• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many threads do we have to make before Sony finally takes note and re-releases Killzone games for PS5?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The guy who made God Of War & Twisted Metal still do random pop-ups here lol
I didn’t know that. Would be cool to see them around. But more to my original point, I’m referring to someone who is actually going to move the needle on Sony releasing any kind of Killzone again, whether it be a re-release, remaster, or new entry. There aren’t enough accounts on Gaf to push that conversation forward…as much as I wish there was.

Last edited:

Beechos

Not got happen. They haven't even re-released the orig gow trilogy with the success of the new gow and you want to do killzone? I guess at least they did make gow streamable on ps premium so maybe there is a chance.

Kdad

Dear Sony, I'll preorder, full price a digital AND BD copy of the KZ series and a PS5 Pro to boot. Additionally I'll even buy a gd Portal.

I've done my part, now do yours.

Also...stop being bitches and bring back PS Home.

Not got happen. They haven't even re-released the orig gow trilogy with the success of the new gow and you want to do killzone? I guess at least they did make gow streamable on ps premium so maybe there is a chance.

Sony needs to get their act together and start releasing these older classics. It's such a shame there is no way to play GoW Ascension, MGS4, KZ 2/3, Resistance trilogy, Infamous etc at a decent fps and resolution on ps4/ps5

They have a disregard for BC and game preservation. PS Now is a horrible wsy to play them.

It's a no brainer in my eyes.
They could do a Killzone remaster with KZ2, 3 and SF.
They should also do the same with Resistance.
They are all good FPS, and there are alot of people like me who skipped the PS3 and would love to give them a shot in better graphics and performance.

I also don't understand why they don't release Sunset Overdrive as well. It's a pretty fun game, and one that Sony should have in their BC, as they own the IP and its available for Xbox players to play, but not Sony's.
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to port?

Beechos

Sony needs to get their act together and start releasing these older classics. It's such a shame there is no way to play GoW Ascension, MGS4, KZ 2/3, Resistance trilogy, Infamous etc at a decent fps and resolution on ps4/ps5

They have a disregard for BC and game preservation. PS Now is a horrible wsy to play them.
It's def a shame you can't buy or download them. I actually replayed gow og on psnow felt like I was playing it natively. They prob don't have a solution to do this otherwise it'll be downloadable.

Sony have given up on shooters it seems. All third person action adventure games for quite a while now. They should at least do proper remasters of both Killzone and the Resistance franchises on PS5.

coffinbirth

giphy.gif

Seriously, these games are not very good.

Perrott

Gold Member
We can only dream. I would love a Master Chief Collection style release for both Killzone and Resistance.
Hopefully Nixxes, who claim to be working on "remasters" in addition to PC ports, are doing just that. Their proximity to Guerrilla Games (they're Belgian and Dutch studios respectively) and experience with the Insomniac engine following the launch of the Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank ports should, on paper, allow for such collaborations.

Apocryphon

The issue is the Cell architecture I think. Demanding to emulate, meaning you likely wouldn’t get native 4K60 performance out of the PS5. Outsourcing it to another studio is unlikely, and the best approach would be for Guerrilla to port to the Decima engine… which would be a massive task. So much work would likely need to be redone that remaking the game from the ground up might be simpler. I’m not even sure that there wouldn’t be considerable differences in things like lighting if they moved the content to Decima.

I would love to have a better way to play Killzone 2. Despite the aging techniques used to build the game on PS3, rendering at 4K60 with HDR support it would still rival many current gen games visually. I can only dream about what the game would I look like with higher resolution textures and ray tracing 🤪

In an ideal world we would get a full remaster of the first game, bringing it up to the same level of visual fidelity as Killzone 3, along with ports of Killzone 2, 3, and Mercenary. I don’t care for Shadow Fall…

Resistance on the other hand needs full remastering because those games are ugly as sin. I liked Resistance 2 and would gladly buy it again, even as part of a collection.

Can’t see either being ported or remastered any time soon though unfortunately.

I’d like MotorStorm Pacific Rift too. Great game.

Perrott

Gold Member
Multi has evolved... And the newly acquired Bungie got 20 Million views in like 3 months, for the "announcement" of an IP. I don't think they're looking back @ Killzone in the same way we are.

The strength of Sony's library of FPS IP from the PS3 era has always been in the singleplayer, with MP being more of a thing that just had to be there ir order "to compete with COD" - a stupid train of thought that expanded far beyond their FPS games and into Uncharted and even God of War.

