• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Monster Games NOT making Diddy Kong Racing Wii U

grain of salt <etc>

" iwata interview statment was before the severe 'critical crisis' as described by an insider i know about the situation in Japan..

following week sales of wii u hardware have collapsed to a new low and caused nintendo to rethink pricing strategy.

expect a nintendo press conference not nintendo direct stream later this month in response to media attention shifting toward sony/ms next gen consoles

holiday season to be treated as the second launch of wii u. game/console bundles used to spur sales. inc Mario U and basic wii u bundle..$199

iwata working hard to grow third party library of wii u. rockstar x retro games exclusive title to be revealed at this years e3..

retro and nintendo approached rockstar to utilise the experience they are able to leverage in an open world game"

oh dear let this rumor spread until it bites Iwata on the ass to get ideas lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Who are these people who are frothing at the mouth for a DKR sequel? I didn't even know that a sequel to that game was in demand. What would it offer that Mario Kart couldn't?
That's kinda what I'm wondering, too. I loved DKR back on the N64, but I don't see how necessary Nintendo having two kart franchises is...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Paul Gale actually does talk to people in the industry as well. Whether or not all the baloney stuff comes from him making it up, or him not understanding discretion in terms of contextualizing the information he's given, who knows

I've met Paul Gale at multiple e3 shows... he always seemed like a nice enough guy.

grain of salt <etc>

" iwata interview statment was before the severe 'critical crisis' as described by an insider i know about the situation in Japan..

following week sales of wii u hardware have collapsed to a new low and caused nintendo to rethink pricing strategy.

expect a nintendo press conference not nintendo direct stream later this month in response to media attention shifting toward sony/ms next gen consoles

holiday season to be treated as the second launch of wii u. game/console bundles used to spur sales. inc Mario U and basic wii u bundle..$199

iwata working hard to grow third party library of wii u. rockstar x retro games exclusive title to be revealed at this years e3..

retro and nintendo approached rockstar to utilise the experience they are able to leverage in an open world game"

Damn...what I would give for a Retro / Nintendo / Rockstar open-world collaboration.

Hero

Emily has been right on a lot of things. Nobody gets everything right though. It's kind of ridiculous that you guys treat her the same way you treat so called professional organizations like IGN, GI, etc as far as rumor-mongering goes. If you don't trust her, don't pay any attention to it.

That's kinda what I'm wondering, too. I loved DKR back on the N64, but I don't see how necessary Nintendo having two kart franchises is...

Exactly my point. There's no need for that. Put an adventure type mode in Mario Kart, have different vehicles available (though now, everyone will say it's a copy of Sonic and Sega All stars transformed), and slap more Donkey Kong characters in there. Done.

In fact, I hope that all these things happen in Mario Kart WiiU, but it'll be fun either way.

Diddy Kong Racing WAS a great game, though. Makes me want to fire it up...

Edit: Have you seen her Twitter since this happened? Poor girl is on full on defense mode.

STOP BEING SO MEAN GAF

grain of salt <etc>

The idea of Retro and Rockstar collaborating makes me want to vomit. I'd much rather have that Star Fox x Metroid title for all that. Unless Rockstar is simply offering technical support and is in no way reflective of the project itself.

kirby_fox

Banned
To be honest, it's not the a DKR game doesn't exist...just the rumor of Monster Games doing it is wrong and it's not what they're working on.

Though logic said the rumor was never true since Mario Kart needs to come out first...I would give more merit to a 3DS version w/ a remake being on the DS.

EhoaVash

"retro x rockstar will utilize second screen gaming and mark as a showpiece for wii u capabilities.. Iwata hopes to be a next 'bridge title for nintendo..appealing to both casual and hardcore, deeper wider theory"

"iwata and miyamoto have attended personal audiences with Rockstar team about GTA on Wii u, but China Town wars is brought up as an example of the GTA franchise 'not working' on nintendo"

<grain of salt>

AoM

Exactly my point. There's no need for that. Put an adventure type mode in Mario Kart, have different vehicles available (though now, everyone will say it's a copy of Sonic and Sega All stars transformed), and slap more Donkey Kong characters in there. Done.

In fact, I hope that all these things happen in Mario Kart WiiU, but it'll be fun either way.

Diddy Kong Racing WAS a great game, though. Makes me want to fire it up...

Well, I guess if anything, they should at least do this. If a sequel was made, it wouldn't be as great considering who wouldn't be developing it.
unless they got someone like Retro and I already know most people's feelings toward that

"retro x rockstar will utilize second screen gaming and mark as a showpiece for wii u capabilities.. Iwata hopes to be a next 'bridge title for nintendo..appealing to both casual and hardcore, deeper wider theory"

"iwata and miyamoto have attended personal audiences with Rockstar team about GTA on Wii u, but China Town wars is brought up as an example of the GTA franchise 'not working' on nintendo"

<grain of salt>

where are you getting these rumors?

grain of salt <etc>

what?

what?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Metroid 3DS was most likely a Metroid "3D classic" for the eShop never got made. Soul Calibur turned out to be Tekken. Same developer, Namco

And there it is.

Let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she actually had all this information and didn't make anything up.

She said Metroid 3DS is in development. The revised version of this was that it was a Metroid "3D Classic" for the eShop that never got made. Now, who could have given her this information? Well, it'd have to be someone inside Nintendo. If the game never got made, the ESRB wouldn't be involved. If the game never got made, it wouldn't be testing at Nintendo. It'd have to be someone in development in Japan or someone in business development in the US. At best, the information she would have received is "We're considering working on Metroid as a 3D Classic". Which means she did not possess the skills required to ask the right questions of the information, or to report it in an honest way. She would have had to exaggerate a "maybe" into a "definitely" and a "definitely" into a "going to be announced at E3", and would have had to change "considering a 3D remake" into presenting it as a new game.

Or let's say that a third party developer was pitching a 2D Metroid to Nintendo and she got information from that team. It was her responsibility for figuring out that it was a pitch, or that the agreement was signed but it was still early development. Again, she'd have had to exaggerate her certainty to present the project the way she did.

Let's say Soul Calibur 5 was intended to be Tekken. The way to make that error would be if your contact was someone at Namco who said, for example, "we're bringing one of our fighting games to the Wii U". She would have had to assume which one it was. She failed her duty to contextualize the information, and made an assumption to make her information juicier than it was.

So in the best case scenario, she failed at her journalistic duties, whether or not she sees herself as a journalist. And that's assuming she didn't make the stuff up.

Now when you look at the rest of the list, a lot of the stuff is Nostadamus/horoscope stuff--stuff that, whether or not she presented it based on factual insider knowledge, reads like a list of generally agreeable hypotheses that most people could deduce without insider knowledge. Many of those things were common sense; The Wii's time was clearly over, and deducing that Pikmin 3 would be moved to Wii U would be more sensible than deducing that it would be cancelled. Arguing that Nintendo would emphasize western publishers (noted on that list as "correct") is trivially true for E3, but actually incorrect if you look at Nintendo's overall strategy. Ubisoft has never not launched at least 3 titles for a system. etc.

Being a good journalist starts with skepticism and humility. Secure information and report it in a conservative, skeptical way after verification and vetting. You might investigate on a hunch, but you don't report on a hunch.

Emily has been right on a lot of things. Nobody gets everything right though. It's kind of ridiculous that you guys treat her the same way you treat so called professional organizations like IGN, GI, etc as far as rumor-mongering goes. If you don't trust her, don't pay any attention to it.

EN8jA8O.jpg

watershed

Banned
I used to ridicule Emily Rogers along with everyone else on gaf but I think she has gotten more credible as a source for rumors.

grain of salt <etc>

She flew too close to the sun with that last one. Also, that's pretty much how every rumormonger promulgates their nonsense: by mixing known information with plausible events and then weaving lies between everything until the bullshit builds to critical levels with the one big megaton at the end.

