• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Razoric said:
So add me to whatever list you guys are keeping track of.

Those with a dead console:

-Rogue5-
36WiiS3
8bit
a Master Ninja
adamsappel
Adent
AlanHemberger
ant1532
arogan
ascully
AtomicShroom
AZ Greg
BamYouHaveAids
bengraven
Big Nate x 2
bin4ry
BioFan
bill0527
Birbo
Blacklion
blahness
Bloodwake
Blue Geezer
Bog x 2
brokenwatch
btf1980
buckfutter x 2
C4lukins
camel
Cerrius
Chiaroscuro x 2
Chiggs
chinmonster x 2
Chris B
Ciroslive
Cloudy
cochese x 2
CorwinB x 2
curiouscharles
CrapSandwich
d0x360 x 2
DaCocoBrova
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
dark_preacher
DarkAngelYuna x 2
Dast
Dave Long
Dekelia
DemonCleaner
DenogginizerOS
diable
DoctorWho
DopeyFish
Dr. Strangelove
Dr_Cogent
DrDogg
Drey1082 x 2
Drohne
dskillzhtown
Edwood
EekTheKat
Emerson
eso76
f_elz x 2
Fallout-NL
Fight for Freeform
FirstInHell
Flynn
fnmore x 2
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 3
frunty x 2
gbovo
GitarooMan x 2
gkrykewy x 3
goldenpp72
Gorey x 2
grendelrt x 2
Grug
gsarjeant
gstaff
GunFingers
gwiz210
Gyrian Seed
Harmonica x 3
hgplayer1
Hitler Stole My Potato
HydrantC12
IAmTheFMan
ijm72
J-Rzez
Jack Mehoffer
Jason McMaster
JB1981
jedimike
jlh x 2
JMPovoa
joamgcd x 2
JoatesDogg187
jobber
Joeroll x 2
jstephenson
JuanMR2 x 2
Jugendstil
Kaijima
Kammie
Kammy
Karg x 2
Kingpen
Koam
lachesis
Leondexter
Live from Kyoto
Lonesome_Raod x 4
Louminater
Lo-Volt x 2
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
Mana Knight
Marty Chinn
McBacon
Median x 2
Meier x 3
mentalward
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
mm04
Mojovonio x 2
Morbo
mr jones
Mr Wispy
Mutanthands
Nameless
Nerevar
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
Ninja Scooter
NMC2006
Nozi
NYR
Odjn
Odysseus
oldschoolpinball x 2
Ollie Cromwell
Oneself x 2
Oni Jazar x 2
op_ivy x 3
painey x 2
Patrickula
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
pollo
Price Drop
Pseudo judo
Pug x 2
Quagm1r3
Qwerty710710
rastex x 2
Razoric
RDDragon
regs x 2
REK
RevenantKioku
Reznor x 2
Rorshach
rs7k
Rud13inJapan x 2
RumpledForeskin x 2
ryutaro’s mama
Ryuuga
Saurus
Schnicktick
Scottlarock
Sean
segarr
Session x 2
Sho Nuff
Shpankey
siamesedreamer
sirris
Sjoerd
Skenzin
Skilotonn
Son of Godzilla
Spazbiohaz
Speculawyer x 2
Speevy x 2
Spencerr x 4
SpokkX
Stoney Mason
Suikguy
Surfheart*
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Tabris
TAJ
tedtropy x 2
tenchir
terrygolder x 2
The Faceless Master
TheWolf
Tobor
Trasher
Trmas
TTP
TurboFool
Uncle
unomas x 3
VALIS x 2
Vark
Vectored Thrust
VibratingDonkey
Viddie
vinnay x 2
viper60782
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
Winalot
X360FanBoyLOL
xenon
Zen

Those hoping against hope:

985boi*
BuddyC*
DJ Sl4m*
FLUXCapacitor*
madmook*
Mareg*
mattiewheels*
Methodis*
pheeniks*
Rummy Bunz*
Surfheart*

267 dead consoles, 12 on life support. Any incorrect info, let me know.

My system just started giving me problems. I was futzing around the dashboard while downloading the R6:V demo, and heard a sudden "fzzzzz" and the screen froze, and my controller was locked out. Restarted, got the Red Ring o' Death and Destruction. Restarted again, but I got frozen out two more times, with the "fzzzz" occuring everytime. I'm hoping (beyond reason) that it's the update, but I know in my heart that my hardware is f***ed.

