• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go-go-go Page 5!

I went to the farmer's market this morning and took a few pictures.
Food pr0n!
I'll post later when I get home.

Wow, page 5!

So many great recipes from everyone!

I've been MIA since I've been sick for the past week. I've mostly been eating chicken soup when eating at all. But I'm feeling better now, and have my appetite back.

I can't remember if anyone has had many breakfast recipes. Has anyone? Phoenix Dark's hash brown question from a couple pages ago got me thinking that I should cook a big breakfast soon, and that's what we did this Saturday morning. We had some friends and their two children over to our house.

For breakfast we had

Apple Pancake

Corned Beef Hash

Scrambled Eggs

Bacon

Chocolate Chip Scones

All served with toast, orange juice and coffee, of course

I did a slight variation of OnkleC's great Apple Pancakes:

I won't post the whole recipe since OnkelC has it covered in his post. Just a few in the making of. The main difference is that I put the skillet into the oven at 425 until the pancake had risen (about 15 min. or so). Then I flipped it over onto the plate. I didn't use confectioners' sugar or cinnamon on it, but instead drizzled some maple syrup on it. Sacrilege! :)

P1010169.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Corned Beef Hash

Ingredients:

4 medium potatoes
2 bay leaves
4 ounces bacon, chopped fine
1 onion, chopped medium
1 green pepper, diced
1 pound corned beef, cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
6 large eggs

Prepare everything. Corned beef:

P1010098-2.jpg

P1010099-5.jpg

Bacon:

P1010100-3.jpg

P1010102-3.jpg

Potatoes:

P1010123.jpg

P1010126.jpg

Green pepper:

P1010128.jpg

P1010129.jpg

Thyme and garlic:

P1010136.jpg

P1010141.jpg

Bring the potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, bay leaves, and 6 cups of water to a simmer in a pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 4 minutes. Then drain the potatoes.

P1010131.jpg

P1010147.jpg

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until the fat has partially rendered, about 4 minutes. Then add the onion and cook until browned at the edges.

P1010149.jpg

Add the corned beef, garlic, and thyme and cook for about 30 seconds.

P1010151.jpg

P1010152.jpg

Stir in the potatoes and green pepper and lightly press the mixture into the pan.

P1010153.jpg

P1010155.jpg

Pour the cream and Tabasco over the hash and cook undisturbed for 4 minutes.

P1010156.jpg

P1010157.jpg

Using a spatula, flip over the hash a portion at a time and lightly repack into the skillet. Repeat this process every few minutes until the hash is partially crisp and the potatoes are thoroughly cooked, about 8 minutes longer.

Make six indentations in the hash and crack an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle with salt and pepper .

P1010161.jpg

P1010163.jpg

Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pan. Cook until the eggs are just set, about 5 minutes.

P1010164.jpg

P1010173.jpg

Cut the hash into 6 wedges around the eggs, and serve!

P1010001-1.jpg

Chocolate Chip Scones

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes and chilled
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream

Adjust the oven rack to the middle position, and heat it to 450 degrees. Pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a food processor to combine, about 6 pulses. Scatter the butter evenly over teh top and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal with a few slightly larger butter lumps, about 12 pulses.

Add the chocolate chips and quickly pulse once to combine. Transfer the dough to a large bowl. Stir in the cream with a rubber spatula until the dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.

Turn the dough and any floury bits out onto a floured counter and knead until it forms a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds. Press the dough into a 9 inch cake pan.

P1010113.jpg

Unmold the dough and cut into wedges. Place the wedges on an ungreased baking sheet (I used my Silpat).

P1010114-1.jpg

Bake until the scone tops are light brown, 12 top 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.

P1010116-1.jpg

Done!

P1010118.jpg

I didn't take any photos of the scrambled egg process. It's just your basic scrambled eggs with some onions mixed in.

P1010135.jpg

Bacon tip! Cook your bacon in the oven!

In the oven? Bacon fried in a pan inevitably cooks unevenly. One side is often darkly browned while the other might be undercooked. Spread out the bacon on a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet from front to back about halfway through. The bacon will crisp up evenly, and as a bonus, you can cook a lot more at one time! Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and let the excess fat drain off before serving.

P1010125.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Meanwhile we also cooked up some sausages.

P1010119.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010005.jpg

In the downtime while waiting for things to cook, we prepared some coffee.

P1010150.jpg

P1010166.jpg

P1010159.jpg

And enjoyed a scone with our coffee.

P1010168.jpg

While listening to the radio.

P1010167.jpg

My cats thought they were going to get breakfast, too. The were wrong. :)

P1010011.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

Finally our guests arrived, and it was time to eat!

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010020-1.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

My friends son had fun with his breakfast. A bacon and cantelope smiley face:

P1010016.jpg

Stacking the cantelope:

P1010026.jpg

And annoying his sister:

P1010021-1.jpg

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Phew! I think that's it!

I knew this was going to be a long post, but I think it turned out a lot longer than I expected. I hope you all enjoyed our breakfast!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid, that's a breakfast fit for kings and queens! Thanks for sharing. Good to hear that you recovered.
I like the scones a lot, will definitely try them out.
On a side note, that is one interesting baking sheet, is it made out of silicone? We normally use paper ones.

valparaiso said:
are those kësëspëtzlë, onkel? (disclaimer: my german may or may not be excellent.)
:lol, they were ordinary Spätzle, added cheese would have killed the subtle taste of the other ingredients. Käsespätzle look like this:
smallCIMG4365.jpg

Fillet with plums recipe is next, stay tuned.