EhoaVash

to summarize, iwata is in the hot seat

"iwata has intended he wishes to continue and there is a current 'power struggle' insiders say within NCL. Runours are Yamuachi is unhappy about the direction of nintendo''

"Miyamoto is continually decreasing role at nintendo.."says" pikmin3 to be his last game on a nintendo home console." ( <---he always says things like this )

"the missing dominant presence of miyamoto has left a 'creative vacuum of ideas' missing in nintendo, which existing developers are finding difficult to replace"

also that retro x rockstar nintendo project could end up like Sony and Rockstar's exclusive "Agent" a vaporware

flak57

Something like that could very easily be added to Mario Kart.

As to the potential audience of people who are sitting around waiting for this game to be released, well. I guess there was a reason I wasn't aware this was in demand.

It's not in demand.

Shit port of DKR sold over a million on the DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If she wants to be treated with kid gloves while she hones her craft, which is totally understandable--the world's best journalists would probably cringe at the stuff they wrote for their high school newspapers--then she needs to lower her public profile, use more ambivalent and less declarative language, re-emphasize her position as a non-professional, be more forthright about the nature of her sources, learn that what you don't publish is as important as what you do publish, admit mistakes more candidly, stop throwing attention-getting stunts like declaring "if I get this wrong I'll stop blogging" or "I will no longer blog anymore *immediately continues blogging on Twitter*" etc.

Saying "I've always put out reasonable rumors" is not an appropriate defence. She shouldn't be putting out rumours at all. No one should be publishing rumors at all. She should be doing her research, talking to her sources, and only publishing stuff she's certain of, or she should be presenting herself in a less certain, less declarative ways.

She says, on Twitter, right now, "I was mostly right about my E3 2011 rumors"

Here's what she said at the time:
"LET’S MAKE A BET
PUBLISHED BY EMILY ROGERS ON MAY 30, 2011 IN CONSOLES
I am willing to risk everything on these predictions. If I am wrong on any of these predictions, I will never write an article again."

Does that sound like someone passing along rumors? Stuff that's reasonable but that she's not sure about?

freddy

Banned
Isn't this Emily Rogers under 25? If so, all the criticism is a bit harsh. I know I made a lot of mistakes at that age.

oh man I sure am looking forward to Retro and Rockstar's open-world Ice Climbers game where I get to dino-jack pterodactyls and club seals for their eggplants

Yea, Emily definitely seems to just be kidding around in the IRC chat.....

Edit: Lol, she said her boyfriend wrote all that stuff but now she's back. I can't really take her seriously as a journalist because of stuff like this but I do listen to what she has to say and keep an open mind.

Edit2: Not even sure that's really her anymore. Yea, someone just made an account and trolled I think. She does have an actual account on the nintendo site you go to though.

Instro

Anything she has gotten "right" was taken from GAF. She reads this site and pulls anything speculated or rumored by posters here for her blog. All of it was pulled from the WiiU speculation threads. She has no inside information, I don't understand why this myth continues to be propagated, but its the same people on here who continue to post her stuff. She has loyal fans who either work with her on notenoughshaders, or talk to her in irc channels. It's bizarre.

If she wants to help indie devs, then by all means continue to do so. But the continued claims that she has insider info is just plain garbage, and it has been proven enough times already. Asking for us to treat her kindly because she isn't always right is ridiculous when she is constantly being reposted here as a supposed legitimate source for news and rumors.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
But even big sites get stuff wrong. She got a few rumors wrong out of an entire list of rumors.

Here's an example of IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

IGN:

Well:

1) I don't "hold her to a higher standard", I think weak-ass puff pieces like that one from IGN represent a journalistic failure as well. The "six times performance" thing is lazy, because performance isn't easily compared like that, and trying to compare raw hardware performance is futile without knowledge of software running on the hardware. Comparing it to the Wii U was a terrible mistake, since they don't cite whether the comparison is coming from sources, or their own extrapolation--this is one of the worst kinds of reporting mistakes, forming your own conclusion while attributing it to a source. Clearly that particular comparison is incorrect, but it appears to be incorrect from the Wii U side, which makes me think that they were going off incorrect specifications for the Wii U. I am extremely skeptical of vague reports about next-generation hardware coming from any source, including IGN.