Edit: before all of this happened, my optical output for 5.1 Surround stopped working.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
adamsappel said:
36WiiS3
8bit
adamsappel
ant1532
AtomicShroom
AZ Greg
BamYouHaveAids*
bengraven
Big Nate x 2
BioFan
Bloodwake
Blue Geezer
buckfutter
BuddyC*
C4lukins
Camel
Cerrius
Chiggs
Ciroslive
DaCocoBrova
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
DarkAngelYuna
Dave Long
DopeyFish
d0x360 x 2
Dr_Cogent
Dr. Strangelove
Drey1082 x 2
Drohne
Edwood
Emerson
f_elz x 2
Fallout-NL
Fight for Freeform
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 2
GitarooMan
gkrykewy x 3
goldenpp72
Gorey x 2
Grug
gsarjeant*
gstaff
IAmTheFMan
ijm72
J-Rzez
JB1981
JoatesDogg187
Joeroll x 2
JuanMR2
Kaijima
Kammy
Karg x 2
Koam
lachesis
Leondexter
Live from Kyoto
Lo-Volt x 2
Louminater
madmook*
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
mattiewheels*
McBacon
Meier x 3
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
Mojovonio
Mr Wispy
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
Ninja Scooter
Ollie Cromwell
Oneself
op_ivy
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
pheeniks*
Pseudo judo
rastex x 2
Razoric
RDDragon
RevenantKioku
Reznor
Rs7k*
Rummy Bunz*
RumpledForeskin
ryutaro’s mama
Saurus
Skenzin
Sho Nuff
sirris
Sjoerd
Son of Godzilla
Speculawyer
Speevy
Spencerr x 4
Stoney Mason
Suikguy*
Surfheart
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Tabris
The Faceless Master* (self-repair)
TheWolf
Trmas
Uncle
unomas
VALIS x 2
Vark
VibratingDonkey
Viddie
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
X360FanBoyLOL
Zen

I’m reposting this list as it’s getting harder to find back there. That's 128 dead machines plus 10 on life support (those are marked with an asterisk). Any incorrect info, let me know.

That's actually frightening....woah......probably the launch consoles....WOW!

That's just scary. Anybody with me on that

Got mine back a few hours before the fall update, and I noticed this new one (with a different drive might I add) is significantly more silent than my launch 360. And it produces less heat duiring long sessions at that. Anyone else notice this with their replacements?

Median

I bought my 360 on Wednesday, brought it home, applied the Fall Dashboard update and WHAM. Error 71 and one bricked 360. The people at the store I got it from didn't want to take it back but sent it to Microsoft for repair for me and gave me their demo unit to play while I wait for mine to come back. And, MicVlaD, I hope that the newer ones are quieter than the launch ones cause the one they gave me (a launch unit) is damn loud.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
op_ivy said:
i called again today, was told that i'd have to send ity in for repair again, and heres the kick in the nuts, i'd be reposible for shipping. i said "woah woah woah, hold it right there spinach chin, i'm doing no such thing." he says he has to talk to a supervisor and after 30 min of being on hold comes back and says they will send out a box and cover shipping.... but they are still unable to start the repair process now cause their systems are still down. he said to call back in 48 hours.

losing patience quickly.

FYI, i also got a letter in the mail from xbox asking me to puirchase an extended warrenty. i have till dec something to do so (90 days from my initial repair i guess). good to know they are making that available to those of us that had 05 systems die out of warrenty. with how shitty these systems seem to be, i'll definitely be getting at least the 2 year plan. ****ing bastards

little update...

the above was posted on 10/18. i went out of town the following monday (10/23) for work trainging. my dad was supposed to take care of sending my 360 back for repairs/replacement. after 2 weeks i'm home again, but it turns out the box never showed up!

i called support, was told yeah, they have the work order, but no carrier or tracking number for the box. i guess someone dropped the ball and it never went out.

god, the 360 support has been atrocious thus far. a big fat fu to ms from me.

Well mine is down again, it freezes a few minutes into Madden, RR6, Saints Row and I'm getting the red ring of death. Going to have to call and get another fix. Also going to ask why they haven't refunded the money from my first repair yet. Sucks, but hey at least PS3/Wii is coming in a couple of weeks.

Reave

I ended up calling them back and getting rid of this replacement unit that has damaged some of my games. I was supposed to get my repair box yesterday, but it looks like I'll get it on a monday, if these tards even shipped it... this is going to be a long two weeks. If I don't get a working replacement 360 this time, I'm going to flip out on these guys the next time I call in.

How has everyone's luck been on replacement units as a whole? Am I a part of a small percentage of people who get faulty replacements, or does the same thing ALWAYS happen to everybody?

Well my 360 hasn't died yet, but heres my story because I thinks its gonna happen any day now.

I bought my 360 in July off newegg.com. When it arrived I was pretty dissapointed to find out it was a refurbished one from launch. Well about a month or so ago the DVD drive started getting pretty loud when launching a game, it almost sounds like a jet taking off lol. I started getting disc read errors and "to play this disc put it in a 360 console" error. It rarely happened, but now it happens every single time with any game I try. It takes a good 5-10 times of opening and closing the tray until it reads the disc. The bright side is the console isn't overheating and once it reads the disc the games they play fine. Everything works great, but I think it's pretty obvious the drive is slowly dying.

This sucks bigtime cause gears comes out in 2 days and I don't want to send it in for repairs, so I'm just gonna deal with it until it completely stops reading discs. When I do have to send it in I'm gonna demand a brand new console cause I really don't want one thats been refurbished 2 times.

Skenzin

Banned
Reznor said:
I ended up calling them back and getting rid of this replacement unit that has damaged some of my games. I was supposed to get my repair box yesterday, but it looks like I'll get it on a monday, if these tards even shipped it... this is going to be a long two weeks. If I don't get a working replacement 360 this time, I'm going to flip out on these guys the next time I call in.

How has everyone's luck been on replacement units as a whole? Am I a part of a small percentage of people who get faulty replacements, or does the same thing ALWAYS happen to everybody?

From what I've seen in these and other forums it seems that about 50% of returned consoles have other major problems. (power buttons not working, front lights not working, scratches and broken plastic, faulty dvd drives, freezes and lockups) It seems the MS "repair center" in nothing more than reshuffling facility for faulty 360s. So you probably won't get your broken box back but someone elses. too many people are on their 2nd or 3rd 360 from the "repair center".

Anyway tommorow I'll get my system back. If it doesn't run right I'l be taking it for trade-in. on anew unit and eat the $100. MS needs to improve their product engineering for acceptable lifespan.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
adamsappel said:
36WiiS3
[cut]

I’m reposting this list as it’s getting harder to find back there. That's 128 dead machines plus 10 on life support (those are marked with an asterisk). Any incorrect info, let me know.

My name is missing there :mad:

My launch 360 died with Chromehounds.

Reave

Skenzin said:
From what I've seen in these and other forums it seems that about 50% of returned consoles have other major problems. (power buttons not working, front lights not working, scratches and broken plastic, faulty dvd drives, freezes and lockups) It seems the MS "repair center" in nothing more than reshuffling facility for faulty 360s. So you probably won't get your broken box back but someone elses. too many people are on their 2nd or 3rd 360 from the "repair center".

Anyway tommorow I'll get my system back. If it doesn't run right I'l be taking it for trade-in. on anew unit and eat the $100. MS needs to improve their product engineering for acceptable lifespan.

I was actually considering the same thing. You planning on getting a core, or another premium? I was considering a core myself, then I'd just have to buy some cheapo standard cables to trade in with this faulty one and keep my components. I wonder how much value we'd get for a preowned 360...

My Xbox 360 Died today as well, After playing SC: DA my Xbox starting crashing, then when I attempted to play Need for Speed (Shitty game btw) it crashed again. After that I knew it was dead. I salute you 3rd 360 you did well. Now to make my 4th 360 feel at home. Only thing I hate is that now I have to deal with MS to get my content back on my 360 when I'm not connected to the internet.

winalot

I'm in the UK and got my Premium console a couple of weeks after launch and the problems I'm having I've not seen anyone else experience.
The first problem seemed to be the hard drive, all of a sudden after well over 100 hours of Oblivion the game became very jerky and would act as if there were lag like in an multiplayer game. I got a memory unit, transferred the saves and everything was ok. Since then I never got round to getting the machine looked at and just stuck to using the mem. unit, lazy I know.
Lately the machine has stopped letting me sign out of the default gamertag account at the dashboard when the machine first boots, I have to start a game and then switch accounts or the machine crashes.
Most recently, playing Splinter Cell DA I've been having a lot of machine crashes, in multiplayer mainly, but last night it spread to single player and it looks like it's corrupted my save. I'm pretty furious. As if I didn't feel violated enough paying for a ridiculously unfinished game (multiplayer at least) it's now munched my progress.

