• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we want out of the next 3D Mario game for the Wii U?

FlyFaster

Sorry guys I just wasn't feeling the galaxy soundtracks. Don't know what it is but I might have to chalk it up to nostalgia a little bit for sm64.

Oh man, the sound track for Galaxy 1 really inspired me. The first level really set the tone and I felt like an epic adventure was coming... and it did!

Something entirely new. I'll say, though, that I think the Galaxy games hit the perfect balance of open and linear. I hope the next 3D Mario strikes that same balance.

Agreed. While I much prefer 2D Mario's to 3D, I still would like to see Nintendo go in a completely different direction from Galaxy. I am sure it will look great but I just really want Nintendo to push the boundaries and to shock us.

New enemies and characters. I was glad when they've finally went back to the more classic style in NSMB (and Koopa Kids etc in the sequel), but now I'm kinda getting tired of it.

I wouldn't mind if they mix 64 and Galaxy style. I also love me some good hub worlds with neat secrets. The one in Galaxy was redundant, but the castle from 64 is still amazing.

Skyzard

Banned
Save the Wii U:

Riding Yoshi while he is on roller-skates and with the tongue attacks.

Use ice upgrade in sand levels to create speedy path and freeze enemies.

Mario and Peach acrobatic co-op combat-hand in hand moves, swinging and launching.

Summoning a swarm of Toads to ride, shield you and launch.

Inside pipe riding sections sort of like the water parts in Uncharted.

Driving your go-kart and motorbike around and mario on stilts plus hang glider.

Give Yoshi wings and fire breath through upgrades to have a Yoshi dragon to ride.

Mushroom upgrades behind age-locked games that mess with the visuals and mario's animation.

Riding the cloud through a storm and avoiding enemies.

Invincibility lets you move through the world like Kat in Gravity Rush.

Give Mario a sword, shield and armour. Create a class like Warrior, Wizard, Thief or Cleric. Make the game into a realistic first person perspective and have a huge world to explore and loads of missions to do, cities, towns and dungeons to clear. And bung in a few dragons, orcs, trolls etc with Bowser being the big baddie at the end to rescue Princess Peach (who of course will be super hot and wearing very little). Them piranha plant thingies and those mushroom thingummybobs would look pretty scary in realistic-o-vision...and you could harvest their dead bodyparts to make potions if you manage to find or buy a pestle and mortar.

They could call it Super Mario Scrolls.

*Goes for a lie down*

I did start this by having a laugh but now I'm thinking about it a Super Mario meets Elder Scrolls game could be pretty cool if it's dark enough lol.

Cross-post:

Having 64/Sunshine open type levels connected by Galaxy/2D Mario linear levels would be ideal for me. You work your way through a linear level, grab a star, and hop off a cliff to fall into an open level. These areas have 3-4 stars (maybe more). Earning stars in these levels opens branching paths containing more linear levels. Rinse and repeat, and you've got the main level progression. Both the linear and open areas would contain hidden stars/warps that open up new paths. These could also have a complete change in artstyle just to freshen things up.

After getting a star in an open level, you also have the option of going back to the "hub" world. This would be Toad Town or something similar. Here you can buy items, unlock music, artwork (maybe even keys to open up more areas? That may be pushing it). You can also warp to any of the open areas you've got a star in and go from there.

This is just something I personally think would work out well, I'm up for anything EADT throws at us.

The more detailed stuff I'd be fine without. What I really want is more open levels connected by linear levels with branching path progression and no level select screens.

A balance between 64 and G2. Nothing like Sunshine please. The fate of my Wii U purchase depends on it.

F9wWM3q.png

This is what you wanted, isn't it?

Taker666

I loved the Galaxy games but I think now is the time to take it back to the ground ..save a Galaxy style game for a few more years otherwise it could get too samey.

I'd like a more fully realised Mushroom Kingdom..and a style more similar to Mario 64.

I quite like the idea of bringing a bit of time travelling into it. Prehistoric times (T-REX Bowser), medieval times (Yoshi jousting) , the future (Mario on a hoverboard) etc. It would allow for a wider visual range and a bit more of a refresh to known locations/characters.

ASIS

As many people said, something new.

No Galaxy 3 please, unless its a substantial improvement over 2, which is kind of impossible.

FloatOn

I may be alone in this but I think this being the first hd Nintendo console it would be great if they went the sonic generations route and do a "best of" all the Mario games through the eras. Call it Super Mario Chronicle. The last set of stages should serve as the introduction of the brand new Mario game which would come out some time later.

I'd be perfectly fine with SMUniverse being essentially SMG3, there's plenty of untapped potential in that formula. It must be very creatively liberating designing these games. But I'm ready for something structured like Mario 64 again, something with more exploration. Hell they could even just make a simple, linear game like 3Dland and I'd be all over it. Whatever they do, I'll be getting a Wii U the day that game drops.

Axspell

Neo Member
I hope that whatever it is, it gets rid of the star system at last and does something a bit different. I'm sure there are ways to shake up that formula. :)

NotLiquid

Hmm, choices, choices.

Up until now I've always maintained a firm will that I want a return to the Super Mario 64 formula. That was one of the greats, you could mostly explore the levels in any way you wanted to, return eventually with new power ups, find secrets in the hub world and go nuts with everything the game had to offer. Partially I'd love this because it brings back the exploration aspect and being able to see a level as a huge playground. Bob-Omb Battlefield is still one of the greatest Mario opening levels I've ever played, and if nothing else I just want to be able to soar with the wing cap again in a 3D environment with proper physics; not that shitty red star that only works in the Galaxy hub world.

I still want to see a game like that. But a lot of posts here make some compelling counter-arguments to it, and if anything I'd like some compromises here and there.

But if they are levels that lead to a singular goal, they have to be big. Properly fleshed out. Allow players multiple paths or possibilities of getting across the level, be they short cuts, higher paths or otherwise.

Do not make them Galaxy styled. I'm probably one of the few people who thought this once playing it but I did not dig Galaxy much at all. Most open worlds were small even in comparison to Super Mario Sunshine, and the levels that were linear were shallow and one-note. They offered challenge but they were rather lacking in substance for me. After Super Mario 64 managed to get away with the fact that the levels were all basically boxed in where you could see past the invisible walls, Galaxy pretty much just says "fuck it" and has all the levels suspended in mid-air composed by blocks or paths forming roads. Despite the game looking beautiful I always found it lazy, and it meant that the game had to be scripted in it's design. That kind of level design was suited better for the likes of Super Mario 3D Land, which I still think has more fun level design than Galaxy does.

Setting? Hell go nuts, but make it feel like it's brand new. I'd love a world that goes the ways of Paper Mario 2, or Super Mario World. Make the player feel part of something big, don't just enclose them in an empty space. Games like Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie does this well, it makes the levels and worlds feel big. You'd have mountains, forests or such towering over you, and large pathways to explore. I'd love that kind of feeling in a 3D Mario.

As for the soundtrack? Again, look to Paper Mario 2 as reference. Feels adventurous, catchy and exciting. Groovy and modern. Doesn't need orchestra to back things up, and no wacky "bah's" and such. A soundtrack can feel grand without them instrumental production values.

And bring back the jump dive.

I hope that whatever it is, it gets rid of the star system at last and does something a bit different. I'm sure there are ways to shake up that formula. :)

How about ditching the level-based progression entirely? The first Jak game was great and I think a new Mario could be well suited for this.

Axspell

Neo Member
How about ditching the level-based progression entirely? The first Jak game was great and I think a new Mario could be well suited for this.

Heck yeah. I was gonna mention Jak but I forgot exactly how it segmented its levels. That's one of my favourite platformers so I'd be all for it.

thefro

Miyamoto would have to actually let them put a story in the game for that to work (Koizumi has written some good ones, i.e. Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask).

Rehashing Mario 64 from a level design standpoint would be a step backwards (although I understand people want a big hub area they can really mess around in).

Hmm, I wish they would reuse the tropical island setting from Sunshine. Just no voice acting, and no FLUDD device that trivializes platforming. OR maybe have a FLUDD device but have it appear in less levels. But goddamn the water and sunshine on Delfino gave it a good atmosphere.

Alternate universe Mario with a different, fresh take on mechanics, how Mario 'handles', setting and characters. Preferably dark & twisted (not talking about mature, guns or gore) while still appealing to kids.

Or SM64 2.

Wow those might be the most unappealing pictures ever.

Wow those might be the most unappealing pictures ever.

I don't want a game that resembles that art, but it's the closest I can find on the internet that would fit my idea of an alternate universe SMB game. I do kinda prefer that Peach over the current one though.

Eric C

Not open-world. Concise, sharp platforming Mario > big, exploration-encouraged Mario(see: SMB3 > SMW, SMG2 > SM64)
THIS

What *I* want is more Galaxy and 3D Land, and not Sunshine and 64.

I enjoy Mario games when they are mostly go from A->B and you got obstacles in front of you, that to me is classic Mario, its all i want.

I do not want to explore the world he is in, i do not care about the Mushroom Kingdom or any of its inhabitants, do not want to run around gathering collectables. Open world levels in platformers just do not work for me, just straight up tightly designed levels is all i want

AND THIS

I thought I didn't like 3D platformers before I played the Galaxy games.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I just want a cool new theme.

Form example:

Super Mario Summit - Takes place in ski resort, mirroring the Sunshine setup.

Super Mario Circus - Takes place within a traveling circus/carnival.

I want a daydreaming like experience. A bit like galaxy... but without being galaxy.

To be honest I would love a Mario galaxy trilogy in HD first.

PowderedToast

Alternate universe Mario with a different, fresh take on mechanics, how Mario 'handles', setting and characters. Preferably dark & twisted (not talking about mature, guns or gore) while still appealing to kids.

Or SM64 2.

kill me now

mario is like the last beacon of unbridled happiness in gaming, i hope the flame never goes out

How would you guys feel about the inclusion of characters like Wario, Waluigi, and Daisy? Or would you prefer a more narrow scope of characters?

orioto

Good Art™
Simple and really intuitive, focused on running and jumping, with incredible ergonomics and awesome feel. Lots of background interactions, influencing the way we move.

Mario should be about running and jumping, always! Making that more fun, more accurate, intuitive.. is how a Mario should set the bar in videogames, like Mario64 did in 96.

Artistically, naive, less narrative, more abstract and sweet, yet more alive, organic, credible...

That's my next gen Mario.

Meelow

Banned

Or SM64 2.

A dark twisted Mario would be interesting, something like the old Epic Mickey concept art but just Mario's version of it.

What about a Mario where things are destructible? You would not only have to destroy things, but you use the falling pieces as platforms with good timing. Large scale, fun looking collapses. Ones where you see it and immediate get ideas about how to use them to reach new places. Of course not all levels would be like this, and there would be a big variety of how things fell apart and what you did with the pieces. Of course, the levels after you complete the game would be partially insane. Sand castles blowing away as you traverse them. Lego style levels falling apart. Giant glaciers melting. Reverse levels where things start off broken and are built. That sort of stuff.

The e3 trailer would be full of high level type techniques that really looked awesome while showing off the new mechanics well.

Camera work will need to be on point though.

Does it feel like asking too much if I want them to go in an unexpected direction and blow my mind all over again like they did with Mario 64 and the Galaxy games?

Cwarrior

+bring back mario more complex move set like mario 64(his move set was fun to fool around with in the game, it doesn't have to be like it).

+make it harder both platforms, enemies and boss.

-open world like 64 it's fun to havr a playground to fool around in,it's better then level select stuff in nsmb.

freefornow

Gold Member
Grand Theft Mario.
Peaches as hooker that needs rescuing from gangland boss Bowser.

But really, i want worlds like Sunshine again. The modular worlds of the Galaxy series, while novel, annoyed me in the end.

Top Bottom