• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Well it sold less than the Vita so I guess that wasn't an out there thing to say?

lines were smaller at specific stores - and mostly Yodobashi branches due to them pulling preorders and being the last company to provide them (so if you wanted a preorder, and as they were available easily for months, you were likely to go elsewhere)

Ikebukero seems to have been the choice for preorders this time - talk of 400 people queuing there.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What was the vitas first week sellthrough?

Unless the media reports were innaccurate, it had an initial shipment of 500k, so it sold a bit over 60% first week and wasn't even close to selling out after its second week.

Hero

For Shibuya, Shinjuku and Akihabara :

it was available
and it is still available
and in numerous places

I really don't know what to tell you. I don't see what i gain by saying that's the case when it's not when a good 20-30 people who live here can go verify it too.

You are more than welcome to believe it completely sold out everywhere. Go for it!

Compared to what you were saying before figures were released and the data that was just released by professionals who do you think was closer and more accurate? Because going by what you said in previous threads it sure didn't seem like a 90% sell-through rate.

DCharlie

Compared to what you were saying before figures were released and the data that was just released by professionals who do you think was closer and more accurate? Because going by what you said in previous threads it sure didn't seem like a 90% sell-through rate.

I'm still saying the same thing now - preorders available right up to the week before then pulled, low visibility in stores, limited advertising, and stock in stores with no sell out.

The 90% sell through rate is on a shipment that dropped 300k first few days which honestlym I'm surprised that Nintendo managed to get that many sales when they seemed to have put in a minimum of PR and push for the machine. So that's great for them and for the machine - would have been more if they'd pushed it and demo'ed the damned thing.

My figures are obviously wrong (i actually corrected the prediction for the month upwards if you look in that thread to 480k) but everything i said about the visibility of the product, the lack of a sell out and the pulling of preorders was happening.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My figures are obviously wrong (i actually corrected the prediction for the month upwards if you look in that thread to 480k) but everything i said about the visibility of the product, the lack of a sell out and the pulling of preorders was happening.

90% is almost a virtual sellout. Sure, it is not 100% sold out and I don't think you are lying about seeing units in stores, but the numbers speak for themselves.

DCharlie

90% is almost a virtual sellout. Sure, it is not 100% sold out and I don't think you are lying about seeing units in stores, but the numbers speak for themselves.

well, yes, i've already conceded that if the bulk of the 10% excess came to Tokyo then you are talking about an extra 30k units kicking about.

Not denying - Nintendo did great given it seemed all but damn it a softlaunch.

liger05

I'm still saying the same thing now - preorders available right up to the week before then pulled, low visibility in stores, limited advertising, and stock in stores with no sell out.

The 90% sell through rate is on a shipment that dropped 300k first few days which honestlym I'm surprised that Nintendo managed to get that many sales when they seemed to have put in a minimum of PR and push for the machine. So that's great for them and for the machine - would have been more if they'd pushed it and demo'ed the damned thing.

Why the soft launch approach in Japan and every other region?

Well you didn't exactly present the info in that fashion. You originally posted saying how a store that had tons lined up for Vita has barely anyone for Wii U. Then went on how you thought the Wii U had a soft launch and didn't seem to be doing so well. Than after a few pages went by you edited your original post and at the bottom in parenthesis said oh btw Wii U has a gigantic line at a different store. You presented the info in an alarmist fashion and talked on for a while of Wii U not doing as well as people were anticipating. You missed pointing out vital information such as preorders had been pulled from the store which is why lines were short for that particular store.

While I'm sure your insight and observations are appreciated but it tends to become diluted. It's been a consistent thing where you drastically under shoot Nintendo related things while drastically over shooting Sony related things. Its obvious you enjoy vita and want to see it do well and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. From what I understand it has a library that a lot of owners on here appreciate and it's natural to want to see a product you purchased do well. However, I think you allow it to cloud your judgement a bit too much. A lot of people on GAF and sales threads skew their observations, predictions and conclusions based upon their personal preferences. It happens with the majority of posters here including myself. The problem why you're picked out more often than not is because of your outrageous predictions and skewed perceptions on things. While your input and personal observations are welcome and appreciated getting too deluded with your personal preferences dilutes the value of your observations from Japan.

To have a scenario where the Wii U was available at many stores like DCharlie described that also fits in with the 90% sellthrough rate, then we must assume 300k is the upper limits of the current Wii U demand, which is reasonable considering the Vita launched even better and we know all know how that turned out. We must also take into account the fact that we haven't had a system launch with Mario in a long time, especially one launching with Dragon Quest and MH also. We can see the Vita's launch was driven by the hardware rather than the software as software was very low, the opposite is true with the Wii U.

For now all we can do is wait til next weeks numbers to see how things are fairing, if there's a big drop Vita style then we can assume what DCharlie was accurate and not just exaggeration, but if sales hold steady then we can safely disregard anything he says Nintendo wise, if you weren't already disregarding him for the MH/Vita stuff.

Hero

Well you didn't exactly present the info in that fashion. You originally posted saying how a store that had tons lined up for Vita has barely anyone for Wii U. Then went on how you thought the Wii U had a soft launch and didn't seem to be doing so well. Than after a few pages went by you edited your original post and at the bottom in parenthesis said oh btw Wii U has a gigantic line at a different store. You presented the info in an alarmist fashion and talked on for a while of Wii U not doing as well as people were anticipating. You missed pointing out vital information such as preorders had been pulled from the store which is why lines were short for that particular store.

While I'm sure your insight and observations are appreciated but it tends to become diluted. It's been a consistent thing where you drastically under shoot Nintendo related things while drastically over shooting Sony related things. Its obvious you enjoy vita and want to see it do well and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. From what I understand it has a library that a lot of owners on here appreciate and it's natural to want to see a product you purchased do well. However, I think you allow it to cloud your judgement a bit too much. A lot of people on GAF and sales threads skew their observations, predictions and conclusions based upon their personal preferences. It happens with the majority of posters here including myself. The problem why you're picked out more often than not is because of your outrageous predictions and skewed perceptions on things. While your input and personal observations are welcome and appreciated getting too deluded with your personal preferences dilutes the value of your observations from Japan.

file.php

Well said.

This. I also remember he said a few times that MH3G was in the bargain big, when even on Amazon was on full price or close to, and the Best Price version is selling well despite costing more than what he said he could find in many stores. Weird.

hiska-kun

Media Create Software:

01./00. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 356.757 / NEW <65,80%>

21./28. [3DS] Kobito Zukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040)
22./10. [PSV] Atelier Totori Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 2 # <RPG> (Gust) {2012.11.29} (¥6.090)
23./30. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
24./32. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
25./29. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
26./34. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
27./00. [PS3] Saints Row: The Third - Full Package <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.12.06} (¥4.179)
28./33. [3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.22} (¥5.040)
29./12. [WII] Kamen Rider: Ultra Climax Heroes <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥6.280)
30./00. [WIU] Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.08} (¥7.140)
31./23. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
32./25. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980)
33./09. [PSV] Fate/Stay Night -Realta Nua- <ADV> (Kadokawa Shoten) {2012.11.29} (¥6.300)
34./14. [PS3] Assassin's Creed III <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.11.15} (¥7.770)
35./00. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.12.03} (¥5.800)
36./41. [PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980)
37./11. [PSP] Kamen Rider: Ultra Climax Heroes <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥6.280)
38./44. [3DS] Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone <HOB> (Nintendo) {2012.09.13} (¥3.800)
39./35. [3DS] Dangerous Ji-San to 1000-nin no Otomodachi Yokoshima <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.22} (¥5.040)
40./00. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980)
41./15. [3DS] Naruto: SD Powerful Shippuden <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.230)
42./00. [WIU] Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.08} (¥7.140)
43./00. [WIU] Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.08} (¥6.980)
44./00. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800)
45./00. [WIU] Assassin's Creed III <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2012.12.08} (¥7.770)
46./37. [PS3] Okami HD <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.11.01} (¥3.990)
47./00. [3DS] Nicola Kanshuu: Model Oshare Audition Platina <SLG> (Alchemist) {2012.11.08} (¥5.980)
48./24. [3DS] E.X. Troopers <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.22} (¥5.990)
49./27. [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.10.11} (¥6.090)
50./45. [PS3] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Edition <ADV> (Sega) {2012.11.01} (¥5.229)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 9
WIU - 8
WII – 7
PSP – 3
PSV – 2
NDS – 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.646.000 |  1.216.000 |  2.018.000 | 45.246.000 | 46.020.000 |

According to Media Create, Yakuza 3 and 4 had around 100k pre-orders. Yakuza 5 around 182k pre-orders. Suggest that few new buyers this time, while fans keep fix.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For now all we can do is wait til next weeks numbers to see how things are fairing, if there's a big drop Vita style then we can assume what DCharlie was accurate and not just exaggeration, but if sales hold steady then we can safely disregard anything he says Nintendo wise, if you weren't already disregarding him for the MH/Vita stuff.

What Vita stuff are you talking about? I only remember his false predictions for Monster Hunter 3. I think even if his preferences might colour his perceptions, his observations don't seem to be totally overshot. The thing is, Nintendo is said to have had three shipments (if I'm wrong, correct me), it seems like Nintendo chose a bit of a different approach for this launch compared to earlier launches and thus presenting a different kind of image. This might be good, because people don't just give up on getting a Wii U, but it might also be harmfull, if more poeple perceive it the way DCharlie has and think it's not in a huge demand. Because this could well lead to it really not being in huge demand which could seriously hamper its sales potential, especially considering its barren release list for the next few months.

Nevertheless, Nintendo has a big battle ahead of itself, even if Wii U proves to be successfull in Japan, they can't be fine with the sales performance in Europe. Considering Europe is usually the last region to get anything this doesn't bode well for the Wii U here - and could have negative effects on Wii U's software support in the future.

Seing the launch numbers in Japan and the US, I'm at least somewhat convinved, that Nintendo still has a bit of additional mindshare left and while obviously even in a best case scenario (which involves the suprisingly big quality of Nintendo Land getting a lot of positive word of mouth) it will not match the Wii, it will most likely also not fail as miserably as the GameCube has.

DCharlie

What Vita stuff are you talking about? I only remember his false predictions for Monster Hunter 3. I think even if his preferences might colour his perceptions, his observations don't seem to be totally overshot. The thing is, Nintendo is said to have had three shipments (if I'm wrong, correct me), it seems like Nintendo chose a bit of a different approach for this launch compared to earlier launches and thus presenting a different kind of image. This might be good, because people don't just give up on getting a Wii U, but it might also be harmfull, if more poeple perceive it the way DCharlie has and think it's not in a huge demand. Because this could well lead to it really not being in huge demand which could seriously hamper its sales potential, especially considering its barren release list for the next few months.

Nevertheless, Nintendo has a big battle ahead of itself, even if Wii U proves to be successfull in Japan, they can't be fine with the sales performance in Europe. Considering Europe is usually the last region to get anything this doesn't bode well for the Wii U here - and could have negative effects on Wii U's software support in the future.

Seing the launch numbers in Japan and the US, I'm at least somewhat convinved, that Nintendo still has a bit of additional mindshare left and while obviously even in a best case scenario (which involves the suprisingly big quality of Nintendo Land getting a lot of positive word of mouth) it will not match the Wii, it will most likely also not fail as miserably as the GameCube has.

thank you! there's some of you making this something it isn't. I'd love to see where i'm over shooting Vita/Sony stuff too. My take on Japan this xmas is that the 3DS was going to crush everything else.

Well you didn't exactly present the info in that fashion. You originally posted saying how a store that had tons lined up for Vita has barely anyone for Wii U

I said that , going over and over this, that there was a limited advertising campaign, little to no PR beyond booklets, no instore demos and a preorder scheme that didn't sell out despite being around for 3 months. All of those are -facts- whether you like them or not or see some sort of agenda is neither here nor there to me.

Then went on how you thought the Wii U had a soft launch and didn't seem to be doing so well. Than after a few pages went by you edited your original post and at the bottom in parenthesis said oh btw Wii U has a gigantic line at a different store. You presented the info in an alarmist fashion and talked on for a while of Wii U not doing as well as people were anticipating.

You missed pointing out vital information such as preorders had been pulled from the store which is why lines were short for that particular store.

wait - i pointed out the details about that line! I'm not sure why i'm getting dragged over coals. If you're looking at lines they were - on the whole - smaller than the Vita lines. It doesn't actually make a difference in the end but there you go.

Again - i'd love to know where i'm going big on Vita/Sony/or whoever - you people are seeing agendas that aren't there. Fair enough, the revised 480k prediction is likely to get blown away, but the idea that i'm apparently batting big predictions for one company and deliberately inventing a scenario for the other is laughable.

If i did want to troll any company there's FAR easier ways to do it than invent some weird sales scenario - again, you can ask whether what i wrote about the launch and the campaign was true or false to any number of JGAFfers - shite predictions on numbers aside, there's no bullshit in there.

But yeah, i think i've learned my lesson - i'll leave you guys to it.

test_account

XP-39C²
90% sell through is extremely good and should put to rest the asinine Vita comparisons.
The question is how much demand there is outside of those 90% though. If Sony had shipped about 400k Vitas at launch, it could also have seen a 90% sell through in the first two days. But we will see in the upcoming months :)

The question is how much demand there is outside of those 90% though. If Sony had shipped about 400k Vitas at launch, it could also have seen a 90% sell through in the first two days. But we will see in the upcoming months :)

Actually that still wouldn't have been 90%, but anyway the Vita comparisons never made any sense to begin with becomes hardware wise Vita had a good first week anyway. The only thing I remember people being negative on was how the software sold and what that could mean for the future. Things didn't truly become negative until Chris dropped that PSP>Vita bomb.

test_account

XP-39C²
Actually that still wouldn't have been 90%
I dont have any calculator here now (i didnt use one online either) so i just said "about". I thought that the Vita was around 350k, but i see not that it is around 320k instead.

EDIT: About the comparsion, i agree that it is too early to say much about long terms. The only thing we can compare now is the 1st week hardware and software numbers, and sellthrough.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If I'm seeing right, there's some comment on Sinobi about how SRT UX preorders started. Going with Google Translation ( unfortunately) it seems to say that its reservations started strongly. Can anyone confirm this?

Being more IT: since we know Wii U basically sold out compared to the shipment, and given how the biggest titles performed, I'd say it has a pretty good chance to have a good second week, if shipments allow it.

Acosta

Well said.

Well said my ass.

This is pure bullshit, the only thing DCharlied did was being wrong about a Monster Hunter sales prediction. That's it. He wan not agree with the wankfest some you were having with Monster Hunter and he got it wrong, such an unforgettable sin! getting a prediction wrong in the MC thread.

And the rest is just pure fiction and perception bias. I know DCharlie from many years and he only speaks his mind. When Sony was at his peak he criticized them when he perceived something he didn't like and people called him a "Sony hater", and now here we are. Incredible.

He just shared a casual observation (that little people can do here by the way, how many of you are in Japan?) about how he saw things based on actually being there, and he is being attacked by that?! What is the purpose of this thread then? masturbate each time 3DS breaks a new number? Don't you want to learn? Don't you want to hear from people actually being there? What are you doing here?

Give me a fucking break.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Unless the media reports were innaccurate, it had an initial shipment of 500k, so it sold a bit over 60% first week and wasn't even close to selling out after its second week.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33696949&postcount=1090

Dengeki Sales, Dec 12 - 18, 2011 (Week 51)

[PSV] Hardware - 318,000 [sell-through: ~60%]
[PSV] Weekly Software Units (ALL) - 270,000

You could have an idea how problematic Vita would turn already from first week.

As you can see how problematic Wii U launch is with pathetic sales and selltrough for software below top 3.

That would work if we knew that there was plenty of supply in Japan like Vita's second week. Wii had a big second week drop too (5 weeks for 2006 since it launched one week earlier).

Media Create

Famitsu

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone know an estimate of the total iPhone userbase in Japan (and I guess the likely percentage of that that uses it as predominant gaming device)?

Nibel

Well said my ass.

This is pure bullshit, the only thing DCharlied did was being wrong about a Monster Hunter sales prediction. That's it. He wan not agree with the wankfest some you were having with Monster Hunter and he got it wrong, such an unforgettable sin! getting a prediction wrong in the MC thread.

And the rest is just pure fiction and perception bias. I know DCharlie from many years and he only speaks his mind. When Sony was at his peak he criticized them when he perceived something he didn't like and people called him a "Sony hater", and now here we are. Incredible.

He just shared a casual observation (that little people can do here by the way, how many of you are in Japan?) about how he saw things based on actually being there, and he is being attacked by that?! What is the purpose of this thread then? masturbate each time 3DS breaks a new number? Don't you want to learn? Don't you want to hear from people actually being there? What are you doing here?

Give me a fucking break.

DCharlie defense force :lol

Who gives a shit for how long you know him - calm down, dude, you are getting way too emotionally involved into an issue that isn't even a issue.

Road

http://www.falcom.com/kaisya/ir/pdf/121214.pdf

From the new Legend of Heroes PR:

2013&#24180;&#12289;&#26368;&#26032;&#20316;&#12302;&#33521;&#38596;&#20253;&#35500; &#38275;&#12398;&#36556;&#36321;&#12303;&#12391;&#12399;&#12289;PlayStation®Awards2013&#12395;&#12362;&#12356;&#12390;4&#24230;&#30446;&#12392;&#12394;&#12427;&#12300;&#12518;&#12540;&#12470;&#12540;&#12474;&#12481;&#12519;&#12452;&#12473;&#36062;&#12301;&#12395;&#21152;&#12360;&#12289; &#12300;&#12468;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489;&#12503;&#12521;&#12452;&#12474;&#12301;&#12418;&#21547;&#12416;&#12480;&#12502;&#12523;&#21463;&#36062;&#12434;&#30446;&#25351;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;​

My translation:

In the PlayStation Awards 2013, on top of getting the "User Choice" award for the 4th time in a row, we want the "Gold Prize" too!​

Gold Prize = 500,000 copies.

We can add Falcom to the "that was a delusional sales goal, I shouldn't have said that out loud..." list.

"Legend of Heroes" series sales stand at 1.78 million units.

squall23

If I'm seeing right, there's some comment on Sinobi about how SRT UX preorders started. Going with Google Translation ( unfortunately) it seems to say that its reservations started strongly. Can anyone confirm this?
I suck with Japanese slang but "big hit start" sure sounds like the preorders are opening well. Besides that fact that amazon seems to have it at 15% off.

Obligatory PRE-RELEASE BOMBA

What sales performance in Europe? Most of the anecdoctal evidence is coming from those in the UK, a severly declining game ecosystem. We don't have sales numbers from anywhere else

Lyude77

What sales performance in Europe? Most of the anecdoctal evidence is coming from those in the UK, a severly declining game ecosystem. We don't have sales numbers from anywhere else

I was about to say that Yoshi should edit Europe to UK. I would guess (a complete guess) that the Wii U is doing pretty well in Germany and France.

Also, I would not jump down DCharlie's throat for being bad at predicting Japanese sales :)P). I'm sure his observations were accurate, even if they were negative and the results ended positively (so far).

Koralsky

Google translate from Yakuza Studio Facebook page:

"Thanks a big hit! "Dreams 5 Yakuza, who do come true" domestic shipments surpassed half a million!
And this surpassed 6 million "Yakuza" series also cumulative worldwide shipment!"

test_account

XP-39C²
He actually mentioned these things. This is what he said before he posted the Vita line picture:

I wouldn't count on the queue thing - hell, for the MH thing i traveled -all night- around Tokyo (from midnight until about 7:30am) and the queues were tiny.

By the time i got home it seemed like the whole of TK had decended on Yodo Aki.

That said - for the PS3 launch they had to open up the underground car park for the masses of people waiting.

Again - whether i'm right on the figure seems unlikely unless the rumour of a shipment of -only- 300k turns out to be true. The only other weird thing is that all the preorders seem to have been pulled between thursday/friday of last week.

And, as moaned about elsewhere, Nintendo didn't put out A SINGLE DEMO UNIT. Not ONE. In either Shinjuku, Shibuya, Aki, etc.

Here he mention that queues doesnt necessarily mean much, giving PS3 as an example. He also mentioned that WiiU pre-order slips had been pulled from stores earlier.

He mentioned the pre-order stuff when he posted the Vita line picture as well, and that there was a big line at another store:

This said - Yodobashi abandoned preorders at the last moment when they first became available and they didn't start until some time later. Still, i'd have thought they'd have had more than 30 people, but - hey - sounds like everyone went to Ikebukero for their unit this time (reports of 3-400)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Google translate from Yakuza Studio Facebook page:

"Thanks a big hit! "Dreams 5 Yakuza, who do come true" domestic shipments surpassed half a million!
And this surpassed 6 million "Yakuza" series also cumulative worldwide shipment!"

Before celebrating you have to sell that half million shipment without price collapse Yakuza Studio.

DCharlie is the center of Media Create threads every December with his anecdotal reports and predictions.

Hero

Well said my ass.

Give me a fucking break.

Don't have a meltdown bro.

I think the U will see a huge drop next week. The poor software sales tell me this 90% sell-through was just because it was launch week. Even Vita had a good launch week. The U won't be a big success in JP, imo.

Top Bottom