• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuusoge

Good to know at least one other person enjoyed it! I'm seriously shocked to see so many people dislike it. With Jormungand I instantly knew there would be a lot of people who disliked it because the negative qualities of the show really stood out. I enjoyed Majestic Prince so much that I immediately thought "Wow I bet animeGAF is really gonna like this one!"

I think it's mainly centered around the character design and facial reactions. Despite not liking the character design, I enjoyed the action sequences a lot. It's a good spectacle, and I most likely will watch it to the end.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 48

I.

WUT.

WUT.

WHY?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MY BRAIN CAN'T HANDLE THISSSSSSSSS. Most of this episode was a clip show, but I'm glad I didn't skip it because HOLY HELL ALL THAT FORESHADOWING I DIDN'T THINK WAS ANYTHING IS SUDDENLY THE CRAZIEST THING. They've been setting this up since before PASDAR was defeated. OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN.

duckroll

I honestly really like the diversity of designs in Majestic Prince and I'm happy that it doesn't try to mold itself into a style which is popular and "cool". The characters might look mostly ridiculous, but they're memorable, and it makes me feel that the world is a little more unique, and the tone is just... for lack of a better word... fun.

Case in point:
bD8QNVb.jpg

fertygo

The thing with Probending though is that it felt like a sport. Sports come with tons of rules. Numbers of players, out of bounds, fouls, and time limits all seem missing. It just feels like a battlefield with none of the bite. There doesn't seem to be a way to handle people outside of their tanks and as they can just repair their tanks or scout without any real penalty. There are segments where the tanks are just willynilly destroying buildings without any interference by the judges. There isn't any guidance.
But who cares, pro-bending are lame, easily the worst thing in Korra.
I don't think they necessarily did a bad job with the large cast because it was enormous and they did flesh out some of the smaller teams to a little degree such as during the downtime before the final battle, but the teams still feel just there. The bigger issue is with Saori and Mako as they needed to be fleshed out more and the audience's perspective on their characters feels somewhat shallow. As for the caricatures, I kinda just had to swallow it and roll with it but it is somewhat in your face about it.
If they fleshing out all that, we got less tank part which the most important thing.

All the effective bonding between viewer and the character are from the tank battle anyway, with all of their hijinks on cockpit make you want to root for them.

Do you actually care when they trying to give us backstory, mom's disapproval, etc? I certainly don't.

But the interaction in tank and their struggle does the business.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I honestly really like the diversity of designs in Majestic Prince and I'm happy that it doesn't try to mold itself into a style which is popular and "cool". The characters might look mostly ridiculous, but they're memorable, and it makes me feel that the world is a little more unique, and the tone is just... for lack of a better word... fun.

Case in point:

I really like that they had a different "theme" (whatever you want to call it) for each set of mechanics they showed off. I'm hoping that we get to see more of them in the show.

duckroll

Are you drunk?

Yeah let's be condescending! That'll work! :p

I really like that they had a different "theme" or whatever for each set of mechanics they showed off. I'm hoping that we get to see more of them in the show.

In an interview I read yesterday, the director said that the concept behind the support characters is that he thought of each of the pilots and their mech as part of a F1 team, with each pilot and mech having a pit crew of its own. Which is partly why there is such a large cast of characters. I think it's pretty cool, and the dynamics between the teams could be fun too.

Narag

In an interview I read yesterday, the director said that the concept behind the support characters is that he thought of each of the pilots and their mech as part of a F1 team, with each pilot and mech having a pit crew of its own. Which is partly why there is such a large cast of characters. I think it's pretty cool, and the dynamics between the teams could be fun too.

That sounds so good.

fertygo

GaoGaiGar 48

I.

WUT.

WUT.

WHY?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MY BRAIN CAN'T HANDLE THISSSSSSSSS. Most of this episode was a clip show, but I'm glad I didn't skip it because HOLY HELL ALL THAT FORESHADOWING I DIDN'T THINK WAS ANYTHING IS SUDDENLY THE CRAZIEST THING. They've been setting this up since before PASDAR was defeated. OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN.
GGG have surprisingly good writing.

Yeah I know its still mainly over the top show for kids, and its certainly have decent amount of asspull.

But many time the thought of "ah, this make sense" and "oh shit, its true" cross my mind quite often while watching, more than I thought its coming from super robot series.

Jintor

The thing with Probending though is that it felt like a sport. Sports come with tons of rules. Numbers of players, out of bounds, fouls, and time limits all seem missing. It just feels like a battlefield with none of the bite. There doesn't seem to be a way to handle people outside of their tanks and as they can just repair their tanks or scout without any real penalty. There are segments where the tanks are just willynilly destroying buildings without any interference by the judges. There isn't any guidance.

This would be great if probending was a video game or a thing in real life. As a plot-related thing in a show, it sucked, especially when compared to 'real stakes' bending (either in ATLA or in Korra). It brought no real tension and turned bending into dodgeball with magic missiles.

In a sports show, rules are only useful insofar as they define the boundaries of a game, but a key part of tankery appears to be that short of actually harming people there aren't really any boundaries. There's room to be creative. If you can repair your tanks on the move then go for it. Even the radio intercept in the first tournament match was technically legal, if not very honourable.

The only real part I feel where they really had any plot armour was actually in the American match because the Yankee commander only matched their force because she felt it wouldn't be 'fair' otherwise. The Russia match broke through the lines because, as Katushya explicitly mentions post-match, she hadn't prepared for them not to attack the 'weak spot' she left to try and bait them.

GuP's pit crew is the tank crew. Economic!

Jarmel

Banned
But who cares, pro-bending are lame, easily the worst thing in Korra.

Probending sucked for reasons other than the actual sport itself but rather the characters, drama, and time spent on it. They spent a lot of time actually thinking about how everything works and if you're going to create a fictional sport then I feel that time needs to be invested.

If they fleshing out all that, we got less tank part which the most important thing.

All the effective bonding between viewer and the character are from the tank battle anyway, with all of their hijinks on cockpit make you want to root for them.

Do you actually care when they trying to give us backstory, mom's disapproval, etc? I certainly don't.

But the interaction in tank and their struggle does the business.

Yes I wanted more backstory. The characters are the main part of the story and so knowing what drives them is crucial. I found the tank parts other than the last battle at the end, the worst part of the show.

fertygo

Yes I wanted more backstory. The characters are the main part of the story and so knowing what drives them is crucial. I found the tank parts other than the last battle at the end, the worst part of the show.

You watching different show :(

What's better than the tank park, the girl bathing and such?

I already know the backstory from Saki and countless show with same set-up, I don't need it again.

Probending sucked for reasons other than the actual sport itself but rather the characters, drama, and time spent on it. They spent a lot of time actually thinking about how everything works and if you're going to create a fictional sport then I feel that time needs to be invested.

The main appeal of GuP are how simple it is. People just easily watch it and sit.

We don't need textbook rules with sport that no one actually play it in real world.

Even HxH that actually bother about it, most of it actually not used in story.

Jintor

Well that makes sense because it takes a team to operate a tank in the first place! Damn, we really need a GuP S2 announcement soon. Soooo good.

I was really enjoying the dynamic of small teams needed to field major vehicles. It does mean a huge cast expansion, but I might have seen too much 'single dudes piloting single mech' shows in recent years.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 032
NTR shenanigans, Umino showing
and obtaining
true love, tokusatsu, and Sailor Lewd touching herself. There's never a dull moment here.

Tuxedo Mask ought to fight hand in hand more often.
Not even Street Fighter II? What a rip-off of an arcade!

Jarmel

Banned
This would be great if probending was a video game or a thing in real life. As a plot-related thing in a show, it sucked, especially when compared to 'real stakes' bending (either in ATLA or in Korra). It brought no real tension and turned bending into dodgeball with magic missiles.

In a sports show, rules are only useful insofar as they define the boundaries of a game, but a key part of tankery appears to be that short of actually harming people there aren't really any boundaries. There's room to be creative. If you can repair your tanks on the move then go for it. Even the radio intercept in the first tournament match was technically legal, if not very honourable.

I think skirting around boundaries though is part of creativity. Knowing what the limits are and trying to bypass it, is freedom as well. There is plenty of stuff in football, which is highly regulated, where coaches skirt or try to manipulate the rules. They just never established anything in regards to how the actual battles should work. I mean earlier they said the old rules allowed up to 10 tanks but then we have a battle with 20 tanks. It feels completely lopsided in regards to the rules. You shouldn't be able to field twice as many players as the opposing team.

I mean the radio intercept is a perfect example. It seems it would be ridiculously easy to cheat if cellphones are allowed as you can have your friend watching the monitor in the stage tell you the positions of the enemies.

The only real part I feel where they really had any plot armour was actually in the American match because the Yankee commander only matched their force because she felt it wouldn't be 'fair' otherwise. The Russia match broke through the lines because, as Katushya explicitly mentions post-match, she hadn't prepared for them not to attack the 'weak spot' she left to try and bait them.

Yea I had issues with the American match as well but I can brush that off because people can be really stupid when it comes to honor. Katushya however had them all bunched up in a church with exactly one exit point and more than enough tanks to obliterate them as they came out. It's a really bad case of Stormtrooper aim.

yami4ct

Case in point:

The mechanics part was especially great. Probably the funniest scene in the episode. And I totally agree, the characters work because they have personality. The designs may not be super pretty, but they're distinguishable. They also give you a good idea of who these characters are before they even open their mouths.

Instro

Case in point:

The side/background characters in general have more appealing designs honestly. The main's seem to shift around a lot to different looks, and don't always look good.

Taruranto

Hataraku Maou-Sama! #1 - Why can't it be the Burger King for once?

I hope they don't read Nasu novels...

Well, this was a surprise, both in quality and in tone. Definitely funny stuff, and it's only 13 episodes long. The next episode preview showed some fanservice, hopefully they keep it down.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How come in anime they say "nyan"? Cats don't say nyan. They say meow. Onomonopaeias are not negotiable.
They are translatable, sort of. Like, say woof would be guau in Spanish, and wan in Japanese. It's nothing but cultural differences when choosing to transcribe everyday sounds.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Japanese cats say nyaa!
To be serious, cats don't actually say "meow" or "nyan". They make a noise which our respective cultures have represented with those words. If you actually spend more than two seconds thinking about the various animal sound words, you'd realize that they don't match up to what the actual noise is.

Yahari 01

I hate the character designs for this show. Especially the main character. It's really throwing off my enjoyment of the show since he just looks so stupidly off. It's like they aren't even trying to have him look like how the LN or the manga does it.

Besides that, decent adaptation. They definitely are skipping a lot of stuff especially in dialogue between characters even if this show is already a dialogue-heavy show. This is also a lot more active and has nice comedic gags that makes it nice to see too.

But, ugh the character designs.

Jintor

I think skirting around boundaries though is part of creativity. Knowing what the limits are and trying to bypass it, is freedom as well. They just never established anything in regards to how the actual battles should work. I mean earlier they said the old rules allowed up to 10 tanks but then we have a battle with 20 tanks. It feels completely lopsided in regards to the rules. You shouldn't be able to field twice as many players as the opposing team.

I mean the radio intercept is a perfect example. It seems it would be ridiculously easy to cheat if cellphones are allowed as you can have your friend watching the monitor in the stage tell you the positions of the enemies.

I was under the impression the further up the tournie ladder you went the more tanks you were allowed the field, so the final match was supposed to be a full scale skirmish except their academy could only afford the 7 or 8 tanks or whatever. The thing is, you don't need to know anything to have interesting tank battles in the same way I don't need to know the in and out intricacies of soccer to be excited watching a decent match. And 'offside' rules or property destruction limits would feel out of place in Tankery, which is apparently meant to emulate as much as possible an actual battlefield (although they do seem to avoid gratuitous property damage, probably just because it's inefficient).

As for the cell phones... I don't know. I assume it was fine because they only contacted within the tank crews to relay commands. That should probably go to a review board though. :3

Yea I had issues with the American match as well but I can brush that off because people can be really stupid when it comes to honor. Katushya however had them all bunched up in a church with exactly one exit point and more than enough tanks to obliterate them as they came out. It's a really bad case of Stormtrooper aim.

Watching the episode again, Katushya's initial firepower stormtrooper burst looks like it's meant to herd them towards her pincer arm, but the Student Council tank draws a lot of their firepower as it charges and lets the rest break through around them. If you imagine the bulk of her forces covering the 'weak point' and her stormtrooper guard struggling to reload and re-aim at targets not heading for the place you predicted at the same time, it becomes a lot more understandable.

Tomat

Why can't Japan just speak English and use our bullshit sound words instead of their own bullshit sound words?

I swear you were waiting in the shadows to respond to something in this thread.

duckroll

The side/background characters in general have more appealing designs honestly. The main's seem to shift around a lot to different looks, and don't always look good.

Wolf-boy is the best of the main characters. The lead is too idealistic/shounen power, his main rival seems to have a stick up his ass all the time, the two girls are opposite sides of the trying-too-hard spectrum. But wolf-boy. Look at him. Look at his expressions. Look at his face. Look at his HAIR. Lol. The entire time, it was like he auditioned for the wrong show and got trapped in it, and you can feel his rage and frustration. It was hilarious all the way!
And in the end when he was in his mech, you can even say that he lost his head for a moment there! LOL!

Jex

But then you are using a dash there! Now it looks like you are watching episode negative one!

I'm not a totalitarian. You can use a : or just a space. It's totally up to you! Luckily there aren't any shows with -1 episode's so that problem never arises.

Tomat

Wolf-boy is the best of the main characters. The lead is too idealistic/shounen power, his main rival seems to have a stick up his ass all the time, the two girls are opposite sides of the trying-too-hard spectrum. But wolf-boy. Look at him. Look at his expressions. Look at his face. Look at his HAIR. Lol. The entire time, it was like he auditioned for the wrong show and got trapped in it, and you can feel his rage and frustration. It was hilarious all the way!
And in the end when he was in his mech, you can even say that he lost his head for a moment there! LOL!

We're talking about the orange haired kid right? He gets the best robot for sure. That little transformation sequence where the robot's head slid over after he lined up his gun was awesome.

Reknoc

Devil Survivor 2 - 1

Seems cool, haven't played the game though so this is all new to me. Like, what is with that guys bunny ears hood? What a twat.

Around 4 seconds of anime Pixie 10/10

duckroll

We're talking about the orange haired kid right? He gets the best robot for sure. That little transformation sequence where the robot's head slid over after he lined up his gun was awesome.

Yes, he's the only one who looks like a dog/wolf-person! :D

CorvoSol

GAO GAI GAR END

I honestly couldn't come up with a more satisfying ending to so strong a second half. I won't deny that in the beginning of this show, when it was monster of the week, I wasn't too sure. That second half, though, was worth the wait, and the ending really paid off. A bonafide miracle from God pulls through to heal the big wounds of the series, the brave robots are saved, the hero rides off into the sunset, the hero gets the girl, it's all here in this episode.

Oh, and pliers. So many pliers.

So now I should watch GaoGaiGar Final and then Betterman, right?

Also I'll join you all in watching Majestic Prince, but I'll probably be a little behind. Sadly, G and GGG were the calm before my storm. As tomorrow I will be finishing up 00, and possibly the movie. You see, I need to stay up all night tomorrow so I can finish my research paper. Thus, anger will be my key.

yami4ct

To be serious, cats don't actually say "meow" or "nyan". They make a noise which our respective cultures have represented with those words. If you actually spend more than two seconds thinking about the various animal sound words, you'd realize that they don't match up to what the actual noise is.

It even varies from cat to cat. One of my cat makes a sound that can only be described as Ra-ow. While my other cat is clearly saying "no" all the time. All onomatopoeias are sort of bull shit.

Going in, I thought I'd absolutely HATE wolf boy. He clearly looked like the worst character. Boy, was I wrong. He's clearly the best.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm not a totalitarian. You can use a : or just a space. It's totally up to you! Luckily there aren't any shows with -1 episode's so that problem never arises.
How about instead of using episode numbers we use episode titles. Yes, even the ones that spoil the episode's major events!

Jarmel

Banned
I was under the impression the further up the tournie ladder you went the more tanks you were allowed the field, so the final match was supposed to be a full scale skirmish except their academy could only afford the 7 or 8 tanks or whatever. The thing is, you don't need to know anything to have interesting tank battles in the same way I don't need to know the in and out intricacies of soccer to be excited watching a decent match. And 'offside' rules or property destruction limits would feel out of place in Tankery, which is apparently meant to emulate as much as possible an actual battlefield (although they do seem to avoid gratuitous property damage, probably just because it's inefficient).

As for the cell phones... I don't know. I assume it was fine because they only contacted within the tank crews to relay commands. That should probably go to a review board though. :3

Watching the episode again, Katushya's initial firepower stormtrooper burst looks like it's meant to herd them towards her pincer arm, but the Student Council tank draws a lot of their firepower as it charges and lets the rest break through around them. If you imagine the bulk of her forces covering the 'weak point' and her stormtrooper guard struggling to reload and re-aim at targets not heading for the place you predicted at the same time, it becomes a lot more understandable.

That was my assumption as well. They never properly stated it though so it's more a general inference than anything else. I mean you obviously don't need to know the ins and outs to watch a basketball game but if someone literally carried a basketball across the court without dribbling, it would seem weird. Some of the stuff that happens in the show doesn't feel grounded in a real life battle and doesn't seem to work as a sport. In a real battle, everything goes but that also includes killing your opponent so they can't scout for information. I understand that much of the technicalities and real life limits were not a focus of the show but it still felt off to me.

Katushya's strategy in the first place still seemed unnecessary in that they should have been able to nail at least most of the tanks exiting that church if they concentrated their firepower. It wasn't as if the timing was weird or something of that nature. I was hoping for some actual strategy on Miho's part like a block on the part of one of the tanks are blowing a hole in the back of the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom