• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami on Platinum, Sequel, and possible PC port

Dascu

I think anyone would be forgiven for being cynical about the possibility of a Rising PC port, as much as I'd love to see it.

Because I can't think of a single major console game of Konami's that got released on PC, and it took a search of Steam to remind me that Homecoming got a PC port.

Lords of Shadow II is getting a PC version.

Dunno. I think it's becoming more and more obvious every day that most publishers and a lot of developers simply don't give a fuck anymore. Nintendo's choices don't seem to make any difference. If publishers won't even port their current projects, they wouldn't port their next gen games either, no matter how powerful the system is.
Well, the bill comes fast.

Not saying that the non-support of the Wii is the main reason for the death of 60% of mid-tier developers in the west, but the western philosophy is so broken towards big-budget-hollywood (with hope that they can compensate this with iOS-sales), which doesn't work for this type of market currently (maybe in the future).

Dunno. I think it's becoming more and more obvious every day that most publishers and a lot of developers simply don't give a fuck anymore. Nintendo's choices don't seem to make any difference. If publishers won't even port their current projects, they wouldn't port their next gen games either, no matter how powerful the system is.

With all the recent talk and criticism of game journalist, i'd really like to see a site tackle the issue of third party publishers and Nintendo consoles. Something is going on there that we just don't know about. I specifically mentioned their consoles because they have incredible third party support for their handhelds. But the console support is nowhere near that level.

That's why he's doing another one instead of mgs.. also combat sucks in zoe.

ZOE would be the perfect game for p* of all franchaises konami has to offer.

why another zoe game and not playing some random mech game instead if you think combat sucks in zoe? because thats the whole game :/

DrWong

With all the recent talk and criticism of game journalist, i'd really like to see a site tackle the issue of third party publishers and Nintendo consoles. Something is going on there that we just don't know about. I specifically mentioned their consoles because they have incredible third party support for their handhelds. But the console support is nowhere near that level.

Kotaku researches Wii U 3rd party support... in the store next to the journalist home...

Erethian

"Nintendo consoles aren't where our audience are" is what it boils down to. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but this is the widespread perception and it'd take a monumental and prolonged effort on Nintendo's part to change it.

Sometimes I feel like some publishers don't know what they are doing or I don't see any rational reason for things they're doing.

Can anyone explain me the Mass Effect 3 port for the Wii U? What were they expecting?

Capcom tests the market with Resident Evil 4 (million seller), they bring a rail-shooter and a Dead Rising port, which won't work obviously... ?

I feel like people in the industry are far to biased, which won't get you anywhere market-wise.

deleted

Well, at least they are thinking on a PC version.

It sounds like they would want that to be done in House at Platinum? Have they released any of their games on PC? I can see another Dark Souls situation incoming ;)

Erethian

It sounds like they would want that to be done in House at Platinum? Have they released any of their games on PC? I can see another Dark Souls situation incoming ;)

No, but Platinum has a similar development process to Capcom's development of MT Framework games. Where they develop the game on PC first and then transition over to consoles, because it makes multiplatform development easier.

ArjanN

Not very likely considering how vocal Platinum have been about the bad PS3 port of Bayonetta.

Of course they might not have any say about Konami letting some 3rd party doing a half-assed port.

wsippel

Banned
Sometimes I feel like some publishers don't know what they are doing or I don't see any rational reason for things they're doing.
I'm actually more surprised by the lack of enthusiasm and commitment from the indie scene. The eShops do pretty great for the few devs who are on board, some even went on record calling it a "gold mine", others said it was a significantly more healthy environment than smartphones, but that obviously didn't motivate anyone to jump on board. Reading the reactions on the official Unity board after the free Wii U version was announced was quite telling - and disappointing - in that regard.

deleted

No, but Platinum has a similar development process to Capcom's development of MT Framework games. Where they develop the game on PC first and then transition over to consoles, because it makes multiplatform development easier.

The there should be very little in the way with a PC port. Hopefully Konami does the right thing here.

Varth

I wish Konami gave Castlevania to Platinum.

contra would be a best match IMHO. Castlevania needs someone who can maximise his adventure side. Of course, if they want to continue with Mercury Steam's take on the game, they might as well give it to platinum (said by someone who actually liked CLOS, mind you).

I'm actually more surprised by the lack of enthusiasm and commitment from the indie scene. The eShops do pretty great for the few devs who are on board, some even went on record calling it a "gold mine", others said it was a significantly more healthy environment than smartphones, but that obviously didn't motivate anyone to jump on board. Reading the reactions on the official Unity board after the free Wii U version was announced was quite telling - and disappointing - in that regard.
I believe to some point it's because people in this industry are far more driven by biased thinking than anywhere else.

Started out as kids playing their favorite video game systems and games, now being old enough to be part of one of the biggest parts of the entertainment industry.

Internet does the rest with it's overractions and hating to everything, not to mention the misinformation.