364484291_14216b4a75.jpg

Chicken Burger:
1/2lb (227g)Minced Chicken Thigh
Burger buns
1 Large onion
1 Large tomato
Pickles (any type and amount to taste)
Lettuce (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Garlic (to taste)
Bell Pepper
Pepper (to taste)
Cheese (optional)
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
Butter

Dice up the bell pepper. Cut the onion in half. Finely dice up half A. Slice half B to desired thickness. Smash up 1 clove of garlic. Add the diced bell pepper, smashed garlic and diced onions to the minced chicken. Add a pinch of salt and pepper then mix well. Divide the meat mixture into two equal amounts and flatten out into two patties. Add a bit of oil to a large fry pan and cook the meat. You'll want to make sure both sides are brown and that the meat is cooked all the way through but not so that it becomes tough to eat.

Mix the ketchup, mustard, and mayo to taste. Put it off to the side.

Put a little butter into a second fry pan and heat it. Toss in the burger buns and lightly toast them.

Final Assembly:
Take a spoon and rub the ketchup mustard mayo mixture onto buns. Place the meat onto the bottom bun and if you want cheese put that on top of the meat. Add lettuce, tomato, and onion then top it off with the top bun.

French Fries
Sliced Potatoes
Salt
Basil
Oregano
Black Pepper
Paprika
2tbsp Olive oil

Mix salt, basil, oregano, pepper, paprika and olive oil in a large bowl. Slide potatoes into the bowl and mix well. Set oven to 450-475F (230-245C) and bake for 40-45 minutes flipping once at the half way point.

Thanks, OnkleC, Tom F'n Cruise and Jacobi! :)

ddk_ps3 said:
a bunch of stuff

Seems good, but if you've looked at the first four pages of this thread, you should have noticed that this thread is all about taking pictures to illustrate your dishes. Anyone can post a bunch of text.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Thanks, OnkleC, Tom F'n Cruise and Jacobi! :)

Seems good, but if you've looked at the first four pages of this thread, you should have noticed that this thread is all about taking pictures to illustrate your dishes. Anyone can post a bunch of text.

I asked him to put it up nonetheless. you can see the result in the link he posted.

Edit:
I am fine with every contribution, as long as it is homemade and shows some effort. The more pics the better, but I can understand if people, especially beginners, are too occupied with cooking to take pics of the process.
A detailed and well-documented preparation process shows the true affection for all things Chef, though ;)

Keep'em coming!

OnkelC said:
I asked him to put it up nonetheless. you can see the result in the link he posted.

Edit:
I am fine with every contribution, as long as it is homemade and shows some effort. The more pics the better, but I can understand if people, especially beginners, are too occupied with cooking to take pics of the process.
A detailed and well-documented preparation process shows the true affection for all things Chef, though ;)

Keep'em coming!

Okay, my apologies, ddk.

I overlooked the link at the top of his post, too. My bad.

OnkelC said:
On a side note, that is one interesting baking sheet, is it made out of silicone? We normally use paper ones. .

Yes, it's a silicone baking mat.. "Silpat". It's wonderful, and I would recommend it to anyone who bakes or cooks a lot.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I saw a dish on a TV show that I wanted to try out, a Kebab from pork fillet with prunes and bacon. UNfortunately, I recognized that we ran out of kebab picks immediately before preparation, so we had to improvise a bit. I opted for fillet medaillons with parma-wrapped prunes instead. Also, the Röstis were dumped in favor of some Spätzle pasta (lazyass me).

I took the ingredients picture immedieately after shopping, so it resembles the original thought.
The ingredients for two persons are:
smallCIMG4564.jpg

one pork fillet,
sundried prunes after personal taste and appetite,
one slice of bacon or smoked ham per prune,
one toothpick per prune,
Port or Cognac as desired,
some cream,
mixed herbs (I went with Marjorie, Thyme and Taragon), salt and pepper (not pictured)

side dish of choice (Rice, potatoes as well as pasta will go fine with this dish).

Preparation is simple and fast, it took about 45 minutes from starting the pasta water to first bite.

First, heat the pasta water. Roll the dried prunes in a slice of ham and fix it with a toothpick, spice with some thyme:
smallCIMG4570.jpg

smallCIMG4571.jpg

smallCIMG4583.jpg

Remove the tendons from the fillet, cut it in even medaillons, flatten them from the cut side with a knife, spice them with salt, pepper and the other herbs:
smallCIMG4580.jpg

smallCIMG4581.jpg

smallCIMG4582.jpg

smallCIMG4586.jpg

The pasta water shold be boiling right now. Start the noodles:
smallCIMG4584.jpg

Now severely heat a (preferably, I don't want to be called a wussy again ;)) cast-iron skillet until it starts smoking, add some neutral oil and fry the medaillons until they get an intensive dark brown colour. After you added the fillets, you can reduce the heat in the pan to 2/3 of max heat:
smallCIMG4588.jpg

smallCIMG4589.jpg

When the fillets are done, set them aside and fry the prunes in the pan from all sides until the bacon/ham gets crunchy:
smallCIMG4590.jpg

smallCIMG4591.jpg

Finish Line:
Deglaze the pan with spirits of choice (we went with some Port):
smallCIMG4567.jpg

smallCIMG4592.jpg

Add some cream and let it reduce until there are only 2 or three tablespoons of sauce left in the pan (pure concentrated taste); add the juices from the fillets as a finishing touch:
smallCIMG4593.jpg

DONE!

Serve on a plate and sprinkle some of the sauce/essence over:

smallCIMG4594.jpg

smallCIMG4596.jpg

smallCIMG4598.jpg

Enjoy!

Edit:
Philadelphia cheesecake is next.

Leatherface

I can't cook worth shit but this thread is giving me some inspiration. Thanks for all the awesome recipes guys!

Maybe I can finally ween myself off of Chef BoyRdee lol.

ChryZ

Holy crap, page #5 is turning out to be some kind of cooking armageddon.

So it's time to join the fun ... I made:

Fajitas De Pollo (homemade corn tortillas with chicken and roasted veggies)
Arroz A La Mexicana (traditional Mexican red rice)
Frijoles Negros (black beans in their broth with epazote)

Fajitas_De_Pollo.jpg

ingredients #1 (chicken and roasted veggies)

5 X chicken breast (sliced into strips)
1 X zucchini (sliced into strips)
1 X red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
1 X yellow bell pepper (sliced into strips)
1 X garlic bulb (beheaded)
2 X red onion (halved)
2 X red chile (sliced)
1 CUP sour cream
1/2 CUP cilantro
1 TBSP salt and pepper (to taste)

ingredients #2 (chicken marinade)

4 TBSP tequila
2 TBSP line juice
1 TBSP peanut oil
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TBSP chili flakes
1 TBSP celery seed powder
2-4 TBSP salt & pepper (to taste)

ingredients #3 (homemade corn tortillas, skip if store-bought)

200 G masa harina (7 oz, corn flour prep'd with lime calcium oxide)
1-2 CUP water (warm)

ingredients #4 (traditional Mexican red rice)

1 X red chile (sliced)
1 X white onion (quartered)
1 X garlic clove
1 CUP uncooked long grain rice
2 CUP tomato puree or whole with juice
1 CUP carrot (diced)
1 CUP frozen or fresh peas
1 CUP chicken broth (any stock/broth will do or just plain water)
4-6 TBSP veg or olive oil
1 TSP salt and pepper (to taste)

ingredients #5 (black beans in their broth with epazote)

500 G black beans (~1 lbs)
2 X white onion (minced)
2 X garlic clove (mashed
4-8 CUP water (warm)
4-8 CUP water (boiling)
1 CUP cheese (something mild and firm, ground)
2 TBSP lard
2 TBSP dried epazote (ground)
2-4 TBSP tomato extract
1-4 TSP salt (to taste)

ingredients #6 (guacamole)

3 X avocado (cored, fork mashed)
2-3 TBSP garlic powder (to taste)
2-3 TBSP onion powder (to taste)
4-6 TBSP line juice (to taste)
2-3 TSP salt and pepper (to taste)

wash the black beans, then blanch them with boiling water and let them soak for an hour

Fajitas_De_Pollo_01.jpg

drain the soaking water, get a pot or slow cooker ready

Fajitas_De_Pollo_02.jpg

add beans to cooking vessel, cover generously with water, then add lard and onions

Fajitas_De_Pollo_03.jpg

cook for 8 hours (low) or 4 hours (high) in case of a slow cooker,
otherwise they should be done by 90 min on a stove (medium heat, simmering),
add epazote and garlic when the beans are almost done, keep cooking until right

Fajitas_De_Pollo_04.jpg

remove some bean broth so that they are just covered, add a cup of beans and tomato extract to a blender

Fajitas_De_Pollo_05.jpg

blend until completely smooth, return bean puree to the cooking vessel

Fajitas_De_Pollo_06.jpg

season with salt and pepper, stir well then set aside for later

Fajitas_De_Pollo_07.jpg

time to prep the rice, add all ingredients #4 to a blender (except broth, carrots, peas and oil)

Fajitas_De_Pollo_08.jpg

blend until smooth, season to taste with salt and pepper

Fajitas_De_Pollo_09.jpg

heat a pan or pot with lots of surface, heat oil, sir-fry the rice until lightly browned

Fajitas_De_Pollo_10.jpg

then add the diced carrots and saute for a moment

Fajitas_De_Pollo_11.jpg

add seasoned tomato puree and stir-fry until it's almost dry

Fajitas_De_Pollo_12.jpg

add chicken stock, stir well, lower heat, then cover the pan, the rice should be done in around 15-20 min

Fajitas_De_Pollo_13.jpg

keep an eye on the bottom of the pan, the rice/sauce mix shouldn't be sticking nor burning

Fajitas_De_Pollo_14.jpg

add 2/3 of the peas when the rice is done, stop the burner and cover for another 5 min
(the remaining heat will steam the peas to perfection)

Fajitas_De_Pollo_15.jpg

transfer the finished rice to a serving bowl and add the remaining peas

Fajitas_De_Pollo_16.jpg

prep the chicken marinade and slice the chicken

Fajitas_De_Pollo_17.jpg

marinade the chicken at room temperature (30 min is plenty) or refrigerated for up to 24h

Fajitas_De_Pollo_18.jpg

prep the guacamole in the meantime, core avocados, spoon out the flesh, mix, mash and
season with the remaining guacamole ingredients, set aside with cores in it

Fajitas_De_Pollo_19.jpg

the homemade corn tortillas are next, first place the masa harina in a bowl

Fajitas_De_Pollo_20.jpg

add little by little some of the warm water and mix well, don't get the dough too sticky

Fajitas_De_Pollo_21.jpg

knead the dough with your hands when the masa absorbed enough water, form a ball

Fajitas_De_Pollo_22.jpg

cover the bowl with some wet paper or kitchen towel, let it rest for 30 min

Fajitas_De_Pollo_23.jpg

cut a plastic bag into one long broadband foil (hehe) and cover the tortilla press with it,
take some dough and form a small ball and pet onto the middle of the foiled press

Fajitas_De_Pollo_24.jpg

close the press and the raw tortilla is ready for pan frying

(it takes some practice to find out how much dough will get the best results,
too little dough and the tortilla will get too small and thin, I ended up using
scale and 70 grams (2.4 oz) were the sweet spot for my 20 cm (~8") press)

Fajitas_De_Pollo_25.jpg

heat a non-sticking pan, detach the tortilla from the foil onto your fingers, then slide it into the hot pan

