• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

I made it through that part with the backgroundLevelStreaming=false setting on, so it's not 100%.

Never mind on this -- looks like my config got reset at some point, so it might not have actually been set at the time.

Anyone else getting this issue where the Steam overlay doesn't work if D3DOverrider is active? It seems like it's interfering with achievements too.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Anyone else give this a shot yet? I am curious if you really need to do this at the launch of the game and also wondering if you bump up the Poolsize higher does it net even sharper textures? I thought this was just to stop the stutter as to me the stutter seemed like a LOD issue.

From page 29, but only a few seem to have seen it :
Maybe this has already been posted?
Found this in one of the settings files when testing some benchmarking command lines (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini)

[TextureStreaming]
UseTextureFileCache=TRUE
; We now auto calculate the texture pool size on PC.
; The equation is basically TexturePoolSize = Detected video memory - size of frame buffers - estimate for other resource useage like vertex buffers.
; TexturePoolSizeReductionMB is the estimate of how much we'll need for resources than the frame buffers
TexturePoolSizeReductionMB=40
;On PC, pool size only gets used if -ReadTexturePoolFromIni is passed in on the commandline. Otherwise it is auto calculated based on your video card memory.
PoolSize=400

So apparently, the PoolSize change doesn't really do anything?

Anyone else give this a shot yet? I am curious if you really need to do this at the launch of the game and also wondering if you bump up the Poolsize higher does it net even sharper textures? I thought this was just to stop the stutter as to me the stutter seemed like a LOD issue.

I just tried this, there's definitely a difference going from 140 -> 400 -> 1200. But I don't really notice a difference from 1200 vs. default (not using the -ReadTexturePoolFromIni flag).

-PXG-

Okay with

ReadTexturePoolFromIni

set at 400, I get a lot of notieable texture pop in. Set at 1200 makes it stutter worse than before.

I decided to put at 800. I guess that's the sweet spot. Runs great (or just how it was before).

EDIT

I decided to remove the launch option from Steam. Result. No stutter at all and great IQ.

So yeah, at least for me, this either made everything look better and run worse or run better and have awful pop-in.

I don'r recommend doing this. Let the game self calculate. Forcing it could result in undesired results.

gdt

Guys, my game stopped saving. Everytime it tries it minimizes and I get read/write error on my pc. I don't have it installed to an external hdd or anything. And have plenty of space for everything. When I exit out of the game, I'm gonna lost like 3 hours of progress! Fuck me.

JohngPR

Just got to Soldier's Field. Are the textures this bad in these specific spots for everyone, or did I change something that messed up the textures? I don't remember any of the textures looking this bad in other areas before this:

jit1T35.jpg

JohngPR

Looks like one of the rug textures I saw in Soldier's Field was that bad earlier in the game...guess I just didn't notice it before. LOL

At some point the game set my texture detail to low. Must've been right just now when I was messing with settings because I would have noticed it. I'm going to stop tweaking so much and just play the damn thing. LOL

Hylian7

Is there any way to get rid of that yellow shield restoration effect? It has fucked with my vision of something too many a-time.

Is there any reason to install the 13.3 Catalyst beta for this game? It's my understanding that installing it disables to your existing downsample resolutions and which you are unable to recreate.

I'm having issues with my mouse on this game. The movement when I look around looks stuttery almost as if when I move diagonally it shakes a little. Anyone know how to fix this?

Eyothrie

No I saw that, but I meant what are you guys using? I don't think I'd want wider than the default slider maximum allows.

Ahh, I don't have a specific number to tell you. I wish the game let you choose a specific angle. But mine is about half way between the default and max. I just played around with it until I found what I liked best.

I made it through that part with the backgroundLevelStreaming=false setting on, so it's not 100%. I'll be setting that back to true tonight though -- don't want to risk breaking something else, and I still get the stuttering during loads anyway.

Is it hurting your performance at all? Based on some of the posts earlier in the thread it sounds like the engine scales itself to your maximum VRAM amount, so as long as the game runs well I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The game is running flawlessly for me, so the VRAM scaling makes sense. Cheers.

R1CHO

Just got to Soldier's Field. Are the textures this bad in these specific spots for everyone, or did I change something that messed up the textures? I don't remember any of the textures looking this bad in other areas before this:

I also don't remember any important texture like that looking that bad.

Anathem

Neo Member
Apologies if someone has posted this, but I haven't seen it.

Irrational posted an FAQ on their site and this was on it:

I’m seeing my game freeze every few minutes, and sometimes crashing.

We have seen reports on this issue from a small percentage of users.

We have seen users post that using the newest Beta drivers for their particular video card fixed this issue for them, but please note there are risks involved with Beta software.

Another solution has been to try lowering your in-game graphical settings and/or resolution.

Please note that we are investigating more solutions for this.

Facism

does anyone have a fix for this autosave fail, read/write error EVERY time the game tries to save? steam running in admin, loads of free space on my HDD.

I mean, despite the warning that the save failed, the game still actually saves, but i get minimised and have to click a fuckng window's prompt before i can continue playing. It's really breaking the flow of the game for me.

Just had a fiddle with the ReadTexturePoolFromIni fix, and setting it to 1200 seemed to smooth things out on Ultra settings in the same manner that dropping down to "normal" texture resolution does on my 2GB 660ti.

However, switching between normal and ultra texture resolution with that fix seems to yield no discernible difference, the texture resolution seems to stay the same.

Am I right in assuming that setting that it to 1200 is basically just hard limiting the amount of VRAM to assign for texture data, so it'll only scale to a certain point, i.e. normal texture resolution?

7870 running at 1920 x 1200. Managed to get a solid 60 fps when things are quiet but it creaks down to 40 when things liven up or while loading in a new area.

Any suggestions on what to drop? Going to try some of these texture pool things, it's a real shame Unreal Engine has these consistent smeary texture load in issues. It's fantastic that it smoothly loads in the high resolution one on the fly but.. it shouldn't have to on a fairly high end system.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason to install the 13.3 Catalyst beta for this game? It's my understanding that installing it disables to your existing downsample resolutions and which you are unable to recreate.

I'm on 13.3 Betas and have no trouble using existing downsampling resolutions created with the GUI. I think it just prevents new ones from being created.

Ok, I ran the benchmark on Ultra 1920x1080 and these are my results:
PQaohTd.png

I forced triple buffered vsync through RandeonPro and config the game to run in Windowed Fullscreen and set everything to Ultra except the DOF setting and reran the benchmark and it ran very smooth, virtually locked at 60 fps. How indicative is the benchmark to actual game performance?

I'm on 13.3 Betas and have no trouble using existing downsampling resolutions created with the GUI. I think it just prevents new ones from being created.

Thanks.

Chili

After enabling ReadTexturePoolFromIni I got a BSOD when moving into a new area. Not sure if it is related, but it is something I haven't seen in a while. That said, my stuttering seems to have greatly reduced with all these various tweaks.

In Inspector I have changed the SLI Compatibility bits to 0x0C1902F5 (Far Cry 3), I have enabled Ambient Occlusion Usage and set it to High Quality. I have set Max Pre-rendered frames to 1, I have enabled V-Sync Smooth AFR behaviors and Adapative V-Sync tear Control. In game, I have disabled Ambient Occlusion, and turned Lock Framerate on, everything else on Max.

In the ini, I have changed the values in the MemoryPools section to 1024 (this made the biggest difference I feel). I have also changed bSmoothFrameRate to false. And the PoolSize to 2048 and enabled it through the launch option ReadTexturePoolFromIni, but I'll monitor that for more BSODs.

scitek

After enabling ReadTexturePoolFromIni I got a BSOD when moving into a new area. Not sure if it is related, but it is something I haven't seen in a while

My game just crashed and my save file's been corrupted because of that launch option. Turn it off.

EDIT: Turning it off let me load my save again.

LTWheels

I've not read through this whole thread,

When an NPC is talking in front of you and you turn around, do voices pretty much become almost muted?

I understand having a decrease of volume, but it seems to completely fade out.

t-ramp

I've not read through this whole thread,

When an NPC is talking in front of you and you turn around, do voices pretty much become almost muted?

I understand having a decrease of volume, but it seems to completely fade out.
I noticed this a couple times. It doesn't make any sense when (I assume) the majority of players are using a stereo audio configuration.

Ok I did some tests, as the game needs to be launched with the command line "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" to use the PoolSize value from the file (otherwise it's calculated).

So, in and area where my VRAM was stuck at 2GB (max of my VRAM), and the game was stuttering like hell each time I turned the camera, I tried several values :

PoolSize=140 (like in many UE3 games) : textures are blurry and VRAM does not exceed 750MB.

PoolSize=400 (default one) : less blurry but only 1000MB VRAM used.

PoolSize=1200 : sharp textures and 1900 VRAM used, no stutter in the large areas, even by going from one end to the other.

So it depends on how many VRAM you have, just try.
For now let's say your VRAM minus 800.

To enable this, you have to open the properties of the game in Steam, and in the first tab you have a button "Set launch options", and put "-ReadTexturePoolFromIni" without the "".

For me it works well, the game is always smooth and I only got little drops when it streams the level, but the big stutter is gone.

Just wanted to say that this fixed what little studdering I had left. Thank you.

- J - D -

I wanted to use d3doverrider but it's not playing nice right now. Aside from it not cooperating with MSI Afterburner or Precision X, it won't even launch correctly.

Some here have recommended instead forcing Adaptive V-sync and triple buffer through Nvidia Inspector. Does that yield the same result? Well, I'm going to give it a try right now.

JRW

Ok so my .ini is back to default now the only change Ive tried is enabling Adaptive Vsync in nvidia control panel and the stuttering is very minimal so far, much less than before and ive only noticed screen tearing very briefly in the last hour.

Worth a try at least.

(GTX 480 w/ 314.22 driver).

rjfs

Neo Member
Runs great on ultra (660), but the screen tearing is brutal, never seen anything like it. I'm updating my drivers now, something is very wrong.

It's not really stuttering. It's a brief but substantial drop in FPS (a "hiccup") as if the game is loading info from the area you just entered. You can turn around, walk back to the invisible line you crossed, and make the FPS drop happen again, over and over. In between these problem areas, FPS is back to normal and gameplay is extremely smooth. But these invisible boundaries causing these FPS drops are too frequent. They happen to me every 50 meters I walk in the game.

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. Gtx 680, 3570k...

I really want to play this game but it's just too annoying.

Zeliard

I found that you can scale portions of the UI using the MaxResolutionUpScale option in XUI.ini. This is incredibly useful for people running at high resolutions who find that the UI is too small to read comfortably.

Change the value from 0 to 1 to enable UI scaling. This might also work for anyone who's into downsampling (see the bullshots thread) but I haven't tested it.

edit: You can set it to values between 0 and 1 as well. 0.5 works really well for me at 2560x1600

This is fantastic. Thanks. Works great with downsampling.

Eyothrie

I wanted to use d3doverrider but it's not playing nice right now. Aside from it not cooperating with MSI Afterburner or Precision X, it won't even launch correctly.

Some here have recommended instead forcing Adaptive V-sync and triple buffer through Nvidia Inspector. Does that yield the same result? Well, I'm going to give it a try right now.

Why not use Adaptive vsync in Nvidia Control panel? It works well for me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I found that you can scale portions of the UI using the MaxResolutionUpScale option in XUI.ini. This is incredibly useful for people running at high resolutions who find that the UI is too small to read comfortably.

Change the value from 0 to 1 to enable UI scaling. This might also work for anyone who's into downsampling (see the bullshots thread) but I haven't tested it.

edit: You can set it to values between 0 and 1 as well. 0.5 works really well for me at 2560x1600

Where is the file, I can't find it.

edit: nm

-PXG-

So I basically eliminated all the stuttering. Yes, virtually all of it. No noticeable stuttering or frame drops. I got this shit locked down at a smooth 60 fps.

My config:

PXG's Bioshock Infinite XEngine

I've made a lot of changes to this (too many to list), including setting bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming to FALSE. It's known that changing that line can cause major issues to scripting. So keep it as is at your own risk. In the event you do run into a problem, just exit it the game, set the value to True and reload your game. You should be fine. I only had one issue early in the game. Since then I've had smooth sailing. Once in a while, a few shadows will pop in, but I think those are just bugs in the game that aren't necessarily caused by changes to the config.

I'm downsampling the game from 2560 x 1440 to 1080p.

I'm using mrhandi's SMAA injectors. You can find them here. Follow the included instructions. Mine are set to Ultra. I've heard that FXAA interferes with SMAA, so I turned it off. For some reason, AA is seems to be disabled in screens, but it most definitely looks much better in real-time.

Anyway, Mostly everything is set to Ultra. Dynamic shadows are on High. Very high doesn't yield much a difference and Ultra is too blurry for my liking. Alternate Post Processing doesn't seem to do much besides lower performance a bit, so I turned that off. AO....yuck. I hate how it looks. I turned it off completely. It's a lame effect that has takes a big hit to your performance. It's not worth it.

I did not add any launch options through Steam. Adding -ReadTexturePoolFromIni gave me a lot of issues. I don't recommend using it. I suggest letting the game calculate texture pool size on it's own. Forcing the wrong number can lead to odd things, such as pop in or even worse performance. Leave it alone. Even if you mess with the value in XEngine, nothing will happen unless you add -ReadTexturePoolFromIni in Steam.

In the XEngine find

[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=400

Default = 400
1024 MB of VRAM = 600
2048 MB of VRAM = 1200
ect....You get the point

I mistakenly left mine on 1024. You can change it.

Basically, every 512 MB of VRAM is 300.

Inspector Settings

CMe9rNO.jpg

Thanks to maldo, I changed the SLI compatibility bit from the one included with the latest driver. This helped performance. Most people set their pre-rendered frames to 1. I set it to 3. Why not?

I'm on NVIDIA 314.22 beta drivers.

Let me know your results.

nib95

Banned
Touch wood I've had hardly any stuttering so far after a couple hours of play. It stutters only momentarily when loading another area (less a stutter more a loading pause), otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

i7 @3.8ghz, GTX 570, SSD, 12gb DDR3 and disk copy of the game (installed straight to C drive). getting 60fps most of the time except in heavy fire fights, where tbh the drops are fine. I have frame rate lock on, near enough max everything bar AO (Normal) and Shadows (High). Using latest Official drivers.

Top Bottom