• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre games from franchises that aren't

Rubius

Diablo_III_cover.png

Good night sweet prince

Yagharek

I think Wipeout Fusion fits the bill. You have excellent games in the name of the original, 2097, WO3, Pure, Pulse, HD, Fury and 2048. Fusion didnt really fit in.

Can't comment on WO64 since I never played it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
F.E.A.R. 3. (I refuse to write that abomination of a name with the 3 in place of the E)

It's a disgrace to the franchise, turning a psychological terror/horror FPS into a cover-based shooter with a co-op campaign (haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on that). The scary moments are completely predictable, the story's a mess, the in-level challenges are annoying. And the game is full of arena-like scenes, where you're locked in a small area and you can't advance until you kill every enemy, each one usually lasting for 5 minutes or more, totally ruining the pace of the game.

If it's your first F.E.A.R. game you may get some enjoyment out of it. But this game takes the franchise in a direction I don't like at all, and I don't think I'd buy a sequel if it followed this route. It really hurts me, this is (was?) one of my favorite series, having loved every main game, expansion and DLC ever released. But every love has a limit, and this game crossed it far enough.

Half of Super Paper Mario
Yeah, the half that was cut out. The rest is top-notch.

Kazerei

Banned
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I know people argue a lot about how they rank the other Zelda games. But it's clear there's a gulf between PH and ST, and all the rest.

Xeno_V

Metroid: Other M and Metroid Prime Hunters made my argument that "Metroid is the only series without any mediocre games" invalid.
Same goes for Mario games like NSMB DS and NSMB2 3DS. Mediocre is not the right word necessarily, but those games did not live up to the level of their respective franchises.

I know people argue a lot about how they rank the other Zelda games. But it's clear there's a gulf between PH and ST, and all the rest.

How could I forget about those games. Definitely the weakest entries in the series imo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
you're good taste card has been revoked.

It was my polite way of saying "Metal Gear Solid 4 is an unbelievably shitty Metal Gear game, both in gameplay and story, and should be retconned out of the series."

Valnen

Grand Theft Auto IV. The PS2 games were way better. They completely sucked all the fun out of driving cars which is like 90% of the game.

legacyzero

Banned
It was my polite way of saying "Metal Gear Solid 4 is an unbelievably shitty Metal Gear game, both in gameplay and story, and should be retconned out of the series."

As much as I liked MGS4, I cant argue with you.

I think Old Snake and the rapid aging concepts almost killed it for me, so much that I always had the Young Snake mask on :(

Resident Evil ORC , RE6 is great

Silent Hill Downpour

While it wasn't a good game in its own right, it certainly was the better of the most recent ones IMO. I'd put Homecoming there instead TBH.

Grand Theft Auto IV. The PS2 games were way better. They completely sucked all the fun out of driving cars which is like 90% of the game.

GTAIV will NEVER touch San Andreas. I worry that even GTAV wont =/

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Metroid: Other M and Metroid Prime Hunters made my argument that "Metroid is the only series without any mediocre games" invalid.

Metroid Prime Hunters is a great game if you understand that it's not meant to be just another Metroid Prime. It's a great (if unbalanced) multiplayer arena shooter. If you're judging it on it's SP content, you're doing it wrong.

hachi

Banned

Nope, it's not clear. I quite enjoyed both, particularly the dungeon design (and personally was quite fond of the timed Ocean temple that encouraged finding new paths and shortcuts.). The overworld wasn't particularly inspiring in either, I'll give you that (though better in PH), but far from mediocre games. I want another stylus-based Zelda.

Chrom

I thought Wario: Master of Disguise was a pretty poor game, but outside of this and Wario World, I've highly enjoyed all of the other Wario games I've played.

Vamphuntr

Suikoden 4 was the first that popped to mind

Suikoden 4 might be a pretty good example of this.

B-But you can have a party full of cat-people in the game!

4mQD3.jpg
Chiepoo disapproves.

Yeah it wasn't very good. Encounter rates on the sea was fairly high and there is next to no dungeons in the game and some of them are more or less hallways. Only 4 characters in battle too.

There was some interesting parts in the game story wise like how you run away and end up as cast aways on an island and the whole evolution of Snowe's character but overall it wasn't very great.

rvy

Banned
256px-mgs4us_cover_smipbv6.jpg

For all the shit I give the series, and despite not being a huge, raving fan, Kojima's vision and the quirky unification of ideas and meta humour has always been extremely consistent throughout a vast majority of the series. For example, I don't really like Metal Gear Solid 2 very much. But I can at least acknowledge it's confident in the vision of gameplay, themes, and presentation it's trying to uphold. Confidence is the key, and probably the most redeeming quality of KojiPro's work.

Except for MGS4. Everything about the game stinks of muddled ideas, schizophrenic vision, and strikes me of a development cycle that fell victim to the difficulties of developing for then "next generation hardware". Like has happened to so many developers, especially in the East. It feels like a game that has no firm grounding in what it wants to be or do, because there's some excellent ideas there, but none are given even close to the room to grow to their potential. The story and themes are even more erratic and disconnected than any of the past games.

To me MGS4 just feels like an exceptionally mediocre game in all respects. Almost like it's not finished, or at some point in development, somewhere near the end, they looked back over the project and went "oh fuck, none of this is coming together", and realised they didn't have the time to overhaul much of what needed to be overhauled.

As an entire piece of work it's by far the weakest link in the mainline Metal Gear series.
+1

DMC 2 also stands out in this category.

Daamn, I'm not even past the first page and people mentioned R/B/S, Sunshine and Reach? This thread is a serious disappointment.
I was expecting Metroid: Other M and Prime Hunters...

BiggNife

I doubt many people here have played it since it's a cell phone game, but Mass Effect Infiltrator. It's like the Metroid Prime Hunters of Mass Effects.

And I really liked Reach :( Then again, I was never a huge Halo fan anyway so maybe the fact that it tried some new things was why I enjoyed it.

TheOGB

Banned
Agreed on Ruby & Sapphire. Emerald was fantastic, though.

My contribution:

msh-vs-sf-animatied.gif

Nowhere near as fun as the games that came before (X-Men Vs. Street Fighter) and after (Marvel Vs. Capcom). It always seemed like a quick stopgap to hold people over for Marvel Vs Capcom to me.
Agree with this post, but even Ruby and Sapphire were better than these two:

qq more

Diamond/Pearl was mediocre but only because it was soooo slow. Platinum sped some things up so it became a much more enjoyable game.

As for mediocre games from franchises... I'm one of the few that loved the MMBN games but then there's that dreadful 4. Most of the scenarios were sooooooo boring/tedious/god awful and the main story gets ignored for a good 90% of the game because that 90% of it is the stupid tournaments.

Derrick01

Banned
Ratchet: Deadlocked... R&C was one of my favorite series of last gen, and this turd is what we got after (my favorite) UYA. I don't remember much (It's been a while), but yea... It took away the colorful charm of the games, the game got rid of Clank, platforming was pretty much non-existent.

This is a good example of a mediocre game in a good series. Otherwise this looks to be another itt: the classics are shit or really bad games now qualify as only mediocre thread.

Deadlocked was alright on its own but it was too far of a change from the core formula.

Top Bottom