• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(?) Xenoblade Chronicles

TheContact

It's very hard for me to play this on the Wii because of how awful it looks which sucks because of how the game itself is beautiful. I tried playing on the PC but it never worked correctly

ranmafan

I finally gave in after over two years of hearing about it and finally bought a copy online here in Japan. I always said I would wait for a used copy but the game was never cheaper used at any game store around my parts. Last week or so been reading people impressions again and I finally said i cant wait any longer to play it. So now I'm just waiting for it to be delivered this week. Can't wait to play it finally and hopefully it lives up to the hype. However I have one annoying problem. My wii has a crazy screen problem where tons of flickering gray lines and dots appear on the screen randomly. I'm probably going to have to send it in to repair it. Hopefully wont cost too much for me, I have no idea how much Nintendo of Japan charges for such fixes. Either way looking forward to playing this soon.

1stStrike

Banned
I finally gave in after over two years of hearing about it and finally bought a copy online here in Japan. I always said I would wait for a used copy but the game was never cheaper used at any game store around my parts. Last week or so been reading people impressions again and I finally said i cant wait any longer to play it. So now I'm just waiting for it to be delivered this week. Can't wait to play it finally and hopefully it lives up to the hype. However I have one annoying problem. My wii has a crazy screen problem where tons of flickering gray lines and dots appear on the screen randomly. I'm probably going to have to send it in to repair it. Hopefully wont cost too much for me, I have no idea how much Nintendo of Japan charges for such fixes. Either way looking forward to playing this soon.

Like any game, it's a matter of opinion, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience thus far. The only negative feedback I have at this point (44 hours in) is that the end-game is not nearly as gorgeous as the early areas, but that's mostly due to the completely different kind of environment you're in. It's impressive in its own way, but I just don't find it (or the enemies) as exciting.

It's very hard for me to play this on the Wii because of how awful it looks which sucks because of how the game itself is beautiful. I tried playing on the PC but it never worked correctly

Try the below and see if it works for you. The main thing is that if your PC isn't a beast you're not going to be able to run the game well regardless, so don't be trying this on some dual core laptop or something :p

Yes I would very much appreciate that. Thank you.

Sure thing.

This is what you'll need:

1x Xenoblade PAL / NTSC ISO. There's methods documented on how to rip this from the disk out there, so not going to reiterate here.

HLE Audio patched Dolphin client - You can use the pre-compiled version linked to in this post, or you can get the patch and patch the client yourself.

NOTE: Try regular Dolphin 3.5 with LLE audio first if you have an i7 or greater (especially if overclocked) as chances are you can probably run LLE and not have to worry about the HLE patch.

30 FPS Patch (PAL VERSION ONLY) - Try out the game first and see if you can run it at a stable 25 FPS. If you can, then use this (backup your ISO first just in case) to get it to run at 30 FPS.

Motionjoy - Use this if you plan on hooking up a PS3 or 360 controller and using that with the emulator. I have issues with using the PS3 profile with my PS3 controller (go figure) so I set motionjoy for 360 controller emulation and that works fine.

Here's all of the important settings:

2013-01-18_1208ngou4.png

2013-01-18_12098hqb3.png

2013-01-18_1210y7p60.png

2013-01-18_1210_001h9qyl.png

2013-01-18_1210_002fqqsi.png

2013-01-18_1213j9rsf.png

2013-01-18_12123tow1.png

2013-01-18_1212_001lpo24.png

NOTE: Depending on your graphics card you may have issues with using Texture instead of RAM under EFB Copies. I recommend trying it out with Texture first if you have a good graphics card. Otherwise, you can use RAM. Texture does cause the save screen screenshot to be all garbled, but otherwise I have not noticed any other issues, and it runs faster than RAM for me so I've stuck to it.

NOTE2: The "game-specific" settings can be gotten to by right clicking on the game in Dolphin (add it to the list so it's always there when you start Dolphin) and then clicking on Properties.

Anyway, that can be a lot to take in, so let me know if you have any questions - and good luck!

