• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Go back to league.
No, that's okay. GAF's League community is even worse than its anime community.
Jormungand was such a sloppy work though and absolutely unimpressive in every field except the writing which was a straight adaptation. I actually forgot this was a White Fox show while watching it.
It had good music.

wonzo

Banned
Cyclops Girl Saipu 5

cssaipu5.jpg

She's hungry for the onii-chan D.

I was just about to ask when's Aku no Hana start lol. Thanks wonzo.
I aim to please.

Anime saved in 9 hours.
*thumbsup*

pointless memes spewed 24/7.
just like your posting

Devil Survivor 2 1

this premise seems a little bit similar to the first game....

boobs rising revengereance.

Did they use cellphones in the game? I remember they used DS looking things in the first one.

This CG jellyfish lmfao.

anyhow production value is better than P4. Will keep watch for now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Ginga e Kickoff!!] 38
Giant robots with no real practicality? Sure, why not. Girls who make contracts with aliens to obtain magical superpowers to fight evil? Plausible. Balotelli and John Terry playing in the same team? Who the fuck came up with this bullshit!?

Nafe

Oh yeah, Narag, another neat bit of trivia about The Transformers animated movie is that Orson Welles did the voice for Unicron and it was apparently the last film he worked on before passing away.

Leonard Nimoy did the voice for Galvatron but unfortunately someone else then does the voice for him in the regular show. Maybe you already knew but I thought it was kind of interesting.

"Weird Al" Yankovic even has a song in the film and as part of the soundtrack,haha.

Jarmel

Banned
Hataraku Maou-sama 01-
ibsuQLjGcXTdp3.gif

This does feel like it's trying a bit too hard. The camera does some unnecessary angles at times and stuff like the fisheye lens really feels unnecessary. Even some of the music feels overdone compared to the actual scenes. That said, it's still a very impressive attempt and the comedic timing for a few of the jokes works fairly well. The music also really adds to the atmosphere and stands out. Weirdly enough, the whole thing reminds me of Fate/Zero with the music, atmosphere, and characters. On the note of characters, the lead softens up way too quickly and I wish he stayed an asshole for longer. The whole thing really does work though for the most part and washes out the stain that is Jormungand. We'll see if they can keep this up but I hope it becomes a bit more naturalistic in regards to tone.
I expected a lowbudget and poorly produced lighthearted comedy and what I got was a dark comedy with decent production values although overdone a little.

trejo

Majestic Prince 1

Hisashi Hirai is NOT a good character designer. Having said that, when my mind wasn't focusing on the fugliness of the characters on display I actually found this pretty damn entertaining, at least as far as introductory mecha show episodes go.

I find the slapsticky reaction faces to be dumb rather than funny more often than not and really distracting in the worst cases but still, if the alternative is boring serious delivery with boring serious (and ugly) faces then I think this is an acceptable compromise.

One could say I'm hopping aboard this season's Duckroll hype train for now, albeit still somewhat cautiously.

Nafe

Nafe is a goddamn encyclopedia.

Also, autocorrect wanted to change Nafe to Nader. For whatever that's worth.

Different ones have mentioned that before, haha.

I actually didn't even look any of that up aside from finding out that that was apparently Orson Welles last movie. He also apparently appeared in another movie that was released after his passing but he did his part before recording for Transformers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Majestic Prince 1

Hisashi Hirai is NOT a good character designer. Having said that, when my mind wasn't focusing on the fugliness of the characters on display I actually found this pretty damn entertaining, at least as far as introductory mecha show episodes go.

I find the slapsticky reaction faces to be dumb rather than funny more often than not and really distracting in the worst cases but still, if the alternative is boring serious delivery with boring serious (and ugly) faces then I think this is an acceptable compromise.

One could say I'm hopping aboard this season's Duckroll hype train for now, albeit still somewhat cautiously.

You motherfucker. You're lucky this is the internet.

Kuusoge

Majestic Prince 1

While I agree that the character design is bad, I thought the reaction faces were fine. It sets a fun tone for the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Just imagine, for a moment, if Little Witch Academia was as technically impressive as it is but Hirai Hisashi was responsible for the character designs. That would be enough conflict to tear apart one's very soul.

Tomat

I will fight every single one of you for saying bad things about the expressions and character designs in MJP. I swear to god I will.

