• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAM thread of Next Generation

USC-fan

Banned
I'd much rather have 4GB GDDR5 @ 192GB/s than have 8GB @ 65GB/s.

Yes because most of that 8GB is not usable for gaming on a 65GB/s bus. Only 1.08 GB is readable per frame at 60 fps.

Compare 3.2GB usable per frame of the 192 GB/s.

So it like the ps4 has 3x the ram of the x720.

I think you may have slightly misinterpreted part of question.

obviously faster is better than slower, but in the context of the possible ( probable?) Orbis/Durango situation where we potentially have:

Orbis with half of the total RAM that Durango has
Orbis' RAM with 3x the data rate of Drango's RAM
Durango with some ( 64-100?) MB of EDRAM - Doesn't the frame buffer reside or partially reside here??
Durango with a larger OS footprint, especially if multitasking.

you mentioned that Durango's OS could potentially take ~ 1 GB, leaving 7 GB free for games.

On the other hand Dennis mentioned that even with this much RAM, it would be difficult/ impossible to implement certain effects/ IQ enhancing techniques given its lower bandwidth and the target resolution of 1080P ( which in answers part of my original question)

Some people expressed concerns that Orbis would under perform in open world games...

So are the primary benefits/ differences of each the following?:
Only taking into account RAM Performance differences and assuming 1080P 30 FPS target and remembering the presence of EDRAM:

Orbis> Durango:
-higher quality effects possible in more/relatively linear games
- Better IQ
Durango> Orbis
-Better for open world games
-Higher quality textures
-( More things on screen?? more ram, but less time to render per frame?)
-Better, more comprehensive multitasking
Wouldn't slow RAM be a strain on open world games? Especially if you have things like flying

DBT85

I hope those R%D in sony listen for once to their first party developers and give them all the RAM possible. 8gb for OS and 8gb for games ought to be enough for a next gen console. Plenty for sony to add loads of services without eating into game dev ram usage

This isn't happening in this generation.

Dennis

Banned
The Durango as we know it from rumors is such a boring PC-lite setup while the PS4 is a more adventurous endeavor.

Proelite

Yes because most of that 8GB is not usable for gaming on a 65GB/s bus. Only 1.08 GB is readable per frame at 60 fps.

That is complete bullocks. :p

I honestly think the next consoles will have about between 4-6GB at the start.
and will add about 4 more later. I know I will get alot of flak for this comment but I clearly see there being a fast interface being put in thunderbolt or something that will allow more Ram to work in harmony with the main unit. So when the market is ready for VR, 4K or whatever, all they would have to do is by the box put it on the bottom of the system connected to the main unit with additional RAM and processors built in the secondary box. That way the market is not fragmented when it comes to games.

Reiko

Banned

Is this a serious post? lol

The Durango as we know it from rumors is such a boring PC-lite setup while the PS4 is a more adventurous endeavor.

what about the highly customized GPU that performs as well as a GTX 680? Mean while Sony is going with an APU solution based on AMD's mobile lineup.

Dennis

Banned
Only in regards to ram. The reverse is true for everything else.

They seem rather boringly similar otherwise. Are you thinking about the CPU?

Anyway, funny to think that RAM may be the most interesting difference between the two consoles.

what about the highly customized GPU that performs as well as a GTX 680? Mean while Sony is going with an APU solution based on AMD's mobile lineup.
What. Did I miss that?

Is there some solid info on that?

Wouldn't slow RAM be a strain on open world games? Especially if you have things like flying

In one of my earlier posts, i said that compared to many of you here, I am a layman when it comes to in depth hardware performance discussions, so that is very possible.

The main point of my posts in this thread has been to ask questions and attempt to ascertain the main drawbacks AND positives of each setup because I don't currently understand it well enough.

People really need to stop trying to apply 2005 console's scenario to 2013, it's just foolish.

I'd personally go with the larger memory capacity, especially at ~70GB/s. That plus 64MB edram (which should handle 1080p frame buffers with AA or without + used for very fast access memory.

The main reason is open world games, if you want open world games, having more memory allows for this to happen, and you are still looking at 3X+ the speed of 360's memory with XB3's rumored RAM. That should handle 1080p fairly easily.

What you can do with GDDR5 is more AF and you can push the entire frame buffer to ram without seeing a hiccup compared to using the edram from microsoft. That would allow for more AA but the games would be relatively more "tunnel" like, still should be better than this generation in that regard, but XB3 could have a fairly even performance between "tunnel" designed games and open world games, though this is of course if they are limiting their tunnel games to PS4's smaller ram footprint. You'd probably see higher resolution textures on XB3 vs PS4, but PS4 would have better IQ so it could end up essentially being a wash.

As for OS, I would expect XB3 to use up to 2GB for their OS, they might shrink it overtime, but at launch, saving that much space even if they don't use it, would allow them to add features later.

You do know that in open world games the entire world isn't stored in memory right? And GDDR5 allows for ALOT more than simply AF...which really at this point in time doesn't even register as a performance hit on hardware, let alone VRAM.

Proelite

They seem rather boringly similar otherwise. Are you thinking about the CPU?

Durango cpu 2x the core count, might be 1/2 the speed.
Durango gpu 66% of the peak flops, but has esram and more assistive silicon.

Imo more different than 360 / ps3.

ekim

it's about getting stuff off the memory to your APU.Roughly: basically you fill the 8 gigs with data and can stream 1 gig of it every frame. (in theory) Truth is: you won't need that amount of (new)data every frame. But It's good to have some headroom here. You also can stream stuff in parallel if unified ram is used. stupid example: 500 MB to your CPU, 500 MB to the GPU.

Durango cpu 2x the core count, might be 1/2 the speed.
Durango gpu 66% of the peak flops, but has esram and more assistive silicon.

Imo more different than 360 / ps3.

So is the Xbox 8 "orders of magnitude" more powerful than PS4? Is this a PS2 vs Xbox graphics difference all over again?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
4GB is sufficient while 2GB is too little.

So 4GB of very fast RAM would be my preferred option rather than 8 GB of slower RAM.

I tend to agree with this.

2GB felt 'hmmm :/'

4GB feels right.

Some related trends between generations, relating to the pathways in and out of memory, thinking about multiplat games:

Disc capacity growth: 8GB->50GB: 6x

Memory bandwidth growth: 22GB/s or 50GB/s -> 70GB/s or 200GBs = 3-4x

'Popular' PC System RAM growth, 2006->2012 (per Steam hw survey googling): 512MB -> 4GB: 8x

Capacity: 512MB -> 4GB : 8x Too small? Hmm.

Talking of next-gen Skyrims also, Morrowind -> Skyrim was done on a 8x jump in RAM. I do not see next-gen Bethesda open world games needing a bigger jump than that. In fact the target jump on the minimum end might be lower than that unless they see a good increase in the efficiency of their memory usage...or else you'll see that 4GB console game translate into monstrous PC requirements. Given how PC RAM growth seems to have slowed in recent years, I think requirements around that might be more modest. For example if next-gen Bethesda games require 8GB of RAM on PC, a 4GB console should be fine going from a historical perspective.

8GB DDR3 seems like a bit of an outlier in the above. I'm not sure the capacity/speed tradeoff was made solely with likely next-gen game requirements in mind.

Let's wait and see though. A little part of me still fears Sony will throw out something with 2GB :/

low-G

RAM was bottleneck in the 90s and also in the last two gens. It won't be much of a concern in next gen though.

Same thing with PCs: back in the 90s, adding more RAM was the first thing to do to make the PC useful (again). Nowadays RAM doesn't seem to be topic anymore when making a new build.

RAM upgrades on PC slowed due to market shifting hard to console lead platform development, that's literally all.

Next gen comes and many games (not all) will use all the available memory.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So is the Xbox 8 "orders of magnitude" more powerful than PS4? Is this a PS2 vs Xbox graphics difference all over again?

From what he's said, PS4 would be more powerful on the processor side generally speaking, with exceptions for tasks handled by dedicated silicon that aren't handled by similar on PS4.

There wouldn't be remotely one order of magnitude difference between either.

That's if what he said is true. I'm still a bit skeptical MS will go with a smaller/slower pool of shaders than Sony, whatever about what else is in there.

Proelite

From what he's said, PS4 would be more powerful on the processor side generally speaking, with exceptions for tasks handled by dedicated silicon that aren't handled by similar on PS4.

There wouldn't be remotely one order of magnitude difference between either.

That's if what he said is true. I'm still a bit skeptical MS will go with a smaller/slower pool of shaders than Sony, whatever about what else is in there.

GPU only. As far as I know Durango has the advantage in CPU since Orbis CPU is mostly like Jaguar cores too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GPU only. As far as I know Durango has the advantage in CPU since Orbis CPU is mostly like Jaguar cores too.

I was just levelling out the reference to 2x the cores at 1/2 the speed. That is assuming the same core type though, which maybe you didn't intend to suggest.

On a more general note I also thought I read somewhere that Jaguars are limited in their clock speed so I dunno if PS4 would necessarily have a clock advantage. PS4's CPU situation has been a bit murky.

B.O.O.M

WiiU also has eDRAM. All I'm saying is I expected the next ps and Xbox to have far more ram than WiiU. 8-16 GB was originally rumored for ps4 and now it's 2-4 GB.

I'm not really knowledgeable about these things but if the current rumors are true the next ps/xbox are worlds apart from the wiiu RAM wise...even with the eDRAM

Can someone clarify this please?

And this is a great thread idea

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still wonder if Sony will have some OS only ram. Bearing I mind previous rumours had them with 2GB ram. 2Gb - OS ram would be way too low, so maybe they have some way to either use different memory or mitigate it like on vita

ekim

I'm not really knowledgeable about these things but if the current rumors are true the next ps/xbox are worlds apart from the wiiu RAM wise...even with the eDRAM

Can someone clarify this please?

And this is a great thread idea

eDRAM is slower than eSRAM and access is easier on eSRAM.

WiiU seems to have 32 MB of eDRAM.

Is it rumored that 1.5GB will be dedicated to Durango's OS, so I believe it will be heavily optimized.

I personally believe that 256MB - 512MB should be dedicated to OS for Orbis. Anymore will be gimping the system.

This statement is kinda contradictory. It can't use such a huge amount of ram and be heavily optimized. The Xbox360 OS is what I'd call heavily optimized as it uses 32MB of RAM. I think the PS4 will have a similar OS to the PS3, and thus will use something around 50-64MB of RAM.

Some of you honestly think Sony of all people is going to release 2GB of ram while their competitor has 8. I feel like we be livin in twilight zones.

Jadedx

Banned
This statement is kinda contradictory. It can't use such a huge amount of ram and be heavily optimized. The Xbox360 OS is what I'd call heavily optimized as it uses 32MB of RAM. I think the PS4 will have a similar OS to the PS3, and thus will use something around 50-64MB of RAM.

I don't thing 720 will use more than 768Mb of ram, most likely 512.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

We still have no idea what will actually be happening with the OS, though. It very well could have so many things running that it needs 1.5 GB of RAM.

i-Lo

Most of the consumption/reservation would be courtesy of kinect2.0 (rumoured).

Still the question remain is how is the speed going to effect things if one twice as fast .
Along with what MS doing with there OS .
Also was there not rumor about Sony cores at 3.2 in speed or maybe that old .

As for ram i think 4GB of GDDR5 should be enough we know 1st party devs going to build there engine around it .
Now which would be the better set up for 3rd party engines .

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

No one knows the performance of any of the GPUs and 680 levels seems like wishful thinking. Also the Orbis rumors are an APU and a dedicated GPU.

Regardless if the PS4 has faster RAM than the 720, and the advantages that brings, having extra RAM to use, slow or not, with the 720 can only be a good thing for developers right? I mean it's nice that PS4's will be faster, but how is more slow RAM a bad thing?

And 4GB seems low now. We still have to worry about the OS. I think MS is smart going with 8GB of slow RAM.

Portugeezer

Excluding whatever is reserved for OS, like the Wii U if that is the case, I would say 4GB at least is needed just for games.

Performance will have to be different. Ironically right now, at face value, I think the Ps4 sounds faster somehow.

But MS went through the troubles of designing this complex piece of hardware, that they must have something up their sleeve. How will the Gpus compare? CpU? Overall Ram performance?

So many questions.

Well, according to this site, the notion of the WiiU having only 1GB available for games is wrong.

Wii U Operating System features

The Wii U OS is radically different in its architecture from other console software, doe to the way it’s constructed and how it runs.

The operating system runs on a separate, smaller CPU called “IO processor”
Because of this, the Wii U Operating System does not take up resources from the main IBM CPU, of which 100% can be dedicated to the games software.
When a game is running, the OS is off and does not require any system memory. This means that games software can utilize 100% of the RAM, unlike other consoles which usually reserve 5-10% of the RAM for the OS at all times.

I don't know if the site is reliable, we still know so little about the WiiU.

tipoo

Banned
If the next ps and Xbox only have 2-4 GB of total RAM , the main benefactor will be the WiiU.

The rumors were 4 and 8 for the PS4 and Nextbox respectively though. Plus bandwidth would be MASSIVELY different, with the Wii Us main memory at 12.8GB/s plus whatever the eDRAM can store. Plus the Wii U uses half exclusively for the OS. Even if the other two use 1GB for the OS too, that still leaves them with 3x-7x more memory as well as much faster memory.

Not really a benefactor at all. I think only doubling the previous generations RAM capacity available to games was a mistake, but we'll see how future games pan out.

Well, according to this site, the notion of the WiiU having only 1GB available for games is wrong.

I don't know if the site is reliable, we still know so little about the WiiU.

No, we know from Nintendo themselves that 1GB is OS only, 1GB is games. Games can not use the 1GB dedicated to the OS, Nintendo themselves said this, why would they be wrong and this site with questionable sources be right? What your site may be referring to was that the PS360 don't have quite so much as 512 and 256/256 because some is used by the OS, but those use far slimmer operating systems at 45-60MB.

Honestly what the site is saying is laughable, when you launch a game can you shut down Windows and keep playing it? Games need the OS. That's how computing devices work. Even if the IO chip handles the OS, that still means the OS has to be stored in RAM.

The rumors were 4 and 8 for the PS4 and Nextbox respectively though. Plus bandwidth would be MASSIVELY different, with the Wii Us main memory at 12.8GB/s plus whatever the eDRAM can store. Plus the Wii U uses half exclusively for the OS. Even if the other two use 1GB for the OS too, that still leaves them with 3x-7x more memory as well as much faster memory.

Not really a benefactor at all. I think only doubling the previous generations RAM capacity available to games was a mistake, but we'll see how future games pan out.
in fact the only definite we have right now is the wiiU will get shitted on hardware wise :/

More so than people initially thought.

Top Bottom