1stStrike

Banned
Thank you. This is amazing. I'll try it out soon and let you know how everything turned out.

Great, looking forward to it. Also, since you have a faster processor than I do you can probably safely up some of the graphics settings (maybe even enable AA) without any performance loss. Once you get it running stable, give it a whirl. A good test is to run it through the opening two cut scenes and see how the performance is during those and tweak accordingly.

I probably watched the opening cutscenes about 15 times before I got the settings the way I wanted them, but after that it was smooth sailing. You should hopefully not need to do that since I've already done most of the work :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Like any game, it's a matter of opinion, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience thus far. The only negative feedback I have at this point (44 hours in) is that the end-game is not nearly as gorgeous as the early areas, but that's mostly due to the completely different kind of environment you're in. It's impressive in its own way, but I just don't find it (or the enemies) as exciting.

Try the below and see if it works for you. The main thing is that if your PC isn't a beast you're not going to be able to run the game well regardless, so don't be trying this on some dual core laptop or something :p

Sure thing.

This is what you'll need:

1x Xenoblade PAL / NTSC ISO. There's methods documented on how to rip this from the disk out there, so not going to reiterate here.

HLE Audio patched Dolphin client - You can use the pre-compiled version linked to in this post, or you can get the patch and patch the client yourself.

NOTE: Try regular Dolphin 3.5 with LLE audio first if you have an i7 or greater (especially if overclocked) as chances are you can probably run LLE and not have to worry about the HLE patch.

30 FPS Patch (PAL VERSION ONLY) - Try out the game first and see if you can run it at a stable 25 FPS. If you can, then use this (backup your ISO first just in case) to get it to run at 30 FPS.

Motionjoy - Use this if you plan on hooking up a PS3 or 360 controller and using that with the emulator. I have issues with using the PS3 profile with my PS3 controller (go figure) so I set motionjoy for 360 controller emulation and that works fine.

Here's all of the important settings:

NOTE: Depending on your graphics card you may have issues with using Texture instead of RAM under EFB Copies. I recommend trying it out with Texture first if you have a good graphics card. Otherwise, you can use RAM. Texture does cause the save screen screenshot to be all garbled, but otherwise I have not noticed any other issues, and it runs faster than RAM for me so I've stuck to it.

NOTE2: The "game-specific" settings can be gotten to by right clicking on the game in Dolphin (add it to the list so it's always there when you start Dolphin) and then clicking on Properties.

Anyway, that can be a lot to take in, so let me know if you have any questions - and good luck!
Oh wtf I spent all day fiddling around to get it to 90% perfect......

The music is fantastic, and I fixed most of the stuttering but not all. A lot of the so called fixes I've read about didn't work for me.

Still...after dropping 6 hours into it today and yesterday, I have to say RPG of the...generation?

I'm hard pressed to name another jrpg or even RPG that is so beautifully put together with one of the best soundtracks in a long time.

THIS is what final fantasy should have been and there are similarities to 12. This, however, is more fun to play and I like not having to fiddle around with customizing actions to get members to do shit.

Reminds me of the glory days of Baiten Kaitos.

Positives
- gorgeous in dolphin. Lands are stunning and the col ours are bright and vibrant. The environments show a great sense of scale and will leave you in awe.
- mix of ff12 and Grandia battles and I like the banter before, during, and after. It's very seemless and gives the characters a lot of character.
- heavenly music. Eclectic mix of sounds that just seems to work. I already have a few tunes stuck in my head.
- voice acting is extremely well done and now I finally get that stupid reyn time reference. The accents really help with the immersion for some reason and I'm glad they stayed.
- lots of skills to upgrade, passives to upgrade, gems to upgrade and relationships to upgrade.
- equipment is reflected on characters
- great flow in gameplay without a lot of loading and battles are super quick in transition.

Negatives
- the story is a bit clichéd at the point I'm in now and I don't really like the MC. The VA isn't at fault, he did a great job with what he had to work with. Plucky young lad out to dave the world blah blah blah.
- controls and camera aren't where I'd like them to be...they made some odd ass choices...
- lot of palette swapped enemies... How many fucking species of club-wielding rabbits are there?!
- the biggest beef I have with the game is the shitty, monotonous, boring, and repetitive quests. Find x number of items. Kill X number of that. Find X person. Etc etc etc

I picked up a Wii U after launch and after I burned through the launch title I cared about I started up gamefly and threw this on my list

and Im really enjoying it so far. I'm only a couple of hours in and Im digging it. I gave up on JRPGs a couple of years ago but this got me wanting to keep trying newer RPGs I may have missed

Last Story is next

also its 60 bucks to keep this copy from Gamefly and its 120 bucks on amazon so I might bite just to do it

sonto340

Played until I got to about level 85 and got to some boss that kept summoning elementals. I'm atrocious at crowd control in RPGs so I'll probably never finish it. A shame, because it definitely felt like I was getting close to the end.
Definitely the best JRPG I played this generation, hands down.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh wtf I spent all day fiddling around to get it to 90% perfect......

The music is fantastic, and I fixed most of the stuttering but not all. A lot of the so called fixes I've read about didn't work for me.

Still...after dropping 6 hours into it today and yesterday, I have to say RPG of the...generation?

I'm hard pressed to name another jrpg or even RPG that is so beautifully put together with one of the best soundtracks in a long time.

THIS is what final fantasy should have been and there are similarities to 12. This, however, is more fun to play and I like not having to fiddle around with customizing actions to get members to do shit.

Reminds me of the glory days of Baiten Kaitos.

Positives
- gorgeous in dolphin. Lands are stunning and the col ours are bright and vibrant. The environments show a great sense of scale and will leave you in awe.
- mix of ff12 and Grandia battles and I like the banter before, during, and after. It's very seemless and gives the characters a lot of character.
- heavenly music. Eclectic mix of sounds that just seems to work. I already have a few tunes stuck in my head.
- voice acting is extremely well done and now I finally get that stupid reyn time reference. The accents really help with the immersion for some reason and I'm glad they stayed.
- lots of skills to upgrade, passives to upgrade, gems to upgrade and relationships to upgrade.
- equipment is reflected on characters
- great flow in gameplay without a lot of loading and battles are super quick in transition.

Negatives
- the story is a bit clichéd at the point I'm in now and I don't really like the MC. The VA isn't at fault, he did a great job with what he had to work with. Plucky young lad out to dave the world blah blah blah.
- controls and camera aren't where I'd like them to be...they made some odd ass choices...
- lot of palette swapped enemies... How many fucking species of club-wielding rabbits are there?!
- the biggest beef I have with the game is the shitty, monotonous, boring, and repetitive quests. Find x number of items. Kill X number of that. Find X person. Etc etc etc

How's your CPU usage when you're playing? If it spikes whenever you get a skip, then that's probably your answer there. I get a hiccup once in a very great while at this point with the above settings, and only in cut scenes with a lot going on (usually a dip down to 28 FPS and then right back to 30, so it's minor).

Also, it's funny that you mention Baten Kaitos as I'm playing Baten Kaitos Origin after this. I'm almost at the ending, though, so that may be this weekend.

The comparisons to FF12 are amusing too, because I played that game for 2 hours and never touched it again. Thought it was boring as shit with characters and a story that didn't captivate me at all :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How's your CPU usage when you're playing? If it spikes whenever you get a skip, then that's probably your answer there. I get a hiccup once in a very great while at this point with the above settings, and only in cut scenes with a lot going on (usually a dip down to 28 FPS and then right back to 30, so it's minor).

Also, it's funny that you mention Baten Kaitos as I'm playing Baten Kaitos Origin after this. I'm almost at the ending, though, so that may be this weekend.

The comparisons to FF12 are amusing too, because I played that game for 2 hours and never touched it again. Thought it was boring as shit with characters and a story that didn't captivate me at all :p

Could be. I'll check it today during Reyn time.

