• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asahi: PlayStation 4 to be over 40,000 yen

Piggus

The PS3 was expensive for a reason,not sure why people think the PS4 is going to be $500.

Exactly. With the rumored specs there's absolutely no reason why the PS4 would be over $399. There's nothing in it driving up the cost (such as Blu-Ray in PS3). In fact if they sold it for $299 they'd probably be taking a LOWER hit per console sold compared to PS3, where they were losing about $200+ per console even at $600. They're not going to make that mistake again. The hardware is a lot more sensible

Also lol @ all the direct exchange rate conversions. It doesn't work that way, folks.

slider

On my phone so excuse the crappy post. The thing I was struck by is how MS seemingly realised how cost of entry is really important. I'm not even sure if there's evidence to support that but I'm convinced the cheap Core was a crucial win in terms of perception. Cost of entry!

Piggus

On my phone so excuse the crappy post. The thing I was struck by is how MS seemingly realised how cost of entry is really important. I'm not even sure if there's evidence to support that but I'm convinced the cheap Core was a crucial win in terms of perception. Cost of entry!

The problem with the Core (or Tard Pack as it was known) was it lacked a feature required by some games. So to play certain games the user had to go out and buy a stupid proprietary drive... Which was just a cheap $30 Western Digital laptop hard drive in a plastic case marked up to $100. It was embarrassing and I hope they realize that multiple SKUs are a lot better when users aren't forced to buy expensive periferals.

slider

The problem with the Core (or Tard Pack as it was known) was it lacked a feature required by some games. So to play certain games the user had to go out and buy a stupid proprietary drive... Which was just a cheap $30 Western Digital laptop hard drive in a plastic case marked up to $100. It was embarrassing and I hope they realize that multiple SKUs are a lot better when users aren't forced to buy expensive periferals.

Indeed. But I think from a consumer pov you see a (then) "next gen console" relatively cheap and you're all in so to speak. Breaking the cost down like that may appeal to folk.

I'm just guessing of course so... meh.

mattp

Hasn't Japanese industrial exports severely suffered due to the high yen? And isn't it a good thing for the Japanese economy that the yen is leveling out with the dollar? I don't know much about economics but I find this stuff interesting... like, how has the yen value collapsed so much in so little time? Inflation/overprinting of yen?

yeah im pretty sure this is great news for all these tech companies
they were getting killed from the strong yen, so without really knowing what i'm talking about, this should help them out a lot

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Exactly. With the rumored specs there's absolutely no reason why the PS4 would be over $399. There's nothing in it driving up the cost (such as Blu-Ray in PS3). In fact if they sold it for $299 they'd probably be taking a LOWER hit per console sold compared to PS3, where they were losing about $200+ per console even at $600. They're not going to make that mistake again. The hardware is a lot more sensible

Also lol @ all the direct exchange rate conversions. It doesn't work that way, folks.

There are a few things that concerned me. One was the rumor that move was going to be bundled in... 2 it's pretty powerful, and three the new controller sounds like itll cost a fairbit to keep packing them in.

Kitoro

One SKU is better than two; many will feel better buying a single-SKU system than the lower-end SKU alternative of a competing platform, even if the lower-end SKU poses a better value than the competing single-SKU. Nintendo needs to make the Deluxe SKU the standard and only SKU for $300 by the holidays, and MS and Sony would do well to release a single $400 SKU as well, IMO.

mojo2

Neo Member
We'll definitely have to pay more in Scandinavia, atleast in Denmark and Sweden - Sony doesn't have a PlayStation office in those countries and the assholes at Nordisk Film (who's Sony's middle man) will definitely have us pay more than it's recommended price. Remember Kaz Hirai saying "299 worldwide"? Yeah that didn't happen here... Until Webhallen started slicing the price, almost monthly. Followed by Elkjøp/Elgiganten.
We have to have faith that the retailers follow the recommended price that Sony sets and not the price Nordisk Film sets.

Order it from Amazon UK, problem solved. At least when in Finland. So not in Scandinavia technically...

Anyway, I got Wii U Premium for 320€ so I'll expect > 399€.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
There are a few things that concerned me. One was the rumor that move was going to be bundled in... 2 it's pretty powerful, and three the new controller sounds like itll cost a fairbit to keep packing them in.

There is no rumor about Move in the box, there is just a reference to it in developer documents.

gryz

Banned
yeah im pretty sure this is great news for all these tech companies
they were getting killed from the strong yen, so without really knowing what i'm talking about, this should help them out a lot

FWIW, my fiancee's Japanese family already converted our upcoming wedding gift from Yen to USD a few months ago as they felt that the exchange rate was at it's peak then and heading back towards parity.

looks like yen == 1 cent now

2MF

FWIW, my fiancee's Japanese family already converted our upcoming wedding gift from Yen to USD a few months ago as they felt that the exchange rate was at it's peak then and heading back towards parity.

looks like yen == 1 cent now

Nice brag post brah ;)

I expect $450, as it says over 40000 yen.

SunSunich

+ 2 cameras, 500GB HDD, some heavy cooling system for gpu and gddr5. I bet it will be over $450.

Mandoric

Banned
People never seem to remember this.

399 is almost a given.

Trying to divine too much from Japan's price, which is a normal sales tax rather than a VAT at 5% that's included in many but not all advertised prices, is kind of fruitless. After all, the PS1 and PS2 launched at 39,800 yen and $299, and the PS1's launch window had a similar yen rate.

Could be $399. Could be $449 if "over 40k" means 45k or 48k. Could even be lower if a bean-counter at Sony HQ decides that PS3 sunk in the US because we didn't get our usual discount, though I wouldn't bet money on this happening.

But this is Sony we're talking about

shaowebb

Depends on the software lineup for me. Same goes for all 3 of the next gen consoles really. When the roster of games is big enough, impressive enough, and exclusive enough I will be able to settle upon a console. Till then I'm happy to play through my last gen library just like how I bided my time on my 360 and Wii. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on PS3 till after PS4 spec announces at E3. Hoping it drops in price so that I can import Kamen Rider Battride War easier.

Xtars

$449

Been saying it for a long time now, it is a reasonable price for the consumer and at that price they can go +-0 or even + a few bucks on each console day 1.

399 €/$, is the magic spot for the PS4s price, I'd say..

I think the Wii U being priced 50€/$ (or even 100 €/$, since essentially no one wanted the white one) too high didn't do good things for its sales.

miksar

So everyone wants to buy a console with no software line-up announced for $399? I'd understand it after the Playstation meeting, but now, come on.

Dunan

Hasn't Japanese industrial exports severely suffered due to the high yen? And isn't it a good thing for the Japanese economy that the yen is leveling out with the dollar? I don't know much about economics but I find this stuff interesting... like, how has the yen value collapsed so much in so little time? Inflation/overprinting of yen?

The devaluing of the yen began as Abe's victory in the election became more assured, and has snowballed since then. It shows little sign of stopping; the yen might reach parity with the US and Canadian cents, the way things are going.

This is like the Iceland currency disaster, only just a little slower. The dollar has gained 22% (17 / 77) on the yen in just two months. All societies are reliant on the international economy to some extent -- particularly for energy, which is bought on the international market -- so the average person in Japan will see higher prices for most things very soon. This will, probably in a single year, reverse several years of small declines in the price level that had been making life a bit easier year by year.

Salaries will not rise to match this, and interest rates at the bank will remain at bare-minimum levels (0.01%). Abe's actions are pure theft from the younger generation, who are trying to save money and don't have the high salaries that their parents' generation had. And the elderly are receiving pensions that are linked to the price level, so inflation and devaluation don't hurt them as much. But in Japan, there are so many elderly that politicians can count on overtly favoring them at the expense of the under-40 crowd and still be elected.

To my knowledge a weak currency is good for exports because it makes goods cheaper, but it sucks if you are a saver in that country.

Exactly. Exporters strike it rich -- Sony will be one such, if they can get $450 for their PS4 while 40,000 yen goes from being worth $520 down to, say, $400 -- and regular folks are left poorer. One of the reasons Japan has had a stable society is that its economy has encourage diligent saving, in boring, staid vehicles like postal accounts, as opposed to heedless, irresponsible activities. Everybody saves money upon reaching adulthood, and everyone has an interest in that money retaining its value.

Imagine that some government official reached into your bank account and took 22% of whatever you owned, and that your salary dropped by 22% almost overnight. You'd be ready to slap that thieving official right in the head.

Chao

I will never pay 400+ for a gaming console. Besides, it won't have a new optical media to use as a trojan horse like Sony did the last two times, so why the hell should it be 400 or more?

Edit: and don't say "specs" they could come up with a super powerful machine, leagues better than PS3 for 300

THE:MILKMAN

I will never pay 400+ for a gaming console. Besides, it won't have a new optical media to use as a trojan horse like Sony did the last two times, so why the hell should it be 400 or more?

Because they can't afford to take a $200+ loss this time. And then there is inflation. I'm hoping for £350 maximum but some think £400 (PS3 was £425 rrp)

Top Bottom