• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone on PS3. Killzone: Shadow Fall. A quick comparison

ibpNePYu71J3zd.png

The guys zooming into the tiny city block far far away to "demonstrate" that the game isn't great looking are just flat out trolling

imlG7DfqC1Iq.png

looks great mannnn

Here you go:

I think Killzone looks better than Crysis 3 overall, but it isn't the huge leap some people claimed it was. Someone even said C3 looks like a gameboy game in comparison.

I think the texture detail, facial features, and gun geometry is a bit higher in crysis. But the post processing use in the killzone trailer looks freaking fantastic. I love that they maintain near weapon depth of field... Crysis 3 only does on its High Setting.

I am excited to see what GG does with this product... even if the gameplay looked a little stale at some parts.

The biggest thing I am curious about actually is if we plays a helghan...

BTW, both games use SSR and even have the same SSR problems. You can see it in the killzone trailer (happens in crysis 3 also) when he is by the set of stairs and he tosses the grenade. As he gets closer... his gun reflects in the stiarwell even though it obviously should not. Awesome to notice that I think... consoles are starting to get some stuff which I imagined really only on PCs. Gratz!

Waaghals

Are you seriously comparing those two games in thumbnail and gif-form?

That's completely pointless.

Killzone 3, while being one of the best looking games currently released has relatively low resolution textures, and massively downresed effects and the like. None of this would be visible in small thumbnails and gifs. Which is why such games look so fantastic in gif-form.

Killzone SF up the quality of all this, but you wouldn't know because in your comparison all the images are to small for us to tell.

So many jaggies

I agree that there needs to be some additional or better AA. The jaggies cause all these shimmering lines in motion. especially in the cityscape. Characters look clean in motion.
But there is time, an extra 4 gigs of Ram, and there will be optimisation at the very end.

Are you seriously comparing those two games in thumbnail and gif-form?

That's completely pointless.

Killzone 3, while being one of the best looking games currently released has relatively low resolution textures, and massively downresed effects and the like. None of this would be visible in small thumbnails and gifs. Which is why such games look so fantastic in gif-form.

Killzone SF up the quality of all this, but you wouldn't know because in your comparison all the images are to small for us to tell.

open images in tab and tab between them if you really want to look over them.

newKZ looks pretty bloody amazing. Anyone trying to say its not = delusional

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Exactly. Ive been playing C3 maxed @1080p between 50-70 fps. Thats why I'm really not impressed with KZ.
What the hell are you running?!

I just switched to a GTX680 and am using an i5-3570k @ 4.5 Ghz and Very High absolutely destroys my framerate at points. The very first scene on the tanker actually drops below 30 fps on that setup. I cannot image seeing 60 fps in that scene. Did you get your hands on a Titan already?

Could just be (most likely) the base Killzone 2/3 engine. It looks awesome, no doubt. Once Guerrilla Gods make a dedicated engine for PS4, it will look even more awesome!

i just see an insane amount of geometry, texture detail, etc. Really not sure what you mean.
Maybe beacuse it's in alpha stage?
The only thing not that impressive thus far are the animations and looks (faces, hair) of some of the NPCs running around.

What makes you say that?

I just think there's a possibility that development was shifted from PS3 to PS4 in the earlier stages of development, which would mean that it's using the same engine KZ3 was (most likely tweaked to some degree).

I realise the game is very incomplete in its current state, but some of the textures and modelling don't look like anything that couldn't be achieved this generation.

Saying that, the same is 1080p, full of spiffy effects and the rope-hanging scene looks fantastic.

I really wish Sony went with GG's fantasy IP for this event instead of Killzone. I like the franchise (though, does anyone else prefer dark, dreary Killzone?) and the visuals were incredible, but honestly I wasn't gripped by it. I can understand the lack of hype around it as of right now.

Scrabble

Another comparison from reddit:

Just look at the textures quality between KZ3 and KZ:SF, if this is not a generation leap then I don't know what it's.

And it's staggering just how good the new killzone already looks. Are people forgetting this is a launch game on a console due for the end of the year? I remember how absolute shitty 360 games at e3 05 looked, and it wasn't until right at launch where they actually looked presentable, and even then they weren't mind blowing or anything. Looked like xbox games, but now in hd. Of course as the generation went on we went from this

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2285/771_0087.jpg

to this

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/xbox360/halo_4/screens/halo_4_26.jpg

or this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xWSP-es2Xm8/UFOcRupOJpI/AAAAAAAABEY/bfMFyFh-djc/s1600/07.jpg

to this

http://www.gamefaction.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/002uvk.jpg

and this
http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/BeyondTwoSouls/BEYOND_SCREEN_10.jpg

I mean come on guys this didn't happen this long ago, and most of you have already forgotten how much further, visually, games can look as the generation goes on, or how bad this current generation looked for quite a long time before we actually got Gears of War, Uncharted 2, MGS4 etc.

I thought the most impressive stuff was when the character was on the ground in the chaos after the explosion. Lots of characters on screen civilians/military/enemies with shit loads of particle effects post explosion. Looked great. It's impressive for a launch title.

I also like that GG is playing with different colours this time around. Vibrant is good!

And it's staggering just how good the new killzone already looks. Are people forgetting this is a launch game on a console due for the end of the year? I remember how absolute shitty 360 games at e3 05 looked, and it wasn't until right at launch where they actually looked presentable, and even then they weren't mind blowing or anything. Looked like xbox games, but now in hd. Of course as the generation went on we went from this

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/2285/771_0087.jpg

to this

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/xbox360/halo_4/screens/halo_4_26.jpg

or this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xWSP-es2Xm8/UFOcRupOJpI/AAAAAAAABEY/bfMFyFh-djc/s1600/07.jpg

to this

http://www.gamefaction.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/002uvk.jpg

and this
http://firsthour.net/screenshots/god-of-war-3/god-of-war-3-kratos-closeup.jpg

I mean come on guys this didn't happen this long ago, and most of you have already forgotten how much further, visually, games can look as the generation goes, or how bad this current generation looked for quite a long time before we actually got Gears of War, Uncharted 2, MGS4 etc.

I think this needs to be put in its own post and kept at the top of the forum for about a year.

I think graphics-GAF need to take into consideration that we're now at the point were Crysis / Killzone genuinely don't impress a lot of people because fidelity is now rich enough that you're dealing with diminishing returns. I wasn't that impressed with Shadowfall until the escape, then it looked impressive. But I don't respond to verisimilitude.

I do wish it was just called Shadowfall and the other one Second Son. The IPs are incredibly weak in both cases and the art design could have used some more freedom to mix things up.

xandaca

You really are taking this to heart. It's obvious there is a great leap in graphics, however it doesn't look as big as SD -> HD.

Precisely. It'd be ridiculous to pretend there isn't a difference, but it's not an enormous one. Besides, these are only launch titles, so games around a year after the console's release should widen the gap. Whether it will ever be as big as the difference between each previous generation (which themselves were getting smaller) remains to be seen.

x-Lundz-x

I don't think people are denying that it's an improvement over the current generation (it is), but I've watched the footage in HD (and on Fallon) and, disregarding things like art style and setting, I think Crysis 3 looks better. That put a damper on the reveal for me personally.

You are talking about Crysis 3 on PC right?

I think a lot of people claiming that Shadowfall isn't a next-gen leap were judging it based on the stream they were watching at the reveal...watch the uncompressed press trailer people.....

zoukka

I think a lot of people claiming that Shadowfall isn't a next-gen leap were judging it based on the stream they were watching at the reveal...watch the uncompressed press trailer people.....

Again the thread is about comparing Killzone PS3 and PS4 versions. Not a debate whether the new Killzone is an improvement or not. Everyone knows it pushes a lot more than what can be done with last gen machines.

Harlock

More than before, the particles effects and light will make a lot of difference. Screenshot not the best way to do comparison.

beast786

Diminishing returns.

Those that are less invested and less knowledgeable about a subject matter will percieve less difference.

Which unfortunately for the lay person isn't that important.

I am sure that is what people said when when MGS3 game out on ps2.

Well I'm a devout PC gamer and I've yet to see an explosion effect anything like as impressive as what I saw in the KZ demo..and the distance to which the game world was rendered and in such detail was also a league above anything on the PC.

I'm not saying the PC cant do it, just there are no dev's out there bothering, now that 8GB will become an industry standard over the next 3 or 4 years, PC gaming isn't going to get the shitty end of the deal (hopefully)

Alienous

I think the major jump between PS2 and PS3 didn't really have to do with graphics, as much as it was to do with resolution.

If you take some PS2 games, and turn them HD, they look amazing (SOTC, God of War 2) and are about as far behind the PS3 as the PS3 is behind the PS4.

velociraptor

Killzone 3 looks fantastic, but it's so obvious that the levels are so small. None of them have the same breadth and scale what we have seen in KZSF.

I've got Resident Evil 6 on the PS3. It looks good, but it has some flaws. i.e. 720p, no AA, no AF. I've just downloaded the benchmark demo on the PC. Tested it at 1080p. Blew me away.

Top Bottom