• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Monster Games NOT making Diddy Kong Racing Wii U

guek

Banned
That's great, but regardless of some of that stuff (which is pretty minor, let's be honest) almost all of the stuff she posted before E3 2011 was fake, false, or could have been predicted by anyone.

I wasn't talking about indie stuff because I know she has indie friends and does a lot of work with getting them involved in Nintendo. I respect her for that, but it doesn't make me believe she knows anything of significance, certainly not enough to say she's going to talk about stuff 'this year and E3'.

This is the last I'll post in this thread since I don't really want to get too embroiled in this discussion over her legitimacy but all I'll say is that, once again, Emily is NOT some Paul Gale figure who likes to hype up her info for attention or just makes shit up to be famous. Gaf just likes to build her up as some charlatan but the boring truth is she's just reporting stuff she's heard down the grapevine from actual industry contacts who may or may not be feeding her the truth. And though I can't elaborate because I don't want to encroach on her privacy, I can say from my personal experience with talking with her AND with the brief contact I've personally had with some of her contacts through running notenoughshaders that Emily does actually talk to people within the industry. I know that my word is essentially worthless and saying "trust me" doesn't amount to anything but it'd be inappropriate to talk any more about her industry relationships.

She's not always necessarily right but it's not because she makes stuff up like gaf likes to believe nor is she pretending to be some kind of deep industry mole.

Wiz

Wait, people want a new Diddy Kong Racing? News to me.

Anyway, I hope they're working on F-Zero or SOMETHING exciting...

This is the last I'll post in this thread since I don't really want to get too embroiled in this discussion over her legitimacy but all I'll say is that, once again, Emily is NOT some Paul Gale figure who likes to hype up her info for attention or just makes shit up to be famous. Gaf just likes to build her up as some charlatan but the boring truth is she's just reporting stuff she's heard down the grapevine from actual industry contacts who may or may not be feeding her the truth. And though I can't elaborate because I don't want to encroach on her privacy, I can say from my personal experience with talking with her AND with the brief contact I've personally had with some of her contacts through running notenoughshaders that Emily does actually talk to people within the industry. I know that my word is essentially worthless and saying "trust me" doesn't amount to anything but it'd be inappropriate to talk any more about her industry relationships.

She's not always necessarily right but it's not because she makes stuff up like gaf likes to believe nor is she pretending to be some kind of deep industry mole.

That's my thought as well. Also it's fair to take anything she says with at least some grain of salt, I mean her saying Monster isn't making DKR is as true as some random person saying they are, we don't know, and we won't until they show off what they are making, but she's shown that she gets my vote on at least trusting her in that it's a way to debunk the rumors.

If what I said makes any sense. :p

But she's earned my trust and isn't one I'm going to automatically call BS on, especially as it's second-hand info in the first place, it's not like she claimed to have gone to Monster and saw what they're making and then tells us what it's not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Paul Gale actually does talk to people in the industry as well. Whether or not all the baloney stuff comes from him making it up, or him not understanding discretion in terms of contextualizing the information he's given, who knows?

Same thing with Emily Rogers. If you get into the industry as a non-professional fan, and gradually talk to people and make contacts and raise your stature through releasing information, then a part of your responsibility is learning discretion. It's not an excuse to say "I'm just relaying what I was told". People get reputations for being trustworthy or not in large part because they learn to get extra confirmation, ask the right questions to make sure they're understanding the information correctly, and often not saying anything at all.

dani_dc

I had absolutely any idea this was even a rumor.

That's a shame that it isn't happening (assuming that's true), Excitetruck was a great overlooked game, and it's still a crime that Excitebots never came out in Europe, Pilotwings was a solid title that lacked only in content.

A Diddy Kong Racing by Monster Games would had been a good move both for MG and Nintendo, MG hasn't found much commercial sucess, but I think an IP such as Diddy Kong would help them acheive commercial sucess while also delivering a quality game on the franchise.
As for Nintendo, I believe this would be a good game to have in their platforms a few years after Mario Kart, as it partly appeals to the same crowd while still being different enough to not be sweept under a rug (much like DCRK and Mario games).

apana

Emily Rogers for President of Nintendo!
Don't know who she is.

Anyways, Diddy Kong racing won't be made because it makes too much sense. Whenever an idea makes too much sense Nintendo decides to cancel it.

Look, I like Emily (as much as I have not met I suppose), she doesn't strike me as the kind of same ilk as Paul Gale or Michael Pachter. Probably presumptuous in some of the things she posts, but nothing intentionally misleading.

Whether she's right or not, I don't believe anything Emily Rogers says after the whole Wii U rumours train she got going. Post after post of made up bullshit, and now she's a credible source?

Paul Gale actually does talk to people in the industry as well. Whether or not all the baloney stuff comes from him making it up, or him not understanding discretion in terms of contextualizing the information he's given, who knows?

Same thing with Emily Rogers. If you get into the industry as a non-professional fan, and gradually talk to people and make contacts and raise your stature through releasing information, then a part of your responsibility is learning discretion. It's not an excuse to say "I'm just relaying what I was told". People get reputations for being trustworthy or not in large part because they learn to get extra confirmation, ask the right questions to make sure they're understanding the information correctly, and often not saying anything at all.

This is also true, I learned a long time ago that if you do keep in contact with anyone in the business, it's best to not say anything publicly because one, stuff you discuss could be confidential, and two, you don't want to make any kind of mistake and give out the slightest incorrect detail. I feel that Emily is at least now has her own way of doing these kind of things, and is more careful about which insiders she trusts.

Also about those two pics, were those by chance from around April Fools? Could've been deliberate for all we know.

DaBoss

Don't know who she is.

Anyways, Diddy Kong racing won't be made because it makes too much sense. Whenever an idea makes too much sense Nintendo decides to cancel it.

Yes, cause having Pokemon in a DKR made sense. That is what the rumor said.

Don't know who she is.

I hope this isn't too significant of a derail, but I can't resist here:

Who are these people who are frothing at the mouth for a DKR sequel? I didn't even know that a sequel to that game was in demand. What would it offer that Mario Kart couldn't?

Isnt Monster Games still only like 20 people?

Why would anyone think they were spearheading a full WiiU title?

Don't Nintendo have a team (SPD?) that goes and helps with teams like Monster to make games? Who says they wouldn't give Monster the necessary man-power to make a retail Wii U game?

That's well and good, but she did post screenshots of two games that turned out to be fake. She did produce a seemingly fake list of Wii U developers prior to E3 2011 with the wrong end date of E3. No one demanded that she do that; she chose to release that information of her own accord and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to judge her style for that. It's very nice that she likes to share some of the info she receives, and even if she's not professional, her track record with that sort of thing does count.

I actually do like her writing style and I respect her strongly for her work with Indie devs on Nintendo systems. I do think she is harshly judged, but she has not got a clean track record for accuracy. (I love NES too, btw).

AoM

I hope this isn't too significant of a derail, but I can't resist here:

Who are these people who are frothing at the mouth for a DKR sequel? I didn't even know that a sequel to that game was in demand. What would it offer that Mario Kart couldn't?

Did you play DKR?

Would have made too much sense, I guess.

Well then, give me EXCIIIIITE TRUCKS VS BIKES HD STUNTRACING and I'll be fine too. Too bad they probably won't release another racing game too close to Mario Kart, I'd imagine.

Would have made too much sense, I guess.

Well then, give me EXCIIIIITE TRUCKS VS BIKES HD STUNTRACING and I'll be fine too. Too bad they probably won't release another racing game too close to Mario Kart, I'd imagine.

What? This isn't confirmed. This is some rumor perpetuated by an "industry insider" who has been wrong before.

Isn't this the same woman who said Banjo-Kazooie was being ported to the 3DS and that Soul Caliber 5 would be a Wii U launch title?

So let's say I want to play DKR right now. What are my options?

Dig up my N64, try to find a copy of the cart
Buy the remake for the DS (3DS?)

Was the portable remake any good, or did they nerf it somehow? Is it seriously not available on any home console, Virtual Console or otherwise, except for the N64? I really want to play it again but I'd so much rather play on a TV.

So let's say I want to play DKR right now. What are my options?

Dig up my N64, try to find a copy of the cart
Buy the remake for the DS (3DS?)

Was the portable remake any good, or did they nerf it somehow? Is it seriously not available on any home console, Virtual Console or otherwise, except for the N64? I really want to play it again but I'd so much rather play on a TV.

Get the original, the DS version has bad touch screen gimmicks, and they changed the voices, also the music, even though it was by Dave Wise again, loses something special on the DS, it doesn't compare.

Get the original, the DS version has bad touch screen gimmicks, and they changed the voices, also the music, even though it was by Dave Wise again, loses something special on the DS, it doesn't compare.

Ugh, yeah, screw that. Guess I'll hit up some of the retro gaming stores that are all over Burbank to try and find a cheap copy. (And Beetle Adventure Racing, while I'm at it)

Ok. Then it should be obvious: adventure mode.

Also, when you get a trailer, some frothing will occur.

Something like that could very easily be added to Mario Kart.

As to the potential audience of people who are sitting around waiting for this game to be released, well. I guess there was a reason I wasn't aware this was in demand.

It's not in demand.

?oe?oe

The DKR rumour wasn't even real, I thought. Just a bunch of people wishing it was coming and it just spread.

215197632_CZdRi-L-2.jpg

EhoaVash

grain of salt <etc>

" iwata interview statment was before the severe 'critical crisis' as described by an insider i know about the situation in Japan..

following week sales of wii u hardware have collapsed to a new low and caused nintendo to rethink pricing strategy.

expect a nintendo press conference not nintendo direct stream later this month in response to media attention shifting toward sony/ms next gen consoles

holiday season to be treated as the second launch of wii u. game/console bundles used to spur sales. inc Mario U and basic wii u bundle..$199

iwata working hard to grow third party library of wii u. rockstar x retro games exclusive title to be revealed at this years e3..

retro and nintendo approached rockstar to utilise the experience they are able to leverage in an open world game"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wasn't this obvious the moment Nintendo confirmed Mario Kart releasing relatively soon?

Oddduck

grain of salt <etc>

" iwata interview statment was before the severe 'critical crisis' as described by an insider i know about the situation in Japan..

following week sales of wii u hardware have collapsed to a new low and caused nintendo to rethink pricing strategy.

expect a nintendo press conference not nintendo direct stream later this month in response to media attention shifting toward sony/ms next gen consoles

holiday season to be treated as the second launch of wii u. game/console bundles used to spur sales. inc Mario U and basic wii u bundle..$199

iwata working hard to grow third party library of wii u. rockstar x retro games exclusive title to be revealed at this years e3..

retro and nintendo approached rockstar to utilise the experience they are able to leverage in an open world game"

lol where did this come from and who said this?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I want another Excite game, without red bars, or running on legs. Add in create a track and you've got like 1000 sales.

My sister recently sold a copy of the N64 Diddy Kong Racing to Travis Fike, who, according to his website, works at Crystal Dynamics as an "environment artist". It was just the cartridge too. No box or anything.

Is that something newsworthy? Is there something there!? Maybe he needed it for research purposes.

Is Crystal Dynamics working on the next Diddy Kong racing game?

AoM

Something like that could very easily be added to Mario Kart.

As to the potential audience of people who are sitting around waiting for this game to be released, well. I guess there was a reason I wasn't aware this was in demand.

It's not in demand.

It would great to have some more variety in the kart racing genre though..

Most people who played both MK64 and DKR enjoyed them each for their own reasons, both games having their strengths.

Top Bottom