The key to bringing back Killzone is to do it as a very atmospheric and immersive, story-heavy, singleplayer FPS like BioShock, with the variety and creativity of Half-Life 2 and Titanfall 2, and on a $100M budget to ensure insane production values in the with all other PS Studios releases. If possible, also try to make it a hybrid game, so that it works on PSVR2 as well.

There you have your 88-90MC FPS game, likely to sell between 10-15M copies lifetime.

Last edited:

Kurimao

Please, no, Sony.
adhJRH4.png

Without Killzone would you tell us what would be Sony's answer to Microsoft's FPS (Halo, Starfield & many others)? As much I'd like to see another Resistance but unfortunately its not their premiere fps game.
It needs to be console excluve not Destiny.

bender

What time is it?
adhJRH4.png

Without Killzone would you tell us what would be Sony's answer to Microsoft's FPS (Halo, Starfield & many others)? As much I'd like to see another Resistance but unfortunately its not their premiere fps game.
It needs to be console excluve not Destiny.

What year is it? And even if you suppose that they still need an answer to Microsoft's FPS stable (hint: they don't), why would you double down on franchises that have long been sunset?

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
I will never forget the first time I fired up KZ2 on PS3. It was the most intense gritty full on experience. The weighty controls, the blood and gore, the dark, heavy atmosphere. Without going off the deep end, it is hard to capture in words

2daaeiwnmpu.gif

untitled-1riks6.gif

Cod, Destiny while they have their moments dont leave me with that, they are lightweight.

and as for the opening with Scolar Visari's speech..

Last edited:

T0minator

Within the next year we'll see PlayStation get back into FPS MP games with
Firewalk's Concord
&
Bungie's Marathon

The potential is definitely there, I'd personally love to see Insomniac and Guerilla get back into FPS games. Both studios have improved sooo much this past generation their take on a new FPS game would be amazing in so many ways

mrmustard

Banned
I would take a patched or remastered Killzone 2 + 3. But i don't think we'll see a new Killzone anytime soon. Shadow Fall just wasn't a very good game and i remember the servers becoming emptier pretty fast.

Hudo

Multi has evolved... And the newly acquired Bungie got 20 Million views in like 3 months, for the "announcement" of an IP. I don't think they're looking back @ Killzone in the same way we are.

Please don't remind me about this piece of shit they dare to call Marathon.

Abusing the IP for a fucking extraction shooter. Fuck off, Bungie.

Xtib81

Truth be told, Kz isn't that popular. As much as I loved this franchise it wouldn't be able to make numbers as high as Gow, Tlou, tsushima etc..

hlm666

You think Sony read forums and make buisness decisions based of their threads?

BRB gotta go get my letters off to Santa.

Ar¢tos

KZ2 and KZ3 remaster (at least the MP of KZ3, the campaign was shit) would be OK, but with the massive amount of competition in the shooter space nowadays, in less than 1 month the playerbase would be reduced to nearly nothing.

It's not like they can rework remasters of old games to deliver new weekly content into them like Bungie is doing with Destiny, and even Destiny playerbase is a fraction of what it once was.

Apocryphon

Killzone and Resistance were terrible.. It's like people crying for a Days Gone sequel 🤮
Killzone 2 had tonnes of atmosphere and was a technological marvel. The controls were hideous and I hate that people defend how sluggish and weighty it feels, but Havok was put to good use and the ragdolls in particular were extremely satisfying. Really good animations and art design, and some of the best looking weapon models in any FPS. It actually reminded me a lot of Criterions Black.

Killzone 3 was even more technically impressive, and had the cool mech level, but it’s predecessor was a better overall experience.

Clunky 30fps though it was, Killzone 2’s multiplayer was seriously underrated. As somebody who can’t stand Horizon: Forbidden West, I would have gladly taken a Killzone 2 remaster in its place 😂

Drizzlehell

Banned
KZ2 and KZ3 remaster (at least the MP of KZ3, the campaign was shit) would be OK, but with the massive amount of competition in the shooter space nowadays, in less than 1 month the playerbase would be reduced to nearly nothing.

It's not like they can rework remasters of old games to deliver new weekly content into them like Bungie is doing with Destiny, and even Destiny playerbase is a fraction of what it once was.
If other remasters are anything to go by, bringing back the multiplayer in those games is rather pointless. But that shouldn't stop them from remastering the single player campaigns and releasing them in a single package, kinda like they did with Uncharted trilogy.

Frankly, I wouldn't even want to see those games repurposed into some CoD-like abomination with battle passes and shit.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The amount that makes them release a new warhawk first.

