
Slightly true, but next week is still important.

But no, no console sells its LTD in a week and these numbers can only be a critique of how things have gone 'so far'.

Top Bottom