• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Weird, FRAPS should be picking it up at least. I took a bunch of Borderlands 2 screenshots back in the day and all were SMAA-inclusive.

Anathem

Neo Member
Ok I did some tests, as the game needs to be launched with the command line "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" to use the PoolSize value from the file (otherwise it's calculated).

So, in and area where my VRAM was stuck at 2GB (max of my VRAM), and the game was stuttering like hell each time I turned the camera, I tried several values :

PoolSize=140 (like in many UE3 games) : textures are blurry and VRAM does not exceed 750MB.

PoolSize=400 (default one) : less blurry but only 1000MB VRAM used.

PoolSize=1200 : sharp textures and 1900 VRAM used, no stutter in the large areas, even by going from one end to the other.

So it depends on how many VRAM you have, just try.
For now let's say your VRAM minus 800.

To enable this, you have to open the properties of the game in Steam, and in the first tab you have a button "Set launch options", and put "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" without the "".

For me it works well, the game is always smooth and I only got little drops when it streams the level, but the big stutter is gone.

This worked for me! Thank you!

i7 860 @ 3.36GHz, GTX 570

Set the poolsize at 750 and I haven't gone much over 1GB of VRAM in use. Just did all of Soldier's Field with NO pauses. Only minor frame rate drops, very briefly, on load.

Time to play this game, properly.

t-ramp

FRAPS and Steam disable it. I'll try print screen.
Dumb question maybe, but are you playing at your monitor's native resolution?

Also, I played some more last night, and no stuttering. For a while at least I was running at a solid 60fps, and it was spectacular. So good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
do any of you have a fix for D3Doverider not appearing in the task bar in Windows 8. For some reason sometimes it will show up, sometimes it wont, sometime it will launch, ill see it in the task manager processes tab, it will work, but the gui wont show up.

Dmax3901

Set the poolsize at 750 and I haven't gone much over 1GB of VRAM in use. Just did all of Soldier's Field with NO pauses. Only minor frame rate drops, very briefly, on load.

Wait so I have a 1gb card, I should just leave it the pool size at 400 right? That's what I've been doing thus far, should I be doing something else?

bobeth

do any of you have a fix for D3Doverider not appearing in the task bar in Windows 8. For some reason sometimes it will show up, sometimes it wont, sometime it will launch, ill see it in the task manager processes tab, it will work, but the gui wont show up.

I had this problem (win7), D3D would only show up if I closed the logitech application for my mouse... Don't know if that helps..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait so I have a 1gb card, I should just leave it the pool size at 400 right? That's what I've been doing thus far, should I be doing something else?

You may be able to slightly increase the value, but I think the practical benefits would be non-existent.

Appleman

I'm not sure how the customised INI files for the benchmark work, but you could just edit a custom resolution of 4k into steamappscommonBioShock InfiniteBinariesWin32Benchmark.bat:

Code:
ECHO.
ECHO ----------------------------------------------
ECHO.
ECHO Please choose a resolution to benchmark. 
ECHO.
ECHO Available Resolutions:
ECHO.
ECHO 	1: 1280 x 720	(16:9, 720p HD)
ECHO 	2: 1366 x 768	(16:9)
ECHO 	3: 1600 x 900	(16:9)
ECHO 	4: 1920 x 1080	(16:9, 1080p HD)
ECHO 	5: 2560 x 1440	(16:9)
ECHO 	6: 3840 x 2160	(16:9, 4k HD)
ECHO.
ECHO Please note: resolutions that not supported natively by your display will prevent the benchmark from executing.
ECHO.
CHOICE /N /C:123456 /M "Desired resolution:"%1

IF ERRORLEVEL ==6 (
SET RESX=3840
SET RESY=2160
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

IF ERRORLEVEL ==5 (
SET RESX=2560
SET RESY=1440
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

IF ERRORLEVEL ==4 (
SET RESX=1920
SET RESY=1080
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

IF ERRORLEVEL ==3 (
SET RESX=1600
SET RESY=900
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

IF ERRORLEVEL ==2 (
SET RESX=1366
SET RESY=768
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

IF ERRORLEVEL ==1 (
SET RESX=1280
SET RESY=720
GOTO VALIDATE_CONFIG
)

Tried this myself, albeit with 2100x1313, and it worked just fine.

Edit: Updated the code a little bit so you're not overwriting the default fifth value.

I think the issue he's having I had as well, but I was just trying to use the built in resolution of 2560x1440 on my 2560x1600 monitor.... Running it at native worked fine

Ok I did some tests, as the game needs to be launched with the command line "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" to use the PoolSize value from the file (otherwise it's calculated).

So, in and area where my VRAM was stuck at 2GB (max of my VRAM), and the game was stuttering like hell each time I turned the camera, I tried several values :

PoolSize=140 (like in many UE3 games) : textures are blurry and VRAM does not exceed 750MB.

