• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games - "2013 biggest year since we released Killzone way back in 2004"

lupinko

8286337280_5c1706aee9_z.jpg

Boobzone?

KAL2006

Banned
New Guerilla IP
New MediaMolecule IP
Uncharted 4
MotorStorm PS4 or new Racing IP
New Sucker Punch IP
Planetside 2
Gran Turismo PS4
New Santa Monica IP

I think the first 2 years will have all those released on PS4 with at least 2 of those for launch.

i-Lo

I wonder whether a new IP can be considered a killer app for a system given it has no prior brand recognition.

8286337280_5c1706aee9_z.jpg

Boobzone?

I was going to say that picture reminds me of Donald Duck (the eyes, the shape of beak from head on)...

250px-Donald_Duck_-_The_Spirit_of_'43_(cropped_version).jpg

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Instead it will look really pretty, play decently, and never use any of the rich background that the Killzone franchise has established in its lore. And it will not make a big impact on anything. :\

I'd like to believe that Guerilla will take advantage of their expansive backstory and universe. The game could be set during the first interstellar war between the Helghast before the were exiled to Helghan. This would be before they were the savage mutates that are bent on ISA cleansing also it'd paint them in a more identifiable light

Globox_82

Banned
New Guerilla IP
New MediaMolecule IP
Uncharted 4
New Sucker Punch IP
Planetside 2
Gran Turismo PS4
New Santa Monica IP

I think the first 2 years will have all those released on PS4 with at least 2 of those for launch.

Ready at Dawn as well.

Sad part only one or two out of those new IPs (plus those we don't have a clue about) will see a sequel. Just like PS3, a lot of new IPs early on, some deserved sequel imo.

I've always felt the biggest mistake with Killzone was putting us in the perspective of uninteresting ISA characters. The most iconic aspect of Killzone are the Helghast. We should have taken charge of some badass uber ninja Helghast soldier.

You know what gamers like? Anti-heroes. You know what always go over well with audiences? Redemption stories. Mix the two and there's your new protagonist for the new trilogy. A rightfully jaded Helghast elite soldier who begins to question the war and the reason for fighting on both sides. Being a ninja elite, he can have a few more abilities than just shooting and stabbing. Imagine those ninjas from KZ3, but upgraded.

There's bound to be more Killzone on PS3. Seriously, GG. Read this and take note. Change it up and leave Sev, Rico and the like in the past.

PS4 is like a fresh, new chance to blow minds and get a larger audience on board for your series. If you do it right, and you're there for launch, it could basically be a re-birth for the series. Do not continue with such boring protagonists. You need someone memorable at the helm. You already have a memorable design. Just jack the age old tale of a fighter changing sides or learning to fight for something different. Use the lore of the series. Make it interesting. There's potential there to make it quite big.

Just bring back Hakha.

I'm not sure where people are getting new IP from.
It's gotta be KZ4 and the PS4 needs to launch with it. It will be the killer app for the PS4 or that's what Sony is hoping people will say.

The new IP has been worked on since early to mid 2010. Its almost assuredly an early PS4 title.

They have 17 job openings for their Amsterdam studio. From what I recall, they have two teams in the same building at Amsterdam and then Guerilla Cambridge in the UK.

So it'll be:

Guerilla Cambridge: Killzone: Mercenary (PSvita)
Guerilla Games: Killzone 4
Guerilla Games: New IP

As for the new IP, a lot of genres have been bandied around. I've heard they were interested in a fantasy setting.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone with a vita/ps3/likely will eventually get a ps4 I hope it's not KZ related. A boring me too shooter with poor controls and hideous art is a waste of a dev with such graphical talent.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wasn't there a 2nd Guerrilla Studio (not Guerrilla Cambridge) they opened in Amsterdam back in 2010?

do we know what that studio/team is working on?

As someone with a vita/ps3/likely will eventually get a ps4 I hope it's not KZ related. A boring me too shooter with poor controls and hideous art is a waste of a dev with such graphical talent.

what?

damn, this trhead is getting me pumped. Might have to do a KZ2 run

mblitek

New Guerilla IP
New MediaMolecule IP
Uncharted 4
New Sucker Punch IP
Planetside 2
Gran Turismo PS4
New Santa Monica IP

Tasty lineup! Looking forward to that :)

RibMan

Very much looking forward to their next game, especially if it's on new hardware. I hope it's a new IP, something fantasy-related would be super exciting.

Globox_82

Banned
Guerrilla Games is known for the Killzone franchise, and that isn't changing any time soon. During an art process panel at GDC 2012, Guerrilla's Studio Art Director Jan-Bart van Beek said that the team -- which now includes the Sony Cambridge Studios working on Killzone Vita -- is simultaneously working on three different projects. There's the aforementioned Vita game, a new non-Killzone title, and continuing the franchise on the PlayStation 3.

Jan-Bart van Beek didn't say if the PS3 stuff was supporting Killzone 3 with downloadable content or a new entry in the franchise, but he did talk about how the team decided on its new IP. Basically, interested team members pitched the next game they'd want to make -- 32 entries to start with -- and the group narrowed it down to four.

Now, Jan-Bart van Beek didn't say if these were the final four types of games, but he did list zombies, werewolves, steampunk and Ghost in the Shell as pitches. Apparently the steampunk one didn't win out, but it did get iterated on. Eventually the team morphed the idea from being a Steampunk Sherlock Holmes taking on monsters like Frankenstein to a retro-futuristic '70s-punk title called Dark Science. Players would be Jake Crowbar, a Dirty Harry type, who takes on all sorts of monsters.

Again, Dark Science didn't pan out and Jan-Bart van Beek openly stated it won't be Guerrilla's next game
, but it was interesting to see the pitch's path.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465869

old but maybe forgoten. Sounded interesting

Gorillaz

Cant wait to see the new IP (which is rumored to be like a fps and final fantasy mix?) and KZ4. Especially since they hired alot of kz2 devs again.

meta4

So excited!! Whether its a new IP or KZ4 I am in. Best gunplay for an FPS this gen by quite a distance in KZ. Hope they continue the trend. If they are making KZ4 it better be like 2 and not cater to the COD crowd.

Globox_82

Banned
I think they got their wires crossed. That sounds like the PS3/Vita game 'Ruin', later 'Warriors Lair' that has been in development hell firstly at Idol Minds and then at Sony's San Diego studio.

Ah you edited. Heh.

Srry for the stealth edit while you were replying. Yes it sounded like Ruin so I removed that rumor, it was silly. Sorry again!

Instead it will look really pretty, play decently, and never use any of the rich background that the Killzone franchise has established in its lore. And it will not make a big impact on anything. :\

Yeah, the Killzone universe is very underrepresented, even though if written correctly the universe would be really great.

abadguy

Banned
Is this a joke. Killzone 2/3 has some of the best gunplay for an FPS.

Decent gunplay, mediocre single player, with annoying characters( like Rico constantly talking big shit then running out blindly into gunfire and getting cut down. Forcing you to constantly shock his dumb ass back to life again..) fighting the Kerberos..erm i mean Helghast.( sorry i always get them mixed up for some odd reason)

It was a competently made game, but they forgot the part where it's supposed to be fun to play. The only real reason KZ2 gets attention is because of it's graphics. If not for that it would have been seen as the run of the mill shooter it is.

meta4

Decent gunplay, mediocre single player, with annoying characters( like Rico constantly talking big shit then running out blindly into gunfire and getting cut down. Forcing you to constantly shock his dumb ass back to life again..) fighting the Kerberos..erm i mean Helghast.( sorry i always get them mixed up for some odd reason)

It was a competently made game, but they forgot the part where it's supposed to be fun to play. The only real reason KZ2 gets attention is because of it's graphics. If not for that it would have been seen as the run of the mill shooter it is.

Decent gunplay? It hass the best hit reaction in an FPS this gen.Playing COD or Halo feels like firing pea shooters after playing KZ. Every kill, every bullet fired feels insanely satisfying. Top it of with one of the most interesting antagonists coupled with gritty,grimy atmosphere makes KZ2 one of the best FPS this gen. You really think KZ2 received universal acclaim just because of its graphics? There is no FPS this gen which plays like KZ2. Totally disagree.

If it is a new KZ, please, please, please control like the perfection known as KZ2.

This please! Hopefully someone from GG is listening.

KAL2006

Banned
Oh shit I forgot Guerilla Games has 2 teams now. So we can get Killzone 4 and a new IP. I think we will get new IP first as Killzone 4 will take the hype away from Killzone Mercenery.

I love how Sony has expanded their teams
Sucker Punch
I've heard they have grown not sure if they have 2 teams
MediaMolecule
Team 1 - Making Tearaway
Team 2 - Making PS4 game?
Guerilla Games:
Team 1 - Made Killzone 3, likely making 4
Team 2 - making new IP set in fantasy setting
Naughty Dogg
Team 1 - Made Uncharted 3, likely making 4
Team 2 - Making Last of Us