I'm going to try my hardest to get a brand new machine from the retailer (Argos) but I don't like my chances. The odds of getting a duff refurbishment from MS are a little high it seems and I feel as though I've been screwed enough without the hassle of constant machine swaps. I really should have got round to this sooner I know, but now with GoW and RSV on the horizon, as well as my warranty coming up it's given me a kick.

Something I'm still not very clear on, if I get a machine replacement and have all my game saves and gamertags backed up onto a memory unit will they be fine when I put them on the HDD of the new machine? Is there an issue with XBLA games after a hardware change?

winalot said:
I'm in the UK and got my Premium console a couple of weeks after launch and the problems I'm having I've not seen anyone else experience.
The first problem seemed to be the hard drive, all of a sudden after well over 100 hours of Oblivion the game became very jerky and would act as if there were lag like in an multiplayer game. I got a memory unit, transferred the saves and everything was ok. Since then I never got round to getting the machine looked at and just stuck to using the mem. unit, lazy I know.
This sounds like you might need to clear the cache on the hard drive. I think for Oblivion you hold down A as it's booting, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Worth a shot if you haven't done it yet.

Reave

Spazbiohaz said:
Only thing I hate is that now I have to deal with MS to get my content back on my 360 when I'm not connected to the internet.

They'll reimburse you with points. Same problem I had.

rs7k

adamsappel said:

I wouldn't say mine's on life support. Graphics were very glitchy for about a day, but it hasn't done it in more than a week and I'm playing my 360 more now than I have in the past 2 months without any crashes.

Maybe I just broke it in :S

Sh0k

I just started having problems with my launch 360, it started freezing while playing games. Yesterday it happened twice while playing NFS:MW and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I have a 1 year replacement warranty with CompUSA, supposedly they will replace the system with a new one in the case there is any problems.

My question is if I replace my 360, should I keep my original Hard Drive and swap it with the new one, are all my saves going to be deleted or they are kept with my gamer tag ?

Juice

adamsappel said:
36WiiS3
8bit
adamsappel
ant1532
AtomicShroom
AZ Greg
BamYouHaveAids*
bengraven
Big Nate x 2
BioFan
Bloodwake
Blue Geezer
buckfutter
BuddyC*
C4lukins
Camel
Cerrius
Chiggs
Ciroslive
DaCocoBrova
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
DarkAngelYuna
Dave Long
DopeyFish
d0x360 x 2
Dr_Cogent
Dr. Strangelove
Drey1082 x 2
Drohne
Edwood
Emerson
f_elz x 2
Fallout-NL
Fight for Freeform
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 2
GitarooMan
gkrykewy x 3
goldenpp72
Gorey x 2
Grug
gsarjeant*
gstaff
IAmTheFMan
ijm72
J-Rzez
JB1981
JoatesDogg187
Joeroll x 2
JuanMR2
Kaijima
Kammy
Karg x 2
Koam
lachesis
Leondexter
Live from Kyoto
Lo-Volt x 2
Louminater
madmook*
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
mattiewheels*
McBacon
Median
Meier x 3
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
Mojovonio
Mr Wispy
Mutanthands
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
Ninja Scooter
Ollie Cromwell
Oneself
op_ivy
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
pheeniks*
Pseudo judo
rastex x 2
Razoric
RDDragon
RevenantKioku
Reznor
Rs7k*
Rummy Bunz*
RumpledForeskin
ryutaro’s mama
Saurus
Skenzin
Sho Nuff
sirris
Sjoerd
Son of Godzilla
Speculawyer
Speevy
Spencerr x 4
Stoney Mason
Suikguy*
Surfheart
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Tabris
The Faceless Master* (self-repair)
TheWolf
Trmas
Uncle
unomas
VALIS x 2
Vark
VibratingDonkey
Viddie
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
X360FanBoyLOL
Zen

Holy mother ****ing shitcakes.

:lol at all the xbots arguing that less than 1% of launch 360s were defective. Gaf doesn't have nearly 12,800 active members.

Dave Long

Banned
I almost hate to post because I'm sure it'll jinx me but so far the system I got back from them after returning the first one for repair is working correctly. It definitely runs cooler than the original one I had, too.

It's also a refurb. I went from an October 2005 build date to November 2005. Thankfully I was able to keep my hard drive so didn't lose anything.

I'm almost afraid to turn it on, though, given what happened to the last one. How asinine is that? They've put the fear of system death into me so badly that I don't want to play it so that it's still working, but if I don't play it what's the point of owning it anymore? *sigh*

maxmars

Dave Long said:
I'm almost afraid to turn it on, though, given what happened to the last one. How asinine is that? They've put the fear of system death into me so badly that I don't want to play it so that it's still working, but if I don't play it what's the point of owning it anymore? *sigh*

The Schroedinger's xbox360, eh?

Anyway, I have checked that no one with a nick beginning with H or Y had their x360 crap on them, so perhaps you could try changing your handle to Yave Hong..

I'm sorry that's the best I can do to cheer you people up.. I really feel for you, as I had broken electronics a couple of times (a C=64, an Amiga and a PC) and it's been a PITA.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sh0k said:
I just started having problems with my launch 360, it started freezing while playing games. Yesterday it happened twice while playing NFS:MW and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I have a 1 year replacement warranty with CompUSA, supposedly they will replace the system with a new one in the case there is any problems.

My question is if I replace my 360, should I keep my original Hard Drive and swap it with the new one, are all my saves going to be deleted or they are kept with my gamer tag ?

Keep the HDD (obviously). Slap it on the new one and it'll work exactly as it did before.

PocketMidget said:
so is it safe to buy a 360 yet?

Nope. Unless you get one w/ a warranty. I'm under the impression that all 360s will fail at some point. It's just a matter of when. The less you play it, the longer it'll last.

How stoopid is that?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This is stupid. I really want to play Gears of War, but there's no way in hell I'm dealing with this hassle. Same goes for the PS3. Ridiculous! >:|

DaCocoBrova

I've said this numerous times... SELL IT AS-IS!

Get the cash, buy another, but this time w/ a warranty. If you have morals, trade it in. You get over $200 store credit. Put $100 for a fresh one w/ a warrantly.

I don't see why people bother going through MS to get their broken 360 replaced...only to have the replaced one die soon after.

We should sue.

Mine died a month or so ago... I thought ahead and didn't want to be SOL when Gears hit. If my 360 so much as looks at me the wrong way, I'm packing the bitch up and getting a fresh one.

Reave

DaCocoBrova said:

Get the cash, buy another, but this time w/ a warranty. If you have morals, trade it in. You get over $200 store credit. Put $100 for a fresh one w/ a warrantly.

Did you get that trade in value info from EB/GS? I called them earlier and they said that with a wireless controller packed, I'd only get $180. I almost dropped the phone... but you're saying "over $200."

Kingpen

DaCocoBrova said:

I don't see why people bother going through MS to get their broken 360 replaced...only to have the replaced one die soon after.

We should sue.

Mine died a month or so ago... I thought ahead and didn't want to be SOL when Gears hit. If my 360 so much as looks at me the wrong way, I'm packing the bitch up and getting a fresh one.

Hey DaCoco... Is the 200 that you get for the 360 the Core version (meaning the premium with the gutted harddrive)?

Mine just gave me the 3 lights today, after a year of good treatment. It still works, but I am wondering if it is a matter of time. I think I would rather eat the 100 buck cost to have a brick and morter store give me a new system the day it craps out then get someone else's garbage.....

Lo-Volt

Kingpen said:
Mine just gave me the 3 lights today, after a year of good treatment. It still works, but I am wondering if it is a matter of time.

If you got the ring of death, wonder no more. It's sooner rather than later. Welcome to the fold.

Dave Long

Banned
As long as MS is repairing launch-era units for free, they can keep sending me systems made in 2005. I'll take the free repair every time.

Reave

Dave Long said:
As long as MS is repairing launch-era units for free, they can keep sending me systems made in 2005. I'll take the free repair every time.

Free free free... but you'll be without a working Xbox 360 for months.

Birbo

Well, add me to the list. My launch system that I finally got in December stopped working. Weirdest thing too, audio still worked but the screen went totally black (not a BSOD). Thought maybe it was just the cable, so I picked up a new one which fixed it for a couple of minutes, then the same thing happened. Just sent it off this morning for repairs (still under the launch warranty).

The truly weird part is that it decided to stop working on the day I brought home and hooked up my first PS2. Never had one and just picked one up off of craigslist for cheap. My wife asked if it was possible that the PS2 gave a virus to my 360. I laughed, but then I glared at it out of the corner of my eye.

Insult to injury: Got a recored conformation message from Gamestop tonight saying my copy of Gears of War would be ready for pick-up tomorrow. Bastards.

JuanMR2

adamsappel said:
Huge List

I’m reposting this list as it’s getting harder to find back there. That's 132 dead machines plus 12 on life support (those are marked with an asterisk). Any incorrect info, let me know.

Mine should be JuanMR2 x2.

op_ivy

to really get the point accross, that list should account for those of us with multiple failures :/

Demigod Mac

Is anyone's 360 doing this?

Occasionally, mine will stutter for a second. The entire screen spazzes out and jitters, but only for a second. Then the game goes back to normal. Happens rarely, probably every 30 mins or so.

op_ivy

Demigod Mac said:
Is anyone's 360 doing this?

Occasionally, mine will stutter for a second. The entire screen spazzes out and jitters, but only for a second. Then the game goes back to normal. Happens rarely, probably every 30 mins or so.

stutters? could be a faulty connection to your set. i had the component pack for the old xbox and something was shitty about that and i'd have the picture whig out a bit every now and then. i could fix it by just kind of messing with the connections into the black box on the cable...

if your talking more along the lines of actual graphical errors, like weird patterns or polys stretching out of control, your gpu is overheating and your console is on its last breathe

Demigod Mac

It's like the framerate goes down to 5, repeats the picture over and over at rapid speed, and the sound buzzes a bit. It only lasts for 1-2 seconds before it goes back to normal. I don't see any weird texture/geometry issues. (I'm playing on a CRT in 1080i). I'll try reconnecting the cables to see if that solves it.

rs7k

rs7k said:
I wouldn't say mine's on life support. Graphics were very glitchy for about a day, but it hasn't done it in more than a week and I'm playing my 360 more now than I have in the past 2 months without any crashes.

Maybe I just broke it in :S

Nevermind what I said, glitches are just reappearing now and not just on one game. It better hold up because I'm getting Gears of War tomorrow.

rs7k said:
Nevermind what I said, glitches are just reappearing now and not just on one game. It better hold up because I'm getting Gears of War tomorrow.
Sounds like it's probably toast unfortunately, just a matter of when, both times mine broke, I would start getting freeze ups on every game and it would just continue to get worse.

Reave

Screw it. I'm going to trade in the halfway ****ed up 360 and get a core. I'm not going to wait another two weeks to only be put right back in the same situation.

My first 360 lasted 2 weeks. My second one a month and half, my third was free but died when my kid brother put grilled cheese in it, and my forth one is the best but it runs really loud.

Both my 360 and my brother's one died last week (three rings of death).

I tryed to ressurrect both since we live in Brazil and have no way to call MS.

Both display similary problems (freezing in games, then after a while the 3 rings, and back to freezing and so on).

I managed to fix mine, but up to now my brother's one is still malfunctioning.

There is a different between our problems however, and I will like to share our experience to everyone who are in the same situation:

- Mine freezes only in game, not in dashboard, after a few minutes playing. When freezing, the game stops in the last displayed frame, without any graphical errors.

- My brother's one freezes a lot, ingame, at dashboard, etc. And with graphical errors (artefacts) in the last frame.

I tried to warm up the memories of both consoles (the hot air gun method) although only with a low temperature hair dryer (will buy a hot gun later). Nothing worked.

I discover that my 360 was probably having grounding issues, removing the GPU and CPU coolers, carefully putting everything back, solve the problem. The screws are very sensitive.

If your 360 is freezing without graphical errors I do recommend to you disassembly it, clean all contacts, and carefully remount the coolers, specially the CPU one.

LakeEarth

Mine is still fine, but sometimes when I turn it on I don't get a picture, just sound. I reset the system and its fine. Its happened twice on me now. Strange, might just be the wires.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
adamsappel said:
(names)

I’m reposting this list as it’s getting harder to find back there. That's 132 dead machines plus 12 on life support (those are marked with an asterisk). Any incorrect info, let me know.

mine died a LONG time ago. Never posted about it in this thread, but I certainly bitched about it at the time. You can add my name to the list too.

DaCocoBrova

Mine is still fine, but sometimes when I turn it on I don't get a picture, just sound. I reset the system and its fine. Its happened twice on me now. Strange, might just be the wires.

That's a new one...

I wonder how many 360s Gears is gonna kill off?

Damn.

My 360 is dead, dead, dead. Freezes up consistently after about 1 minute.

I've been trying to set up a repair authorization with Microsoft since this morning. Their computers wont let them file the order. This crap is killing me, but I suppose I was finally due for some bad console luck(my launch PS2 still works after all these years). Double bad luck, since it happens just as GoW comes out.

manngc

That list is freakin embarrassing! I mean come on! And it seems to grow at the very least on a weekly basis! It'll be interesting to track this for the PS3 as well. :)

Top Bottom