• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynosure

burlesque.jpg

blonde-burlesque-christina-aguilera-Favim.com-324207.jpg

yexSR.jpg

uD2Kf.jpg

eternal youthtina
ec20fb7f.gif

botty

Banned
lol, it wasn't meant to be a crack about her looks. Xtina is still very pretty. I just assumed she was closer to her 40s for some reason. I don't follow their careers closely enough it seems.

Well, she is probably the youngest legend ever. So I can understand why you may have assumed she was up in age with the other legends.

c3ed7b23.gif

Is matt in burlesque?

VjvlV.gif

Something I've been working on for a while, just for POP-GAF:

THE 50 BEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL POP ALBUMS OF MODERN MUSIC

1) How this listed was compiled:

I wanted to celebrate the modern albums that served as revolutionary, evolutionary, or perfected formulas for modern pop music. We spend a lot of time giving props to the classic pop albums of old, but the honest truth is that the last fifteen or so years have served pop material that are arguably more profound, diverse, powerful, and inspiring. And especially given our (generally) young community here, nothing seems more right than paying homage to the most brilliant pop musical moments of our generation.

For that reason, I only included albums that launched post-1995. Most of the albums on the list come from post-2000, but I won't argue that the late 90s served as probably the most pivotal shift in pop since the 1960s.

2) What makes a great or influential pop record:

1) An album that perfects a formula that was either a work-in-progress or not-quite-done-right,
2) An album that holds socio-political weight or that utilizes contemporary culture to elevate the music,
3) An album that serves as a turning point for what we consider to be mainstream in pop,
4) An album with strong, clever and well-constructed thematic elements, OR
5) An album with a brilliantly cohesive sound, whose songs all fit together like a finely-crafted puzzle.

3) This is a subjective list

Though I did approach the list with the most objective perspective I could muster, this is still very much MY list. I find inspiration in very different kinds of material, and considering my own (often bizzare) taste in pop music and the fact that I haven't listened to every album there ever was, the list is simply a look into my pop tastes at this specific moment in time. Rankings will always change and develop over time, and I'm hoping that in five years this list will look dramatically different.

ALBUMS 50-41 COMING SOON

Mumei

I am looking forward to this, 'scribe.

lol, it wasn't meant to be a crack about her looks. Xtina is still very pretty. I just assumed she was closer to her 40s for some reason. I don't follow their careers closely enough it seems.

I think most pop singers really get started (not counting MMC here) around very late teens (18 - 19) to early 20s, so 32 makes sense considering she started about 1999. :)

Does anyone still watch 106th and Park? Alicia's video for Brand New Me is premiering on it today. I don't have cable, and even if I did I wouldn't watch that flop channel.

Delio

Waffle dear. Union J finally got that record deal! This is their interview on Daybreak confirming it.

Daybreak interview

Also good lord they are in the ugly sweater stage One Direction had to go through.

royalan

Can't wait for that list Soul-sis!!

Reminds me, better go and put my list up when i get home. Only up to #7. Composing these types of things is hard work. :(

Waffle dear. Union J finally got that record deal! This is their interview on Daybreak confirming it.

Daybreak interview

Also good lord they are in the ugly sweater stage One Direction had to go through.
Good for them!

Hopefully their music is good. Watched one of their performances the other day and I must say...Jaymi really is a good singer. Hope that translates over to their record.

botty

Banned
This gif was originally just meant to show how Beyonce has a certain affinity for looking white (and I'm talking crayola white) in her videos, but then her motions reminded me of Water Bending in that Avatar show... so I decided to throw in some clorox products. I kinda half-assed it, though... should have had more stuff.

beyonbleachxwfq0.gif

OH MY GOD I CAN'T aodfuakldshjfa;kldsjhfaldjffffffffffffff

Bleachonce-Gate is just my favorite thing. lol

@Royalan: I'm totally with you, it's exhausting as hell writing up a big piece, let alone one for every ranking :mad: But it's still tons of fun. Can't wait to see yours :)

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I got 23 ballots in total which is good enough to get a good consensus, time to start compiling I guess

Don't wanna break your heart
Wanna give your heart a break
I know you're scared it's wrong
Like you might make a mistake
There's just one life to live
And there's no time to wait, to waste
So let me give your heart a break, give your heart a break

ikdo3vdyZaTMl.gif

royalan

Last night's Aaliyah talk reminded me:

WUT happened to that Aaliyah album Drake was producing?

That unholy project seemed like a disrespectful mess from the get-go............but I was looking forward to it. ;__;

Mumei

I would be interested in unreleased tracks, B-sides that missed the album cut, and demos that Aaliyah recorded, but my interest in Drake's necroproject was and is zilch.

why is he so angry though, if i didn't know better i'd think he wrote an album that got rejected by clive davis

also lol:

"somewhere in the middle of that decade, a different kind of pop star took over: the kind who decided that being a professionally groomed studio act didn't mean sacrificing their sincerity or losing a personal connection to their music- acts like AVRIL LAVIGNE, P!NK..ASHLEE SIMPSON"

THIS POP SONG IS SO NOT AUTHENTIC. CRIE. He can fuck off back to pitchfork, tbh.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I am in love with this woman's voice today:

Ren Harvieu, "Something" (Beatles cover)
"Crying" (Roy Orbison cover)
"Sister Morphine" (Rolling Stones cover)
"River" (Joni Mitchell cover)
"Nobody Does It Better"
"Forever in Blue"
"Do Right By Me"

I like that her album has some bombastic Florence-y tracks, some synthpop, but at her core, she's this gorgeous, sultry chanteuse who'd be most at home in a retro nightclub.

WUT happened to that Aaliyah album Drake was producing?

Still coming. It was never slated any earlier than 2013.

Well, dang. I completely spaced on "Stronger" being from 2012 and neglected to include it on my ballot. It would've been in the top 3, too :(

Well, dang. I completely spaced on "Stronger" being from 2012 and neglected to include it on my ballot. It would've been in the top 3, too :(

Unless a travesty occurs I still expect it to make it to the final ballot. It was my #1.

Just like People Like Us will be my #1 next year.

(I am actually avoiding that song like none other so it can be fresh again by the time it hits radio)

I never cared for Stronger, but that article made me giggle. I prefer Catch My Breath and People Like Us.

Eh I agree with you on People Like Us. It is a far superior song and if there is an justice in the world it will smash (it will).

CMB is a snoozer though. Its not terrible for what it is but I think it was a terrible choice for a single. Same with Don't Rush on the country charts. Neither were really designed in a way that would enable them to "smash". Kelly really needs to work on getting more than one big hit on each album in the future.

Catch My Breath doesn't scream 'hit' but I'm glad it was released. I've never heard a more perfect Greatest Hits single. She seems so happy and it makes me happy. *.*

I...I'm not sure how I feel about People Like Us. It's such an obvious Stronger ripoff that if it were the lead single to a new album I would be not here for it at all. Since it's just a Greatest Hits album though I'll let it slide. I'm sure it'll do well because it's catchy as hell but I hope she's not setting herself up for radio accepting only a certain 'sound' from her.

My guess is that we'll see a real evolution on the next album- she seems to be in a totally different place in her life now and it's her last album with RCA so I'm willing to bet that they'll let her do what she wants (if only to make her happy enough to re-up with them). If she doesn't change up her music from the All I Ever Wanted/Stronger sound, I'll be disappointed.

Bladenic

Catch My Breath doesn't scream 'hit' but I'm glad it was released. I've never heard a more perfect Greatest Hits single. She seems so happy and it makes me happy. *.*

I...I'm not sure how I feel about People Like Us. It's such an obvious Stronger ripoff that if it were the lead single to a new album I would be not here for it at all. Since it's just a Greatest Hits album though I'll let it slide. I'm sure it'll do well because it's catchy as hell but I hope she's not setting herself up for radio accepting only a certain 'sound' from her.

My guess is that we'll see a real evolution on the next album- she seems to be in a totally different place in her life now and it's her last album with RCA so I'm willing to bet that they'll let her do what she wants (if only to make her happy enough to re-up with them). If she doesn't change up her music from the All I Ever Wanted/Stronger sound, I'll be disappointed.

Lol it's way past that.

Trigger

I can't explain why, but I'm suddenly liking Locked Out of Heaven more than I did initially. It's growing on me.

Eh I agree with you on People Like Us. It is a far superior song and if there is an justice in the world it will smash (it will).

CMB is a snoozer though. Its not terrible for what it is but I think it was a terrible choice for a single. Same with Don't Rush on the country charts. Neither were really designed in a way that would enable them to "smash". Kelly really needs to work on getting more than one big hit on each album in the future.

Maybe that's why I like it so much? So many calculated-to-smash songs on the chart and CMB just has such a relaxing, breezy sound to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom