• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Monster Games NOT making Diddy Kong Racing Wii U

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Again, I agree with your underlining statement here. However, that was almost two years ago. To hold that against someone that does not pass themselves off as professional

I am willing to risk everything on these predictions. If I am wrong on any of these predictions, I will never write an article again.

When GAF and other internet sites can start a false rumor about things like Metal Gear Triology or some other games existing and the majority of the main sites report that as news it's funny but no one is denouncing them from ever reporting on anything ever again.

First of all, they got roasted for that. They didn't get let off.

Second of all, context depends as well. If a website posts "According to a post on NeoGAF forums, Shigeru Miyamoto is directing Bulletstorm 2", they're certainly silly for posting it, but the attribution is there and there's distancing language. This, by the way, is basically the issue with Go Nintendo. RMC posts a lot of stuff, including stuff that there's no reason to believe, but to his absolute 100% credit he never, ever, ever misrepresents the source or certainty of his information, because he knows his reputation would suffer if he did. That's part of why so many people like him and his site, because he doesn't BS. It's why I still read his site, even if I roll my eyes at stuff I think is obviously fake.

If a website posts "CONFIRMED: MIYAMOTO WORKING FOR EPIC, BULLETSTORM 2 WIIU EXCLUSIVE BEING ANNOUNCED AT E3", they're not just silly for picking up on a GAF post as fact uncritically, they're being dishonest by manipulating the information, drawing unwarranted conclusions, and trying to increase their own profile by inflating the information. I would never read a site like that.

Likewise, if there's a rumour about Diddy Kong Racing Wii U and a website adds it to their games database as an effort-saving shortcut for later, that's not really responsible, but it's hardly the same as a front-page declaration that it's true.

Another part of journalistic standards is printing retractions. This doesn't mean erasing the evidence you were wrong, it means presenting the most accurate information to your readers and using editor's notes.

So, in taking your point about major sites, some context is required. Some majors sites are absolutely not credible and should be flushed down the toilet. Others are generally credible but cut corners on journalistic ethics. Others follow all the right rules and still make mistakes occasionally, and that's fine.

Someone who is attempting to pass along information as an individual without any positive benefits or gains to it without an organization backing them up is bound to get things wrong and making bold statements is asking to get burnt in the face especially in this industry.

What do you mean "without any positive benefits or gains to it"? Are attention, fans, regular readers, opening doors to other industry sources, and building a portfolio not a positive benefit/gain anymore? Why do you think 1500 people follow her on Twitter?

But my point is that it's pretty easy to ignore Emily Rogers, she's not promoted on any site, only other members wind up making threads about her.

Irrelevant. She is speaking to a public audience and continues to speak to a public audience. Even now, she is directly addressing GAF criticism.

If what she is doing on her Twitter account is truly against what passes for journalism these days in the game press and the moderation is in agreement about it then let's just have it be on the list of banned topics/sources and be done with it.

Because there's a wide gulf between "Sources we frown upon, assess critically, critique when they're posted, and hold in low regard" and "sources on the very small list of sites that we actually block". What exactly is the problem with the status quo? Members can choose to post work from her. That work is analyzed both based on its content and based on the author's reputation. Some people will conclude that she does good work and is trustworthy, others will conclude the opposite. Both sides present evidence for their case. What's the problem?

NateDrake

Wasn't she the one who posted totally fake Wii U screens of Pikmin 3 and Endless Ocean around an E3 a couple yrs ago?

Also, it isn't right of her to attack Pale Gale or his rumors. Did he get some rumors wrong? Yes. But he has also been correct a number of times -- like PSABR. Hell, he asked GAF if he should discuss the Metroid X Starfox rumor because he wasn't sure of it himself and only shared because people asked. I believe Pale Gale more than her at the moment.

Gale --- Emily -- HipHopGamer when it comes to random rumors.

On topic, I never even heard of this rumor, so dismissing it is all well and good, I guess.

EMT0

Banned
I say that Diddy Kong Racing wouldn't make any sense. It's sales would get cannibalized by Mario Kart really heavily, and Mario Kart U is set to be revealed and released in the near future. I can't see it making any sense, as a business decision.

Then again, businesses don't always follow the best business decision.

Nice try EhoaVash, you wont be fooling anyone on gaf anymore. She wasnt even on irc nor talking to you. Stop spreading false info :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's like, mostly game developers, Nintendo employees and reps, gaming journalists from Nintendo sites, eShop developers, and Gaffers. Obviously somehow she got that trust somewhere. I wouldn't say the people who follow her are some insane cult of crazy people.

It's not true that someone that is followed by famous or reputable people are themselves reputable. Otherwise reputable sources cite VG Chartz all the time. This doesn't make people crazy, it just means that there's a lot of authority that comes with being known, whether or not it's earned or not.

A lot of them follow her because she does very earnest work in trying to talk to developers, and she's working on a particular sub-field where there's no one else. No one, and I mean no one, in professional gaming journalism cares about the eShop. Nintendolife similarly has a lot of awareness and high profile not because they're notably good, but because they just keep at it. Trying counts for a lot. That's also, by the way, why she has so many fans among message board posters--because she's someone who tries to do work in a field they're interested in that isn't otherwise well-served.

A more negative way of saying this would be "Fake it until you make it works pretty well", but that comes off as too negative. I'm not saying she's faking it. I'm saying she's someone who decided to try and threw herself at it and works hard--but also doesn't know some of the basic rules for conducting yourself when you do this stuff.

AoM

I say that Diddy Kong Racing wouldn't make any sense. It's sales would get cannibalized by Mario Kart really heavily, and Mario Kart U is set to be revealed and released in the near future. I can't see it making any sense, as a business decision.

DKR did pretty well compared to MK64, but the 16 year gap really wouldn't help now.

Like how Diddy Kong Racing's sales (4.4 million, Americas 11/24/97, Japan 11/21/97, Europe 11/21/97) got "cannibalized" by Mario Kart 64's sales (9 million, Americas 02/10/97, Japan 11/14/96, Europe 06/24/97)?

tnaden

"Emily rogers" on Irc

but yeah what xxbrothawizxx63 said ..can't take her seriously atm after that lulz
Yea.. no. I know for a fact that Emily hasn't said anything like this in the IRC's she's in.

I don't know why exactly you feel the need to spread lies about her though? What has she done to you?

Lulz .ok sure..anyway that Emily Rogers was a impersonator doesn't matter.. so yep its all lies :\
Yea. You'd think a person double checks these things before starting spreading shit.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's not true that someone that is followed by famous or reputable people are themselves reputable. Otherwise reputable sources cite VG Chartz all the time. This doesn't make people crazy, it just means that there's a lot of authority that comes with being known, whether or not it's earned or not.

A lot of them follow her because she does very earnest work in trying to talk to developers, and she's working on a particular sub-field where there's no one else. No one, and I mean no one, in professional gaming journalism cares about the eShop. Nintendolife similarly has a lot of awareness and high profile not because they're notably good, but because they just keep at it. Trying counts for a lot. That's also, by the way, why she has so many fans among message board posters--because she's someone who tries to do work in a field they're interested in that isn't otherwise well-served.

A more negative way of saying this would be "Fake it until you make it works pretty well", but that comes off as too negative. I'm not saying she's faking it. I'm saying she's someone who decided to try and threw herself at it and works hard--but also doesn't know some of the basic rules for conducting yourself when you do this stuff.

This is exactly the problem--people are too willing to accept and even forgive amateur garbage like this, purely because they don't see an alternative. Big fish, small pond, yada yada yada.

freddy

Banned
So I'm thinking if you are invested in having a dialogue with GAF over a period of time and seemingly have lots of friends here that post, you'd have an account here, so you could answer people's concerns directly. So what's the deal?

Hero

First of all, they got roasted for that. They didn't get let off.

Second of all, context depends as well. If a website posts "According to a post on NeoGAF forums, Shigeru Miyamoto is directing Bulletstorm 2", they're certainly silly for posting it, but the attribution is there and there's distancing language. This, by the way, is basically the issue with Go Nintendo. RMC posts a lot of stuff, including stuff that there's no reason to believe, but to his absolute 100% credit he never, ever, ever misrepresents the source or certainty of his information, because he knows his reputation would suffer if he did. That's part of why so many people like him and his site, because he doesn't BS. It's why I still read his site, even if I roll my eyes at stuff I think is obviously fake.

If a website posts "CONFIRMED: MIYAMOTO WORKING FOR EPIC, BULLETSTORM 2 WIIU EXCLUSIVE BEING ANNOUNCED AT E3", they're not just silly for picking up on a GAF post as fact uncritically, they're being dishonest by manipulating the information, drawing unwarranted conclusions, and trying to increase their own profile by inflating the information. I would never read a site like that.

Likewise, if there's a rumour about Diddy Kong Racing Wii U and a website adds it to their games database as an effort-saving shortcut for later, that's not really responsible, but it's hardly the same as a front-page declaration that it's true.

Another part of journalistic standards is printing retractions. This doesn't mean erasing the evidence you were wrong, it means presenting the most accurate information to your readers and using editor's notes.

So, in taking your point about major sites, some context is required. Some majors sites are absolutely not credible and should be flushed down the toilet. Others are generally credible but cut corners on journalistic ethics. Others follow all the right rules and still make mistakes occasionally, and that's fine.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying in terms of journalistic integrity. I think the difference is that you're holding Emily Rogers to being a journalist as much as you would someone from any of the various sites listed. I don't, especially after things like the situation with Kotaku. Since then, I don't believe she has written anything for a blog or website. I don't consider tweeting to be equivalent to journalism.

What do you mean "without any positive benefits or gains to it"? Are attention, fans, regular readers, opening doors to other industry sources, and building a portfolio not a positive benefit/gain anymore? Why do you think 1500 people follow her on Twitter?
I meant in regards to financial gain, unless somehow she is making money off of her Twitter followers that I'm not aware of. Surely those things you listed are positive benefits. Do you think she's doing any of this purely out of self interest?

Because there's a wide gulf between "Sources we frown upon, assess critically, critique when they're posted, and hold in low regard" and "sources on the very small list of sites that we actually block". What exactly is the problem with the status quo? Members can choose to post work from her. That work is analyzed both based on its content and based on the author's reputation. Some people will conclude that she does good work and is trustworthy, others will conclude the opposite. Both sides present evidence for their case. What's the problem?

There's nothing wrong with the status quo. My comment stemmed from the individuals in this thread focusing on criticizing the person instead of the information posted, including a moderator, which of course has been reverted.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I meant in regards to financial gain, unless somehow she is making money off of her Twitter followers that I'm not aware of. Surely those things you listed are positive benefits. Do you think she's doing any of this purely out of self interest?

I do, absolutely.

LOL. He "got lucky" by predicting an exclusive Platinum game? Doesn't really matter though, he was most definitely an NoA worker.

Why is that so funny? If all he said was "There is going to be a Platinum Games Wii U exclusive," that gives us absolutely no evidence he was an insider AT ALL.

I could make random exclusive predictions all day--"There's going to be an exclusive Wii U Rockstar game!"--it doesn't actually mean I'm an insider.

Why is that so funny? If all he said was "There is going to be a Platinum Games Wii U exclusive," that gives us absolutely no evidence he was an insider AT ALL.

I could make random exclusive predictions all day--"There's going to be an exclusive Wii U Rockstar game!"--it doesn't actually mean I'm an insider.

He didn't simply predict a Platinum game. He called it a WTF-y type game, which it obviously is, as well as saying that Pikmin 3 was basically an uprezzed Wii game with nicer textures and a very good DoF effect. He also stuck around for awhile and made it more obvious in his stance against any Nintendo bashing.

There's plenty of other evidence, but we're getting off-topic.

He didn't simply predict a Platinum game. He called it a WTF-y type game, which it obviously is, as well as saying that Pikmin 3 was basically an uprezzed Wii game with nicer textures and a very good DoF effect. He also stuck around for awhile and made it more obvious in his stance against any Nintendo bashing.

There's plenty of other evidence, but we're getting off-topic.

Okay.... "I predict Nintendo is going to announce an exclusive Rockstar game at E3. It's going to be WTF-y." That second part is based off of conjecture. Who wouldn't assume a Nintendo-exclusive Platinum game would be "WTF-y"?

It's related. The point is, we shouldn't trust these kind of people, no matter who they are, even if someone gets something right by chance once in a while.

What I understood from the info in this thread,
Retro and Rockstar are working on an open world "Diddy Kong X Mario Kart"

Lol

Like how Diddy Kong Racing's sales (4.4 million, Americas 11/24/97, Japan 11/21/97, Europe 11/21/97) got "cannibalized" by Mario Kart 64's sales (9 million, Americas 02/10/97, Japan 11/14/96, Europe 06/24/97)?

It was an entirely different market for one thing. For two, Rare made it. And not Rare is in current Rare.

There's no real reason to make this game when everything that made it great can easily be transitioned into Mario Kart WiiU. I don't see DKR64 levels of success here, which is why I asked who this audience is who's been waiting for a sequel for the past 12 years.

Neiteio

"CONFIRMED: MIYAMOTO WORKING FOR EPIC, BULLETSTORM 2 WIIU EXCLUSIVE BEING ANNOUNCED AT E3"
Oh man, if this headline came true, I can't even tell you how many Olympic medals I'd win for all the gymnastics I'd pull off flipping out in joy/terror.

EDIT: More the idea of Bulletstorm 2 happening with Nintendo support, I mean. Dick-tits aside, it's what I'd imagine a Nintendo-made FPS to be.

Then how do you explain "SMASH BROS. CREATOR MAKES NEW KID ICARUS" or "RETRO STUDIOS MAKES DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 4?"

Man E3 2010 was freaking incredible.

In retrospect those do seem pretty crazy yeah. Though Kid Icarus was probably marred by the obsessive promises of IGN's Matt Cassamina. Seriously, I remember him looking pretty desperate whenever it came up.

No offense but I would predicted that since they were supposed to show Retro's new game trailer last e3 but it got nixed at last minute.

Edited: EatChildren could be right. :p. Mario Kart Wii U playable demo is confirmed for this e3 too.
Man if Retro's next game is actually Mario Kart that would be the biggest troll. Not that they'd do a bad job, but...

Neiteio

Anyway...can't wait for that new DKC!
Untitledpicture_zpsb94860db.png

Top Bottom