And game journ... lol

Not a new trend but more noticeable these days that they don't give a fuck about Nintendo consoles. This is from someone who purchased Mass Effect 3: Special Edition (sucker version) and waiting on Need For Speed Most Wanted (later than ever version)

I'm starting to think I like the I don't give a fuck attitude better than the give the suckers a bone mentality EA has.

Wii U is far from dead without all of this if Nintendo can still pull some exclusives from other smaller sources.

Not a new trend but more noticeable these days that they don't give a fuck about Nintendo consoles. This is from someone who purchased Mass Effect 3: Special Edition (sucker version) and waiting on Need For Speed Most Wanted (later than ever version)

I'm starting to think I like the I don't give a fuck attitude better than the give the suckers a bone mentality EA has.

Wii U is far from dead without all of this if Nintendo can still pull some exclusives from other smaller sources.
Otherwise, market regulates itself, Ubisoft will get a Million seller, ME will bomb, but EA obviously won't learn anything.

Otherwise, market regulates itself, Ubisoft will get a Million seller, ME will bomb, but EA obviously won't learn anything.
do you know how hard NFS would own on Wii U with Miiverse integration? The sole real driving game at launch? They passed that up... doubt there is any learning left for them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
PGVania would be cool.

MAybe they'll work on it after they're done working on their Gantz game.

I believe to some point it's because people in this industry are far more driven by biased thinking than anywhere else.

Started out as kids playing their favorite video game systems and games, now being old enough to be part of one of the biggest parts of the entertainment industry.

Internet does the rest with it's overractions and hating to everything, not to mention the misinformation.

And game journ... lol

This has nothing to do with "bias" or being a "gold mine". Indies found their niches 2-3 years ago and have flourished with iOS, Steam, PSN, XBL, humble bundles and other DD PC stores. Nintendo is just late to the party and I'm not talking about fashionable lateness either. They can have the most friendly store in the world, but why should indies move when they've built userbases, experience and business relationships with companies that have done good by them for half a generation? People are acting like Nintendo has been in lock-step with Sony and MS for the last seven years. They have not. They JUST caught up to the starting line when Microsoft, Valve and Sony are about to cross the finish line. I'm sure there is lots of money to be made on the eshop for dedicated studios/indies with money to spare for development, but everyone else? They've got their places for the most part and probably don't see the point in taking financial risks that even giants like EA don't want to take.

Erethian

This has nothing to do with "bias" or being a "gold mine". Indies found their niches 2-3 years ago and have flourished with iOS, Steam, PSN, XBL, humble bundles and other DD PC stores. Nintendo is just late to the party and I'm not talking about fashionable lateness either. They can have the most friendly store in the world, but why should indies move when they've built userbases, experience and business relationships with companies that have done good by them for half a generation? People are acting like Nintendo has been in lock-step with Sony and MS for the last seven years. They have not. They JUST caught up to the starting line when Microsoft, Valve and Sony are about to cross the finish line. I'm sure there is lots of money to be made on the eshop for dedicated studios/indies with money to spare for development, but everyone else? They've got their places for the most part and probably don't see the point in taking financial risks that even giants like EA don't want to take.

Microsoft and Sony aren't doing too well amongst indies these days either. All the consoles are progressively losing out to Steam and iOS.

I didn't talk about indies for my part, I talked about dumb decisions like Mass Effect 3, Dead Rising Wii, or countless other examples, where companies could've acted much smarter.

If you don't even try to create a good basis on a Nintendo system, you shouldn't complain about the sales numbers. Ubisoft obviously hasn't that big problems, but they bring exclusive games alongside their mainstream/mid-tier-games.

Of course, Nintendo systems aren't the holy grail for 3rd parties, but throwing continuously shit at the market and "testing" the system won't change it either. And you can earn a good amount of additional money (see Ubisoft or Activision) and I don't think anyone is reluctand to earn additional millions.

This is why I think some of the publishers should get smarter people or get off of their ridiculous market strategies regarding that part.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sadly, even their handhelds aren't getting much support in the west these days.
Nintendo is kind of being painted into a corner by the rest of the industry and it looks like they aren't growing fast enough to sustain themselves on their own. They will get there eventually but I fear it'll get worse before it gets better...

You have a point but it is still a bias that you are stating here, that the industry standard barers are XBLA/PSN and "eShop who?" is pretty much a bias. If you are indie I am sure you want your project on those known hyped platforms as you said Nintendo came very late into this. Wii did not have an eShop, Wiiware was not a good marketing plan and a half-assed effort. So if you are an indie you are asking "What the hell is an eShop?"

As far as profits, Steam and iOS yes but you should not be so hasty giving XBLA/PSN so much credit for indie gold from the much hyped and loved titles we always hear about can be named from the recent VGAs while hundreds of unknowns go without selling... I think indies may find it cool to be on those platforms and this is out of a bias that those are the big guns of the industry but profitable is a different matter when you are on a big hype machine market visibility for smaller projects becomes a struggle. So I can see why jumping on a new kid on the scene would be worth exploring.

if you read some of Joel's posts in this thread he has his experiences with Trine 2 on these platforms http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504498&page=2

wsippel

Banned
Steam, yes. PSN, XBLA and iOS, however? Not really. But this isn't the thread to discuss this in detail.

Floex

Mercury Systems did a fantastic job with Castlevania considering it was their first time with the franchise so no Platinum don't need to be near the franchise. Not atleast until they understand how to make a cohesive story because there storytelling is garbage of the highest order

Gameplay, they are masters of action

My only worry for Uprising is awfully cheesy cutscenes, yes even more so than metal gear. I was cringing throughout Bayonetta

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I would be delighted to see more japanese developed games on the PC platform come the coming years.

Microsoft and Sony aren't doing too well amongst indies these days either. All the consoles are progressively losing out to Steam and iOS.
Indeed

All those DD outlets still existed at the same time as Nintendo's DD store on the Wii and this is where most console people are going to look for comparisons(even though the 3DS shop has really improved compared to Nintendo's old stores). I'm sure the Wii U's storefront and policies might shine through over time if Nintendo keeps trying to be competitive. No fees for patching and extremely fast steam-like updates is VERY VERY promising news compared to the quicksand that is the XBL patch certification process(God... I hate certifications).
I didn't talk about indies for my part, I talked about dumb decisions like Mass Effect 3, Dead Rising Wii, or countless other examples, where companies could've acted much smarter.

If you don't even try to create a good basis on a Nintendo system, you shouldn't complain about the sales numbers. Ubisoft obviously hasn't that big problems, but they bring exclusive games alongside their mainstream/mid-tier-games.

Of course, Nintendo systems aren't the holy grail for 3rd parties, but throwing continuously shit at the market and "testing" the system won't change it either. And you can earn a good amount of additional money (see Ubisoft or Activision) and I don't think anyone is reluctand to earn additional millions.

This is why I think some of the publishers should get smarter people or get off of their ridiculous market strategies regarding that part.
I can get that. I was a pretty big Wii supporter myself and I raged hard at DSE becoming a rail shooter, Umbrella Chronicles, DS Chronicles, that non fighter Soulcalibur game and the other cash-ins. It is definitely a different case from the indie scene. Publishers didn't need to worry about size limites, lack of hard drives or storefront marketing. They just needed to make a nice game on a modest budget like they did on the PS2/GC/Xbox and profits could come, but they just kept flailing like fish out of water while the industry ate it's flesh to survive and adapt to HD development.
You have a point but it is still a bias that you are stating here, that the industry standard barers are XBLA/PSN and "eShop who?" is pretty much a bias. If you are indie I am sure you want your project on those known hyped platforms as you said Nintendo came very late into this. Wii did not have an eShop, Wiiware was not a good marketing plan and a half-assed effort. So if you are an indie you are asking "What the hell is an eShop?"

As far as profits, Steam and iOS yes but you should not be so hasty giving XBLA/PSN so much credit for indie gold from the much hyped and loved titles we always hear about can be named from the recent VGAs while hundreds of unknowns go without selling... I think indies may find it cool to be on those platforms and this is out of a bias that those are the big guns of the industry but profitable is a different matter when you are on a big hype machine market visibility for smaller projects becomes a struggle. So I can see why jumping on a new kid on the scene would be worth exploring.

if you read some of Joel's posts in this thread he has his experiences with Trine 2 on these platforms http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504498&page=2
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying on top. I don't know whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. Nintendo was a non-factor for indies and small studios that couldn't afford to enter retail for 3-4 years now since their online store was barebones as it could get. PSN and XBLA were more or less the standard until Steam exploded a couple of years afterwards and there is no doubt in my mind that Valve is the current king despite all the hoopla over iOS. Consoles in general have a lot of work to do if they want to be the proper home for indies and small devs.

Also, I'm totally aware of how messy it can be for indies and small devs on PSN and XBLA right now. My favorite game(Skullgirls) has practically been massacred by patch fees, stupid behind the door stipulations and silly DLC policies that are stopping Lab Zero Games from making money they need to fund a PC version of the game. Shit sucks bad, but it wasn't always this way and it isn't always that bad an experience for everyone. Until recently this was the only choice for third parties that wanted to make a 40mb+ game on consoles with hard drives and a decent storefront for marketing. Nintendo has to prove to the industry that they are capable after being a non factor for an entire generation. That slate doesn't get wiped so easily when you have their kind of record.
Steam, yes. PSN, XBLA and iOS, however? Not really. But this isn't the thread to discuss this in detail.
Yeah, this is more of a konami thread. The discussion just veered way out into some other place. I'm definitely leaving this discussion right there. More platinum and Konami PC development plz.

You know, I really wish KojiPro would just come out and say that they don't think a Wii U version of MGR would sell enough to justify porting costs, or at least give a "no plans at this time." I'm starting to wonder if they actually believe the nonsensical controller excuse.

Top Bottom