• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

quest

Not Banned from OT
Since we're going round and round on the customizations, here are some things Bkilian mentioned that I hadn't seen specifically posted here:

About the possibility of the Jaguar cores being custom.

In regards to the 3 customized features Durango is rumored to have.

Commenting on comparing console GPUs to PC GPUs.

Doesn't sound like the customizations are "magic" that will provide 4TF performance, but it does sound like Durango is customized in such a way the general flop vs flop comparison aren't really going to tell us anything.

Great giant tease lol. I can't wait to find out the 3 secret blocks. Interesting 1 sounds very exotic since he is trying to wrap his head around it.

Proelite

Great giant tease lol. I can't wait to find out the 3 secret blocks. Interesting 1 sounds very exotic since he is trying to wrap his head around it.

I won't read to much into it. Only devs can really say for sure how much of an impact can these custom blocks have. They might turn out to be die space hogs, or they might be massive performance multipliers.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that with the Microsoft Hardware Open House & Networking Event. It happens on the same day as the upcoming earnings conference call:

January 24, 2013 2:30 PM - PT
Microsoft Fiscal Year 2013 Second Quarter Earnings Conference Call
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/investor/Events/upcoming.aspx

And I like the sound of this:

We’ll have leading engineers from our hardware, manufacturing, and software teams on-hand to speak about what Microsoft has in store for the future.
How could you possibly discuss that topic without including Durango?

Karak

And that's all there is to it. Hyping an upcoming machine is both normal and understandable, as long as everybody realizes that we're bound to hear some hyperbolic statements once in a while.

Yup. Interesting comments. But take them in step with everything else.

Reiko

Banned
You must read him on B3D, he even tried to "un-hype" the ">2.5TF" thing.
Seeing the specs can change your perception on life itself.

raiders_of_the_lost_a08aqs.gif

Eideka

Banned
I'm willing to trust him, the 360 GPU was highly customized and it did wonderful things. I don't see why it would be different for the Durango GPU.

I'm willing to trust him, the 360 GPU was highly customized and it did wonderful things. I don't see why it would be different for the Durango GPU.

It probably won't be. The X1950 is considered by some to be rather similar to the 360 GPU and it's perfectly capable of powering modern titles like Crysis 2.

Eideka

Banned
It probably won't be. The X1950 is considered by some to be rather similar to the 360 GPU and it's perfectly capable of powering modern titles like Crysis 2.

I did not know this. But we can safely assume the Durango GPU will have some special properties of its own, that's not to say PC hardware won't run multiplats better but the console exclusives should look mind-blowing.

I will be shocked if 1st party games from MS don't look better than anything released at the time. Crysis 3 looks glorious but by next-gen standards it's rather bland...Hopefully.

I did not know this. But we can safely assume the Durango GPU will have some special properties of its own, that's not to say PC hardware won't run multiplats better but the console exclusives should look mind-blowing.

It's possible. First-party studios will obviously develop games custom-made for the hardware, so they're bound to get great performance out of them. For multiplatform titles, market realities probably mean that developers will go for ease of development over optimizing for specific platforms.

coldfoot

Banned
Still very confused on these "custom blocks" that can help the GPU. I definitely understand about sound processing and video acceleration/resizing etc. But AFAIK, GPU's already have the stuff that's really important to do fast like ROPS as fixed function and shaders as more GP. What else is involved in rendering that can be made fixed function and help out greatly for the GPU? I feel like more optimized GPU code would win at the end...

Except that they didn't. There is no such thing as the iPad 3. It was unveiled and marketed as The New iPad.
They call it the third generation too.

I don't know why we want anyone in the console business to copy apple anyway, it works for them, but a console would be better off with a clear naming.

Old rumors from IGN, debunked a thousand times. The real GPU for the Durango will be a custom 8800. Good enough for next-gen.

with a reliable source or just more sketchy rumors? considering the relationship IGN has with MS I think this might actually hold up.

Not by Apple, but it is usually online and when discussing it. People can call this Xbox 3 or Xbox 720 even if it's unveiled as "The New Xbox". The key thing is, marketing it as "The New Xbox" is a clear statement. It isn't the same blurry territory as "Wii U" is.

Yes but what is wrong with naming it?

Eideka

Banned
with a reliable source or just more sketchy rumors? considering the relationship IGN has with MS I think this might actually hold up.

No, we have insiders here that have confirmed a while ago that this was just bullshit.

And thank God it is because underpowered consoles would be a disaster for everyone.

More powerful hardware as a baseline = better games.

Simple.

All this PM here, PM there, i will post something, i will leak something, i have the specs but i can't share, i have some NDA to follow, most of this is bullshit.

I would bet that most of those people are working for Microsoft and just gauging the general interest in knowing the system specs. He have tidbits of what we believe to be info, and then it's a good round of BS.

People like SuperDAE, he's either doing this for MS or he is just a dumb ass playing with people on the internet. You don't threaten to release info you have, either you have it and post it, or you just don't know anything. Looks to me like he is doing this for MS, to see what the hardcore gamers say about the prospect of knowing more about the next gen system.

Journalists will not share any info because of two things: a) they already know; and b) they don't to risk losing any sources.

So in the end some people say they know stuff but the posts are vague and obtuse sometimes.

That been said, i thank the few GAF users who are giving us some bits, but the majority of "insiders" in the internet are just full of shit.

Reiko

Banned
All this PM here, PM there, i will post something, i will leak something, i have the specs but i can't share, i have some NDA to follow, most of this is bullshit.

I would bet that most of those people are working for Microsoft and just gauging the general interest in knowing the system specs. He have tidbits of what we believe to be info, and then it's a good round of BS.

People like SuperDAE, he's either doing this for MS or he is just a dumb ass playing with people on the internet. You don't threaten to release info you have, either you have it and post it, or you just don't know anything. Looks to me like he is doing this for MS, to see what the hardcore gamers say about the prospect of knowing more about the next gen system.

Journalists will not share any info because of two things: a) they already know; and b) they don't to risk losing any sources.

So in the end some people say they know stuff but the posts are vague and obtuse sometimes.

That been said, i thank the few GAF users who are giving us some bits, but the majority of "insiders" in the internet are just full of shit.

How did you feel when the rumored specs for the Wii U turned out to be true? Specifically the 2GB of RAM.

Top Bottom