Hataraku Maou-sama! 1

I like this. Have always been a fan of the "otherworldly evil beings adapting to everyday life" type of story. Wasn't planning on checking this out, but I think I'll keep up with it for now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My biggest problem with the comedy in Majestic Prince is that there's a certain rhythm to it that becomes very predictable. As in, main dude says something ludicrous, and then you instantly get four cuts of the rest of the gang reacting in a "gag face" to his dumb shit except it's not funny or cute at all.

CorvoSol

GAOGAIGAR 47

Or, as it should be called: When mecha was good, dammit. (Excluding Rin-ne, which was awesome and charming.)

So it turns out that the best way to kill a goddamn space angel hellbent on turning all the worlds into machines is to FLY INTO HIS HEAD AND BLOW HIS HEART UP. Which is basically the freaking coolest thing in the world. I mean, seriously, they fly in, smash up his insides, then MAKE HIS HEART EXPLODE. Can I stress enough how damn cool that is? SO COOL. It was so awesome Mikoto seems to have passed out from the sheer insanity of how cool it is.

I'm now 95% confident that Stallion and Swan White are Cersei and Jamie Lannister if the Lannisters had been kindly Americans.

Oh, and of course the Z-Master died saying "You have defeated us, HOWEVER . . . " Just lovely.

fertygo

My biggest problem with the comedy in Majestic Prince is that there's a certain rhythm to it that becomes very predictable. As in, main dude says something ludicrous, and then you instantly get four cuts of the rest of the gang reacting in a "gag face" to his dumb shit except it's not funny or cute at all.

Most comedy had not good groove at the beginning. The good one find and maintain it on the way.

Remain to be seen MJP can do that.

Karneval 01

The one thing that just fascinated me this entire episode was how this guy's bangs just held in place regardless of what gun action, building destroying, more gun action he was going through.
It even looks like train-hopping is the only thing that causes them to come apart and maybe it was cause he was gearing goggles but they return to form right afterwards.

It wasn't a bad first episode. A little bad on the whole telling what's going on with doing three different events happening but it did have good action. Nice flashy action. I like Mr.Blue as well since his first response to anything is to point his gun at them or throw some bombs. The mysterious shota is less as impressive.

Narag

Oh yeah, Narag, another neat bit of trivia about The Transformers animated movie is that Orson Welles did the voice for Unicron and it was apparently the last film he worked on before passing away.

Leonard Nimoy did the voice for Galvatron but unfortunately someone else then does the voice for him in the regular show. Maybe you already knew but I thought it was kind of interesting.

"Weird Al" Yankovic even has a song in the film and as part of the soundtrack,haha.

Don't forget Eric Idle as Wreck-Gar!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Ginga e Kickoff!!] 39
That was the dumbest finale I've ever seen, yet I loved every retarded second of it. It's football fanservice to the max, so if you are into the divegrass then you are gonna grin like a stupid motherfucker all the way through the end. A big of scrutiny, however, shows just how ridiculous the premise and execution was. There's no reason you should make your show unbelievable just because it's for kids.

Also, the rhetoric in this show is hilarious.
"You shouldn't foul! You didn't foul when you were little. That means you are not having fun!". No, you moron, how long have you been playing football? Have you ever watched a professional match? Fouling is totally acceptable within boundaries you stupid bitch. You were the ones who wanted to be all serious and crap against world class players, now eat your fucking double standards and grow some testicles (or ovaries).

So that's Ginga e Kickoff!!. When it was good it was really good, and the football sakuga was a joy to behold. Sadly, it adheres to some sports clichés that are far too egregious to ignore. I'll give it three out of five handballs, but it probably deserves less than that.

And so the quest for the perfect football anime continues. One with the realism of Giant Killing, the drama of Captain Tsubasa, and the animation of Ginga e Kickoff!!. Will the animation gods ever hear my pleas?

Jarmel

Banned
Majestic Prince 1-

Orange did a fantastic job and the composer did as well. The rest is garbage and seems pretty generic. The comedy did absolutely nothing for me and had me deadpanning. It doesn't seem well executed either in timing or actual material. Oh and good god at Hisashi. Most of the time, the designs are so horrid for the main characters I can't even pay attention to what they're saying. I'm just looking at their horribly disfigured faces. If he never designed characters again, I would be perfectly fine with that. It just doesn't work at all.

The whole thing feels very shallow and a way for Orange to show off.

cj_iwakura

Devil Survivor 2 1

this premise seems a little bit similar to the first game....

boobs rising revengereance.

Did they use cellphones in the game? I remember they used DS looking things in the first one.

This CG jellyfish lmfao.

anyhow production value is better than P4. Will keep watch for now.

Yes, the anime is spot-on, right down to the district title animations in the lower right.

And it's pretty different from DS1.

Jintor

Dare to be stupid

I get the feeling I should go look up some of Ebert's writings on anime movies he watched. Rad dude. I thought he'd be around forever, even with the cancer. :-/

trejo

While I agree that the character design is bad, I thought the reaction faces were fine. It sets a fun tone for the show.

Well, I do agree that if the alternative is something like Heroic Age or Linebarrels of Iron then, yes, this approach is the much, much more desirable one.

DiGiKerot

- someone asked whether he thought the CG techniques he'd employed in the film would eventually start making their way into popular TV anime like Bleach or Fairy Tail. Clearly whoever it was had never seen Kingdom :) Kamiyama felt that at present not only was the technique too expensive (he estimated that producing the film in this way had cost possibly four times as much as it would have done to produce it in traditional animation, even though the production process wasn't significantly longer than normal for an anime movie at around 2 years) but there simply aren't enough 3D animators in Japan to produce more work of this type.

I'm not sure if the specific nuance was that it was more four times as expensive, rather it took four times as much effort, which doesn't quite constitute the same thing. The way they constructed the scenes in that movie made it look like a compositing directors nightmare, though.

Jintor

Girls und Panzer [1-12] - fin

I liked this, much more than I expected. The horrid first episode with the first person CGI really turned me off but the show does get much much better and certainly has a flow to it that is both lightweight and entertaining at the same time. That said, it definitely has problems as well. There really doesn't seem to be any rules to Tankwondo other than some extremely generic ones and it doesn't feel that grounded as a sport compared to Probending in Korra. There also wasn't much in terms of strategic elements in regards to the tank themselves such as fuel or ammo shortages. The show certainly isn't that type to focus on the strategic elements such as these but the weird lipservice the dialogue gave at times was all that it amounted to. There was some serious plot armor around the school and the way they just stacked the odds got really ridiculous near the end. It ties somewhat into how there aren't really any rules in the sport, or if there are rules, the show does an awful job of detailing them. I also feel that a lot of the characters got the shaft in that they aren't developed to any proper degree even ones in the Anglerfish such as Saori or Mako. It feels very superficial in that regards. Still was a very fun show and the finale was a lot of fun and pretty epic near the end.

Also the way the other schools were presented is pretty awful. Hey let's have pizza representing Italy or tea time for the English. Coming off of Tamako's Market, this really stuck out.

I think Probending in Korra was stifled by its rules. It took all the creativity out of bending battles and turned it into an almost humdrum game of dodgeball.

I would have loved to see more supply line or ammo shortage stuff in GuP, but I think the skirmishes simply weren't large enough for that kind of thing. If there were multi-day large scale battles, that would be excellent. That said, I don't really understand what you mean by plot armour - the school generally got about as much damage as it dished out, with multiple tanks immobilised per match and some of them only winning because of the Flag Tank condition.

Lack of character development was, I suppose, inevitable in a show with a cast of around 25-30 or so, which is a pity. But it's not like you're really there to see the characters change, more for the character interaction. The type of show it is relies more on caricature than it does on realism, which is why the other schools (and indeed most of the characters of their own school - "Student Council Team", "Engineering Team" etc) are as they are.

duckroll

Okay, Majestic Prince is awesome. Went in knowing nothing about it besides "CG robots doing CG robot stuff." Completely surprised by how cool it was.

Started off as a "yeah robots doing robot stuff" but the quick introduction of the cast after the mock battle pretty much cemented my opinion on the show. I absolutely LOVE the facial expressions shown by the characters. The interactions between them are great, really fun stuff. This guy's shit eating grin is where the show started to get really fun.

Look at those fucking mechanics. LOOK AT THEM. I like the character designs, a lot. Cannot wait to see more of this show.

Lastly, I probably shouldn't even have to ask, but this shot served no other purpose than fan service right? Guess this show gonna have some :chet in it. This shot seemed so random I couldn't help but laugh. ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS GIRLS ASS ROBOTS.

p.s. yellow bot best bot (and sorry about the image spam)

See? At least someone here understands. Hirai is delivering on Majestic Prince, and once everyone else gets used to what the show is going for, you'll all see the light. That is, if you don't drop the show first. Which you won't. Because that would make me angry. And you don't like me when I'm angry.

Instro

Majestic Prince 1

Everything outside of the battle scenes was pretty bad, and I can only imagine that down time is going to increase as we go forward. The comedy was mostly way off, the character designs look pretty bizarre at times as well. It's weird though because at times I felt the designs really worked, and then at others I really disliked what I was seeing.

On the other hand the action is pretty awesome, the scene direction and cg animation gave tons of life to the show. What I really liked about the CG, which looked great btw, was the coloring and shading. It seemed to blend right into the backgrounds for the most part which really impressed me. The music and sound design was top notch as well, many of the sound effects were perfect for what was happening on screen.

Hard to say how I feel about the show right now, I feel like I will absolutely loath these characters and the writing which could make many episodes hard to watch in the future. They definitely got the pacing for this first episode right at least, although perhaps the brevity of many of the scenes contributed to my feelings about the parts in between the fighting.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Reactions faces are generally bad, most shows don't get them right. Variety is really key here, which is why Gintama excels at this, while stuff like One Piece completely flops since Oda just spams the same stupid jaw-drop every single time.

Kuusoge

Well, I do agree that if the alternative is something like Heroic Age or Linebarrels of Iron then, yes, this approach is the much, much more desirable one.

Agreed. The reactions are not amazing or even good, but they could've been a lot worse

Instro

See? At least someone here understands. Hirai is delivering on Majestic Prince, and once everyone else gets used to what the show is going for, you'll all see the light. That is, if you don't drop the show first. Which you won't. Because that would make me angry. And you don't like me when I'm angry.

The secret is that he's always angry.

Tomat

Good to know at least one other person enjoyed it! I'm seriously shocked to see so many people dislike it. With Jormungand I instantly knew there would be a lot of people who disliked it because the negative qualities of the show really stood out. I enjoyed Majestic Prince so much that I immediately thought "Wow I bet animeGAF is really gonna like this one!"

Jarmel

Banned
I think Probending in Korra was stifled by its rules. It took all the creativity out of bending battles and turned it into an almost humdrum game of dodgeball.

I would have loved to see more supply line or ammo shortage stuff in GuP, but I think the skirmishes simply weren't large enough for that kind of thing. If there were multi-day large scale battles, that would be excellent. That said, I don't really understand what you mean by plot armour - the school generally got about as much damage as it dished out, with multiple tanks immobilised per match and some of them only winning because of the Flag Tank condition.

Lack of character development was, I suppose, inevitable in a show with a cast of around 25-30 or so, which is a pity. But it's not like you're really there to see the characters change, more for the character interaction. The type of show it is relies more on caricature than it does on realism, which is why the other schools (and indeed most of the characters of their own school - "Student Council Team", "Engineering Team" etc) are as they are.

The thing with Probending though is that it felt like a sport. Sports come with tons of rules. Numbers of players, out of bounds, fouls, and time limits all seem missing. It just feels like a battlefield with none of the bite. There doesn't seem to be a way to handle people outside of their tanks and as they can just repair their tanks or scout without any real penalty. There are segments where the tanks are just willynilly destroying buildings without any interference by the judges. There isn't any guidance.

When I refer to plot armor, I mean the school winning the tournament as a whole when they really shouldn't have. The Russian battle is a perfect example where apparently Oarai didn't get massacred as they rushed out of that church. The last battle was much better as there were actual tactics involved and some real strategy.

I don't think they necessarily did a bad job with the large cast because it was enormous and they did flesh out some of the smaller teams to a little degree such as during the downtime before the final battle, but the teams still feel just there. The bigger issue is with Saori and Mako as they needed to be fleshed out more and the audience's perspective on their characters feels somewhat shallow. As for the caricatures, I kinda just had to swallow it and roll with it but it is somewhat in your face about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom