• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Aaron

Na, WoL had some of the best gameplay of any RTS campaign I've ever played.
Trying to finish it up before HotS, this is so true. Every mission has been great (except that lava one), and I like how they handle the upgrades and such between.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/cXskfZO.jpg[/IMG]

THIS is the way it should be. can't believe it took them like 2 years to finally realize and focus in on what's most important for the community.

It's nice to see Blizzard finally catch up with the rest... actually they're not catching up, but its nice to see I guess.

zoukka

I miss ChronicleX and his insanity... would have been epic if he was here for HOTS ^^

He was amazing... some of the best theorycrafts from the guy:

Zealots are a good cost efficient counter against roaches.
Broodlords are the ultimate "harassing" unit.

He called everyone a scrub and when you could watch other peoples game history and build orders, you saw he only cannoned people :|

Wunder

Can't believe I missed 1st page and posting of the OT. Stellar job Corran, can't wait to get my hands on this and get on the ground floor of GAF night. Weeee~

StayDead

He called everyone a scrub and when you could watch other peoples game history and build orders, you saw he only cannoned people :|

Broodlords much like Guardians (if you can get a good position) are actually really good at attacking mineral lines.

You just need deadspace behind the mineral line to make the broodlords safe while doing it.

zoukka

Broodlords much like Guardians (if you can get a good position) are actually really good at attacking mineral lines.

You just need deadspace behind the mineral line to make the broodlords safe while doing it.

Yeah but it's called a siege, not harassing. Tanks are not harassing units, they are also siege units.

This shouldn't need explaining...

fanboi

Banned

Hahahaha yeah.

It was me msv (where the fuck are you?!), Knives I belive and Tlau. He called them all out being scrubs and played against Tlau (which was msv instead playing) and he was killed.

The laughs the laughs.

Aylinato

Yeah but it's called a siege, not harassing. Tanks are not harassing units, they are also siege units.

This shouldn't need explaining...

I wish I could build a broodlord that shoots out banelings like in Dessert strike with the Swarm Guardians. It would be magnificent.

I have it preordered, can't wait. I am not much of a online player for RTS so I will be enjoying the campaign and destroying computer opponents.

Aylinato

I have it preordered, can't wait. I am not much of a online player for RTS so I will be enjoying the campaign and destroying computer opponents.

you should learn how to cannon rush. The best feeling in sc2 is cheesing people and them raging because they died to a cannon rush.

Nate and I within the last week were doing a 2v2, and I wasn't planning on cannon rushing both opponents, just one, but then they decided to wall us in with cannons at the opening of our base(as I had one plyon near their base I decided to just do the same and cannon rushed them)

Another time Rick, Nate, and I were 3v3ing and I cannon rushed a zerg who raged out.

The best one was the time I cannon rushed in 4v4 with Nate, Rick, and Scogoth. Now this wasn't an ordinary cannon rush. I started from one guy in the south and killed three of the opponents before Nate Rick and Scogoth showed up with their armies.

This other time I built a plyon, forge, and cannons in the middle of the enemy base, next to their command center, and I guess they thought I was their ally? lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Okay so last night I decided to boot up SC2 for the first time since probably fall of 2010.

Is there a brief explanation of all these changes? Leveling and all this other stuff I dont remember whatsoever?

Aylinato

Okay so last night I decided to boot up SC2 for the first time since probably fall of 2010.

Is there a brief explanation of all these changes? Leveling and all this other stuff I dont remember whatsoever?

Leveling isn't in yet, that's HoTS and I'm unsure how that works

Workers automatically mine, and you have numbers for how many workers at each base/gases

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EXCITED, OH MY GOD

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I miss ChronicleX and his insanity... would have been epic if he was here for HOTS ^^
You just reminded me about that guy... damn.

Mrbob

From the HoTS beta the leveling just seems to be a nice little meta game. There really isn't much to it. You level up your profile individually for Protoss, Terran, and Zerg with your overall level being a combination of all three. You get small bonuses like new portraits when you get to certain levels.

fatty

OK, I keep reading different viewpoints on how a beginner (someone mentioned "absolute noob") should approach 1v1 and had to chime in here.