I did have a few progs running in the back but the thing is, it'll run perfect for the first bit and certain areas like the first town give the audio problems. A restart pretty much fixes things. I'm at the point now where they're so infrequent that it's bearable.

And for some ungodly reason, this runs way better than monhun. No audio graphical glitches but dat low fps....I REALLY have to crank down settings to to get it playable.

Core i5 2.8 GHz
Nvidia 660ti
8gb ddr3
Win7

1stStrike

Banned
Could be. I'll check it today during Reyn time.

I did have a few progs running in the back but the thing is, it'll run perfect for the first bit and certain areas like the first town give the audio problems. A restart pretty much fixes things. I'm at the point now where they're so infrequent that it's bearable.

And for some ungodly reason, this runs way better than monhun. No audio graphical glitches but dat low fps....I REALLY have to crank down settings to to get it playable.

Core i5 2.8 GHz
Nvidia 660ti
8gb ddr3
Win7

That i5 at 2.8 ghz is what's killing you. Can you overclock it or is it locked? The minimum recommended for this game via emulator is a quad core at 3.2 ghz, but for really smooth playback 4 ghz+ via an i7 is the best bet. I'll be going with intel myself on my next upgrade most likely.

Edit: Here's an example. I checked my OC settings and found out that they'd been reset while I was doing some stuff on my PC lately, so turns out I was actually running things at 3.2 ghz! I then pushed it up to just over 3.8 ghz stable and upped both the internal resolution in the game and turned on 4x SSAA. I now maintain a stable 30 FPS in combat, even with like 6 enemies on screen. So yeah, CPU power makes all the difference here.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That i5 at 2.8 ghz is what's killing you. Can you overclock it or is it locked? The minimum recommended for this game via emulator is a quad core at 3.2 ghz, but for really smooth playback 4 ghz+ via an i7 is the best bet. I'll be going with intel myself on my next upgrade most likely.

Edit: Here's an example. I checked my OC settings and found out that they'd been reset while I was doing some stuff on my PC lately, so turns out I was actually running things at 3.2 ghz! I then pushed it up to just over 3.8 ghz stable and upped both the internal resolution in the game and turned on 4x SSAA. I now maintain a stable 30 FPS in combat, even with like 6 enemies on screen. So yeah, CPU power makes all the difference here.
Unlocked. I've never OCed it though as none of my games benefit from it. May fiddle with it later

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, just beat the game and... here comes the impressions.

Overall, pretty amazing game. Production values were high, music was fantastic all the way through, and I really grew attached to (most of) the characters.

However, some people mentioned in this thread that it could've used some additional editing and I agree with that. I got to what I thought was the ending about 3 or 4 times and it just kept going on and on with more and more plot thrown in. I honestly was a bit tiresome of having more areas thrown at me with shit like "collect 4 of these, find the item to unlock this" and so on.

In fact, I was only level 70 when I was
in the heart of the Bionis
and in order to get through that I would've had to grind for at least an hour or two, if not longer. I honestly just didn't have it in me at that point, so I just tossed in some insta-level 99 cheat codes and powered through the rest of the battles. I was still interested in the story all the way through, just tired of fighting stuff. So, in that respect, it could have been probably about 10 hours shorter and not lost anything.

That being said, it was quite a trip and I was satisfied with the way the game ended - which rarely happens in RPG's in my experience. I really enjoyed the journey and the fact that there's a NG+ at the end of it was a nice surprise, so I may play through it again someday.

Also, since I took a ton of screenshots I decided to make a video capturing some of the best/most emotional moments towards the end of the game. If you haven't played the game, this will contain major spoilers, so don't watch it - but, if you have beaten the game, I hope you enjoy it!

Click the image below to check it out:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In fact, I was only level 70 when I was
in the heart of the Bionis
and in order to get through that I would've had to grind for at least an hour or two, if not longer. I honestly just didn't have it in me at that point, so I just tossed in some insta-level 99 cheat codes and powered through the rest of the battles. I was still interested in the story all the way through, just tired of fighting stuff. So, in that respect, it could have been probably about 10 hours shorter and not lost anything.

Yeah, that's the section that really soured me on the endgame. From that point on it was just uninteresting, linear enviornments filled with annoying enemies for almost another ten hours of grinding/progressing.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, now that I've beaten the game I can actually, you know, read all the spoilers in this thread. So, here goes:

Holy shit, I actually understand what "Reyn Time" means now. I've only heard it about a bajillion times throughout the game lol. I tried having others tank, but in the end Reyn had 9999 HP and so much defense that it was just a no brainer to pick him for my tank.

You mean Zamza? He didn't want to destroy the world so much as reset it and absorb most of its biomass to continue his own life. By which I mean, his motivations were perfectly logic (if obviously evil and selfish), as opposed to "MWAHAHA I'LL DESTROY THE WORLD FOR THE SAKE OF IT!". I agree that Egil was more interesting as a character, but that's the deal; it would not be satisfying to have him as a final boss because he has good (if misguided) reasons for what he does. Offing a true villain is more satisfying as a finale.

I agree with the fact that while Egil was an interesting character, ending it there wouldn't have been enough as a lot of story bits would have been left unresolved. That being said, I was hoping that Egil would somehow survive. Of all the characters that shouldn't have died, I think he was one of them.

I assumed more or less the same myself, but the official guide (which has facts straight from Takahashi himself) states as I said, that
"while it's wasn't shown, in the world after the ending a technology to regenerate lost body parts is developed by Linada. Through this all Faces regain their original bodies."

While Shulks actions aren't mentioned, they could have played a part though. If the Faces were essentially "destined" to die as human/machine hybrids, then Shulk changing the world to let people decide their own futures may have opened the door needed for Linada to develop the technology to save them. Maybe.

That's extremely interesting. I figured it was something along those lines and was genuinely surprised to see
Fiora back in human form at the end of the game. They did mention the possibility of it, but I didn't expect them to actually convert her all the way. I figured that, at the most, she'd be half way converted or something with some traces of the Mechon left on her body. I think that, actually, would have been better personally than having her 100% back to normal.

I've been dying for a jrpg for the longest time and was extremely disappointed by Xenoblade. Sure, the world is vast and all, but I guess I'm so old school that I couldn't get over not being able to go into random houses and stealing from treasure chests, that kind of thing.

Also, it was like they didn't put any effort into keeping me from guessing the plot twists. Major spoilers ahead:

Yes, I did guess that Fiora was alive, because you never really see her die. Plus, it took the characters like twenty seconds to get over her. You can also smell Dickson's betrayal a mile away. Was I supposed to be surprised by this when he mutters to himself, "Everything is going according to kaikaku!"?!?!

Looking back, I don't mind being completely in the dark about certain characters, like how it was in Heavy Rain. Sure, even though I did feel somewhat cheated, the shock element was more satisfying than having to grind for hours upon hours then to find out what I already knew.

I saw Dickson's betrayal coming too, but I didn't have any clue what it would actually entail or that he was a disciple. Also, his transformation into a giant was pretty unexpected too - I was wondering what he had up his sleeve. I thought that battle and his actual death was well done - kinda reminded me of Solid Snake at the end of MGS4.

While that's true, I think the real twist there is that Alvis - who interacts with Dickson a lot - wasn't a bad guy. He's very much built up as someone doing *something* sneaky behind the scenes. Did you get that, too?

I had no idea what Alvis was truly up to - he seemed to be playing both sides throughout the entire game and it was hard to judge where his loyalties were. I didn't expect the twist about him being, essentially an AI, or the "gods" being scientists from a previous universe that went a bit too far. Really interesting/crazy plot twist there.

Phew. I hope we get an RPG of this caliber on next gen hardware (or native to PC) someday. I'd really love to see Monolith's story telling combined with what Square can do graphically.

I'm playing through this as well. I'm really enjoying it. It's such a great game. It really is FFXII. I need to play more of XenoBlade to judge whether it's better than FFXII since I loved FFXII. But I think it'll be when I get deeper into the game.