2) I'm not sure why you chose that particular piece. The two major factual claims in the piece are that the successor to Xbox 360 will ship Fall 2013, and that its performance profile would be similar to a 6000-series GPU, including DirectX 11. The most recent reports maintain that these things are accurate. I have no doubt that an exhaustive analysis of this stuff will find that the GPU is custom and that there's no easy way to compare it to a stock part, but the thrust remains correct.

Isn't this Emily Rogers under 25? If so, all the criticism is a bit harsh. I know I made a lot of mistakes at that age.

As did I, but the scrutiny you're held to isn't relative to your age, it's relative to your public profile, which you have control over. Mark Zuckerberg was under 25 (I think he's 27 now?), but when he acts as the public face of Facebook, it's not his age that determines people's reaction, it's the capacity in which he's acting and his actions. If he were to buy a fast car and total it, he'd be judged probably by his age. Likewise, if Emily Rogers was posting break-ups and trouble with college classes, she'd be judged by her age, but as long as she's declaring factually that she has insider information, she'll be judged based on that.

The DKR rumour wasn't even real, I thought. Just a bunch of people wishing it was coming and it just spread.

This. Well, I was personally hoping for it and thought it could kinda happen with Monster Games - which is why I never expected this to happen, because when do these kind of whises ever come true. And I'm quite surprised this ,,rumor'' actually is a thing.
Also, they could just make another 3DS game if WiiU is too much to handle. Now that I think about it, Excite Truck could be fucking amazing with 3D. (them jumps)

I remember before Excitebots was revealed, they've said that they wouldn't even give postmen or whoever a look into their office to keep their project a secret. So I'm pretty sure no one knows what the hell they are making.

to summarize, iwata is in the hot seat

"iwata has intended he wishes to continue and there is a current 'power struggle' insiders say within NCL. Runours are Yamuachi is unhappy about the direction of nintendo and stepped in against iwata"

"Miyamoto is continually decreasing role at nintendo.."says" pikmin3 to be his last game on a nintendo home console." ( <---he always says things like this )

"the missing dominant presence of miyamoto has left a 'creative vacuum of ideas' missing in nintendo, which existing developers are finding difficult to replace"

also that retro x rockstar nintendo project could end up like Sony and Rockstar's exclusive "Agent" a vaporware

so uh where are you getting this stuff??

My sister recently sold a copy of the N64 Diddy Kong Racing to Travis Fike, who, according to his website, works at Crystal Dynamics as an "environment artist". It was just the cartridge too. No box or anything.

Is that something newsworthy? Is there something there!? Maybe he needed it for research purposes.

Is Crystal Dynamics working on the next Diddy Kong racing game?

Obviously. Someone should tell Kotaku.

Hero

If she wants to be treated with kid gloves while she hones her craft, which is totally understandable--the world's best journalists would probably cringe at the stuff they wrote for their high school newspapers--then she needs to lower her public profile, use more ambivalent and less declarative language, re-emphasize her position as a non-professional, be more forthright about the nature of her sources, learn that what you don't publish is as important as what you do publish, admit mistakes more candidly, stop throwing attention-getting stunts like declaring "if I get this wrong I'll stop blogging" or "I will no longer blog anymore *immediately continues blogging on Twitter*" etc.

I'm not saying anything about how she wants to be treated, I don't speak for her nor while I attempt to. What I said has to do with what has been posted in this thread and what moderator attempted their hand at humor by changing the thread title. I agree with everything you say here.
Saying "I've always put out reasonable rumors" is not an appropriate defence. She shouldn't be putting out rumours at all. No one should be publishing rumors at all. She should be doing her research, talking to her sources, and only publishing stuff she's certain of, or she should be presenting herself in a less certain, less declarative ways.

She says, on Twitter, right now, "I was mostly right about my E3 2011 rumors"

Here's what she said at the time:
"LET’S MAKE A BET
PUBLISHED BY EMILY ROGERS ON MAY 30, 2011 IN CONSOLES
I am willing to risk everything on these predictions. If I am wrong on any of these predictions, I will never write an article again."

Does that sound like someone passing along rumors? Stuff that's reasonable but that she's not sure about?

Again, I agree with your underlining statement here. However, that was almost two years ago. To hold that against someone that does not pass themselves off as professional nor gets paid to do so to the likes of IGN, GI, Kotaku, etc is asinine. When GAF and other internet sites can start a false rumor about things like Metal Gear Triology or some other games existing and the majority of the main sites report that as news it's funny but no one is denouncing them from ever reporting on anything ever again. Someone who is attempting to pass along information as an individual without any positive benefits or gains to it without an organization backing them up is bound to get things wrong and making bold statements is asking to get burnt in the face especially in this industry. If Emily Rogers or any other individual like Paul Gale repeatedly was wrong and repeatedly made the same mistakes without learning from them then we can have a discussion about that.

But my point is that it's pretty easy to ignore Emily Rogers, she's not promoted on any site, only other members wind up making threads about her. If what she is doing on her Twitter account is truly against what passes for journalism these days in the game press and the moderation is in agreement about it then let's just have it be on the list of banned topics/sources and be done with it.

Oersted

This. Well, I was personally hoping for it and thought it could kinda happen with Monster Games - which is why I never expected this to happen, because when do these kind of whises ever come true. And I'm quite surprised this ,,rumor'' actually is a thing.
Also, they could just make another 3DS game if WiiU is too much to handle. Now that I think about it, Excite Truck could be fucking amazing with 3D. (them jumps)

I remember before Excitebots was revealed, they've said that they wouldn't even give postmen or whoever a look into their office to keep their project a secret. So I'm pretty sure no one knows what the hell they are making.

Imagine the ability to change terrain....

Either he is trolling or posting her pm messages cause Emily Rogers isnt talking in irc.

ugh that sucks

I think he got it from IRC with Emily Roger. I'm not sure if I'm correct.

I think people here need to lighten up when it come to rumors or insider informations. It's fun game, at long you take the information with grain of salts.

agreed we should not be so harsh towards people for rumors. In regards to Nintendo we should cut people even more slack since that company never talks before they are ready

and most of the time they drop some huge bombs

Oddduck

Anything she has gotten "right" was taken from GAF. She reads this site and pulls anything speculated or rumored by posters here for her blog. All of it was pulled from the WiiU speculation threads. She has no inside information, I don't understand why this myth continues to be propagated, but its the same people on here who continue to post her stuff. She has loyal fans who either work with her on notenoughshaders, or talk to her in irc channels. It's bizarre.

If she wants to help indie devs, then by all means continue to do so. But the continued claims that she has insider info is just plain garbage, and it has been proven enough times already. Asking for us to treat her kindly because she isn't always right is ridiculous when she is constantly being reposted here as a supposed legitimate source for news and rumors.

Have you ever looked at the people who follow her on Twitter?

It's like, mostly game developers, Nintendo employees and reps, gaming journalists from Nintendo sites, eShop developers, and Gaffers. Obviously somehow she got that trust somewhere. I wouldn't say the people who follow her are some insane cult of crazy people.

freddy

Banned
Likewise, if Emily Rogers was posting break-ups and trouble with college classes, she'd be judged by her age, but as long as she's declaring factually that she has insider information, she'll be judged based on that.
Well, I've just done some research on her and I can't find much besides NeoGAF references, a twitter account and a small Nintendo-centric fansite. So, I guess if anyone is pushing her into the spotlight with predictions it would be her own doing. So I agree, judge away.

Top Bottom