• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre games from franchises that aren't

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fallout 3 and Oblivion. IMO both were games that felt like they were really flawed versions of their "true selves." The rest of the franchise in each case is pretty much banging on all cylinders.

antitrop

Wrong. It's not perfect, but the new SSX from this year is very fun.
Ya, I don't know what the hell he's talking about, either. SSX 2012 is pretty fucking great.

I think a lot of people are just predisposed to automatically dismiss reboots straight off.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
okay I've seen enough Skyward Sword mentions

ibdrAfxy7LJnHH.gif

iirate

It took too long to get to M:OM, as that is the best answer one could give in this thread. It took one of the most reputable series in gaming and ran its reputation through the mud. Prime Hunters could be excused as it was a multiplayer-focused spinoff - M:OM is a decent game in a vacuum, but doesn't begin to hold up to the pedigree of the rest of the series.

This is downright offensive. Gen III STILL has to be my favorite Pokemon gen(my Black 2 copy is still sealed behind me, so when I get to that I'll see if my opinion changes).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Other M immediately comes to mind. A fun game with an abysmal story and few of the exploration elements that makes the Metroid series.

antitrop

I'll agree with this merely on the premise that the enemies level up with you, the junctioning system is a joke, GF animations take forever and have no downside to their use, the Draw system is the worst thing ever introduced to the series outside of a story element, and everything about the Laguna storyline.

Final Fantasy VIII was a perfect disaster with only a few redeeming features.

Final Fantasy XIII is worse, though. In every single way possible except for the battle system.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, a disaster of a game in every way.

No matter your feelings on RE6, the series has gone much lower.
Gun Survivor
Gun Survivor 2
Gaiden
Dead Aim
Umbrella Chronicles
Operation Raccoon City
and the Outbreak games are ropey too

RE6 is no where near the pits of the series.

rvy

Banned
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, a disaster of a game in every way.

No matter your feelings on RE6, the series has gone much lower.
Gun Survivor
Gun Survivor 2
Gaiden
Dead Aim
Umbrella Chronicles
Operation Raccoon City
and the Outbreak games are ropey too

RE6 is no where near the pits of the series.

Mediocre is not terrible, it's mediocre.

Is that the most recent one? I stopped playing Ratchet games since the first PS3 entry *tear*. Was this one just a shitty?

The first few PS3 entries were solid next-gen versions of the classic PS2 games. Full Frontal Assault is a tiny bit of that and then bad tower defense junk.

And yeah, Metroid: Other M. That's a thread-ender really.

Also glad to see we got the crazy Fallout 3 haters in here! They're always fun for a laugh.

256px-mgs4us_cover_smipbv6.jpg

For all the shit I give the series, and despite not being a huge, raving fan, Kojima's vision and the quirky unification of ideas and meta humour has always been extremely consistent throughout a vast majority of the series. For example, I don't really like Metal Gear Solid 2 very much. But I can at least acknowledge it's confident in the vision of gameplay, themes, and presentation it's trying to uphold. Confidence is the key, and probably the most redeeming quality of KojiPro's work.

Except for MGS4. Everything about the game stinks of muddled ideas, schizophrenic vision, and strikes me of a development cycle that fell victim to the difficulties of developing for then "next generation hardware". Like has happened to so many developers, especially in the East. It feels like a game that has no firm grounding in what it wants to be or do, because there's some excellent ideas there, but none are given even close to the room to grow to their potential. The story and themes are even more erratic and disconnected than any of the past games.

To me MGS4 just feels like an exceptionally mediocre game in all respects. Almost like it's not finished, or at some point in development, somewhere near the end, they looked back over the project and went "oh fuck, none of this is coming together", and realised they didn't have the time to overhaul much of what needed to be overhauled.

As an entire piece of work it's by far the weakest link in the mainline Metal Gear series.
This right here.

RE4, RE5, RE6. Come at me.

Mothafucka, you came at yourself with that one

Anyway, Metal Slug 4, 5...shit, basically all of them post-Metal Slug 3. I mean, they REALLY threw everything AND the kitchen sink at that one. Where do you go from there? They've basically been rehashing the same game for years now, hitting a borderline level of quality because the sprite animations are some of the greatest in video game history and Metal Slug is damn fun, but it's been downhill since 3, no doubt about it.

Raonak

Banned
I do find it amusing, that FF8, and MGS4 are my favourite games of either series but most times considered the worst by the internet. convoluted, nonsensical stories are the best stories. (see LOST).

DMC4 is in no way mediocre, it doesn't reach the lofty heights of DMC3, but is still a solid game. combat is actually the best in the series.
DMC2 most definetly is the sore thumb. the regression in... well... everything when compared to DMC1 is shocking.

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire was such a borefest. massive regression in content when compared to GSC. Emerald saved it though.

antitrop

Mothafucka, you came at yourself with that one

Anyway, Metal Slug 4, 5...shit, basically all of them post-Metal Slug 3. I mean, they REALLY threw everything AND the kitchen sink at that one. Where do you go from there? They've basically been rehashing the same game for years now, hitting a borderline level of quality because the sprite animations are some of the greatest in video game history and Metal Slug is damn fun, but it's been downhill since 3, no doubt about it.
I have fond memories of playing the original Metal Slug in smokey bowling allies as a kid.

When the Metal Slug collection came out on PSP a few years ago I played through ALL of them and I couldn't agree with your post more.

ohlawd

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire was such a borefest. massive regression in content when compared to GSC. Emerald saved it though.

Agreed, Emerald is freaking amazing. Shames me to see people lump that gem with Ruby/Sapphire. Sames goes with Platinum and Diamond/Pearl.

CorySchmitz

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Assassin's Creed III

I uh... rather enjoyed Other M. Yeah the cutscenes were horrible but the dodging mechanic was cool and it had a Metroid-ass epilogue.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Assassin's Creed III

I uh... rather enjoyed Other M. Yeah the cutscenes were horrible but the dodging mechanic was cool and it had a Metroid-ass epilogue.

"I enjoyed Other M but think Skyward Sword is mediocre" = CORY WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MEEEEEEEE

CorySchmitz

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, CORY!

I played through all of Skyward Sword. I started out loving it, but the handholding and constant notifications were so aggressively in-your-face I almost went crazy. Also, going back to those same 3 areas for 40-some hours just got old. There were lots of high points but maybe more low points. Maybe not mediocre, just annoying and disappointing :( Also, Fi.

rouken

a lot of the ones posted are either developed by another developer or a spinoff of sorts. i vote that it doesn't count.

so when we removed all of that, we can agree that these are mediocre games from their main franchises.

super mario sunshine. :D

Top Bottom