Although the whole suspense and frustration with Operation Rainfall was disheartening, I think it made the game better for it. I'm speaking about the excellent voice acting. I love the voice acting. It makes the game so much better and more fun to play through.

Still need to play Last Story. And can't wait for Pandora's Tower!

spekkeh

Banned
I had an unopened copy waiting for over a year now. I was holding out till the Wii U so I could play it on the gamepad as I didn't think I'd be able to hog the tv for such an extended period of time. Well turned out it's not playable on the gamepad, so I've started playing it yesterday on the Wii instead. (And holding off buying a Wii U until, probably 2014 or something, which is really really weird for the one time Nintendo fanboy that still resides in me somewhere).

Anyways, really liking it so far. Lovely music, the muddled graphics are a bit getting used to after five years of HD gaming but hold up okay, and I hate turn-based JRPGs, so am grateful that they went with a more action based approach (although so far it's pretty daunting and I prefer the Tales of.. approach). Well I'm only one and a half hour in and I'm already thinking oh boy ten times this. I have no patience anymore lol, I really wonder how far I'm going to get in this game before being distracted by something else.

The English voice acting is great, but the character writing is a bit... aimed at twelve years old? I hope I haven't outgrown JRPGs for good.

danthefan

Have been playing this recently, I'm currently in the Satorl Marsh.

I'm really enjoying the game but I find myself getting too bogged down in crappy sidequests. I don't even want to do them but having them in my quest log unfinished is driving me nuts. Especially timed ones, I hate the thought of missing out on content. I actually think the game would have been better with less sidequests, but that's just me.

spekkeh

Banned
In my timestarved days I'm making babysteps at a time. Just set out after the faced Mechon. The camera is a mess, the call to action cliched, I'm conflicted over whether it looks nice or hideous, I would have preferred them to go full action RPG instead of this convoluted system, but man am I having a lot of fun.

Dylan

I was all excited to try this on Dolphin but after reading through this thread it seems I'm out of luck.

The best I can throw at it is a Core i5 @ 2.50GHz, GT640M, so I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?

1stStrike

Banned
I had an unopened copy waiting for over a year now. I was holding out till the Wii U so I could play it on the gamepad as I didn't think I'd be able to hog the tv for such an extended period of time. Well turned out it's not playable on the gamepad, so I've started playing it yesterday on the Wii instead. (And holding off buying a Wii U until, probably 2014 or something, which is really really weird for the one time Nintendo fanboy that still resides in me somewhere).

Anyways, really liking it so far. Lovely music, the muddled graphics are a bit getting used to after five years of HD gaming but hold up okay, and I hate turn-based JRPGs, so am grateful that they went with a more action based approach (although so far it's pretty daunting and I prefer the Tales of.. approach). Well I'm only one and a half hour in and I'm already thinking oh boy ten times this. I have no patience anymore lol, I really wonder how far I'm going to get in this game before being distracted by something else.

The English voice acting is great, but the character writing is a bit... aimed at twelve years old? I hope I haven't outgrown JRPGs for good.

The writing in places can be your kind of typical "Don't ever give up!" RPG stuff, but for the most part, they did a fantastic job with the story, world and characters. It's well worth playing through, so don't give up on it.

I was all excited to try this on Dolphin but after reading through this thread it seems I'm out of luck.

The best I can throw at it is a Core i5 @ 2.50GHz, GT640M, so I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?

Yeah, sadly, that won't be enough CPU power for Dolphin.

1stStrike

Banned
So Xenoblade is now sold out on gamestops website. Any other places I can buy it for the $50 retail price and not get screwed?

Add it to your wishlist on the GS website - I believe they send out emails when it becomes available. I bought the last used copy that appeared on there.

Otherwise, use the store locator to see if any stores within driving distance have the game. Honestly, if there's a store within like 50 or so miles of where you live that has it (call first to verify) you'd be better off driving out there to get it instead of waiting weeks / months for the chance at a copy becoming available on the GS website.