Fajitas_De_Pollo_26.jpg

wait for it to puff up and turn until done, they should be lightly browned but also still flexible

Fajitas_De_Pollo_27.jpg

wrap the finished tortillas into a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm

Fajitas_De_Pollo_28.jpg

repeat until all the dough is gone, then wash and ready the veggies from ingredients #1

Fajitas_De_Pollo_29.jpg

prep the veggies, spread them out on a roasting rack, drizzle some veg oil on top and season with s&p

Fajitas_De_Pollo_30.jpg

roast the veggies at medium to high heat

Fajitas_De_Pollo_31.jpg

broil/grill the chicken in the meantime (BBQ pan in this case)

Fajitas_De_Pollo_32.jpg

only one flip since the strips are thin, wait for pinkness to disappear

Fajitas_De_Pollo_33.jpg

flip and let cook through, let the meat rest in a covered serving bowl when done

Fajitas_De_Pollo_34.jpg

remove the roasted veggies from the oven, slice the red onions and transfer everything to a serving bowl

Fajitas_De_Pollo_35.jpg

mash the roasted garlic and mix it with half a cup of sour cream, season with salt/pepper,
mix the second half of the sour cream with chopped cilantro and also season with s&p

Fajitas_De_Pollo_36.jpg

reheat the rice and beans and it's time to eat:

pick a tortilla, fill it as you like with veggies, chicken, guacamole and/or sour cream,
wrap it up, enjoy with rice and some black beans topped with cheese on the side

¡Buen apetito!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Leatherface said:
I can't cook worth shit but this thread is giving me some inspiration. Thanks for all the awesome recipes guys!

Maybe I can finally ween myself off of Chef BoyRdee lol.
Thank you for the feedback, it's what keeps us going:)

ChryZ, Armageddon sounds fitting :lol
Very fine dish! The "core on guacarmole trick" is amazing.

So, let's... I dont know how to call it, as the preparation of the following cake involves no baking at all, only heating the jelly a bit? :lol

let's PREPARE a Philadelphia cheesecake. It is a basic cake recipe that tastes deelish and can be made using a common fridge.

The ingredients are:
smallCIMG4559.jpg

For the topping
400 grams of cream cheese (guess the brand),
2 cans (400ml) of heavy cream,
200 grams of sugar,
1 pack of lemon-flavored jelly (Jell-O?),
juice from 2 to 3 lemons (depending on size)

For the bottom layer:
200 grams of ladyfingers,
125 grams of butter,

tangerines for decoration.

First, cube the butter, grind the ladyfingers and knead them for five minutes:
smallCIMG4614.jpg

smallCIMG4615.jpg

smallCIMG4617.jpg

smallCIMG4618.jpg

smallCIMG4619.jpg

Pour it into a spring form and spread it out evenly with a spoon, applying a fair amount of pressure:
smallCIMG4620.jpg

smallCIMG4621.jpg

smallCIMG4623.jpg

Now prepare the filling; mix 100 grams of sugar with the cream cheese until it gets homogenous, then add the lemon juice and mix on:
smallCIMG4628.jpg

smallCIMG4631.jpg

smallCIMG4633.jpg

Now prepare the jelly according to package, but only use half of the suggested amount of water:
smallCIMG4624.jpg

smallCIMG4625.jpg

smallCIMG4626.jpg

Whip the cream:
smallCIMG4634.jpg

Mix the jelly and cream with the cheese, then pour it on the base:
smallCIMG4635.jpg

smallCIMG4635.jpg

smallCIMG4637.jpg

smallCIMG4639.jpg

smallCIMG4640.jpg

Put it in the fridge until serving:
smallCIMG4641.jpg

More to come! stay tuned.

Great stuff by everyone here. I like the look of that breakfast, heavy liquid. Am I correct that there's a big influence from America's Test Kitchen? Cooking armageddon, indeed. To further the cause of the culinary apocalypse, I've got a few pics and a recipe to share.

First, I might a trip to the farmer's market at the Ferry Building here in San Francisco on Saturday morning. Pics by me and my gf.

Rotisserie Chicken! Just like the ones from France. I love the potatoes from underneath that have been sitting in chicken grease. Yum!
364264947_1a311c669f.jpg

The bins at the mushroom dealer.
364260040_ac363c565c.jpg

Cheese at the Cowgirl Creamery.
364256399_3641045882.jpg

Fresh bread at the Acme Bread Co.
364252394_9ab1a66387.jpg

They have some crazy vegetables and fruits. I have no idea what this is...
364249918_58d4fadc69.jpg

Avocados!
364245624_51f08f236f.jpg

The menu at the outdoor grill
364234784_a8e21603c0.jpg

Breakfast - farm fresh eggs, tomato, and bacon on a fresh-baked baguette. It was delicious.
364239437_3fa5c4d160.jpg

It was a great trip to the market. I ended up coming home with fresh bread, two cheeses, some avocados, brussel sprouts, red potatoes, and a few kitchen implements.

Okay, onto some cooking!

Tuna Tartar

This recipe was created by my brother-in-law. Be sure to get extremely fresh ingredients (particularly the tuna), otherwise it isn't worth it. I got some "sushi grade" tuna from a local market. It was more or less straight off the boat. The avocados were from the farmer's market.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb sushi grade tuna cubed into small pieces)
1/2 fresh avocado, diced
3 green onions, diced
1 serrano chile, diced
1 tablespoon of fresh ground ginger
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
poppadom chips (or similar)

Just mix it all up in a bowl. Here are the pictures.