They want all these gaas games then why not bring back the best of the best

sono

Gold Member
I don't know what they did with Shadow fall it became me too sci-fi, 2 and 3 are classics

Banjo64

cumsessed
Killzone is a weak franchise with no mainstream penetration. Lacking gun play, wooden gameplay. Some of you need to move on.

0neAnd0nly

The Killzone games never sold well, were not critically well regarded, and today no one remembers them fondly except like 6 people on GAF.

Yes, it's a huge mystery why Sony doesn't care to re-release Killzone in 2023

This is incredibly false, respectfully.

Killzone 2 debuted at number one in UK sales to become the fourth fastest-selling Sony published title.”

As of 2019, Killzone 2 was the 21 highest selling game for PS3. 15 highest exclusive. Placing it above: Infamous, Modern Warfare, Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Resident Evil 5, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

As of 2023, Killzone Shadow Fall was the 23rd best selling PS4 game, placing it above: Bloodborne, Nioh1/2, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc.

Metacritic scores for KZ titles:

Killzone (ps2): 70

Killzone 2 (ps3): 91 “must play” awarded

Killzone 3 (ps3): 84

Killzone Mercernary (VITA): 78

Killzone Liberation (PSP): 77

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4): 73

Using MC color scale: 4 GREEN (good reviews), 2 YELLOW (ok reviews).

Many people have fond memories of KZ.

0neAnd0nly

Killzone is a weak franchise with no mainstream penetration. Lacking gun play, wooden gameplay. Some of you need to move on.

You’re entitled to your opinion…

But KZ2/3/SF had some of the best console gunplay of all time. Think what you want about the game itself, but gun play wasn’t the issue IMO.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You’re entitled to your opinion…

But KZ2/3/SF had some of the best console gunplay of all time. Think what you want about the game itself, but gun play wasn’t the issue IMO.
It’s my opinion. I played through every game in the franchise aside from Mercenary, so I think I’m qualified to give it. When I think of the best (Halo, Titanfall, Apex, CoD, Destiny), Killzone is so far away, it’s several leagues below.

I also don’t think your view is shared by the majority, because game play sells at the end of the day.

It seems like a no brainer to remaster the Killzone series. Resistance even more so. 60 fps would transform them. I am still surprised they haven't brought the PS3 Ratchet games over. They either don't have the resources or they have done the numbers and have deduced it's not worth it.

Urban

Ironically with the Activision deal they might consider doing a new one but until now it’s a dead franchise

Sadly I don’t think we will ever see Killzone again especially since Horizon sold many millions of copies. Sony doesn’t seem to care about their older IP’s unless they sold extremely well and are considered “mainstream” I’m assuming. If we can’t even get a Bloodborne remaster or sequel or even Days Gone which supposedly sold decent and is more Sony’s style of game, I doubt they will even consider anything pertaining to Killzone unfortunately,

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sadly I don’t think we will ever see Killzone again especially since Horizon sold many millions of copies. Sony doesn’t seem to care about their older IP’s unless they sold extremely well and are considered “mainstream” I’m assuming. If we can’t even get a Bloodborne remaster or sequel or even Days Gone which supposedly sold decent and is more Sony’s style of game, I doubt they will even consider anything pertaining to Killzone unfortunately,
Yeah, and I honestly don't even expect them to do another one. It's clear that Guerrilla ran out of ideas when Shadow Fall came out because that campaign was one of the blandest things in gaming history. All I want is to see all the classic games getting a re-release, particularly the campaigns.

And if we're talking about a possibility of a new Killzone game, then a different studio should have a stab at it, IMO. Cambridge studio did an excellent job on Mercenary because that's arguably the best one in the entire series if you ask me. Maybe second best after KZ2. Too bad that the studio has been absorbed into the general division.

Kdad

It’s my opinion. I played through every game in the franchise aside from Mercenary, so I think I’m qualified to give it. When I think of the best (Halo, Titanfall, Apex, CoD, Destiny), Killzone is so far away, it’s several leagues below.

I also don’t think your view is shared by the majority, because game play sells at the end of the day.
OP was talking about gun play not game play...they even said think what you want about the game.

Sony is clueless and arrogant.
Killzone collection 4k120, hdr. No need to remaster.
Same with resistance
The issue with Killzone 2 and 3 is finding someone to port it.

Guerrilla is too busy making shit games.

Insomniac, a bit of the same, albeit easier to happen. I'm guessing everyone just think's there's no demand.

Top Bottom