If you are a complete beginner, I would recommend playing the single player campaign and just mess around with each race a little. The one that you're the most comfortable with is the one that you should play. At the beginner level each race is going to have their own little knacks so it isn't going to matter what you pick. Just pick one and have fun with it. There isn't any reason why you can't switch races at any point as well. Main thing is to just have fun.

For those of you looking to get better at your 1v1 and or get out of Bronze League:

I would strongly recommend you check out this guide over at teamliquid.net:

Bronze to Masters Guide (by filtersc)

He has developed an excellent guide that will help you be a better player, basically by improving your macro (ability to manage your economy and army) by giving you benchmarks according to your skill level. He breaks down the game and tells you key areas to focus on. After you are able to achieve those targets, he slowly adds additional ones so you can add to your skill set.

I can't recommend this enough. You will improve. You might not be able to deal with the early all-ins, cheeses, and a real early pressure but that will come in time. And he also has replay packs at each level (bronze, silver, gold, etc.) so you can also see how he dealt with certain situations.

Each of the sections of the guide is broken into a certain youtube video, after you have mastered the benchmarks in that video, you move to the next one. Don't move too early, really know that you are hitting those benchmarks consistently. For reference, here are the first three episodes (along with applicable benchmarks) for the Terran and Zerg:

Bronze To Masters Episode 1 - The Basics

Quick Reference Benchmarks
50 Scvs @ 10:00
3:45 Natural Started

Bronze To Masters Episode 2 - Bronze League Demonstration

Bronze To Masters Episode 3 - Building Groups

Quick Reference Benchmarks:
50 Scv's @ 10 minutes
3:45 Natural Started
6:50 Factory Started - Take Third Gas
7:55 Starport Started - Reactor Started on Fact (or techlab for tanks/naked starport vacs)
10 Minute Push Out With 100 Food of Units

Bronze to Masters Zerg Episode 1 - Perfecting the Basics

35 Drones (Including ones in production) @6 minutes
55 Drones (Including ones in production) @8 minutes
10 Combined Queen Energy @10 minutes (After next injects for each queen)

Non Essential Stuff (Don't benchmark this stuff yet, but it will help you execute properly)
14 Pool
15 Hatch
1 Pair of Lings
Quad gas @ 6minutes
Roach Warren @ 7minutes (Or before to block hellions)
Double Evo @ 7minutes (Or before to block hellions)

Bronze to Masters Zerg Episode 2

55 Drones (Including ones in production) @8 minutes

Non Essential Stuff (Don't benchmark this stuff yet, but it will help you execute properly)
14 Pool
15 Hatch
1 Pair of Lings
Quad gas @ 6minutes
Roach Warren @ 7minutes (Or before to block hellions)
Double Evo @ 7minutes (Or before to block hellions)

Bronze to Masters Zerg Episode 3

60 Drones (Including ones in production) @8 minutes
4 Queens @ 6:30
Lair Started, 2 Evo, Roach Warren Starting @ 7:00
150 Food, +1 +1, Roach Speed @ 11:00

Start off just practicing against a very easy computer opponent. Make sure you have a notebook to document your progress when you review the replay to check your benchmarks. When you are consistently hitting every benchmark, jump online to test your skills against human opponents.

You will lose some matches to early pressure and cheese. Don't sweat it. After you've learned basic mechanics, dealing with these other situations will come. If you are still debating a race and do get frustrated with early pressure, I would choose Terran or Protoss over Zerg when using the guide because the concepts will translate over the easiest. That being said, I am Zerg and love this guide, it will just be a bit harder to deal with the earlier pressure because of the timing that you crank out roaches.

Keep in mind, I'm no SC expert but I love the game and I know how much this guide has helped me. I'm getting back into playing 1v1 again and I need to get back to where I was in the guide (which I believe is episode 4 or 5). Just for reference I am currently a high plat/low diamond level player but where I am in the guide in regards to benchmarks I have to check.

If you have any questions, don't hesistate to post in this thread as there are some great people who will help you out. Have a problem in a match and you don't know what you did wrong, send me a replay and I will take a look.

Don't be intimidated playing 1v1, I was at first and you get used to it very quickly. Just get out there and have fun. GG. ( ._ .)

profit

awesome post

This is a great post and I approve of everything it says!
Which reminds me I wanted to try and start a habit for people to upload their games when they have done one, or two or several. That way other people can give tips on the uploaders gameplay and correct them where they made mistakes (even better when you can watch replays with several people!)
It also motivates people to play more and play better, I know doing this helped me improve a ton cause I knew people would be watching my replays later and helped me focus on mistakes they pointed me out!

Yoshichan

HotS is brining the old WoL-players back :D

Aylinato

I'd like to get on that gaf group too...what's this gaf group chat?

Just go to group search, and search for neogaf, it's an open group, so anyone can join.

There is also a clan on NA for GAF called GAF [GAF]

Paches and I are officers for NA clan, if you see either of us on we can invite you

I am so pumped for this game. I loved WoL's campaign, arcade games and custom games vs AI, but I think I'm finally ready to get into competitive multiplayer.

That said, I still love me some Squadron TD/Space Battle and am happy to constantly see editor improvements in every major patch.

I will be picking up the game for sure but not sure if I'll be able to get into the multiplayer much. It's been a year since I started playing Dota2 and I don't see myself turning back. However I'm SUPER excited about all the changes and will be eager to start watching matches again.

fatty

This is a great post and I approve of everything it says!
Which reminds me I wanted to try and start a habit for people to upload their games when they have done one, or two or several. That way other people can give tips on the uploaders gameplay and correct them where they made mistakes (even better when you can watch replays with several people!)
It also motivates people to play more and play better, I know doing this helped me improve a ton cause I knew people would be watching my replays later and helped me focus on mistakes they pointed me out!

Thanks, profit. I think posting our replays is a great idea, and something that I will take advantage of soon.

Even though I don't post as often I still like to check out the WOL community thread. And as much as I love the pro scene talk (and all the My Little Pony posts), my passion is still for talking strategy and trying to help others and myself be better players.

We have a great community here and I love talking strategy and Starcraft. Being able to ask for help and break down a replay with others here is a great idea and hope other take advantage of it.

profit

Thanks, profit. I think posting our replays is a great idea, and something that I will take advantage of soon.

Even though I don't post as often I still like to check out the WOL community thread. And as much as I love the pro scene talk (and all the My Little Pony posts), my passion is still for talking strategy and trying to help others and myself be better players.

We have a great community here and I love talking strategy and Starcraft. Being able to ask for help and break down a replay with others here is a great idea and hope other take advantage of it.
Yup that is what I enjoy aswell and miss a bit in the WoL OT... But I was a bronze scrub for quite some time so I usually thought my opinion was not valid so I just kept my mouth shut instead of blabbing about stuff I could be wrong about!

Shit expansion for multiplayer, still buying it but i'm still playing WOL.

I have no doubts that the guys at Blizzard have the possibility of making a game shitter than the last ~ 6 months or so of WoL, but from what I've seen in IEM, its at least a little bit better which is more than you can ask for when taking into consideration the developer behind it.

Tacitus_

Trying to finish it up before HotS, this is so true. Every mission has been great (except that lava one), and I like how they handle the upgrades and such between.

Whaat, the lava mission was awesome. Call down a merc pack or two, accompany them with medics and have them hold the chokepoint and then you can go roam around with the free reapers you find around the map, abusing the ledges to no end.

fatty

Whaat, the lava mission was awesome. Call down a merc pack or two, accompany them with medics and have them hold the chokepoint and then you can go roam around with the free reapers you find around the map, abusing the ledges to no end.

Ah, that brings back memories. Really enjoyed the single player campaign gameplay and the upgrades. Now the story, hope it is better for HotS...

I shall be returning for some gaf fun. I was playing around with the beta quite a bit but haven't booted up WoL for a long time. Can't wait for tuesday.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sorry, but how does one upload a replay for SC2? Is it that drop.sc site I just found via a Google search?

Tacitus_

Ah, that brings back memories. Really enjoyed the single player campaign gameplay and the upgrades. Now the story, hope it is better for HotS...

I hold no high hopes for the story in HotS, given what the #Vengeance trailer showed. I'm just hoping that the story isn't so offensively bad that it starts to harm my enjoyment of the missions.

I'm sorry, but how does one upload a replay for SC2? Is it that drop.sc site I just found via a Google search?

Just grab the correct file from your replays folder and upload it to a cyberlocker.

Top Bottom