• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

It seems that the CG work in Devil Survivor 2 The Animation hasn't been mentioned yet, so now's as good as time as any to bring it up. This is the other series which Orange is handling the CG for this season. It's not super fantastic or anything, as it's mostly complementing the 2D animation with special effects and the Septentriones, similar to their work on Accel World and Code:Breaker, but there are some interesting contributions in ep1.

rWfBU9a.jpg

They did this "super-interesting" crowd scene which was very obviously CG, but at the same time it still looks way better than most :wonzo crowd scenes where they just get a cheap overseas animators to draw a ton of ugly static people in the background, or the infamous copy and paste crap that even BONES is no longer infallible to. What makes the scene stand out in particular is the fluid motion and how every single person in the scene is moving independently all at the same time. The scene also continues in a few cuts after this close up, as visible from outside the window where the characters are talking. It's definitely the scene which stands out the most to me in terms of animation in the first episode... so that doesn't say much about the rest of the show! Lol.

The other main CG component in the episode is the first enemy Septentrione they encounter. It might look silly and heavily rendered, but that's probably something that was intentionally done to be true to the game too. In the game the characters and demons were all pixelart sprites on the battle map, but the Septentrione bosses were all larger pre-rendered CG sprites. I felt they retained the visual tone of the game pretty well.

CorvoSol

GAO GAI GAR 44

There was a really heartwarming moment in this episode where, after several episodes of fussing over it, Mamoru asks his parents if he really is their son. His mom hugs him real tight and says "of course you are!" and his dad, in a moment of super awesome sage, says "You are our son. You just came to us a little different than most kids!" It was super warm fuzzies all around.

This episode also had Gagatchi, which is a hilarious rip off of GaoGaiGar, and the Zonder of the week was the show's writer. No way did the writers not intend this as a pun.

Nafe

I turned 21 today. I still feel more like a 16-year old pretending to be older. Having my birthday on Easter Monday sucks since almost everything was closed.

I'm late for the congratulations but I hope you had a happy birthday Metrotab.

you are all turning into Cajuns.
best not to fight it.

Haha, I have to admit is was a bit weird seeing Lafiel use "the h word" there.

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 025

Best girl is here. She's so superior to everyone else that even Ami and Luna join her harem. Definitely the one to bring about the World Revolution.

Best Youma design yet. Zoisite is a huge dick, by the way. Can't wait to see his face pummeled to tang.

Some of these Goldfish Warning! cameos are stupidly brief. Blink and you'll miss them.

Despite Makoto being the tall one, I had looked it up and I think she's really only supposed to be 5'6", which really isn't that tall. I guess it's just another one of those cases of the girls being really short like in K-On.

Seeing many of them now it's amazing how many Goldfish Warning! cameos there are in the show.

Hyouka 22 (Rewatch)

I am very fond of this series, and I really enjoyed writing about it. It served me to put my thoughts in order while rewatching it, and also to train my English writing skills. Thanks to everyone who read even one of those posts, they must seem like long pointless stretches to many, lol. I was often surprised that I could write paragraphs and paragraphs for each episode, when before starting it seemed like I had nothing to say at all.

Here's hoping Kyoani can reach this level of finesse again with future projects, and that they abandon the Chuu2s for good. Give Takemoto another project!

I unfortunately didn't really have anything interesting to add but I read through all of your posts regarding Hyouka and they were interesting reads, especially when it got to the different staff and techniques they used which I'm maybe not familiar with myself.

I'm late to the congratulations because I rely too much on Nafe's advise! >:-D

Happy Birthday, Metrotab!

I'm late to the congratulations myself. I was busy and also not even aware but I guess it's like the saying "better late than never" hopefully.

Amagami KoiChoco OVA
evp8FkMl.jpg

So delicious!

This was pretty much my reaction, on the inside anyway, to a dessert I tried recently. It was called Drumstick Dessert and kind of looked and was supposed to taste like a drumstick but it was more a piece or square you ate with a fork instead and it was super oishii!

If you saw it and didn't reply that fine but I responded to your post before here in case you missed it.

This thread needs a little bit of 'art nouveau' up on it, don't you think?

Well, we already talked about what type of talented 'trainees' TRIGGER Inc., took under their wing, but still, in my opinion, this is the kind of project that could present as more beneficial for a training project than any other, because it simply inspires imagination without extraneous or a pretentious conditioning, instills a initial joy for the medium they could work for... like Shiny Chariot also inspired Akko into admiring what she could do, to the point of her going to the Academia against all obvious hardships just clinging to the wonders she experienced at that show. All in a way someone like Mr. Yoshinari, with his broader, more open view and 'connoisseur' of styles outside the normal reach of their somewhat 'inbreed' industry, could provide.

This seems a work of loving the characters expressiveness in it, loving the process of creating such characters... making them seem alive and putting them in a setting exploiting visually that lively approach. Not as means of putting safer self-inserts of the viewer to direct easily a moralizing message, but as better accomplishing a very own creator's fantasy that absorbs the spectator on their imaginative vision in which these characters are properly rooted into, on that strange world, to explain and hit harder with said moralizing message of (precisely) never ceasing to believe (even if in a fantasy like this one, is a sensible remark)... how those characters in their unique situation tackle such crazy, and splendid, and magical happenings awakens our enjoyment like no other, I think.

A nice write up. Sasuga /XX/, haha.

The kind of parallel idea that some young person or someone just getting into the business and seeing the Little Witch Academia short and being inspired just like Akko was by Shiny Chariot is a good point. Maybe we'll meet that real life Akko some years in the future and see what they produce.

This is so wierd, haha.

Little Witch Academia

Why did no one tell me Yoko Hikasa was in this? I would have watched it sooner.
Animation was obviously pretty good, but the story flowed great as well. It really liked to use foreshadowing a lot. Though one thing I didn't get is why did
that staff work on the dragon when it absorbed all other kinds of magic
?
Well in any case, it was enjoyable.

I did just a few hours and pages before.

I think I'll take a wait and see approach to this. See what people have to say about it in the next episode or so.

You're going to be disappointed if you're looking for lewd stuff/smut after the first episode. It turns into a battle series.

That goes for everyone watching Crime Edge.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Chihayafuru 2] 12
The :sdburton scale in this show is off the charts. OFF THE CHARTS

I wish I could say more, but karuta matches only lend themselves for so much discussio. This episode actually was yawn-inducing at times. It's not that I've grown tired of the sport, but that Chihaya really is a boring protagonist to follow, especially now that she's retreading old ground against these "competitors of the week". It's a lot more interesting to see how the other Mizusawa players tackle their own matches.

Defuser

Majestic Prince ep 1

Like others said, I can't get over how fucking atrocious the character designs are, they really inconsistent and sterotypical such as those Undina board commanders having big ass noses.etc. Really hampers my enjoyment of this show.

Other than that, it's a solid first episode, nice mech designs are nice and interesting in the way they assemble and work.

Action is also great with all the pretty colour lights zooming and flashing, very flashy.

Does a good job in establishing the characters on their quirks and characteristics.

Asagi - Hot headed unknowledgable idiot.
Ataru - Perverted sniper otaku.
Tamaki - Whimsical girl who is looking for love.
Kei - Serious cool beauty.
Isuru - An drawing artist who seems ordinary to his peers, doesn't stand out much but wants to be a Hero.

Story is one of the many cliches of having a incompetent team arguing and having the commander forcing them to fight helps them work better with each other(although the commander have ulterior motives on why he pick them) and of course the hero....... cliche but all the same entertaining.

The Good:

-Soundtrack is great
-Nice action
-Nice mechs
-Miyuki Sawashiro

The Bad and the Ugly:

-Character designs

The show is off to a solid start and I am looking forward every week to see how this show will unfold.

Devil survivor 2 - 01
i should play the game but i have no time to.

Otherwise this was an ok first episode .

