• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre games from franchises that aren't

Fracas

#fuckonami
After finishing Assassin's Creed III a few days ago, I figured I'd go back and get to playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations, the only game in the series that I hadn't yet finished.

However, after giving it around 5-6 hours, I just stopped. Revelations isn't nearly as good as the other games in the series, and I just wasn't having fun.

That got me thinking; there are several games from franchises that I love that just aren't up to par with the other entries. Another one, and this one saddens me the most:
oDNAN.png

Halo: Reach. It changed up the mechanics of Halo, and, in my opinion, went against what made Halo, Halo.

So, what are other games in your favorite series that just didn't do it for you?

Foxix Von

Mass Effect 3.

The whole franchise is filled with tremendous characters and a brilliant sci fi universe however nearly everything falls flat and the universe fails to shine through in ME3 =/

Ratchet: Deadlocked... R&C was one of my favorite series of last gen, and this turd is what we got after (my favorite) UYA. I don't remember much (It's been a while), but yea... It took away the colorful charm of the games, the game got rid of Clank, platforming was pretty much non-existent.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo: Reach, a "mediocre" game?

lol
Go in the Halo OT and ask that. There are so many reasons why that game is bad lol
Mass Effect 3.

The whole franchise is filled with tremendous characters and a brilliant sci fi universe however nearly everything falls flat and the universe fails to shine through in ME3 =/
I was going to include that in the OP, but I was worried it'd be too controversial.

edit: What, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald bad? Nope.avi

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It seems mediocre its simply being different than the other games it seems. Super Mario Sunshine aint mediocre. It simply doesnt play like a traditional mario except for a few levels.

My choice would be SSX On Tour. They took out the personality of the characters and the special moves werent near as crazy as SSX Tricky or 3.

Vamphuntr

Halo Reach, MGS 3, Minish Cap and Super Mario Sunshine are mediocre games now?

To stay on topic I would say The Third Birthday if we assume it's part of the Parasite Eve series. Awful story, awful controls, boring hallways gameplay and little to no RPG elements.

Ratchet: Deadlocked... R&C was one of my favorite series of last gen, and this turd is what we got after (my favorite) UYA. I don't remember much (It's been a while), but yea... It took away the colorful charm of the games, the game got rid of Clank, platforming was pretty much non-existent.

While we're on that topic, R&C: Full Frontal Assault fits as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
256px-mgs4us_cover_smipbv6.jpg

For all the shit I give the series, and despite not being a huge, raving fan, Kojima's vision and the quirky unification of ideas and meta humour has always been extremely consistent throughout a vast majority of the series. For example, I don't really like Metal Gear Solid 2 very much. But I can at least acknowledge it's confident in the vision of gameplay, themes, and presentation it's trying to uphold. Confidence is the key, and probably the most redeeming quality of KojiPro's work.

Except for MGS4. Everything about the game stinks of muddled ideas, schizophrenic vision, and strikes me of a development cycle that fell victim to the difficulties of developing for then "next generation hardware". Like has happened to so many developers, especially in the East. It feels like a game that has no firm grounding in what it wants to be or do, because there's some excellent ideas there, but none are given even close to the room to grow to their potential. The story and themes are even more erratic and disconnected than any of the past games.

To me MGS4 just feels like an exceptionally mediocre game in all respects. Almost like it's not finished, or at some point in development, somewhere near the end, they looked back over the project and went "oh fuck, none of this is coming together", and realised they didn't have the time to overhaul much of what needed to be overhauled.

As an entire piece of work it's by far the weakest link in the mainline Metal Gear series.

injurai

Banned
256px-mgs4us_cover_smipbv6.jpg

For all the shit I give the series, and despite not being a huge, raving fan, Kojima's vision and the quirky unification of ideas and meta humour has always been extremely consistent throughout a vast majority of the series. For example, I don't really like Metal Gear Solid 2 very much. But I can at least acknowledge it's confident in the vision of gameplay, themes, and presentation it's trying to uphold. Confidence is the key, and probably the most redeeming quality of KojiPro's work.

Except for MGS4. Everything about the game stinks of muddled ideas, schizophrenic vision, and strikes me of a development cycle that fell victim to the difficulties of developing for then "next generation hardware". Like has happened to so many developers, especially in the East. It feels like a game that has no firm grounding in what it wants to be or do, because there's some excellent ideas there, but none are given even close to the room to grow to their potential. The story and themes are even more erratic and disconnected than any of the past games.

To me MGS4 just feels like an exceptionally mediocre game in all respects. Almost like it's not finished, or at some point in development, somewhere near the end, they looked back over the project and went "oh fuck, none of this is coming together", and realised they didn't have the time to overhaul much of what needed to be overhauled.

As an entire piece of work it's by far the weakest link in the mainline Metal Gear series.

you're good taste card has been revoked.

Top Bottom