• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

maxmars

Ninja Dom said:
In the UK the VC games usually drop around midnight. Keep us informed.

In Italy, central european time, they are available just after midnight. It's become an habit of mine to hit the wii shop to see what's new in there.

Oh and this saturday there should be also the go live of the news channel, isn't it?

SumGamer

Hell no, I encounter some more bugs in ALttP. I throw the boomerang at the soldiers and they just froze there, I've been stand and waitin for like 30 secs and they dont even blink. It doesn't happen al the time though just time to time.

Slacker

Teppic said:
Am I the only one who can't play Super Mario Bros with the classic controller because of the button placement?
You are not alone. The button mapping is useless for SMB. For those that haven't had the pleasure, the b and y buttons are set to one function (dash I think), and the a and x buttons to another (jump). It's easy to press b and y at the same time, and it's easy to press a and x at the same time. It's almost impossible to press one of the dash and one of the jump buttons at the same time. >___<

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
POWERSPHERE said:
Source? So does that mean it drops at midnight? Coz that's only 20 minutes away!!!

10AM like usual, its on Nintendo Australia's site

Dave Long

Banned
I've never had a problem buying and keeping old games and systems around, so for me Virtual Console has to be perfect emulation or I won't buy. That's ok though, since I have all you suc^H^H^H guys here to let me know if there are glitches in any of the games.

So far, both Super Star Soldier and Super Castlevania IV are aces and I bought Military Madness despite knowing it had the problem with sound in scrolling simply because I don't currently own a TG-16.

SumGamer said:
Hell no, I encounter some more bugs in ALttP. I throw the boomerang at the soldiers and they just froze there, I've been stand and waitin for like 30 secs and they dont even blink. It doesn't happen al the time though just time to time.

Maybe I'm missing a joke or something, but uh...that's what the boomerang is supposed to do.

Also, wanting to get to the bottom of this emulation glitchery, I popped Zelda into my SNES, which is hooked up via composite for stereo sound. The result is that the same thing happens in SNES Zelda that happens in the emulation - the sound effects try to take advantage of the stereo sound, and sometimes end up muffled depending on where you are standing. Maybe people are remembering differently, or they didn't have their SNES hooked up stereo (if you have the SNES hooked up via RF Modulator, the sound is consistent). I don't think the emulation is suspect here - maybe people just played the GBA one more recently or something?

Bert409

Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe I'm missing a joke or something, but uh...that's what the boomerang is supposed to do.

Also, wanting to get to the bottom of this emulation glitchery, I popped Zelda into my SNES, which is hooked up via composite for stereo sound. The result is that the same thing happens in SNES Zelda that happens in the emulation - the sound effects try to take advantage of the stereo sound, and sometimes end up muffled depending on where you are standing. Maybe people are remembering differently, or they didn't have their SNES hooked up stereo (if you have the SNES hooked up via RF Modulator, the sound is consistent). I don't think the emulation is suspect here - maybe people just played the GBA one more recently or something?
I've tested this, and yeah, LttP SNES on composite has the same problems as LttP VC on composite. I also heard similar problems on Super Mario World, so maybe this was a problem with early first party SNES games. So what, do these games only sound right on RF hookups?

Ranger X

And did my graphical glitch (quite major one at that) is happening on your old Zelda copy? It doesn't happen on mine.

There is a Youtube video of the glitch i'm telling you about but i can't seem to find it anymore :((((

I haven't seen it on either version, but I can believe it, that is something more consistent with an emulator flaw. But who knows? Even on the SNES the flicker "hit" effect went flaky in some games.

Jiggy

Narag said:
I've experienced none of the LttP glitches reported as far as I can recall. If I do, I'll end up recanting here though. :(
Likewise. Nor glitches with any of the other nine games, for that matter.

Bo130

In case you haven't seen it; Sega has announced that their three VC titles for Europe tonight (Gain Ground, Comix Zone, Bonanza Bros.) has been pushed a week back (february 2nd) :(. Nothing on what we'll see in just above an hour, then. Mario Kart 64, I guess.

Deku

Banned
Cyan said:
New. At least, I never encountered the sound glitch in my LttP cartridge. I think it would've already been mentioned if the glitch was a carryover from the original game.

Emulation is never 100% perfect and I've not encountered the glitch you mentioned.

What would have been nice is if they could have included SNES,NES,TG-16 and Genesis on a chip solutions (you know like those plug and play TV things) as part of the Wiichipset. This would effectively emulate the hardware for us and there would be no need for emulators except for if they choose to add new consoles later on.

Christopher

maharg said:
I can't even think of a way that could be made to work.

um the controller houses 6 buttons bedsides the d-pad' +, -, A, 1, 2, B. The Gameboy Advance had the same amount of buttons and worked fine.

- : select

+: start

1.: sword

2.: item

A: map

B: "action" button.

it's not that hard.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Christopher said:
um the controller houses 6 buttons bedsides the d-pad' +, -, A, 1, 2, B. The Gameboy Advance had the same amount of buttons and worked fine.

it's not that hard.

but the GBA version was recoded for that button configuration. This being the snes version, there's no way to map it to the wiimote alone.

The trouble with the system-on-a-chip solution is that the NES, SNES and Genesis both had carts with custom chips. Including all of these could be a real headache.

dyls

Segata Sanshiro said:

Thanks for checking. My SNES is hooked up via RCA, but only a mono feed (crappy TV with only a 'left/mono' RCA in)and I dont' own a LTTP cartridge, so I was only going on memory. Most likely when I played LTTP the first time, it was hooked via RF.

I guess this means we won't see an update fixing it. :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Christopher said:

it's not that hard.
Good luck trying to hold it and actually use that button configuration in any functional way.

Tauran

I have not noticed that LttP problem. As a matter of fact I just went and tried it and really tried to make the glitch happen, but I noticed nothing.

Furthermore, I don't see how this glitch is anything of consequence. If it happens to me I'll be able to more accurately give an opinion....but does the game lose something if its suddenly a little more imperfect? It does not sound like anything that Nintendo should waste their time fixing.

Maybe I'm just used to playing my old (launch) NES....with all of its crazy flashing-in-and-out graphics (Rygar says hello) and its ability to just lock up on me when I am near the end of the game (just my copy of Super Mario Bros. 3), but I accept and sometimes expect small glitches.

~Tauran

MK64 actually comes in at 129 blocks, not 200. Really impressed with it so far - really sharp & clean, and the framerate seems really smooth, even if it does seem to be only 20-30fps.

MadFuzzy

Interesting to see that according to the Mario Kart 64 manual, the Virtual Console doesn't seem to support the controller pak (so no saving ghost data). Also, is it me, or were the TV screens on some of the stages really as laggy as on the N64 as they are on VC?

Anyway, good to play the game again.

Cheesemeister said:
comixzone.gif
contra3.gif
FFFD00012.gif
FFFD00013.gif

No big surprise, but this one just popped up for NA, too:
bonanzabros.gif

Cosmonaut X said:
MK64 actually comes in at 129 blocks, not 200. Really impressed with it so far - really sharp & clean, and the framerate seems really smooth, even if it does seem to be only 20-30fps.

I'm a little confused. They do actually optimize 64 games right? I never bough SM64 but I was curious to see how it looked.

Isn't MK64 supposed to be out next week in the US as well? Find it a little hard to believe that they'd put up 6 games at once, especially with 2 really big hitters like MK and SMW, not to mention Contra.

EphemeralDream said:
I'm a little confused. They do actually optimize 64 games right? I never bough SM64 but I was curious to see how it looked.

Well, I'd have to compare against my old copy of MK64, but it appears that the framerate is now locked at whatever the maximum was in the cart version rather than skipping up and down. It looks a hell of a lot sharper than I remember, but that may be down to using SCART cables on Wii instead of the old AV cables I used on the N64. IMO, it looks about as good as you could expect an N64 game to look without doing any kind of upscaling, retexturing etc.

Hmmmmmm, thats a worry about the controller pack thing - I never thought about it, could they emulate that somehow? Or will they just never bother with games that only saved on the memory card? (Goemon nooooooo ;( ) Cause that would suck.

Conrad Link said:
Hmmmmmm, thats a worry about the controller pack thing - I never thought about it, could they emulate that somehow? Or will they just never bother with games that only saved on the memory card? (Goemon nooooooo ;( ) Cause that would suck.

Theres no reason why it couldn't be emulated.

Well, perhaps its only a problem when save data are being save on cartridge AND controller pak. With MK64, Nintendo chose to go for the internal cartridge-save data, as its more important thatn ghost data. But for a game like, let´s say Armorines: Project SWARM, where the complete save data are being saved on the controller pak, this will make the data being saved on the Wii´s flash memory.

Just a guess, though...

Cosmonaut X said:

Yeah, weird, I could swear it said 200 blocks before the download. 14xx blocks will be left. Then after the dl it said: 15xxfree blocks remaining. Maybe it needs some free blocks for unpacking or something....

Yeah well. Controls are good with CC. You can even use the "X" button for items like in MKDS. really nice. Why didn't they put similar thoughts in other VC controls?

Surfheart

Grabbed Mazza Kart YAY!

Looks great! Like M64 seems to be upscaled because it looks a heap better than it did on the N64.

Sprites looks great and its fullscreen PAL.

Now Waverace please Nintendo!

maharg

idspispopd
:Motorbass said:
Yeah, weird, I could swear it said 200 blocks before the download. 14xx blocks will be left. Then after the dl it said: 15xxfree blocks remaining. Maybe it needs some free blocks for unpacking or something....

It does that for every download. I think the early speculation was that the initial estimate is with emulator, and if you already have that it ends up smaller.

japtor

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, I'd have to compare against my old copy of MK64, but it appears that the framerate is now locked at whatever the maximum was in the cart version rather than skipping up and down. It looks a hell of a lot sharper than I remember, but that may be down to using SCART cables on Wii instead of the old AV cables I used on the N64. IMO, it looks about as good as you could expect an N64 game to look without doing any kind of upscaling, retexturing etc.
most n64 games ran at 320x240. if mk64 (and other n64 games) on vc is like mario 64, then they get the resolution boost to 640x480...at least for ntsc, i have no clue about the pal versions.

maharg said:
It does that for every download. I think the early speculation was that the initial estimate is with emulator, and if you already have that it ends up smaller.

Mhm. But what about the added x-button functionality from MK64? It would have to be changed in the Rom.

Oh. And this is my first N64 game on the Wii, so that's not the reason. :]

Top Bottom