• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That Last Of Us - May 7, 2013

So is this game shaping to be a game in the uncharted sense or a game in the "game" sense?

The previews have leaned toward making it seem different than the uncharted single player formula

Cyberia

Kurt Margenau ‏@kurtmargenau

Sigh, why do I read the gaf? If anyone's listening, TLOU isn't being made by "the U2 team". "U2 team" was evenly spread across U3 and TLOU.

Josh Scherr ‏@joshscherr

@arnemeyer @kurtmargenau @wildspeculation Hey Arne, maybe it's time to edumacate NeoGAF on the whole "U2 team on TLOU" nonsense?

Taylor Kurosaki ‏@taylorkurosaki

#TheLastOfUs is a @Naughty_Dog game, period. Not, “this one’s made by these guys, that one’s made by those guys.” One culture, one process.

You heard it Gaf!

Luthos

The correction is appreciated, though they sound surprisingly angry about it...

It's not that surprising. It's kinda making a stigma that the "UC2/Last of Us team" makes the better games, and the "UC3 team" makes the lesser ones.

And, whether it's true or not, there's hardly been enough games for there to even be a pattern to the "team's" quality.

Dabanton

Well they've shot down that particular assumption.

It must be annoying as hell for devs to read some of this stuff and in most cases not being able to comment. Lest it start a back and forth between you and the 'fanbase'.

Zen

Banned
It's not that surprising. It's kinda making a stigma that the "UC2/Last of Us team" makes the better games, and the "UC3 team" makes the lesser ones.

And, whether it's true or not, there's hardly been enough games for there to even be a pattern to the "team's" quality.

Hopefully the team responsible for U3 ends up getting enough time to polish their next game up, something that we've heard as much to suggest they didn't have for U3. personally U3 didn't feel up to the quality of the previous entries in the series and had some frankly surprising issues (aiming and pacing to name a few). The fanbase doesn't want to have a scenario where it seems like one 'team' is outputting the worse games, but from what we were told, a lot of the U2 leads went over to TLoU.

Here's hoping that the guys responsible for U3 hit the next one out of the park.

I loved U3. U2 is still my favorite, but U3 was great. Saying it sucks is like saying it was a spectacular disappointment.

It's not like it's Godfather 3 :p

Yeah, there's generally alot of hyperbole around Uncharted 3 (from lovers of UC2). Both are amazing games in my mind, just thought Uncharted 2's willingness to give you complete control at all times made it the better game.

Cade

But it IS being made (directed? what's the right word oh god) by Bruce Straley, who was largely responsible for U2's greatness.

(And I'm one of those people who thinks U3 and U2 are almost equal, with U2 taking the lead over U3 for sheer overall experience and first-time wow)

I don't get the lust for the U2 team to be making TLOU. I think Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are both fantastic games. In some ways the latter surpassed the former, for example the chase scenes were exceptionally good and the environments felt much more alive.

cameron

I think those who were differentiating between the two teams were really referring to the game's directors and designers. Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley worked on UC2, but aren't given any credits for UC3.

I liked both UC2 and UC3 a lot, and they both have design choices at certain points that I didn't care for, so I dunno.

Dabanton

I felt the main problem with UC3 is their was no way they could top the impact UC2 had.

I mean bigger setpieces do not always make for a better game and that's the only way UC3 could go.

It still was a great game but not as great as UC2 for me.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I felt the main problem with UC3 is their was no way they could top the impact UC2 had.

I mean bigger setpieces do not always make for a better game and that's the only way UC3 could go.

It still was a great game but not as great as UC2 for me.

U3 was a step backward it suffered from terrible pacing, bad encounter design,enemy placement and dreadful enemy hit reaction

I still enjoy U3 despite some disappointment, and I attribute that to rushing the game out and if I remember right, scheduling conflict with Cutter voice actor must have been further problem for them. I think Graham supposed to have much bigger role than what we have, I assume him leaving left ND for The Hobbit force ND to shuffle around their story and setpieces to fit the new story hastily.

which explain why Cutter missing in 2nd half of the game, and you got the seemingly pointless pirate ship level. ND have said that they make the story around the setpieces for Uncharted games, but I think Amy Hennig as the writer is skilled enough to string together the setpieces in a much better more natural way than what we got.

Majmun

I would kill for a Naughty Dog sci-fi game. Oh lawd.

Only the idea...
ib17xKxFIkeLaS.gif

guess i'm in the minority that thought U3>U2>U1. they literally upped the ante with each entry, i loved it :D

and stop with the U2 team / U3 team, there isn't two teams. well there is, but they are mixed, so whatever comes out next isn't the U2 or U3 team cuz whatever team is making it has members from both. its all Naughty Gods anyways :)

i-Lo

U3 was a step backward it suffered from terrible pacing, bad encounter design,enemy placement and dreadful enemy hit reaction

Don't agree at all with pacing. Found it to be better than uc2.
Agree somewhat on enemy encounter design & placement.
Dreadful hit reaction- Wut? Didn't find to b any different from uc2.
The biggest issues with uc3 were controls (later patched), overuse of certain mechanics & certain level designs.

jet1911

wow. I do not envy the one who has to clean those suit. image how hard it would be to get the dirt and mud between those crevices.

Most unpractical looking suit ever. :p

EDIT: The "undisclosed Project, Crytek" art in the Environment page are looking amazing. :eek:

Drencrom

The pacing and character development in U3 was not as good in U2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5OA0QKEFQ

Naughty Dog has even openly said that they set the release date to early and that's why they won't make the same mistake with TLOU. They had a big crush at the end of the U3 development (game breaking bug with older PS3 consoles) and it doesn't surprise it wasn't as polished as U2.

You heard it Gaf!

There probably isn't U2/U3 teams @ ND that GAF makes it out to be, but there are different directors and designers.

Uncharted 2

Director(s): Bruce Straley (game director), Amy Hennig (creative director)

Designer(s): Richard Lemarchand, Neil Druckmann

Uncharted 3

Director(s): Amy Hennig (creative), Justin Richmond

Designer(s): Richard Lemarchand

What about The Last of Us?

The Last of Us

Director(s): Neil Druckmann (creative director), Bruce Straley (game director)

Designers: N/A
Yeah, the missing guys from Uncharted 2

Cade

The pacing and character development in U3 was not as good in U2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5OA0QKEFQ

Naughty Dog has even openly said that they set the release date to early and that's why they won't make the same mistake with TLOU. They had a big crush at the end of the U3 development (game breaking bug with older PS3 consoles) and it doesn't surprise it wasn't as polished as U2.

There probably isn't U2/U3 teams @ ND that GAF makes it out to be, but there are different directors and designers.

What about The Last of Us?

Yeah, the missing guys from Uncharted 2

...! Interesting. I always assumed Hennig was still in the same role. She's still working on TLOU, right?

If not... what is she working on

UrbanRats

wow. I do not envy the one who has to clean those suit. image how hard it would be to get the dirt and mud between those crevices.

They probably just dip them into a futuristic cleaning super liquid, man.
It's the future, no one is cleaning shit with a toothbrush in the future.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Dreadful hit reaction- Wut? Didn't find to b any different from uc2.
in uc3 your bullets becomes useless and has no effect as soon as enemies start running or shooting at you (specially when your using handgun) this was not the case in uc2 and uc1

Himself

I've avoided basically every trailer and every bit of info about this game, but I have one crucial question before I order it. I heard there's multiplayer and that usually chops a few bucks off what I'm willing to pay for a game.

Is the single player supposed to be substantial? Not just in terms of length, but in terms of reason to play more than once? Not even sure if this info exists yet, but I'm guessing someone has at least asked " how long is the campaign?" by now.

omonimo

Banned
I have the impression a lot of people overrated too much uncharted 2. I don't said is a bad game, but I haven't found it that incredible better of uncharted 3, honestly. To the contrary, I continue to thing uncharted 1 is the best of whole package & really underrated from the most; the scripted gameplay of the sequels is so annoying for me. Fortunately, TLoU seems so intriguing & this generation need of a real survival horror finally.

i-Lo

Yeah ok, it sucked. It was on Duke Nukem levels of suck, 5/10 max...

On GAF, it's mostly a dual system. If it's not "great" it "sucks". And judgement is rendered unto the whole game as opposed to just parts of it.

And this is why I feel bad for ND and how high expectations (bordering on unrealistic for some). Good thing is, at the end of the day, forums don't constitute for the millions of people who may find the game enjoyable in its entirety without being completely soured by some shortcomings.

I watched this trailer, the extended E3 demo and the announcement demo again.
Before playing TWD I thought this looked good, but the whole Zombies/Humans both being enemies is awesome.
I also quite like that the characters are much less comic than in Uncharted, as it suits the game better.
*Hopefully* they make the UK date a Wednesday like with Uncharted, I would rather a Tuesday, but I doubt they'll do it.

Top Bottom