The ingredients.
364266322_393a4aee74.jpg

The tuna.
364274585_1d98a9c975.jpg

The avocado.
364266919_20decb4c74.jpg

All of the ingredients except for the tuna have been added and mashed up a bit.
364273284_6415f8a38c.jpg

Poppadom chips. I get them from the farmers market. Heat them in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel for about 30 seconds on each side.
364273930_120379ab55.jpg

Serve it up.
364275236_16b128dd0a.jpg

You stay classy, San Francisco!
364275850_97c10502a1.jpg

Enjoy. We're doing some bbq'd pulled pork today on the grill, so I'll post in a few days when I get the pictures ready.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer, wonderful pics. Consider yourself lucky to have a market of that quality around. The roast chicken stands are kinda comon over here; the smell of fresh roast chicken should be bottled imho:lol

One question concerning the menu sign: what does "BLT" stand for?

The tuna tartar sounds like a real good idea, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Our dinner was as follows. The Quiche turned out well:
smallCIMG4664.jpg

Cheesecake:
smallCIMG4672.jpg

Enjoy.

OnkelC said:
Cornballer, wonderful pics. Consider yourself lucky to have a market of that quality around. The roast chicken stands are kinda comon over here; the smell of fresh roast chicken should be bottled imho:lol

One question concerning the menu sign: what does "BLT" stand for?
The market is great - I like heading there on Saturday mornings to pick up food. My only complaint is that things are very expensive there. :(

BLT is a Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich. It's a classic here in the states. Wikipedia explains the BLT.

Pachinko

Here's a simple dish my grandmother occasionally makes that you can make very easily yourselves- no pics unfortunatly but here goes.

1- This is a pasta dish so pick whichever kind you want , macaroni or spiral pasta works best though.

2- Buy a small tub of dry cottage cheese(as in no brine) and have it ready for later

3- sautee onions and butter in a frying pan until it is a nice oily sauce , similar to how you might make up butter and onions for perogies.

4- Have your pasta cooked and strained, place it back in the pot on low heat with no water and mix it with the buttered onion sauce.

5- slowly add in the cottage cheese and mix it in there nice

6- keep it on low until it's at your desired temperature.

I"m not exactly a cook myself so this is about all I can give for directions. All I know is that unless you can't stand cottage cheese this is good eating. Side dishes for this could include a fried up sausage.

Cornballer said:
Great stuff by everyone here. I like the look of that breakfast, heavy liquid. Am I correct that there's a big influence from America's Test Kitchen? Cooking armageddon, indeed.

I'm looking forward to your BBQ pulled pork!

Yeah, I use America's Test Kitchen recipes a lot. I guess I'm a big fan. I have the Cookbook, and subscribe to both Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country magazines. I'll also watch their show on PBS every now and then.

I use a lot of other recipes as well, but probably about half of what I cook is from ATK. They're written well and you can tell that a lot of work and thought have been put into each one. All of the breakfast recipes that I cooked is theirs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer, thanks for the explanation. I remember seeing the "BLT" at Subway, now it all makes sense ;) . Looking forward to the BBQ pictures!

Pachinko, that sounds a nice dish, will try it out some time.

heavy liquid raised an interesting question:

Where do you get your recipes from?

Would be really nice to know that. Most of the stuff I cook were hand-downs from my grannies. I regularly read a magazine called "Meine Familie und Ich", which is kind of a soccer-mom everyday cooking magazine and is sold at supermarket cashiers. This habit is also a hand-down from one of my grannies, and the featured recipes in there are laid out to be fast and practicable to make. I rarely cook a recipe letter-by-letter, though, but try to improvise a bit.

How about you?

Sumidor

I really.. REALLLLY wish I wasn't so lazy, so that I could cook some of these things. I'm freaking starving, but i'm too lazy to make anything to eat.. Keep up the good work fellas!

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
I usually start off with some kind of inspiration: restaurant visit, TV, movies, random food porn on the net, etc ... then I google for infos, pics and recipes. When I was able to get hold of all the ingredients, then I'm doing my free-style version of what I learned earlier. Afterwards I kinda write my own recipe with notes of what worked, so that I'm able to recreate or to improve.

I love a BLT from a good sandwich shop. Some of them use three slices of bread; one slice in the middle. They're commonly speared with a toothpick because they tend to fall apart easily. Now I'm craving one. I may have to make one this week!

445817xl.jpg

OnkelC said:

As previously mentioned, I use America's Test Kitchen a lot.

I also use allrecipes.com. In that case, I always read the comments, as lots of people post what worked and what didn't in the recipe, as well as doing things differently to improve upon it. I kind of piece together my recipe from all of the information.

My brother is a chef who graduated from Arizona Culinary Institue about 12 years ago. I get a lot of ideas and recipes from him. He's worked at a number of restaurants, usually as an executive chef over the years: Lots of "high-end" restaruants and many different cuisines. Italian, Mexican, soul food and tapas-style restaurants to name a few.

My wife is filipino, and she has a lot of delicious recipes from her mother and grandmother. I still need to cook some of them for these cooking threads. Chicken adobo, pansit, empanadas, and binagoongang baboy. But no, I'm not going to cook balut. :)

I also use the same method as ChryZ from time to time, in that if I have a dish that I like, or even see one somewhere (TV or a movie), I'll just google it and try to put it together from the info I've gleaned from the various sources.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ and heavy, thanks for the insights.
heavy liquid, that is an impressive family background! Please do not show the following to your brother:lol :

Convenience monday, canned Ravioli and chicken chips with dips:
smallCIMG4679.jpg

smallCIMG4680.jpg

2vmcx9s.jpg

^^ :lol ^^

Just a quick note here since I'm kinda swamped at work today. The "where do you get your recipes" question is a good one, and I'll post my thoughts later.

Also, the bbq'd pulled pork was a great success. Kudos to my friend that did most of the cooking - I was just there to take photos and eat. Here's a quick tease, and I'll put up more photos later this week when I have a chance.

365348421_4dae0ff80b.jpg

Heavy Liquid, Since you brought up BLT's..

I usually make make them with hot dog buns. The slices of bacon and roma tomatoes fit perfect :)

Does anybody else do this? hehe.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
Flo, that looks voluptious. I guess that is one of the differences between the USA and Europe: Ours are smaller (and pork :lol ):

We also have pork tenderloins here. I make mine with a kahlua and apricot glaze.

Most recipes I make are handed down from my mother. She made me a little binder with all of my favorites she used to make. <3 mom!

I also worked most of my young life in kitchens. Mostly as a line cook (i.e. chopping potatoes all day) but I did pick up alot of technique from the chefs :)

8bit

Knows the Score
I did say at some point in the past I would try to get some photos of some of Glasgow's delicacies, so here we are.

This is the menu in a Chip Shop, observe the variety of chocolate treats and fizzy drinks:

342439436_422a415d0d.jpg

Here we have the deep fried Pizza:

pizza7zn.jpg

Deep fried sausage with chips and curry sauce:

361929085_7b79e324b3.jpg

Chip and curry sauce:

chips4fg.jpg

And to wash it down, the locals would recommend a tonic wine, but sadly the local vendor appears to have run out of the favoured tipple.

357454764_8bbdf4082b.jpg

OMG 8bit! I've never heard of deep fried pizza in my life! :lol It's got to be good though, right? I mean, anything deep fried is good!

And deep fried sausage with fries and curry sauce? I'm sure my arteries would harden within one week after visiting Glasglow, but it woud be worth it! :lol

Awesome looking pulled pork sandwich, Cornballer! Looking forward to seeing all of the pics!

I promise not to show your ravioli with chicken chips and dips to my brother, OnkleC. :) But to be honest, all of the chefs that I've met, including my brother are some of the most down-to-earth humble people I've met. My brother may be able to cook amazingly, but he's been known to stop buy Taco Bell and pick up a couple of burritos on the way home from work quite often.

Flo_Evans said:
We also have pork tenderloins here. I make mine with a kahlua and apricot glaze.

Most recipes I make are handed down from my mother. She made me a little binder with all of my favorites she used to make. <3 mom!

I also worked most of my young life in kitchens. Mostly as a line cook (i.e. chopping potatoes all day) but I did pick up alot of technique from the chefs :)

That's great! I would love if you could post some of the recipes! The hand me down recipes through the families are alwayts the best. Even if you didn't cook them or have pictures, I would love to see them and maybe try them out.

tnw

Banned
ChryZ, everything you make looks so good! Making tortillas from scratch is pretty fun, although my foray into that didn't turn out nearly as well as yours did (I was making hard shell tacos though)

I get a lot of my recipies from Epicurious.com. Great website. I also google the occasional recipe as well.

A read some good food blogs as well for ideas. Chocolateandzucchini.com is a french young woman in paris.

I also read a blog about someone who is gluten free. It's interesting.

Anyway, I made kimchee nabe (uhh, hotpot I guess?). I didn't take any pictures.

It consists of :

1 leek (naganegi)
1 block of tofu
1/4 head of chinese cabbage (hakusai)
1 bunch of nira (kind of like chives)
and then the kimchee nabe soup base.
a couple cubes of mochii (pounded rice)

Chop up ingredients, put it in a stoneware pot (donabe, but any large put is fine), let it simmer until everything is cooked, and voila! You have the ultmiate winter party food! When all of the food is eaten and only the soup is left, people throw in either a bunch of cooked rice or some udon/soba to finish it off.

Nabe rocks. Here's a picture of Kimchee Nabe

nabe2.GIF

tnw said:
ChryZkimchee nabe

Sounds delicious tnw! I've also always liked ChryZ's heavily influenced Korean recipes. I love Korean food, especially after having lived in Vancouver for a few years and being exposed to the food through some excellent restaurants there and some great friends.

The dish reminds me a bit of "kimchi chigae" which is one of my favorites. Of course, I do love all of the asian spicy dishes the best.. Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, bring 'em on! :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to you all for your contributions! :)
8bit, that looks simply great. I gotta visit Scotland this year, the mysteries of deep frying must be uncovered. If you don't mind, please take some more shots if you are up there again. Looks really interesting.

Keep contributing, folks.

tnw

Banned
heavy liquid said:
The dish reminds me a bit of "kimchi chigae" which is one of my favorites. Of course, I do love all of the asian spicy dishes the best.. Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, bring 'em on! :)

Yeah, it basically is Chigae. In fact I think Chige (as the japanese spell it) is how Koreans say Nabe. It is one of my favorite foods. So good in the winter. I almost like Korean food more than Japanese food sometimes, the flavors are so crisp (at least what I've tried)

Korean nori (seaweed) is so freakin good. It's better than potato chips. Like regular nori, but with the added aroma and taste of sesame oil and sea salt.

I01081802390096.jpeg

ChryZ

tnw said:
ChryZ, everything you make looks so good! Making tortillas from scratch is pretty fun, although my foray into that didn't turn out nearly as well as yours did (I was making hard shell tacos though)
Thanks for the compliment. Regarding the corn tortillas: I was actually surprised how well they turned out, because I once tried to make flour tortillas and those crashed'n'burned most discouragingly (dough too sticky, tried to roll them out, one big mess). The press and masa harina FTW, I guess.

8bit said:
Glasgow's delicacies
Brilliant! :lol

tnw said:
Yeah, it basically is Chigae. In fact I think Chige (as the japanese spell it) is how Koreans say Nabe.
AFAIR, nabe [&#37707;] means pot (traditionally made of clay), chige is the japanized version of the Korean word chigae/jjigae [&#52236;&#44060;] whick means one-pot-stew. Nabemono [&#37707;&#29289;, &#12394;&#12409;&#29289;] would be the equivalent to chigae/jjigae [&#52236;&#44060;].

And while we are on the subject of Japanese/Korean food:

I finally made omuraisu:

Omuraisu.jpg

ingredients

2-3 X egg
1 X red thai chile (diced, optional)
1 X white onion (diced)
1 X chicken breast (optional)
1 X cherry tomato (garnish, optional)
1-2 CUP cooked rice
1/2 CUP tried shiitake (rehydrated, diced, optional)
4-8 TBSP tomato ketchup
2 TBSP sriracha sauce
2-4 TBSP butter

saute onion and chile in one table spoon of butter ... until soft

Omuraisu_01.jpg

add chicken and stir-fry until all the pinkness is gone

Omuraisu_02.jpg

add shiitake and stir-fry for another moment

Omuraisu_03.jpg

add rice and stir-fry for another moment, then add ketchup

Omuraisu_04.jpg

set fried rice aside when homogeneous, crack the eggs and mix them,
then heat the remaining butter in another pan and make an omelette

Omuraisu_05.jpg

blanket or wrap the rice with the omelette and garnish with some more ketchup or sriracha

I tried to pull off the tricky tampopo-style, but my omelette skills were too weak,
so I had to settle with "clumsy blanket style", hehe. Oh, the wrap-style is also an option.

it took like 15-20 min to make ... nice dish for weekdays

mandatory walrus pic:

211726.jpg

tnw

Banned
I finally made omuraisu:

NOOOOOO, you're delicious food streak, RUINED!!!!

Sorry, I just really really hate omuraisu. You know that simpsons where homer takes cloves, tom colins mix and a ready made pie crust to eat? Yeah, that's about how well ketchup, eggs, and rice go together for me.

FOR ME.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
TAMPOPOOOOOO!
:lol
ChryZ, thanks for the omurice recipe (which I happened to come across first by watching Tampopo, too) and, of course, the wonderful clip from that movie.

I always wanted to try out the drunken shrimp thingie, but the wife vetoes this ;)

scrambled eggs, rice and ketchup goes well together imho, it is worth to try it out. Agreed with tnw that it is not a combination for everyone, though.

ChryZ

tnw said:
I finally made omuraisu:

NOOOOOO, you're delicious food streak, RUINED!!!!

Sorry, I just really really hate omuraisu. You know that simpsons where homer takes cloves, tom colins mix and a ready made pie crust to eat? Yeah, that's about how well ketchup, eggs, and rice go together for me.

FOR ME.
Too bad, I think it was delicious! :lol

OnkelC said:
scrambled eggs, rice and ketchup goes well together imho, it is worth to try it out. Agreed with tnw that it is not a combination for everyone, though
Agreed.

OnkelC said:
TAMPOPOOOOOO!
ChryZ, thanks for the omurice recipe (which I happened to come across first by watching Tampopo, too) and, of course, the wonderful clip from that movie.

On a side note, I can't believe that the movie isn't on DVD yet. At least in the US. I was looking to buy it about a year ago, and found out that it still has yet to be released! :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:

On a side note, I can't believe that the movie isn't on DVD yet. At least in the US. I was looking to buy it about a year ago, and found out that it still has yet to be released! :(
There was a US DVD release a few years ago by Fox Lorber with lousy quality, but even that is a rarity now. If you (or anybody interested) can play R2 DVDs, there has been a re-release in Japan last year which is costly, but has anamorphic picture and a nice picture quality (and English subtitles).
Comparison of the new Japanese DVD to the Fox Lorber release:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/tampopo.htm

OnkelC said:
There was a US DVD release a few years ago by Fox Lorber with lousy quality, but even that is a rarity now. If you (or anybody interested) can play R2 DVDs, there has been a re-release in Japan last year which is costly, but has anamorphic picture and a nice picture quality (and English subtitles).
Comparison of the new Japanese DVD to the Fox Lorber release:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/tampopo.htm

Thanks for the info! I have a region-free DVD player, so I'll definitely pick up the Japanese DVD.

I guess I missed out on the Fox Lorber disc, but from the looks of it, it wasn't anything special. I never bothered to check the Japanese DVD, as I didn't think it would have English subs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights' dinner was inspired by Cornballers market pics:
roast chicken from the local roast chicken man.
smallCIMG4681.jpg

Enjoy and see you tomorrow!

OnkelC said:
nice salad, tanks for sharing. Is that pork? How did you spice it?

Thanks! No, it's beef. I'm not even sure of the cut, but it wasn't expensive. Just pan fried with some salt, pepper and garlic.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Tonights dish goes by the Italian name of "Salsa di Radicchio" and goes fine with pasta as well as a topping for oven-baked meats or poultry. The preparation is fast and simple, and the subtle, slightly bitter taste makes this sauce an interesting alternative to tomato sauce.

The ingredients are:
smallCIMG4683.jpg

one small radicchio,
a glass of dry red wine,
a small cup of cream,
a small piece of Gorgonzola,
one small onion,
olive oil for frying,
salt and pepper.

First remove the outer leaves from the radicchio, cut the radicchio in half and remove the stem, then quarter it and cut into thin stripes:
smallCIMG4685.jpg

smallCIMG4686.jpg

smallCIMG4687.jpg

Cube the onion and sautee it in some olive oil until it gets glassy:
smallCIMG4688.jpg

smallCIMG4688.jpg

Add the radicchio (it will collapse and lose volume fast, don't be afraid), stir-fry it for a few minutes, then add the wine, cream and cubed gorgonzola:
smallCIMG4692.jpg

smallCIMG4693.jpg

smallCIMG4696.jpg

smallCIMG4697.jpg

Finish Line:
while the gorgonzola is melting in the pan, grate some Parmesan for decoration.

DONE!

Serve with (preferably) pasta (we had some Tagliatelle):
smallCIMG4698.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice work on the alternate pasta sauce, Onkel. I should try that sometime. Gorgonzola is one of my favorite cheeses.

Greetings fellow GAF cooks. Work has finally calmed down a bit, so I wanted to post pics of our adventure with pulled pork last weekend. I don't have the recipe here at the office, so I'll just put up the pics. If anyone wants the recipe, I can look it up at home and post it. Just ask and I'll be happy to do it. (Or people like heavy liquid can look it up in the ATK "New Best Recipe" cookbook because it's in there.)

Full credit goes to my best friend who spearheaded this effort at porky goodness. I was just along for the ride taking some photos and helping to keep the bbq running.

Here's a brief description of what we did:
1) Trimmed the pork. It was a 6.5 lb piece of pork shoulder butt from the butcher.
2) Put together a spice rub and applied it to the pork the night before. After the rub was applied, we wrapped it in plastic wrap and placed it in the fridge.
3) Started an low, indirect heat bbq on the grill. The pork was on the grill (but away from open flame) for about 2-2.5 hrs. We added coals and some wood chips every half-hour to keep it going.
4) The pork came off the grill and then was placed under foil in the oven for another two hours.
5) While the pork was in the oven, we made a simple bbq sauce. (Again, recipe available on request.)
6) We also made some coleslaw the night before along with some potato salad.
7) After the pork came off the grill, it was placed in a brown paper bag for an hour to cool slightly.
8) The pork was shredded and sauce was added.
9) Eat!

Pics!

364269666_ca777f060f.jpg

Trimming the fat off the pork shoulder.

364267703_54e2514a91.jpg

Spice rub ingredients before mixing it all up.

364269019_33bd6ff777.jpg

The meat and the spice rub.

364271762_7e446c6738.jpg

Applying the rub.

364272646_82f57c88a2.jpg

Tightly wrapped for the overnight fridge time.

365326858_ceb40a4d96.jpg

Placed onto the grill the next morning. Notice that it's in a pan. It gets a low amount of heat and plenty of smoky flavor.

365333604_702f949056.jpg

After a few hours it looked like this.

365335007_effff1dbc8.jpg

Closeup of the meat.

365336065_50e1051a28.jpg

Covered with foil and into the oven.

365331257_10e27f5a10.jpg

Mixing up ingredients for the sauce.

365330239_f755faf3f1.jpg

Cooking onions for the sauce.

365332233_c597a8d561.jpg

Sauce on the stovetop. It simmered for a few hours, then was put in the blender to smooth it out.

365339177_289393b85a.jpg

Pork into the bag for an hour.

365340489_cdf7b5c896.jpg

Commence shredding! It didn't take much effort because the pork was very broken down at this point. We pulled out some of the fat on the side.

365344854_7dd969caa8.jpg

Pulled pork.

365342743_86937e0905.jpg

Guess who else wants some?

365346177_43004e0626.jpg

Add some sauce.

365347381_c65cd40653.jpg

The spread.

365348421_4dae0ff80b.jpg

The final product.

Hope you enjoyed it!

Cornballer said:
Guess who else wants some?

:lol That's a great pic.

Looks awesome, Cornballer! *drool* I love pulled pork and your dish looks like a definite success.

And that's also a great looking pasta, OnkleC! Not only great, but quick and simple which is what's needed sometimes during a hectic work week with not enough time to prepare for meals.

Speaking of which, I'm making a quick meal tonight that's quite good, even though it's fairly simple and quick to cook: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. It's been a while since I've had fish, and I've been craving some. Stay tuned (to take your line). :)

Simple dish from me tonight. Like I mentioned, I was in the mood for fish, so I cooked Broiled Tilapia Parmesan.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon Old Bay
1 pound tilapia fillets

P1010001-2.jpg

Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan with olive oil.

In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, and onion powder. Mix well and set aside.

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010007-2.jpg

Take your tilapia fillets and season with Old Bay spice.

P1010009-2.jpg

P1010010.jpg

Meanwhile, I prepared some steamed mixed vegetables and a salad.

P1010011-1.jpg

Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan.

P1010012-1.jpg

Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes.

P1010013-1.jpg

Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish. Done!

P1010015-2.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010022-1.jpg

P1010025-2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to the both of you for the kudos.

Cornballer, that is an impressive piece of cooking. It is really interesting to see the advanced bbqueing techniques from "ze States", such time-intensive grilling/smoking dishes are uncommon over here. The usual grilling paradigm in Germany is (rightfully) ill-reputed as "turbo-grilling", aka get the coal started FAST, get the meats done FAST, drown it in condiments FAST :lol. It is considered “manly” to have the actual grilling process done quick, so the crew can focus on the booze early ;)

The use of lids and/or covers for the grill is only starting to be accepted as a viable variant.

Time-intensive tasks or the described slow-grilling / smoking preparation are also a bit difficult to pull off from the legal standpoint, due to most people not having enough clearance/space to envious neighbours; most of the national BBQ action has to take place on the balconies of multi-apartment houses which lead to lots of legal troubles in the past decades. Several German courts have spoken verdicts concerning BBQs because of that territorial behavior, so the average German flat-owner is either allowed to BBQ only two times a year or has to use an electric grill if the neighbours are against it...

Friedrich Schiller said:
The most pious man can't stay in peace
If it doesn't please his evil neighbor.

40n98b8.jpg

Anyway, thanks for sharing, it looks absolutely delish.

heavy liquid, same goes to you. I got to make more fish dishes, you got my mouth watery with this.

Keep’em coming and share your thoughts on cooking, neighbours and other rantable stuff concerning food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom