• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we want out of the next 3D Mario game for the Wii U?

KiN0

I wanted a Super Mario:Dream where you go into the subconscious of all the Mario character staples and explore their dreamscape. This is sort of being realized with ML dream team but I'd love to see it on a huge scale with intense platforming.

antispin

Give Mario a sword, shield and armour. Create a class like Warrior, Wizard, Thief or Cleric. Make the game into a realistic first person perspective and have a huge world to explore and loads of missions to do, cities, towns and dungeons to clear. And bung in a few dragons, orcs, trolls etc with Bowser being the big baddie at the end to rescue Princess Peach (who of course will be super hot and wearing very little). Them piranha plant thingies and those mushroom thingummybobs would look pretty scary in realistic-o-vision...and you could harvest their dead bodyparts to make potions if you manage to find or buy a pestle and mortar.

They could call it Super Mario Scrolls.

*Goes for a lie down*

I did start this by having a laugh but now I'm thinking about it a Super Mario meets Elder Scrolls game could be pretty cool if it's dark enough lol.

I... Would buy this /ashamed

serplux

I don't know. They've always been really innovative with 3D Mario, so I'd like them to keep doing what they're doing. I would like a chance at co-op if possible, but just keep innovating and I'll always love it.

PusherT

I hope the Wii U Mario game incorporate a tool again maybe a "new" take on the F.L.O.O.D water pack from Sunshine. I also want it set in non Mushroom Kingdom with an expand take on the Delfino Square in Sunshine. Please take it more in a path that Super Mario Sunshine blazed. Please Nintendo.

I don't know. They've always been really innovative with 3D Mario, so I'd like them to keep doing what they're doing. I would like a chance at co-op if possible, but just keep innovating and I'll always love it.

Do you ever fear that they may take the New Super Mario Bros. route and release practically the same game over and over? I doubt that'll happen and I really hope it doesn't. The 3D Mario series is extremely important to me. They have yet to disappointment me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted a Super Mario:Dream where you go into the subconscious of all the Mario character staples and explore their dreamscape. This is sort of being realized with ML dream team but I'd love to see it on a huge scale with intense platforming.
As long as it doesn't take itself too seriously, that'd be awesome.

I'd like another aventure hybrid in the vein of Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. Open levels and a big focus on exploration. I love the more linear Galaxy games, but I prefer the older model. Somehow, I think that the more direct gameplay of Galaxy would fit the Donkey Kong franchise more.

If you look at the dolphin thread you can see straight away how destructive jaggies are to graphics. Unimmersive murderers of artwork.

So true, it completely ruins any wholesomeness to the visual experience imo. Back in the day, PS games were very often graphically "superior" to N64 games (more polys, better textures), but they always looked worse because of the jagged edges. When PS3 and 360 games actually brought back jaggies I was like WTF?? I can understand 17 years ago, but today that's just biting off more than you can chew.

The 3DS pulls the rug from under its own tech with the jaggies. It's baffling to me that Nintendo doesn't care. Listen... when something is in 3D it doesn't have jaggies, period! That's a failed illusion, it's like a magician that fumbles with the props. The inability to render 3D without looking like crap makes me wonder why on earth they don't make smooth sprite based games for the 3DS, because that actually looks gorgeous in comparison!

edit: woops, forgot the topic. I trust whatever Koizumi does

The lack of anti-aliasing, indeed, kills what could be beautiful artwork. Nonetheless, I expect the new 3D Mario to look beautiful. Galaxy looked amazing so to not follow suit wouldn't make sense.

Sorry to bump but I thought of a (potentially) cool idea if they ever decide to make a direct sequel to Mario 64. Bowser gets control of the 3 power caps and you have to fight a winged metal Bowser who can become invisible for short bursts as the final boss. Even if it's not a 64 sequel it would still be a great nod and be pretty fun.

hatchx

Banned
I hope the Wii U Mario game incorporate a tool again maybe a "new" take on the F.L.O.O.D water pack from Sunshine. I also want it set in non Mushroom Kingdom with an expand take on the Delfino Square in Sunshine. Please take it more in a path that Super Mario Sunshine blazed. Please Nintendo.

Naw.

BD1

Banned
I'd like to see a combination of all the 3D games, really.

-First run in every level is to the flag pole a'la 3D Land.

-Subsequent runs in every level are for more open world objective based for stars/shines.

-Comet Medals hidden in each stage.

-"Prankster" redux levels.

I am more inclined to see the streamlined "over world" style from Galaxy 2, but a Hub could be fun again, as long as it's more Peach's Castle and less Delphino/Galaxy 1.

NMFried

Give me a 3D Mario game with the hub world of Sunshine where I can interact with NPCs, the level design and scope of Mario Galaxy, and weave a little bit of the charm and surrealism of 64, and there's your perfect combination.

Oh, and bring Wart back. He was cool.

I've thought of a level progression system that I think would balance open and linear gameplay. It's not boring stretches of nothingness like a lot of people associate the term open world with, but you still have freedom.

There are no level select screens, just open levels (64/Sunshine) connected by linear levels (Galaxy/2D Mario). You start each world by beating a linear level, grab the star, hop off a cliff (or whatever level transition would be best) and land in an open level. Once you meet a requirement of the open level - whether it be collecting a certain amount of stars, beating a boss, triggering something in the environment, or simply finding a hidden area - different paths open up leading to more linear levels. Rinse, repeat, and add an area boss and you have the main level progression system. In addition to the basic system, collecting a certain amount of stars or activating something in the environment could cause a boss to appear in an area you've been to. Beating it would open another path branch. Hidden areas throughout the world contain more focused platforming challenges (2D and 3D) to get you extra stars and unlock more sections of the map.

"Hub" area is Toad Town where you can fast travel to any open level that you have completed in order to unlock other path branches. This area will also serve as a means of progressing the plot (which should still be nonexistent) in a similar way to TTYD and Super Paper Mario. Challenges return from NSMBU and are interconnected with the main world. Different characters in Toad Town will give you these challenges and the area you have to complete them in. Stars, secrets and bosses could also appear here.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this for how bad my ideas probably are. >_>

Roo

Hopefully this, but I think Nintendo will opt for 720p at 60fps (which I'm fine with).

I just hope they don't go over the top with bloom.

Seriously... this is my biggest concern.
What Aonuma did with WWHD has me worried about how Nintendo is handling the new (at least for them) lighting techniques.

Darryl

Banned
Give me a 3D Mario game with the hub world of Sunshine where I can interact with NPCs, the level design and scope of Mario Galaxy, and weave a little bit of the charm and surrealism of 64, and there's your perfect combination.

Oh, and bring Wart back. He was cool.

hub world, theme and level structure of sunshine. charm from galaxy. pacing from mario 64.

Seriously... this is my biggest concern.
What Aonuma did with WWHD has me worried about how Nintendo is handling the new (at least for them) lighting techniques.

they're gonna abuse bloom. just accept it and move on so you're free of disappointment come E3

KevinCow

Banned
I'd kinda like to see an open world Mario. Like... you know how in Sunshine, you can see the some levels from other levels? I've always thought it would be cool if you could just go to those levels.

Same structure as a typical 3D Mario game, witb a certain number of stars in each area. But instead of some sort of hub or level select, you just have a big streaming world.

Imagine climbing to the highest point in the game, jumping off, and just gliding around with the cape.

Super Mario 3 only in 3D. I want all the awesome world maps and secret levels. I want the evil sun back as well.

Have you played Mario 3D Land?

If they go the SM64/Sunshine route then I want each level to be ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE with lots going on.

If they decide to continue on the more streamlined approched they've been doing as of late then I just hope it isn't Galaxy 3. New theme please.

Shiggy

I really hope they'll include some multiplayer mode. It would work damn great with one player using the TV and the other using the game pad. Thus there'd be no camera issues. Of course, online multiplayer would also be a solution but we are talking about Nintendo...

Hermii

They got a lot of presssure to live up to after the galaxy games. What I want is this.

- Beatifull graphics that utilizes every feature of the Wii U.
- Awesome soundtrack. Im sure Yokota wont dissapoint here.
- Novel gameplay elements, like the spherical worlds and gravity play of galaxy. Something that changes the way you play Mario.
- Some second screen use that is actually fun and not tack on, because I really have no idea how a second screen could improve Mario gameplay.

I'm up on something more like a Mario 64 sequel. Many of the levels in Galaxies had the disjointed style because of all the star flying, or they felt smaller because of the spherical nature.

I want some difficulty to it as well. Super Mario 3D land was really fun except for it being way too easy.

watershed

Banned
Something more than Galaxy 3/Universe unless Universe is an all out exploration of Mario's past styles/game entries and full of new, cool concepts.

Basically I don't want a sequel to the galaxy games I want something that felt as fresh as Galaxy the first time I played it.

More classic platforming that requires skill and timing or you fall and die. Like Mario 3D Land, but severely expanded and with a sorta open-worldish hub.

MCN

Banned
I just want Miyamoto to go nuts and do what he wants. I have faith in him to deliver the goods and literally make us all go "wow".

Kokonoe

Banned
I have one simple request for them, and that is that they don't use Galaxy's gravity/walking on sphere platforming.

Mogwai

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of a 3D Mario for the Wii U that has emphasis on real open-world exploration. The Galaxies were awesome in terms of gameplay, but the exploration felt somewhat shallow. There were different planets in the levels, but it didn't really leave room for much exploration. You were guided around with the launch stars all the time.

The Wii U should be able to provide some beautiful environments to explore. A real Mario world would be great. I would be cool with some more traditional platforming/exploration. I want a HD version of the castle in Super Mario 64!

GRW810

I honestly don't know where they can go if they don't continue the Galaxy series. I'm not doubting Nintendo, I just don't have the imagination to conceive an idea. Sending Mario into space allowed for so many new inventive and fun gameplay ideas that rooting him back down to Earth might limit concepts again. I don't know.

I really wouldn't mind Galaxy 3 or something similar if it's just a prettier, HD game that takes advantage of the GamePad.

Red UFO

I'd like to see a combination of all the 3D games, really.

-First run in every level is to the flag pole a'la 3D Land.

-Subsequent runs in every level are for more open world objective based for stars/shines.

-Comet Medals hidden in each stage.

-"Prankster" redux levels.

I am more inclined to see the streamlined "over world" style from Galaxy 2, but a Hub could be fun again, as long as it's more Peach's Castle and less Delphino/Galaxy 1.
This post is good.

Top Bottom