Gila

My CCP always "disconnects" every 5 mins. I tried connecting the Nunchuk but the disconnection message still pops up. It seems to be only with this game, I tried searching it and some other people have had the same problem only with Xenoblade but there were no solutions how to fix it.

Anyone here know?

1stStrike

Banned
My CCP always "disconnects" every 5 mins. I tried connecting the Nunchuk but the disconnection message still pops up. It seems to be only with this game, I tried searching it and some other people have had the same problem only with Xenoblade but there were no solutions how to fix it.

Anyone here know?

You mean if you let it sit idle or does it do so when you're playing? If it's when it's idle, then that's normal. Alt +F5 in Dolphin will reconnect it. However, if what you mean is that you're actively using the controller and it keeps disconnecting then I have no clue as this never occurred for me.

Soul_Pie

What's the difficulty like in Xenoblade incidentally?

Also how long does it take to beat?

I've been thinking about getting this game for a while but I don't know if I can invest that much time into it.

Gila

You mean if you let it sit idle or does it do so when you're playing? If it's when it's idle, then that's normal. Alt +F5 in Dolphin will reconnect it. However, if what you mean is that you're actively using the controller and it keeps disconnecting then I have no clue as this never occurred for me.

It'll happen when I'm playing, I'm not using Dolphin just a regular Wii.

I'll just be playing then all of a sudden it "disconnects" and I have to remove it from the wiimote and plug it back in. I mean I don't mind doing it but it gets annoying and it'll probably ruin the hardware in the long run.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
200 hours or so for this baby.

This and Dragon Age origins are the only games where I spent that much time playing before moving to somewhere else.

Ghazi

So why haven't they released Xenoblade Chronicles as a digital download on the Wii Store/eShop? I really want to play this and not dish out nearly $100.

1stStrike

Banned

I've been thinking about getting this game for a while but I don't know if I can invest that much time into it.

The game is not that difficult. There were only a few places where I died during the game, and they were mostly in the first half. Since you can save anywhere and have ample opportunity to save before a boss battle, there's no real risk of losing progress either.

It is a long game, though. I skipped most of the side quests and hit 66 hours on completion. It's well worth the journey, though, so I recommend picking it up if you can find it.

It'll happen when I'm playing, I'm not using Dolphin just a regular Wii.

I'll just be playing then all of a sudden it "disconnects" and I have to remove it from the wiimote and plug it back in. I mean I don't mind doing it but it gets annoying and it'll probably ruin the hardware in the long run.

Sounds like an issue with your controller. Have you tried using a different one? I haven't experienced that issue before, so not sure.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

game can be completed in approx 70 hours if you ignore the sidequests, which are 480. Thankfully they mostly feature a auto-complete system so it's very possible to complete six of them in a row with zero hassle (collecting items is automatic, you just need to walk over them)

game's definitely not difficult. Just fight the enemies your level and you'll be fine

Pejo

Gold Member
So I just got to the Village full of those little things. I absolutely adore this game so far. The atmosphere and sense of adventure missing from almost every JRPG this gen is present here. The music, oh god the music. And I actually am finding myself liking the characters so much that I am giving everybody a little playtime. That's extremely rare for me. This is everything i wanted Final Fantasy 13 to be when it was first announced. Shame i waited so long to play it.

I've been playing this on my Wii U but I've been really pissing around the idea of getting a DVD drive that reads Wii discs just to play this on Dolphin though. Every time i get to an awesome scene, i can't help but think how much better it'd look in HD. How did you guys get the ISO ripped? Apparently after some research it takes a VERY specific DVD drive and I'm just not sure I want to spend the money to buy a drive just for this and 2-3 other Wii games on Dolphin.

The ending of this game is what I think as one of the most perfect endings to ever be put in a JRPG. It ties up all loose ends, it's heartwarming, and there's
that subtle little detail thrown in there that allows your imagination to fill in the blanks. Like say, the entire game was all inside Klaus's head or something.

1stStrike

Banned
So I just got to the Village full of those little things. I absolutely adore this game so far. The atmosphere and sense of adventure missing from almost every JRPG this gen is present here. The music, oh god the music. And I actually am finding myself liking the characters so much that I am giving everybody a little playtime. That's extremely rare for me. This is everything i wanted Final Fantasy 13 to be when it was first announced. Shame i waited so long to play it.

I've been playing this on my Wii U but I've been really pissing around the idea of getting a DVD drive that reads Wii discs just to play this on Dolphin though. Every time i get to an awesome scene, i can't help but think how much better it'd look in HD. How did you guys get the ISO ripped? Apparently after some research it takes a VERY specific DVD drive and I'm just not sure I want to spend the money to buy a drive just for this and 2-3 other Wii games on Dolphin.

Glad you're enjoying it. The way to go is to just rip the game into .iso format and load that up in Dolphin. It'll be faster than loading it from a DVD drive too. A bit of googling on how to backup wii games into iso's will get you what you're looking for.

The ending of this game is what I think as one of the most perfect endings to ever be put in a JRPG. It ties up all loose ends, it's heartwarming, and there's
that subtle little detail thrown in there that allows your imagination to fill in the blanks. Like say, the entire game was all inside Klaus's head or something.

One thing that really through a huge curve ball for me in the ending was that at one point
you're told that your friends were "recreated based on your memories" and to "forgive his presumptuousness". So, there's always the possibility that at the end of the game everything was wiped out and the world returned to a clean slate.

That's, of course, a huge stretch and falls into conspiracy theorist territory, but it is something that occurred to me when he said that.

Why can't I do any heart-to-hearts?

Because you've not reached a point in the game where some of them are accessible yet. There is a heart-to-heart list on the menu that keeps track of all the ones you've found though and updates as you meet the requirements.

Margalis

Banned
Few things:

1. You don't need to do side quests, they don't add much to the experience. If you find yourself getting bored doing them just don't do them. The only ones I did regularly were the notorious monster ones, just because fighting notorious monsters is fun.

2. You shouldn't need to grind. The right party setup, play and gems should get you through the whole game. The only place I needed to level up was at the last boss, where I needed to gain 1 level. And that was with minimal side questing and not equipping the skills that give you extra XP.

Matchew

So no store is really selling this for $60 anymore? Anybody know the cheapest place? I recently signed up for Gamefly again, might just rent from there and buy it.

1stStrike

Banned
So no store is really selling this for $60 anymore? Anybody know the cheapest place? I recently signed up for Gamefly again, might just rent from there and buy it.

That's your best bet. If you don't have a Gamestop nearby that has it, and Gamestop doesn't have it in stock online, you might as well rent it from Gamefly because your only other option is to buy it for inflated prices off ebay.

Dat exclusivity agreement. They better not do that shit again.

Matchew

@1stStrike Yeah I check out all the nearby Gamestops and nothing. Really sucks oh well I guess gamefly is my best route to go.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Your only other reasonably priced option is modding your Wii so you can get around the region lock, then import a PAL copy from Europe.

Why can't I do any heart-to-hearts?

Heart to Hearts have multiple requirements. First, you have to have the required characters (obviously). Then you also have to be at a certain point in the story since they often reference something that has happened.

Honestly the whole H2H system feels pretty broken to me, because many of the conversations are clearly intended to be seen at a certain point in the game, but because of the way H2Hs work it's not really "efficient" to try to do them until around the end of the game. So you end up with characters talking about things that happened 45 hours ago as if they had just happened and it ends up just being weird. If they do something like that in the new game, hopefully they manage it better.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I dunno, I haven't played that long yet, but I collected ten H2H's, and have only been able to see the first one. Every time it says 'check your list for more details'. But it's just a list of the ones that didn't work. Thanks, I guess I'll ignore them for now.
In Xenoblade 2 they should probably just make the important ones happen as you go through the world, and then when you backtrack you have the possibility of seeing optional ones.

It sucks. There wasn't a Gamestop within 100 miles of me that had it. All the ones 200+ miles are low stock.

Top Bottom