PoolSize=400 (default one) : less blurry but only 1000MB VRAM used.

PoolSize=1200 : sharp textures and 1900 VRAM used, no stutter in the large areas, even by going from one end to the other.

So it depends on how many VRAM you have, just try.
For now let's say your VRAM minus 800.

To enable this, you have to open the properties of the game in Steam, and in the first tab you have a button "Set launch options", and put "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" without the "".

For me it works well, the game is always smooth and I only got little drops when it streams the level, but the big stutter is gone.

This also worked for me.

I had previously eliminated the stutter by setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to False. This was working flawlessly for the first 3 hours of gameplay but i was becoming increasingly worried i was going to experience the game breaking bugs people were reporting with this method... so i preemptively reverted the setting to True and tested the fix above. Much to my surprise it too has completely resolved the stuttering issue i was experiencing. Now playing @ 1080p with 80-100 avg fps with everything set to Ultra.

Cheers to another great Gaf PC troubleshooting thread.

I have a question, which SMAA injector gives the better results? SweetFX or that mirhaandi one?

You can customize the SMAA settings in SweetFX to go a little beyond the standalone SMAA injector's "ultra".... but it's still 1xSMAA and it's not going to perform miracles. If you don't want the additional shaders that come in SweetFX, just use the SMAA injector.

thabiz

are you on the 1.2gb version?

Reclaimer

Advice begging:

My PC is getting a little long in the tooth. My options are to play on my PC or my 360. Both are hooked to my 1080p TV. Will my PC still be able to look/sound significantly better than my 360?

2.4Ghz Quad Core (Older, not of the i5/i7 variety), 8gb ram, GTX295 (it's kind of an oddball sli card), no dedicated sound card.

Help please!

haikira

Just double checking. For the SMAA injector with this game, i'd use the d3d10 folder?

EDIT: Nevermind. I can see it's working by using the toggle button.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Advice begging:

My PC is getting a little long in the tooth. My options are to play on my PC or my 360. Both are hooked to my 1080p TV. Will my PC still be able to look/sound significantly better than my 360?

2.4Ghz Quad Core (Older, not of the i5/i7 variety), 8gb ram, GTX295 (it's kind of an oddball sli card), no dedicated sound card.

Help please!

I'm running the game with nearly max settings in every category at 1080p on a GTX 460 768MB (bought it in 2011). I disabled in game frame lock (vsync) and used D3Doverrider to vsync and triple buffer and it looks and sounds incredible and runs between 30 and 60 at all times.

According to anandtech's gpu bench page, your GPU is substantially better than mine.

I'd say PC is the way to go, unless your CPU is a problem? Someone else will need to answer that, though.

Reclaimer

I'm running the game with nearly max settings in every category at 1080p on a GTX 460 768MB (bought it in 2011). I disabled in game frame lock (vsync) and used D3Doverrider to vsync and triple buffer and it looks and sounds incredible and runs between 30 and 60 at all times.

According to anandtech's gpu bench page, your GPU is substantially better than mine.

I'd say PC is the way to go, unless your CPU is a problem? Someone else will need to answer that, though.

Thanks! I'm worried my CPU will be my downfall here...

(Why isn't a high end steam box out!?)

Thanks! I'm worried my CPU will be my downfall here...

(Why isn't a high end steam box out!?)

Don't be.

I've a DUAL CORE Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 GHz and an even lousier ATI Radeon 4670 GPU and the game runs very nicely at settings superior to the 360 version. (1600x900, Ultra textures and filtering, Shadows Low, PP Normal, LOD Normal, Light Shafts On, AO off, AA off, Frame Lock off. 30 - 40 FPS on average with dips to the high 20s when loading in new areas (lasts barely a second).)

You have a QUAD CORE. A QUAD CORE.

Go for it!

I'll link to my earlier post in the thread for more details about my setup and settings:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51729426&postcount=1547

I must be the only one on PCGaf in this thread running the game on a Core 2 Duo. A Core 2 Duo. My shitty laptop surprises me at times in its ability to run 2012-2013 games. I suspect it won't for very much longer lol once the PS4/720 comes out. When DX11 hardware becomes mandatory to even run a game (with no DX10 fallback), I guess I'll have to finally retire it.

Zeliard

I am suddenly, out of nowhere, getting massive tearing at sub-60 fps. :< I've been playing with adaptive vsync on and it's been smooth for several hours, but all of a sudden it's now tearing like nobody's business. I barely move my mouse horizontally and the screen practically warps. Anyone know what could have changed? Never had that happen before.

Running vsync + triple buffering is a possibility but it means I can't use SMAA anymore :/

tborsje

So I have a 570 gtx and was experiancing major stuttering as well, but I noticed if I went into the menu and changed the texture size from ultra to high, then back to ultra again it would flush the video memory and the game wouldn't stutter anymore for a few minutes! But eventually it would start up again. So I played around more and more and finally noticed the only way I was able to make the stuttering stop was to set my texture size to normal. :(. I guess the 570 just doesn't have the VRAM to play with high/ultra textures.

That's the exact position I ended up in (GTX570 also). All options ultra except shadows very high, AO high & texture resolution medium.

In the end you just have to stop stuffing around with settings, settle on stable performance and just play the game. It's fucking amazing. Deserves every 10/10 review it's received. The art is the best in the industry, it shines through any 'medium' resolution textures.

JRW

Here's a sweetfx comparison. I'm using this guy's "Darkened" settings. S-curve adjustment really make things pop, and makes it darker without killing all shadow detail. I personally really like these settings, it's like night and day when switching in-game. Shot is pretty boring unfortunately, the best ones are spoilerific.

A lot of the "overbright" issues with PC games is the poor contrast ratios on most PC LCDs, When I play PC's Bioshock Inf on my Plasma it looks like your sweetfx shot. (Ive never ran sweetfx).

I have dual LCDs & the Plasma hooked up as a 3rd monitor for gaming and Ive always noticed this when comparing images & games.

Pavaloo

You can run it in 3d alright but it will make your eyes bleed. Jesus Christ, I haven't seen this bad of a 3d in any game so far.

Yeah, I have an ATI card so I had to use TriDef 3D to get the effect going. While I was doing the benchmark, it looked really glorious actually. I had no screen tearing and it was all running with ultra settings at 1080p. I load up the game and the menu is in 3D it all looks great! Then when I started the actual game, everything instantly became lowest resolution possible and there were screen tears all over the place. So I've been playing in 2D this whole time.

It's a shame, I hope it gets working soon, this game would look stunning in 3D if it wasn't broken for now. The PS3 version has it natively :/ I figured the PC version would have 3D AND hi-res texutres, that's why I bought it lol. Oh well, someone will figure it out I'm sure.

Eyothrie

Just double checking. For the SMAA injector with this game, i'd use the d3d10 folder?

EDIT: Nevermind. I can see it's working by using the toggle button.

What is the toggle and screenshot buttons? The INI just shows this:
;toggle shader keycode
key_toggle = 19
;make screenshot keycode
key_screenshot = 44

Mononoke

Banned
Just wanted to thank this thread for saving my game. Seriously, the stuttering was ridiculous. I'm kind of disappointed this game has so many issues out of the gate. I mean, again the art design is gorgeous. It's vivid, it really pops out. The actual level design is beautiful. I love it. But it's not like this is pushing the boundaries of graphics. The textures still leave things to be desired (the floral looks blocky for instance).

So it bums me out this thing doesn't run smoother. Or that I had to do a bunch of work around to get it to run better. When Levine and co. said good things about the PC version, and reviewers said it was the superior version - I just figured this would be working better than it is. That said, maybe I'm having more issues because I have an SLI setup. Whatever, now that I've done the fixes, it's smooth sailing.

Mononoke

Banned
A lot of the "overbright" issues with PC games is the poor contrast ratios on most PC LCDs, When I play PC's Bioshock Inf on my Plasma it looks like your sweetfx shot. (Ive never ran sweetfx).

I have dual LCDs & the Plasma hooked up as a 3rd monitor for gaming and Ive always noticed this when comparing images & games.

Maybe it's just me, but I already find Infinite to be really bright and saturated. Using SweetFX on this would be overkill. Then again, I also recognize (as you said) - different panels, have different color settings etc.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Pretty awesome game so far. Performance on my rig is good!

Ce-Lin

I've been reading the thread but I'm not as tech-savvy as you guys, anyone kind to point me what to edit in the .ini file to get the best results for a Quad-Core 8 GB RAM + GTX 660 Ti 3 GB RAM ? (Windows 7 x64) specially the poolsize var which seems to affect the game performance the most.

I just got this incredible game in the mail, thanks a lot in advance.

Grief.exe

Don't be.

I've a DUAL CORE Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 GHz and an even lousier ATI Radeon 4670 GPU and the game runs very nicely at settings superior to the 360 version. (1600x900, Ultra textures and filtering, Shadows Low, PP Normal, LOD Normal, Light Shafts On, AO off, AA off, Frame Lock off. 30 - 40 FPS on average with dips to the high 20s when loading in new areas (lasts barely a second).)

You have a QUAD CORE. A QUAD CORE.

Go for it!

I'll link to my earlier post in the thread for more details about my setup and settings:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51729426&postcount=1547

I must be the only one on PCGaf in this thread running the game on a Core 2 Duo. A Core 2 Duo. My shitty laptop surprises me at times in its ability to run 2012-2013 games. I suspect it won't for very much longer lol once the PS4/720 comes out. When DX11 hardware becomes mandatory to even run a game (with no DX10 fallback), I guess I'll have to finally retire it.

This is like the best post ever for convincing someone.

You have a core 2 duo

And a 4670

If you can run this game just fine, then anyone can.

Gartikker

I had this problem (win7), D3D would only show up if I closed the logitech application for my mouse... Don't know if that helps..

You are a life saver. This worked for me. I must of tried tens of different supposed solutions but none worked. No one knew what caused it, i have win 7 as well.

Right click the application in you steam library and you'll see an option to launch the benchmark.
Aha. Well I didn't get any stuttering in that, but I get them during the game. I made it use my current settings, but it seemed to have disabled v-sync, which I have on during the game. So perhaps the massive tearing is disguising the stutters I normally see with v-sync.

Yiorgos

Tried the "readmemorypoolfromini" tweak on my gtx 680. it does indeed limit the vram usage from 2 gigs to around a gig but stuttering still happens. Turning AO off seems to cure it to a large extend. It seems that the AO ingame is optimized for AMD cards and not nvidia. Any thoughts? And by stuttering i mean dropping from 60 to 30 fps when AO is heavily used.

Aha. Well I didn't get any stuttering in that, but I get them during the game. I made it use my current settings, but it seemed to have disabled v-sync, which I have on during the game. So perhaps the massive tearing is disguising the stutters I normally see with v-sync.

Thanks for checking. I'm forcing triple buffered vsync through RadeonPro so I do have vsync working during the benchmark. I was hoping to get all of my tweaking done before I started actually playing but if the benchmark isn't a great indicator of performance than that might not work out.

You can customize the SMAA settings in SweetFX to go a little beyond the standalone SMAA injector's "ultra".... but it's still 1xSMAA and it's not going to perform miracles. If you don't want the additional shaders that come in SweetFX, just use the SMAA injector.

I haven't installed anything yet but if I'm reading this correctly, both injectors can apply only 1xSMAA? Is there a way to apply something like 4xSMAA or better? I'm aware of the downsampling way but I would like to see what injectors can do.

Nope! Core 2 Duo here, too. At 1080p with a GTX560 and a mix of high and low settings I'm getting 50-60 all the time, and with no more hitching after fixing the ini (late-game screenshot with framerate, settings 1 and 2).

The only games that have given me real trouble in the last couple of years have been GTA4 and SR3. I'm holding on for as long as I can, figuring if the new console generation really does change things I might as well wait and get a CPU with as many cores as possible, and a GPU with more RAM than my whole PC right now.

Mononoke

Banned
Tried the "readmemorypoolfromini" tweak on my gtx 680. it does indeed limit the vram usage from 2 gigs to around a gig but stuttering still happens. Turning AO off seems to cure it to a large extend. It seems that the AO ingame is optimized for AMD cards and not nvidia. Any thoughts? And by stuttering i mean dropping from 60 to 30 fps when AO is heavily used.

I noticed this as well. Earlier before I read this thread, the only thing that brought my insane memory down, and stopped the stuttering was messing with AO.

But doing the trick has pretty much stopped stuttering for me. It still happens every once in a while when I'm sprinting into a new area, or turn around quickly. But it's no where as bad as it was before doing it.

Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but does limiting the pool of memory weaken the overall graphic textures? I know when I tried 400, some graphics were blurry. So I cranked it up so I was using 1900mb worth of memory. But it feels off to me. Hmmmm.

Zeliard

Honestly it's really not even that bad at 1080p if you inject SMAA. That's how I played the game, I couldn't handle the extra stuttering and the HUD rescaling from downsampling.

There's a tweak for the HUD rescaling tho, did you try it? It works nicely. Its only downside is in making the health/salt bars a bit bigger, but a number like 0.5 is a nice middle ground @ 2560x1600.

scitek

I tried downsampling from 1440p but my framerate was stuck in the 40s. Injecting SMAA breaks D3DOverrider and Afterburner's OSD, so I'm playing with in-game FXAA even though it softens the picture way more than I'd like.

Zeliard

Afterburner OSD should work with SMAA if you enable compatibility with modified d3d runtime libraries. Though I wasn't able to get the AA to show up in pictures taken through Afterburner.

Fraps just didn't work with it at all. Never had an issue with it and SMAA before.

JohngPR

Honestly it's really not even that bad at 1080p if you inject SMAA. That's how I played the game, I couldn't handle the extra stuttering and the HUD rescaling from downsampling.

If you use SweetFX and Lumasharpen, you can get rid of quite a bit of the blurriness that comes with FXAA while still getting some of the benefits of getting rid of more the aliasing than not using the FXAA.

Top Bottom