DEVIL%20SURVIVOR%202_01.jpg

The hero , the main character , the choosen one ..you name it

The characters weren't bad .. in fact they were quite good.
I liked that the MC friend
fled , not for his own asfety but to find a mean to attack ( even if it was suicidal )
.can i hope that he will be more than a simple sidekick , maybe frustrated ?

I'm intrigued and i clearly want to see the rest :)

Does it turn into a good battle series? What's your impression of the manga?

I don't remember a lot and there have only been like 18 translated chapters, but I do remember liking a few parts, but also being confused by other parts. I think it was probably average.

I'm glad this anime happened because it would likely make translations more frequent and give me a refresher since the set before the most recent set of chapters is from 2 years ago.

Edit: Also, maybe I shouldn't call it a straight up battle series. It has battle elements, but the focus is all over the place.

Despite Makoto being the tall one, I had looked it up and I think she's really only supposed to be 5'6", which really isn't that tall. I guess it's just another one of those cases of the girls being really short like in K-On.
Well the average height for girls in Japan is like 5'2" so she is tall in comparison.
That's what I get for reading the thread afterwards. That said, I think I would have been more hyped to watch it if I knew it prior to watching that Yoko was in it, but it was a very nice surprise.

789shadow

Banned
Devil Survivor 2 - 01

No strong opinions either way.

Majestic Prince - 01

Soooooooooooooo are they going to explain how the dunces managed to defeat an entire army?

Majestic prince - 01

Alright first episode ..it was good teamwork overall but they better reintroduce teh cast properly afterwards.

Animation was alright ..

Music was ok too .

I managed to support the character designs...i guess i don't have problems with this designer and only linebarrels was crap.

Mecha were pretty good.

I still can't shake the heroic age feelign i have inside .

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

duckroll

Majestic Prince - 01

Soooooooooooooo are they going to explain how the dunces managed to defeat an entire army?

Yes, I think so.
If you pay attention at the end of the episode, you'll see that the only person who wasn't surprised that they managed to succeed was the Commander.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Space Brothers] 51

Add me to the team of people that believes that Amanti's superpower bullshit is completely out of place in this cartoon and that it only robs the grounded drama about human interaction from whatever momentum it has whenever it comes up. Which is a shame, because the story about Nitta and his brother has been some of the best character arcs in this entire show.

So it seems that episode 52 is gonna be a recap episode. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Hataraku Maou-sama! 01

First four minutes probably contained about all the action this show will ever have. It looked really cool but I'm ok with never seeing again.

I'm also ok if they never use that actual moon-speak again in this show, especially with how it goes from the demon king and his lackey speaking perfect Japanese and then moon-speak again.

I like the humor in the show so far. It's pretty slice of life, and I like the demon king so far as a character. He's energetic, fun to watch and apparently great with his hands.

rpmurphy

[Space Brothers] 51

Add me to the team of people that believes that Amanti's superpower bullshit is completely out of place in this cartoon and that it only robs the grounded drama about human interaction from whatever momentum it has whenever it comes up. Which is a shame, because the story about Nitta and his brother has been some of the best character arcs in this entire show.
I seriously hope Amanti's presence in the show will end soon, or at least just get over the part that's supposed to be Mutta's crisis or whatever so that we don't have to be constantly reminded of Amanti's clairvoyance BS. Worst character in the show so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I seriously hope Amanti's presence in the show will end soon, or at least just get over the part that's supposed to be Mutta's crisis or whatever so that we don't have to be constantly reminded of Amanti's clairvoyance BS. Worst character in the show so far.

Really, I must be the only one who thinks superstitions are as bullshit as premonitions, because I'm just astounded at the reaction to the new arc. lol

Stop bullying Natsume!
She deserves it!

Sexy loli cat girl Kobayashi.
So why is she only in every episode for three seconds? :p

Samurai Girls had actually nudity (boobs) it in. It's more High School DxD with Shaft-esque visuals.
Ah, so the TV version is advertising for the BDs. lol

It seems that the CG work in Devil Survivor 2 The Animation hasn't been mentioned yet, so now's as good as time as any to bring it up. This is the other series which Orange is handling the CG for this season. It's not super fantastic or anything, as it's mostly complementing the 2D animation with special effects and the Septentriones, similar to their work on Accel World and Code:Breaker, but there are some interesting contributions in ep1.

They did this "super-interesting" crowd scene which was very obviously CG, but at the same time it still looks way better than most :wonzo crowd scenes where they just get a cheap overseas animators to draw a ton of ugly static people in the background, or the infamous copy and paste crap that even BONES is no longer infallible to. What makes the scene stand out in particular is the fluid motion and how every single person in the scene is moving independently all at the same time. The scene also continues in a few cuts after this close up, as visible from outside the window where the characters are talking. It's definitely the scene which stands out the most to me in terms of animation in the first episode... so that doesn't say much about the rest of the show! Lol.

I mentioned the :wonzo earlier. There were other scenes with CG crowds where everyone was walking in sync or at least had the exact same two-frame walking animation. It was so :wonzo.

cj_iwakura

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION 01

22 seconds into the episode, MC is wearing a hoodie that has some stupid ass ears on it.

Dropped.

Oh it gets better.

Someone explain to me why the hell THE CRAWLING CHAOS has his own anime.

Philemon would be disgusted.

Nafe

Transformers 93

Want to go through the series proper sometime but realized this was on Netflix and that I should finally check out Call of the Primitives as Masami Obari was the animation director for it according to the Vanishing Trooper blog. Same old sort of story you'd expect but it looks nice as heck what with the better animation models, all sorts of Kanada style effects, and just decent television animation.

Same blog posted this comparison I'll pass on.

Predaking stock combination:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ZNvt2X5ZCI

Predaking Obari-style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g98Y43Ngm0w

Good stuff all told and I'm glad I came across that blog.

I mentioned to Mad Pierrot a little while ago about having seen some of the show when I was younger like many people and around the second half of 2010(and maybe into 2011) I decided to go back and watch through the entire thing.

I still remember the episode titled "Call of the Primitives" because when I got to this episode there was just this immediate sense of "Whoah!". The production values and quality of the show seem on a whole other level in this episode. My first reaction was pretty much "Who were the staff on this episode" and if they spent much more money than usual.

Right away just the level of detailing on everyone seems much higher. There's that big robot that turns into a base called Metroplex and the Decepticons had a similar counterpart on their side which was a giant T-Rex kind of dinosaur and there's tons of detailing on it in just about every scene it appears in this episode. It's really quite noticeable when you watch the next episode or maybe it's the episode after and it appears again and it's just missing so many of those details now.

The explosions looked much more detailed and well animated and different details about the battles like how many characters are doing what on screen are on that noticeable next level compared to the usual. I'd have to say it's one of the best if not maybe the best episode of the entire show due to it's high quality art and animation. It's certainly one of my favorites.

I looked it up on Anime News Network just to see if they would have it in their database due to some of the work being done in Japan and they do with Masami Obari shown as being the animation director singled out for this episode and Satoshi Urushihara shown as the other animation director on the show (and both on key animation).

I'll have to give that blog a look.

Little Witch Academia

Anyways, this was really fun to watch. I sure do love attractive anime. I'm very glad and pleased that this is the only magical girl anime I've even bothered to give the light of day (that has come out) in the past how-so-many odd years.

tumblr_mcgx6vozIT1ro8ba4o1_1280.png

Not having seen Sailor Moon (and apparently being glad about it...) makes Nafe very sad. :(

Well the average height for girls in Japan is like 5'2" so she is tall in comparison.

That's what I get for reading the thread afterwards. That said, I think I would have been more hyped to watch it if I knew it prior to watching that Yoko was in it, but it was a very nice surprise.

Yeah, Mio is only about 5'2" I think and she's supposed to be the tallest of the group as well right? I think in Hyouka Oreki is supposed to be 5'9" and Chitanda about 5'3" but I don't remember her looking a lot shorter than him visually in the show. Seeing Irisu stand with Oreki and she looks just shorter than him so that she would maybe be about 5'8" or 5'7".

Narag

I mentioned to Mad Pierrot a little while ago about having seen some of the show when I was younger like many people and around the second half of 2010(and maybe into 2011) I decided to go back and watch through the entire thing.

I still remember the episode titled "Call of the Primitives" because when I got to this episode there was just this immediate sense of "Whoah!". The production values and quality of the show seem on a whole other level in this episode. My first reaction was pretty much "Who were the staff on this episode" and if they spent much more money than usual.

Right away just the level of detailing on everyone seems much higher. There's that big robot that turns into a base called Metroplex and the Decepticons had a similar counterpart on their side which was a giant T-Rex kind of dinosaur and there's tons of detailing on it in just about every scene it appears in this episode. It's really quite noticeable when you watch the next episode or maybe it's the episode after and it appears again and it's just missing so many of those details now.

The explosions looked much more detailed and well animated and different details about the battles like how many characters are doing what on screen are on that noticeable next level compared to the usual. I'd have to say it's one of the best if not maybe the best episode of the entire show due to it's high quality art and animation. It's certainly one of my favorites.

I looked it up on Anime News Network just to see if they would have it in their database due to some of the work being done in Japan and they do with Masami Obari shown as being the animation director singled out for this episode and Satoshi Urushihara shown as the other animation director on the show (and both on key animation).

I'll have to give that blog a look.

Huh, didn't know the Urushihara thing. I was actually talking to a hardcore Transformers fan I knew that weekend I was going through Obari stuff and it was crazy how he was just automatically familiar with the ep (to the point of instantly recalling the title) due to the better production values. I agree with him it's a shame the entire show didn't look that nice.

Bakuman 3 - 24 & 25 (end)
tumblr_mkp5z7yYXJ1rpccmgo5_250.gif
tumblr_mkp5z7yYXJ1rpccmgo1_250.gif

Really awesome set of episodes to end the franchise. 24 was excellent at building the suspense and such over Reversi and the dilemna there and I really enjoyed it. In reality if it were a real series I would have hated it. Unfortunately, I guess, like characters in the anime, Id be of the same mindset as the kid readers
ie, Id want them to have had a friendship end, Swartz and Weiss to have become friends, not kill each other off in that final sacrificial blow in the middle of the streets
. I hope so much that their rumored next series IRL is not like that and is more in line with my favorite series in Bakuman, PCP. PCP would be one of the best series in Weekly Shonen Jack, IRL. Reversi's OP and ED were great, I guess one song was from OLDCODEX didnt catch the other as it was in cryptic JPN carvings and no vocals (hope full version on the soundtrack). One of the issues with Reversis is it looks too much like Deathnote, even the endcard rules around the contract, the main characters personality is like Light, that smirk. I wonder why they pursued this storyline for their series.

The actual anime ending was predictable as it was from the start of the Bakuman season 1
like would they really not have got married
. But it was so awkward and a blast on Saiko's part. Not the outcome I wanted but still worthwhile.

Ah one tiny minor moment for Nanamine
so glad he got a series in JACK SQ

Ill miss the franchise so much :( 9/10.

rpmurphy

Really, I must be the only one who thinks superstitions are as bullshit as premonitions, because I'm just astounded at the reaction to the new arc. lol
Mutta being superstitious (Agony of Doha, etc.) is more of a character flaw that I find adds an interesting aspect to his decision-making process in the show. I would be okay with the whole clairvoyance thing if there was actually a good reason for Amanti's premonitions, not just for the one obvious attempt to foreshadow some future event in the plot arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This was pretty much my reaction, on the inside anyway, to a dessert I tried recently. It was called Drumstick Dessert and kind of looked and was supposed to taste like a drumstick but it was more a piece or square you ate with a fork instead and it was super oishii!
But was it made by a guy that you're obviously in love with but are afraid to admit so?!

If you saw it and didn't reply that fine but I responded to your post before here in case you missed it.
Ahhhhhhhh, didn't see it!

Hey, PoeticProse22 is back!
Yeah it came across as kind of 50/50 so far. There seemed to be different shows like Saki and some others that you were all watching, or at least two of you to hold a conversation. Then there's times where you're explaining a show to the others or Crazy Canuck is the one explaining things. It did come across like Kurt wasn't watching as much though as he was usually asking questions about shows or making little jokes. He usually seemed to talk more when the conversation drifted to video games or things like when you guys talked about how anime is licensed and sold.
Hah, yeah. I'm almost wondering if we will have any crossover shows this season, because it's not like there's anything good to watch (if these first few shows are any indication). Having common ground would make things easier, but since we only do these things twice a week and we mostly shoot the shit for ourselves, so watching anime shouldn't feel like an obligation.

Here's that video I was talking about. It's about twelve minutes long and I think you'll really get a chuckle out of it. Things like "so far all I know about Destiny is it's a game where you slide around sunsets and reload weapons" haha. "Regular people don't use the word 'content'. Hey man I got some great content last night. Did you play any good content recently?"
Hah, well... of course, the problem is that they're also responsible for regurgitating those same points to their readers, because that's what video game media has to do. lol
I feel like we're still 30 years away from being able to talk about video games without at any point referring to the technology though. The average person doesn't care how a book is bound or what kind of Red camera some director used to shoot a film, yet here we are still talking about gimmicks in 2013 because the content is mostly shit.

Yeah, that's true enough I guess. You also seem to get kind of the character types too where somebody might be the genki one or somebody is more tsundere or something.
It's funny, because for the most part, all the character tropes are mostly reserved in jdrama form. They're still exaggerated, but the jdrama genki girl is not like the animu genki girl.

Defuser

Devil Survivor 2 ep 1

Kinda mixed feeling on this. Action with avatars with a step above Persona 4 but the rest of episode is average like Persona 4. And the MC wears a bunny hood :/

This shows needs a swagtastic Yu Narukami.

NeonZ

Someone explain to me why the hell THE CRAWLING CHAOS has his own anime.

Philemon would be disgusted.

Nyaruko_ep03_01_zpsdced0fe0.jpg

It's technically his sister's anime. The Black Pharaoh only appears in one or two episodes in the first season
killing the dreamland gods out of nowhere and then becoming a Team Rocket-like villain afterwards for some reason.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Majestic Prince] 01

The good: The CGI and everything involving CGI. Great action. The music too.

The bad:
Everything fucking else. Garish character designs, awful colour choices, cringing dialogue, the list goes on. I'm gonna take the Black Rock Shooter approach and just fast-forward anything hand-drawn for all the actual good bits.

Those fifteen minutes or so between the opening scene and the actual sortie had me annoyed and bored. It's obvious that the CGI portions are being prioritised over the rest, and as a result it feels like two different productions meshed together to form a weird chimaera that just doesn't have any identity.

edit: MOTHERFUCKER BOTTOM OF THE PAGE

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless she gets an episode where she duels, she basically pops up in the background, throws supportive words with a cat pun and that's about it.
Too bad. That's worse than Team Rocket!

Mutta being superstitious (Agony of Doha, etc.) is more of a character flaw that I find adds an interesting aspect to his decision-making process in the show. I would be okay with the whole clairvoyance thing if there was actually a good reason for Amanti's premonitions, not just for the one obvious attempt to foreshadow some future event in the plot arc.
The idea of good luck and bad luck has been a central motif for the show since the beginning though and has been used to basically prime all the major arcs. Even Hibito doesn't escape having "good luck" during his moon arc, if you want to think about it that way at least.

I mean, this is a show where everyone is speaking in English but they're still speaking in Japanese because it's a cartoon for kids, so maybe I've already suspended my disbelief and locked it in a box somewhere so that it doesn't escape. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom