• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Ravager61

MrNibbles said:
For the love of god, when will people realize that VC games can not be stored to SD cards???

Edit: Wait, now I'm confused.

I believe they can be stored on SD cards but must be recopied back to the Wii before you can play them.

Ranger X

Ravager61 said:
I believe they can be stored on SD cards but must be recopied back to the Wii before you can play them.

Exact. And the files have to be put back on the Wii that originally created them.

TigersFan said:
Aren't you supposed to be able to redownload games you've bought for free too? Has anyone tried that?
Yea, I had to do that after I got my Wii back from Nintendo.

There's a section where you can just look at the games you downloaded in the past.

SumGamer

Cyan said:
Not just you. I've been having the same problem. The sound effects get really quiet for a few seconds at a time, right? I thought it was just me.

That's exactly what happen, maybe I should give NoA an email.

Rimshot

I havnt traveld in the realm of VC yet due to lack of good wireless routers.
But thanks to Apple I have a whole new realm to explore ! Mwahahaha

Anyways, I havn't recieved my router yet from them, so I don't really know what they are offering yet. What are the games worth getting to you that is availible on the VC?

There's a big chance that I've played most of the games as a youngin, but that's also a reason I would like to get your recomendations on what games have aged well. And are worth playing again without ruining childhood memories.

It's gonna be a big Monday.

comixzone.gif
contra3.gif
FFFD00012.gif
FFFD00013.gif

EDIT: This was my 1000th post on GAF. What do I win?! :lol

colinp

Banned
Rimshot said:
What are the games worth getting to you that is availible on the VC?

in no particular order:

Ristar
Gunstar Heroes
LTTP
Mario 64
Soldier Blade
Bomberman '93 (if you can play it multiplayer especially- though still fun singleplayer)
Super Mario Bros

Cheesemeister, you forgot Mario Kart 64.

and I missed where Contra 3 confirmation came in... How do we know we'll get that??

Cheesemeister said:
It's gonna be a big Monday.

comixzone.gif
contra3.gif
FFFD00012.gif
FFFD00013.gif

Whoa, what? So what's coming out on Monday? Bonanza Bros. Comix Zone, Gain Ground, and Mario Kart 64 are absolutely confirmed, are Contra III and Mario World for sure going up?

Armitage

Man, I'm going to have to buy Contra and SMW. And that will require that I buy another 2000 points, which I'll then probably use up on impulse purchases. The VC is so terribly awesome and awesomely terrible at the same time.

dyls

It's officially time for Nintendo to test that 'update' button for VC games. LTTP has some sound glitches (sound effects that cut down to almost inaudible levels for a few seconds) that are quite annoying. I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't catch this during their testing.

It makes me feel that maybe they weren't planning on releasing it this week, but did because of Sega not being ready with their trio of games.

IAmtheFMan said:
Whoa, what? So what's coming out on Monday? Bonanza Bros. Comix Zone, Gain Ground, and Mario Kart 64 are absolutely confirmed, are Contra III and Mario World for sure going up?

That's what precedent would indicate for Contra and SMW, at least. According to Sega up until day-of, the 3 Genny games were due to be released, but they didn't start appearing on the server 'til yesterday. LTTP was the only one to show up beforehand.

Chibbi Brady said:
Nice update, any sneak preview for the Euro update Cheesemeister?

I'll have to put one together. After Media Create's numbers go up.

WTF! I just got done with my first Wii shopping since around launch 5 mins ago! Stop stealing my money, Nintendo!

and if my day keeps goin this way i just might break your ****ING FACE TONIGHT GIVE ME SOMIN TO BREAK GOBBLE GOBBLE GOO!

give me your nintendo wii you selfish a-hole!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
and if my day keeps goin this way i just might break your ****ING FACE TONIGHT GIVE ME SOMIN TO BREAK GOBBLE GOBBLE GOO!

give me your nintendo wii you selfish a-hole!

I'll give you my Wii, if you become a Packers fan for 1 full season, wearing a #4 jersey every Sunday too!

Ranger X

dyls said:
It's officially time for Nintendo to test that 'update' button for VC games. LTTP has some sound glitches (sound effects that cut down to almost inaudible levels for a few seconds) that are quite annoying. I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't catch this during their testing.

It makes me feel that maybe they weren't planning on releasing it this week, but did because of Sega not being ready with their trio of games.

No only that but there seem to be graphical glitches. Like sometimes when you're hit, instead of flashing with that transparency effect, the Link sprite simply isn't visible!!!
That sucks big time.

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
deal. i will wear Packers #4, former punter Bert Yesremski. and i will fabricate packers fandom for 365 days.

Thats why you'll never get a Wii, you try to half ass your way through life! Wii is not made for people like you. You can't hand players briefcases full of cash under the table while signing them to the minimum like DeBartolo!

Leatherface

My NES wish list: :)

NES
Rygar
Ghosts N Goblins
Mega Man 2
Super Mario 3
Blaster Master
Bionic Commando
Castlevania 1-3
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden
Blades of Steel
Tiger Heli
Wizards and Warriors
Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2
R.C. Pro AM
Mario Kart
Marble Madness
Double Dragon
Final Fantasy
Gradius
Dragon Warrior
BattleToads

dyls said:
To make it especially weird, wasn't LTTP a Japanese VC launch game? Either noone here has heard of complaints about problems with that version, or something went funky when they threw in the US version ROM.

fresquito

Leatherface said:
My NES wish list: :)

NES
Rygar
Ghosts N Goblins
Mega Man 2
Super Mario 3
Blaster Master
Bionic Commando
Castlevania 1-3
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden
Blades of Steel
Tiger Heli
Wizards and Warriors
Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2
R.C. Pro AM
Mario Kart
Marble Madness
Double Dragon
Final Fantasy
Gradius
Dragon Warrior
BattleToads
Mission failed. A NES list without Blue SHadow (AKA Shadow of the Ninja) can't be complete. The same can be said about the absence of Punch Out.

GamerGeorge said:
Would Nintendo really release all those games at once, along with the previously confirmed Mario Kart 64? I just don't find it very likely...

Maybe NOA finally wised up and is flooding the server so as to make accurate predictions impossible.

Leatherface, you have clearly failed in your mission of listing your own wish list. I want you to go home and write this up again, but before that write a 1000-word essay on what you did wrong.

Dave Long

Banned
Ranger X said:
No only that but there seem to be graphical glitches. Like sometimes when you're hit, instead of flashing with that transparency effect, the Link sprite simply isn't visible!!!
That sucks big time.

That's crappy news. I'm kinda glad I didn't spring for it yet.

dyls

Dave Long said:
That's crappy news. I'm kinda glad I didn't spring for it yet.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker, just an annoyance. The VC has been such a high quality of emulation that it's especially weird that the first game with problems (that I know of) would be one of Nintendo's flagship titles. The funny thing is, I haven't noticed at all since I got the master sword. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

I really just want to see how quickly Nintendo will be about fixing problems, and this is as good a test as any.

dyls

I take it back, the problem is still around. I realized the issue, however, must have to do with how the sound mix, as it only happens as you move farther from the middle of the screen. It's easiest to test in a room where the camera does not pan at all. Stand in the middle are and everything is fine. Move to the outside 20% of the screen and the sound effects which eminate from Link (sword, arrows, etc.) are heavily muted, as if they are panned to a part of the sound mix which does not exist.

Should be an easy fix and, again, a good test of how quickly Nintendo will update these kind of glitches.

edit: tried changing the sound settings on the Wii to Stereo, and then Mono. No help.

Hmm, well the sfx do jump from side to side. I haven't had them cut out yet or even get real quiet, but I haven't been really listening for it either, so I might be missing something.

Dungeon Explorer had the stereo mix problem as well, I believe. I'd go to a certain area of the screen and the sounds would then be kinda...quiet.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I noticed graphical glitches in SimCity that are very commonplace.

One for example was when holding down the A button to move around the city, the screen would be black at the bottom momentarily and didn't load everything correctly.

ethelred

Emulation glitches? That is pretty seriously disturbing. I thought the whole reason each game had its own custom emulator built in, rather than having a generic SNES emulator or Genesis emulator, was so that they could optimize the performance of each game and get them to run perfectly?

Virtual Console lives or dies by the quality of the emulation of these retro-releases. If Nintendo's half-assing it this early, that's a very worrisome sign.

Narag

I've experienced none of the LttP glitches reported as far as I can recall. If I do, I'll end up recanting here though. :(

Teppic

But remember, if it's true emulation the glitches from the original games should also be here. Are these glitches new or something that's always been there?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Aussies good news for our national day! We get Mario Kart 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom