• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Superbowl, I put together some chicken satay for the masses.

Chicken Satay

Marinade:
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp crunch peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 minced garlic cloves
crushed dried red peppers
6 boned, skinned chicken breast halves cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide

Peanut Sauce:
2/3 cup of crunch peanut butter
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar of molasses
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
4 minced garlic cloves
ground cayenne pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream

Combine marinade ingredients in shallow dish. Thread chicken onto skewers in a serpentine, twisty fashion. Soak for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Combine peanut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, soy suave, brown sugar or molasses, ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper to taste (sparingly) in a saucepan. cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sauce is thick as heavy cream, about 15 minutes. Transfer to food processor or blender and puree briefly Add chicken stock and cream; blend until smooth.

Grill meat over moderate charcoal fire or under broiler, turning and basting with marinade until crispy on the outside, but still moist inside. Serve with peanut dipping sauce.

Pics!

380278122_594096eef9.jpg

Marinade ingredients

380278169_b6bfae2538.jpg

Putting chicken on the skewers

380278269_d673d60efb.jpg

Marinade is ready to be put in the fridge overnight

380278354_a5d34f5e61.jpg

Peanut sauce ingredients

380278410_eb35906073.jpg

Cooking the peanut sauce. That's cayenne pepper on top.

380278496_ddf80568fd.jpg

Blending the peanut sauce

380278604_1d6429154e.jpg

Grilling the skewers

380278684_337122706b.jpg

Closeup of chicken on the grill

380278875_7ee7298b06.jpg

Mmmmmm-mmmmm-good!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
deee-lish!
Thank you for sharing, Cornballer. I envy you for being able to grill in early february. The charcoal would freeze if I'd try that over here :p

ronito

Ok I thought it was time for me to contribute. No pics though, sorry too much a pain.

What you'll need:

1.5-2 lbs Chicken breast
1 pckg Lasagne noodles
2 pckgs Neufchatel Cheese
2 cups whole milk
8 oz. Small curd Cottage cheese (you can double this if you really want)
3-4 cups Mozzarella

Grill chicken and shred it once cooked.
Boil the noodles for about 10 minutes.
Take the 2 cups milk and 2 pckgs of Neufchatel cheese and put it in a blender. Blend until you have a nice thick creamy sauce. Season with Garlic and other seasonings as desired.

Get an oven-safe cassarole dish line it with aluminum paper for cleaning ease, line the bottom with noodles, pour on the Neufchatel sauce, cottage cheese, sprinkle with mozzarella and chicken. Build levels until you've used up the ingredients.

Cover with aluminum paper and bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes, or until the sauce inside is hot.

OnkelC said:
deee-lish!
Thank you for sharing, Cornballer. I envy you for being able to grill in early february. The charcoal would freeze if I'd try that over here :p
Yeah, we had good weather last weekend, so it was great for grilling. It started raining this week, so I might be off the grill for a while now. :lol

I made some split-pea soup last night, and I'll post the recipe when I get a chance to upload the pics. Maybe this weekend.

Where's everyone else? heavy liquid? ChryZ?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer said:
C'mon folks, are you shy or what?
ronito, nice casserole. Good idea with the neufchatel/milk mix.

Some restaurant food pics to get you in the mood:
Stracciatella (clear vegetable soup with whipped egg):
smallCIMG4807.jpg

Pizza with parmesan, mozzarella, gorgonzola:
smallCIMG4811.jpg

piccola funghi:
smallCIMG4810.jpg

veal cutlets:
smallCIMG4809.jpg

Cornballer said:

I'm still here, I've just been pretty busy lately and haven't done as much home-cooking as I would like, unfortunately. Good stuff from everyone, as usual. Love the chicken satay and bifteki!

I'll be making a beef stew on Sunday for a birthday party at my parents house. I'll be sure to take pictures, as usual!

heavy liquid said:
I'll be making a beef stew on Sunday for a birthday party at my parents house. I'll be sure to take pictures, as usual!
Cool - I'm looking forward to it. Not sure if I'm doing any cooking over the weekend, but I'll try to post my split pea soup from last night.

ChryZ

Cornballer said:
I haven't seen the thread in a while since I'm usually not going deeper into OT than page one. To be honest, I wasn't looking for it either, if there is no interest then posting here would be like beating a dead horse.

Oh and my import PS3 (US) arrived safe and sound, so I spend a lot of time catching up on Resistance, enjoing the GT:HD/MotorStorm demo, etc

Anyway, the latest food here is looking ace! A few days ago I made a giant batch (5l/21cups!) of

Chili (with Cornbread)

Chili.jpg

ingredients #1 (chili)

1 KG ground beef (2.2 lbs)
4 CUP canned tomato
2 CUP beef stock
4 CUP kidney beans (canned, pre-cooked with broth)
2 CUP dark beer (roasted malts or roast barley)
2 X lime
1 X bunch cilantro
5 X onion (diced)
6 X new mexican chile
3 X red bell pepper
4 X garlic clove (mashed)
3 X dried chipotle
2 TBSP ground guajillo chile
2 TBSP ground pasilla chile
1 TBSP ground piquin chile
4 TBSP cumin seeds (roasted)
1 TBSP koriander seeds (roasted)
2 TBSP ground celery seeds
4-8 TBSP sour cream

ingredients #2 (cornbread)

1 CUP flour
1 CUP cornmeal
1 CUP milk
2 X eggs
2 TBSP butter (melted)
1 TBSP baking soda
2 TBSP veg oil
1 TSP salt

first brown the beef (don't overcrowd, work in batches or use more pans/pots)

Chili_01.jpg

move the browned meat into one big pot, use some of the rendered beef fat to brown the onions

Chili_02.jpg

deglaze the big pot with half the dark beer and add the ground chile

Chili_03.jpg

stir-fry the beef until dry, then deglaze again with the rest of the beer

Chili_04.jpg

brown the diced onions until golden, then add them to the big pot

Chili_05.jpg

add half the tomatoes and stir-fry semi-dry and deglaze onion pan with beef stock

Chili_06.jpg

add rest of tomatoes, the onion-deglaze-beef-stock and the chipotles

Chili_07.jpg

ground roasted cumin and koriander seeds, then add it to the chili pot

Chili_08.jpg

give it a good stir and lower the heat to a simmer

Chili_09.jpg

add mashed garlic and ground celery seeds, fish out the hydrated chipotles

Chili_10.jpg

deseed the chipotles, discard the seeds and return the chipotles back to the chili

Chili_11.jpg

halve the bell peppers and the new mexican chiles, then place them under a broiler

Chili_12.jpg

roast them until their skin is blistering

Chili_13.jpg

remove one by one when good and collect in a bowl

Chili_14.jpg

cover the bowl for 15-20 min

Chili_15.jpg

remove the skin of the roasted veggies

Chili_16.jpg

dice the skinned and roasted veggies afterwards

Chili_17.jpg

remove the spend chipotles (the chili was simmering for around 2 hours by now)

Chili_18.jpg

add the beans and their broth, don't overcook them

Chili_19.jpg

add the skinned and roasted veggies, then simmer until the beans are done

Chili_20.jpg

pre-heat the oven and place an oven-proof pan into it,
combine the dry and wet #2 ingredients separately

Chili_21.jpg

whisk wet and dry together until smooth

Chili_22.jpg

oil coat the hot pan from the oven and pour in the cornbread dough

Chili_23.jpg

bake for 15-20 min (320F/160C) until golden brown,
test the doneness with a toothpick

Chili_24.jpg

don't let the cornbread cool off, it's best when still warm off the oven

Chili_25.jpg

serve chili with a dab of sour cream, ground cheese, cilantro and a piece of cornbread

enjoy

tnw

Banned
so I decided to experiement this weekend. They had some cauliflower on sale at my local market, so I decided to try a recipe with cauliflower.

After going through a bunch of recipies I kind of took the best part out of each of them and made one dish.

First I roasted one head of cauliflower and one turnip. I chopped up one stalk of celery , and sauteed everything together in a small soup pot. I added about 1/3 cup of water to let it simmer and also to give something for my hand blender to work with. I then pulsed it with my hand blender until it was smooth. I added about 1/2 cup of regular fat milk (instead of cream, sounded like it would cover up flavors too much), added some dill and about a tablespoon of gorgonzola cheese. Basically it came out as somewhere closer to a puree than a soup.

Next I bought a few scallops, and pan seared them. The recipe I was reading called for placing the scallops on top of some pan seared leeks in a shallow bowl, so that just the scallopes can be seen., but I didn't want to go to the store again, so I just used some grilled tofu cut a little thin. Poured the cauliflower puree in around the tofu, put a dab of gorgonzola in between the tofu and the scallops and sprinkled a little bit of dill on top of the scallops and dill on the puree.

I'm eating it right now, and it's pretty tasty! Discount produce is a good way to encourage creativity.

I have those exact some bowls, Onkel.

Endgegner

Hi everyone,

nice to see a cooking thread on GAF. The recipes and the picures are awesome. I also like to cook a lot and because I recently got a camera i feel like sharing some passion for cooking. I hope you understand what I write because I'm not really familiar with english cooking terms.

Today I cooked something healthy because I had a night of heavy drinking yesterday. Anyway, this is my greek potato casserole:

Ingriedients:

400 g potatoes
1 small eggplant
1 small zucchini
2 tomatoes
olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
salt
pepper
marjoram
100g sheep's milk cheese
8 spoons of milk

Cooking:

Cook potatoes with loads of salt.

2007_0210start0001_Grenvernderung.jpg

Slice the eggplant and the zucchini in not too thin slices.

2007_0210start0002_Grenvernderung.jpg

Fry them in a lot of olive till they get some color.

2007_0210start0003_Grenvernderung.jpg

Chop the garlic gloves up small...

2007_0210start0006_Grenvernderung.jpg

...and add them into to trying pan together with the salt, pepper and marjoram,

2007_0210start0007_Grenvernderung.jpg

When the potatoes are ready peel them and cut them into slices with a bit higher thickness then the other vegetables.

2007_0210start0008_Grenvernderung.jpg

Cut, cut, cut the tomatoes

2007_0210start0010_Grenvernderung.jpg

Mash the sheep's cheese with a pork and mix it with the milk

2007_0210start0011_Grenvernderung.jpg

Put all the vegetables mixed into a fire proof bowl

2007_0210start0012_Grenvernderung.jpg

and pour the sheep's cheese milk over it

2007_0210start0013_Grenvernderung.jpg

put this into the oven and use the broiler function. It should be finished after about 10 minutes (if you don't have a broiler just put it into the oven for 15 minutes at about 200 °C)

2007_0210start0014_Grenvernderung.jpg

And this is how it should look when it's finished:

2007_0210start0015_Grenvernderung.jpg

Bon appetit!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, that looks like a lot of beer can go along with the Chili, thanks for sharing!:lol

Welcome Endgegner, that looks like a fine Moussaka variant.

Same to you tnw, experimenting with stuff is a must.

I did some experimenting with filo dough yesterday, inspired by ChryZs "Salmon Wellington" from some time ago. I simply sauteed two small salmon fillets in butter and wrapped them in filo dough with some dill and herbal butter. Results were suboptimal, as the salmon overcooked a bit, but it leaves some room for further experiments. Salad and some sour cream/dill dip as s side dish:
smallCIMG4844.jpg

smallCIMG4845.jpg

Saltimbocca with a port sauce and pasta tonight.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Saltimbocca Time. Actually, it's a "Deutschladified" Saltimbocca, as I made it from pork instead of veal and used smoked ham instead of dried stuff. The bacon-wrapped prunes are not the official side dish to this, too. So, it is a cutlet inspired by Saltimbocca or something. Go figure.

Start:
smallCIMG4848.jpg

Finish:
smallCIMG4864.jpg

smallCIMG4865.jpg

Interest in the recipe/preparation?

OnkelC said:
Yes, please!

It was raining last week, so I put together some hearty soup.

SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH GOUDA-SAUSAGE TOASTS
1 pound dried green split peas
1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage (such as Kielbasa), split lengthwise
4 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
2 onions, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
3 large celery stalks, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
fresh parsley
1 large bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

2 1/2 cups firmly packed shredded Gouda (about 10 ounces)

Strong German-style mustard
12 1/2-inch-thick slices sourdough baguette, toasted

Combine first 9 ingredients in heavy soup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot; reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.

Transfer sausage to large plate; cut into bite-size pieces. Reserve 1/4 of sausage pieces; return remaining sausage to soup. Add 1 cup Gouda to soup and stir until melted. Thin soup to desired consistency with water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm

Preheat broiler. Mix remaining 1 1/2 cups Gouda with reserved sausage pieces. Spread generous amount of mustard on bread slices. Top with Gouda-sausage mixture. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown. Serve soup, passing toasts separately.

Pics!

385064020_cd17bc9ea1.jpg

Ingredients

385064098_91944dcf10.jpg

Cooking up the kielbasa quickly

385064145_a914bbb754.jpg

Cook the carrots, celery, and onion until soft in the kielbasa fat

385064408_b88a63eb75.jpg

Adding the dried split peas

385064443_f476e9d316.jpg

Add chicken stock

385064788_a1b3bb8dd8.jpg

1.5 hours later. (We went to a bar for a few drinks and left it simmering)

385065282_d1c797fd74.jpg

Prepping the bread with hot mustard and gouda

385065319_66b0dad3cf.jpg

Add parsley and gouda to the soup

385065392_e4c22696b7.jpg

The toasts after they came out of the oven

The soup turned out very well - it was a little bit salty, so you might want to use low-sodium chicken broth. The toasts were a great addition - spicy and crunchy to go along w/ the soup. I'll be cooking this again soon. Enjoy!

OnkelC said:

Yes, of course! It looks delicious!

ChryZ, you have my mouth seriously watering with your chili and corn bread! It looks so good and I'm so hungry right now...

And the split pea with sausage also looks fantastic, Cornballer. Great stuff from everyone.

So I made the Hearty Beef Stew Sunday evening for the birthday party of a friend of my parents. It was a pot luck dinner and everyone brought a dish. I forgot to bring my camera to the party though! Doh!

So on to the recipe!

Ingredients:

3 pounds chuck-eye roast , cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
4 ounces bacon , cut into small dice
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions , chopped coarse (about 2 cups)
3 medium cloves garlic , minced
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup red wine (preferably full-bodied)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 small boiling potatoes , peeled and halved
4 large carrots , peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup frozen peas (6 ounces), thawed
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

P1010009-3.jpg

A few points:

-Note for this recipe, I doubled it because I was cooking for a lot of people. There were about 30 guests at my parent's house.

-Chuck-eye roast is one of the most flavorful cuts of beef and its intramuscular fat and connective tissue suit it well for the long, slow, moist cooking that is stewing. When cooked in liquid, the connective tissue melts down into gelatin, making the meat juicy and tender.

-Stirring the flour into the sautéing onions and garlic, right before adding the liquid is an easier way to thicken the stew.

-The consistent, enveloping heat of the oven as opposed to the inconsistent heat of the burner is better for cooking the stew.

Heat oven to 300 degrees while you prepare and chop everything. Place beef cubes in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.

P1010012-2.jpg

P1010011-2.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

In a large soup kettle over medium heat, cook diced bacon until browned and crisp; about 5-7 minutes. Drain bacon bits on paper towel lined plate and reserve drippings separately. I used a large cast iron pot which fit perfectly in my oven, and has no plastic parts that would melt. It also holds the heat and distributes it well.

P1010014-2.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

P1010018-2.jpg

Leaving a bit of the bacon drippings in the pot, add beef to kettle in two separate batches. Brown meat on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, adding remaining tablespoon of bacon fat if needed. Remove meat and set aside.

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010020-2.jpg

P1010022-2.jpg

Add onions to now empty kettle; sauté until almost softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic; continue to sauté about 30 seconds longer. Again, add the reserved bacon drippings if needed.

P1010023-1.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

Stir in flour; cook until lightly colored, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits that may have stuck to kettle.

P1010026-1.jpg

P1010027-1.jpg

Add stock, bacon, bay leaves, and thyme; bring to simmer. Add meat; return to simmer.

P1010029-1.jpg

P1010030-1.jpg

P1010032.jpg

Cover and place in oven; simmer about 1 hour.

P1010033.jpg

Remove kettle from oven, add potatoes and carrots, cover, and return to oven. Simmer until meat is just tender, about 1 hour. Remove stew from oven. (Can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated up to 3 days.)

P1010034.jpg

P1010035-1.jpg

Add peas and allow to stand 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, adjust seasonings, and serve.

P1010040-3.jpg

Done! :)

P1010041-2.jpg

P1010044-2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to the both of you for the hearty-attacks!:lol I'll post the recipe in a few hours. Keep'em coming.

heavy liquid - that stew looks goooooood! The weather is cold right now, so I might try that out.

Just a few pictures of food here. I had my belated birthday party courtesy of my family on Sunday afternoon. Typically, the birthday boy or girl gets to pick whatever dishes they want cooked, and it's up to the rest of the family to provide their services. I requested spaghetti carbonara and lemon meringue pie, which I ask for every year. :)

388647428_a2751130aa.jpg

Some appetizers before dinner

388648838_5ed65e28a7.jpg

Fancy salad - featuring candied pecans, fennel, apple, bacon, goat cheese, and all sorts of other goodies. There was an apple cider dressing.

388649602_4ac67acb6d.jpg

Spaghetti carbonara. Pretty simple dish to cook w/ gaunciale, eggs, parmesan cheese, and some fresh ground pepper.

388649513_efa554647b.jpg

Cooking the carbonara

388649697_426f85a454.jpg

The whole lemon meringue pie

388649997_a4e0efa384.jpg

Slice of pie

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
posting my chili from my other thread to archive it here for posterity.. will edit this post to be more accurate when I get home and can look at some of the seasonings... sorry, no pictures :(

normally I use a crock, but the one I normally use is broken.. so I slow cooked it on the stove. put it on low and stirred it every 20 mins or so.

and yeah, normally I eat mine with fritos, cheese, and sour cream, which is also what I brought into work for the department. top it with sour cream and cheese, spoon it out with fritos scoops.

will post the full recipe when I get home. but to start it off:

3 lbs ground chuck
46 oz spicy tomato juice (aka bloody mary mix)
3-6 mushrooms sliced
1 carrot sliced
1 medium onion diced
2 minced fresh jalepenos
1 minced fresh habanero
1 whole fresh jalepeno with the stem chopped off
1 whole fresh habanero with the stem chopped off
1 garlic clove
salt
sugar
mexican oregano
cumin
chipolte seasoned black and red pepper blend
hot chinese mustard
some regular chili powder
some (forgot what seasoned) chili powder
some dried (forgot what kind) cherry peppers with seeds emptied in pot and skins put in
some dried (forgot what kind) chili peppers with seeds emptied in pot and skins put in

basically browned the meat with garlic, salt, and the black/red pepper blend, then dumped the actual ingredients in, cooked the shit out of it and seasoned with the above until it was right but mild, cooked for a total of three hours, let it sit in the fridge over night, then cooked two more hours at work in a slow cooker to reduce.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Heeeeeeere's Myke's Cheesecake!

This recipe arose from:

a) My intense love for cheesecake (the edible kind).
b) The scarcity of cheesecake recipes actually using considerable amounts of cheese.
c) The need for a good cheesecake recipe without eggs (which I'm allergic to).

Note: sorry for the awkward directions, but English is not my native language. The recipe is worth the hassle, though!

Ingredients:

Cookie base:
- 200 g regular dry sweet cookies (here in Portugal we call them Maria cookies. See image below)
- 125 g butter

Filling:
- 400 g ricotta cheese (or portuguese-style requeijão cheese. Do not use brazilian-style requeijão cheese)
- 200 g cream cheese (I use Philadelphia)
- 1 can (about 400 g) condensed milk
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 200 ml milk
- 9 sheets gelatin (or 1 1/2 packets powdered gelatin)
- Scrape from a lemon peel (or 3 table spoons lemon juice)

Sauce:
- 150 ml port wine
- 3 table spoons sugar
- 200 g red fruits (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, whatever suits your taste)

Grind the cookies and melt the butter. Mix butter with grinded cookies until you obtain a granulous dough. Press into the bottom of a large pie plate with removable sides (see plate pic below).

Mix all filling ingredients except milk and gelatin. Heat up the milk and dissolve the gelatin in the milk. Add the milk with gelatin to the rest of the filling ingredients.

Pour the filling mix into the pie plate, and put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours.

Put the wine and the sugar in a pan, and boil over a small fire for 2 minutes while blending with a spoon. Mix in the red fruits and boil for 3 more minutes, until the fruits break up. Let it cool down.

Pour the sauce over the cold filling. Keep in the fridge and remove the plate sides only when about to serve.

Enjoy!

Here's a pic of the kind of cookies you should use:

And here's the kind of plate you should use:

Thanks a ton to all of you who put some effort into this thread, I wish I had the time and ability to cook anything right now. I'm currently living in a hotel room until the end of the month with a microwave and microfridge, hmm, hmm good.

I have question for OnkelC, are there any German vegetarians? I'm just curious because the food you make looks unbelievable, but I don't eat any meat and every German dish except for the potato casserole above seems to have some ham crammed in one place or another.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wooooo, new contenders! Welcome Myke, borghe and reggie! Thank you for the fine dishes, the cheesecake sounds especially nice.

Cornballer, the carbonara looks ace.

reggieandTFE said:
I have question for OnkelC, are there any German vegetarians? I'm just curious because the food you make looks unbelievable, but I don't eat any meat and every German dish except for the potato casserole above seems to have some ham crammed in one place or another.
:lol
Yes, the traditional German cuisine is a bit meat-centered, but there is a good amount of vegetarians around these parts of the world, too.

Sundays' Saltimbocca was easy to make, it's a cutlet filled with ham (Yes, I know reggie)and sage, served with a port wine sauce and pasta. The original variant is made with veal, but I went for some pork cutlets instead. As a side dish, I made some bacon-wrapped prunes for taste.

First, tenderize the cutlets until they are roughly twice their original size, salt and pepper the inside and layer it with some sage leaves and a slice of smoked ham. Close the cutlets with a toothpick:
smallCIMG4853.jpg

smallCIMG4857.jpg

smallCIMG4858.jpg

Salt and pepper the outside, too.

For the prunes, wrap each one up with a slice of bacon and fix the lot with a toothpick:
smallCIMG4849.jpg

smallCIMG4851.jpg

smallCIMG4852.jpg

Fry the prunes without oil in a hot skillet until they start to take some color, then add the cutlets. They will take the bacon/prune arome with them, giving a unique taste:
smallCIMG4859.jpg

smallCIMG4861.jpg

After 8-10 minutes, the cutlets should have taken a golden brown colour. Remove them as well as the prunes and deglaze the pan with a good helping of port:
smallCIMG4862.jpg

Finish Line:
stir in some creme fraiche, put the cutlets back in and serve alongside with some pasta (tagliatelle here):
smallCIMG4863.jpg

smallCIMG4864.jpg

smallCIMG4865.jpg

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Only pharmaceuticals for me for the last few days, as I caught the flu. Keep sharing your dishes to cheer me up a bit!

ChryZ

Awesome looking food, guys.
Oh and get well soon, OnkelC.

I'm still kinda busy, but last night I've managed to try something new:

Chicken Adobo

Chicken_Adobo.jpg

"A common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns." (1)

ingredients #1 (chicken adobo)

4 X chicken drumstick
9 X garlic clove (pretty much one head, minced)
6 X black pepper corn
2 X bay leaf
1/3 CUP soy sauce
2/3 CUP rice wine vinegar
1 CUP chicken stock
2 TBSP veg or peanut oil

ingredients #2 (garlic fried rice)

2 TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP veg or peanut oil
2 CUP cooked rice

heat a pot and fry the minced garlic in some oil until golden

Chicken_Adobo_01.jpg

add vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves and pepper corns

Chicken_Adobo_02.jpg

add the drumsticks and bring to boil

(it's also possible to marinate the chicken in vinegar, rice wine and garlic for up to 24h before cooking)

Chicken_Adobo_03.jpg

flip the chicken from time to time, keep them boiling for 5-10 min

Chicken_Adobo_04.jpg

add hot chicken stock, lower heat and simmer covered for 15-20 min

Chicken_Adobo_05.jpg

heat oil in another frying pan and add the chicken (somewhat drained)

Chicken_Adobo_06.jpg

pan-fry the chicken until golden, the sauce can reduce a little in the meantime (uncovered)

Chicken_Adobo_07.jpg

clear the frying pan and park the chicken in the reduced sauce to keep it warm

Chicken_Adobo_08.jpg

add oil and garlic to the frying pan (watch the heat, don't burn the garlic)

Chicken_Adobo_09.jpg

add the rice when the garlic is golden and stir-fry until the rice is homogeneous and hot

Chicken_Adobo_10.jpg

serve the chicken adobo on garlic fried rice and drizzle some extra adobo over it

enjoy

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm going to try to make chili for the first time today. are there any special ingredients you guys put in that make it taste wonderful?

ChryZ

mattiewheels said:
i'm going to try to make chili for the first time today. are there any special ingredients you guys put in that make it taste wonderful?
Well browned beef, onions, garlic, beans, chile peppers and some time.
Haste makes waste ... okay that's too harsh, but sub-par chili for sure.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
here's the trick to chili. the finer the peppers are ground, the less time you have to cook it. if you are making it from store bought chili powder (and there are actually some really great powders out there) I really don't see you needing to let it go for more than an hour tops, maybe even half an hour. but if you are using your own crushed peppers, whole peppers (dried or not), etc, then your time will rise considerably. Using nothing but a ton of dried peppers you might end up simmering it for up to 12 hours to break them down and infuse the chili with them.

if it's your first time I might just put in a couple dried peppers and mostly powder and let it simmer for maybe an hour. unless you want to try a longer one.

Back to cooking!

I've been doing a cleanse for the past two weeks, which is why I haven't been cooking much. But that's a topic for another thread. Anyways, I ended it yesterday, so now it's back to cooking!

Tonight I made Pad Thai

I didn't get as many shots as I would've liked because I was cooking and preparing everything so fast. But it should do.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons tamarind paste
3/4 cup water (boiling)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
8 ounces dried rice stick noodles , about 1/8 inch wide (the width of linguine)
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon table salt
12 ounces medium shrimp (31/35 count), peeled and deveined
12 ounces extra firm or pressed tofu
3 cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (1 tablespoon)
1 medium shallot , minced (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons dried shrimp , chopped fine (optional)
2 tablespoons Thai salted preserved radish (optional)
6 tablespoons chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
3 cups bean sprouts (6 ounces)
5 medium scallions , green parts only, sliced thin on sharp bias
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
lime wedges

I forgot to buy the dried shrimp and preserved radish unfortunately. It's optional, but would have been nice to have in there. *sigh* Not a big deal.

Cover rice sticks with hot tap water in large bowl; soak until softened, pliable, and limp but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain noodles and set aside. Beat eggs and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl; set aside.

P1010031-2.jpg

Soak tamarind paste in 3/4 cup boiling water for about 10 minutes, then push it through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds and fibers and extract as much pulp as possible. Stir fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons oil into tamarind liquid and set aside.

P1010032-1.jpg

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet (preferably nonstick) over high heat until just beginning to smoke, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, tossing occasionally, until shrimp are opaque and browned about the edges, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to plate and set aside.

P1010033-1.jpg

Off heat, add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and swirl to coat; add garlic and shallot, set skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes.

P1010036-2.jpg

add eggs to skillet and stir vigorously with wooden spoon until scrambled and barely moist, about 20 seconds.

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

Add noodles, dried shrimp, and salted radish (if using) to eggs; toss with 2 wooden spoons to combine.

P1010039-1.jpg

Pour fish sauce mixture over noodles, increase heat to high, and cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are evenly coated.

P1010040-4.jpg

Scatter 1/4 cup peanuts, all but 1/4 cup scallions, tofu and cooked shrimp over noodles; continue to cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are tender, about 2 1/2 minutes (if not yet tender add 2 tablespoons water to skillet and continue to cook until tender).

P1010041-3.jpg

P1010043-2.jpg

P1010046-4.jpg

P1010045-3.jpg

Transfer noodles to serving platter, sprinkle with remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons peanuts, bean sprouts and cilantro; serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.

P1010047-3.jpg

P1010049-3.jpg

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
looking good heavy liquid, thank you very much for sharing! That looks like a good worked- in Wok btw.

ChryZ, the chicken adobo is also nice, the marinating-by-heat of the drumsticks is intriguing.

Keep'em coming!

tnw

Banned
I made some Palak Paneer again the other night. And I have a question.

The first time I made it, I started out frying the cumin seed a bit in oil, per the directions.

The next time, I ground up the cumin in a mortar, kind of assuming that it would bring out more flavor.

I used an awful lot of spinach the second time, so that might be part of the reason, but it just didn't taste quite the same/as good the second time around.

Anyway, if I had known palak panner was so easy to make, it would have become a staple in my kitchen a long time ago. I usually subtitute the cheese with tofu. Not quite as good, but it's such a spicy dish anyway, it's not horibly missed.

OnkelC said:
looking good heavy liquid, thank you very much for sharing! That looks like a good worked- in Wok btw.

ChryZ, the chicken adobo is also nice, the marinating-by-heat of the drumsticks is intriguing.

Keep'em coming!

Thanks! Yeah, you can tell that I've used the wok more than a couple times. :lol

Tonight I made Okonomiyaki.

From the Wikipedia entry:

Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き, Okonomiyaki) is a pan-fried Japanese dish cooked with various ingredients. Okonomi means "what you like" or "what you want", and yaki means "grilled" or "cooked" (cf. yakitori and yakisoba); thus, the name of this dish means "cook what you like, the way you like". In Japan, okonomiyaki is usually associated with the Kansai or Hiroshima areas. Toppings and batters tend to vary according to region.

Okonomiyaki is often compared to an omelette, pizza, or pancake, and as such is sometimes referred to as "Japanese pizza" or as "Japanese pancake." Many okonomiyaki restaurants are set up as grill-it-yourself establishments, where the server produces a bowl of raw ingredients that the customer mixes and grills at tables fitted with special hot plates.

In Osaka (the largest city in the Kansai region), where the dish is said to have originated, okonomiyaki is prepared much like a pancake. The batter and other ingredients are fried on both sides on either a hot plate (teppan) or a pan using metal spatulas that are later used to slice the dish when it has finished cooking. Cooked okonomiyaki is topped with ingredients that include okonomiyaki sauce (similar to Worcestershire sauce but thicker and sweeter), nori, fish flakes, mayonnaise and ginger.

My okonomiyaki was more in the Kansai style rather than the Hiroshima style, as my ingredients were mixed rather than layered, which is the main difference.

Here's a good picture of a Japanese Okonomiyaki restaurant:

Okonomiyaki_2.jpg

Anyway, on to the recipe!

You may need a Japanese or Asian market near you to find all of these ingredients.

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups water
1 tbs Hondashi (bonito flavored powdered soup stock)
3 eggs
2 cups flour
5 oz. shrimp, sliced in half lengthwise
2 or 3 stalks green onion, chopped finely
10 oz. cabbage, shredded
Dried shaved Bonito
Ao-Nori (seaweed flakes)
Potato starch powder

P1010017-2.jpg

Prepare your ingredients. Cut cabbage, shrimp, green onion and prociutto. Because this is "what you like", the toppings and ingredients are nearly limitless. You can mix in ground beef, potatoes, carrots, bacon, fish, almost anything. This makes it a GREAT dish to make when you have leftover ingredients. I used procuitto and shrimp, which is a combination that I love.

P1010019-2.jpg

P1010021-2.jpg

P1010023-2.jpg

P1010030-2.jpg

Mix 1 Tbs. of hondashi in 1 1/3 cups of water and stir well.

P1010022-3.jpg

Beat eggs, add to flour, potato starch, dashi water and stir until lumps are gone and batter is smooth.

P1010024-2.jpg

P1010026-2.jpg

P1010027-2.jpg

P1010028-2.jpg

Now, mix in the rest of your ingredients. The cabbage should be the last ingredient you add. Save a bit of the ingredients to place on top of your pancake. When you add the shredded cabbage the amount may seem a bit overwhelming, but once it is mixed in well, the cabbage will be coated with the batter and will settle into the mix.

P1010031-3.jpg

P1010032-2.jpg

Drop a portion of batter onto an oiled and heated frying pan over medium heat, and then smoosh it down to form a pancake-like disc.

P1010033-2.jpg

Place the rest of the ingredients on top of the pancake while the bottom side is cooking.

P1010035-3.jpg

When the edges start changing color, it is ready to flip. The process is just like making a pancake. The other side should be golden in color. Mine was a bit well done. :)

P1010036-3.jpg

Flipped over after the second side is cooked.

P1010037-1.jpg

Sprinkle with the dried bonito shavings and ao-nori, and then spread mayonnaise and the okonomiyaki sauce on top. If possible, you should bring the skillet to the table and eat it off of that right away, so the pancake keeps warm. It's best eaten with a nice cold beer.

P1010038-1.jpg

P1010040-5.jpg

P1010044-3.jpg

P1010042-2.jpg

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
delicious, heavy liquid, thank you for sharing.:) The mayonnaise on top is a nice finishing touch. It's also interesting to see an egg carton made from styrofoam, those were discarded here several years ago.
I hope my taste buds will return to working status some time this week so I'll be able to contribute something new, too.

Keep'em coming.

tnw

Banned
Okonomiyaki can be really hit or miss. I hate the places that are like 'gasp! white person! we better cook the okonomiyaki for him' Half the fun of it is making it yourself. Japanese people also tend to be a little liberal with their use of mayonnaise for my tastes. They often put a mustard mayonaise mix on it, which is tolerable to me. Most of the time, I just go with aonori and sauce.

My personal favorites are mochi/cheese and italian style okonomiyaki (has green peppers and some tomato sauce in it)

In Kanto (Tokyo area) Okonomiyaki resturants usually also serve monjyayaki. It more or less looks like vomit, but it's soooo tasty. I always get kimchee monjayaki.

c-monjya.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
Okonomiyaki can be really hit or miss. I hate the places that are like 'gasp! white person! we better cook the okonomiyaki for him' Half the fun of it is making it yourself. Japanese people also tend to be a little liberal with their use of mayonnaise for my tastes. They often put a mustard mayonaise mix on it, which is tolerable to me. Most of the time, I just go with aonori and sauce.

My personal favorites are mochi/cheese and italian style okonomiyaki (has green peppers and some tomato sauce in it)

In Kanto (Tokyo area) Okonomiyaki resturants usually also serve monjyayaki. It more or less looks like vomit, but it's soooo tasty. I always get kimchee monjayaki.

c-monjya.jpg
What are the five white balls?

tnw

Banned
Quail eggs? scallops maybe? You can put all kinds of different things in there, those things are just a topping.

ChryZ

heavy liquid said:
Tonight I made Okonomiyaki.

My okonomiyaki was more in the Kansai style rather than the Hiroshima style, as my ingredients were mixed rather than layered, which is the main difference.

Very nice! I'm all for more okonomiyaki love, hehe and the chance to pimp my version from VOL1 some more:

Okonomiyaki_12.jpg

ChryZ said:
Very nice! I'm all for more okonomiyaki love, hehe and the chance to pimp my version from VOL1 some more:

Nice! I had totally forgotten that you cooked okonomiyaki back then. But then, I can barely remember 3 pages back. :lol

OnkelC said:
delicious, heavy liquid, thank you for sharing. The mayonnaise on top is a nice finishing touch. It's also interesting to see an egg carton made from styrofoam, those were discarded here several years ago.
I hope my taste buds will return to working status some time this week so I'll be able to contribute something new, too.

Keep'em coming.

Thanks! The mayonnaise and Okonomiyaki sauce are standard when making Okonomiyaki. Other ingredients will vary, but those toppings are almost there.

That's funny about the egg carton. They're phasing out the styrofoam here too (many are in a cardboard carton now), but it's still available as you can see.

ChryZ

So, I've made something new:

Saewoo Gochujang Bokum
(prawn chili-sauce stir-fry)

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum.jpg

20 X black tiger prawn
4 X garlic clove (big ones, sliced)
1 X ginger (thumbsized, julienned)
1 CUP scallion white (thinly sliced)
1 CUP scallion green (roughly sliced)
1 CUP bean sprouts
1/5 CUP rice wine
2 CUP cooked rice
2-4 TBSP sesame oil (pressed from roasted seeds)
2 TBSP honey
2 TBSP chili flakes
1 TBSP anchovy sauce
1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
1 TBSP gochujang
2 TBSP roasted sesame
1 TSP mung bean paste

saute garlic slices and julienned ginger in some oil

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum_01.jpg

add prawns and gently stir fry at medium to high heat

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum_02.jpg

add the scallions' white once the prawns turned all pink and stir fry for a moment

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum_03.jpg

add mixture of gochujang, rice wine, anchovy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil,
stir fry for a moment then add chili flakes, roasted sesame and scallions' green

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum_04.jpg

add bean sprouts, season with honey when the scallions' green wilted a little and the sauce thickened

Saewoo_Gochujang_Bokum_05.jpg

serve on a bed of rice, garnish with some more roasted sesame and a drizzle of sesame oil

kingsized serving :lol

it turned out great, I can't wait to eat this again ... enjoyjoy :D

tnw

Banned
Chryz, are you korean? You cook a lot of Korean food, which is probably my favorite type of food. I had a nice tofe chigae which I dumped some kakuteki (daikon kimchee) into. I drank a whole 1.5 liter pitcher of barley tea, the waitress just came over and put it at my table :lol :D

I like experimenting kochejan (Gochujuang I guess? I only know Japanese pronounciations). I pan fried some gyoza, and then poured in a mixture of kochejan diluted in ponzu (yuzu soy sauce). It's the best mixture of fire, salt and sour, and goes great with gyoza. Try it some time :)

Looks like you've got a nice kitchen set up too!

Hooker

I was wondering that as well. What are you roots, and where do you live now? I love the dishes you make, but can't usually reproduce them as some of the ingredients aren't the easiet to come by. (Hell, I don't know how to pronounce most of them)

And you need to do something about those servings. Those are girl-portions :p For reference, I need 2.5 cups of rice just for me (cups you get with the rice cooker) Your dishes always look like appetizers haha

ChryZ

tnw said:
Chryz, are you korean? You cook a lot of Korean food, which is probably my favorite type of food. I had a nice tofe chigae which I dumped some kakuteki (daikon kimchee) into. I drank a whole 1.5 liter pitcher of barley tea, the waitress just came over and put it at my table :lol :D

I like experimenting kochejan (Gochujuang I guess? I only know Japanese pronounciations). I pan fried some gyoza, and then poured in a mixture of kochejan diluted in ponzu (yuzu soy sauce). It's the best mixture of fire, salt and sour, and goes great with gyoza. Try it some time :)

Looks like you've got a nice kitchen set up too!
Thanks for the kind comment. Potsticker in hot sauce, very innovative! Gotta try it some day.

Hooker said:
I was wondering that as well. What are you roots, and where do you live now? I love the dishes you make, but can't usually reproduce them as some of the ingredients aren't the easiet to come by. (Hell, I don't know how to pronounce most of them)

And you need to do something about those servings. Those are girl-portions :p For reference, I need 2.5 cups of rice just for me (cups you get with the rice cooker) Your dishes always look like appetizers haha
:lol

I'm 100% Caucasian, born and raised in Europe.

The ingredients are usually available at stores, which also carry Japanese products. Especially bigger cities are the way to go.

Girl-portions, eh? Feel free to double or triple :lol

heavy liquid said:
Looks great, ChryZ!
OnkelC said:
looks luxurious ChryZ, thanks for sharing!:)
Thank you, guys. I really appreciate it!

ChryZ said:
Girl-portions, eh? Feel free to double or triple

Crazy portions is part of the reason why the US is so fat.

http://onhealth.webmd.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56611

Despite France's rich cuisine, the French are decidedly slimmer than Americans. Only 7% of French people are obese, compared with 30% of Americans.

-The average portion size in Paris was 25% smaller than in Philly.
-Chinese restaurants in Philly served meals that were 72% bigger than Parisian Chinese restaurants.
-A candy bar in Philadelphia was 41% larger than the same candy bar sold in Paris.
-A soft drink was 52% larger, and a hot dog was 63% larger.
-A carton of yogurt was 82% larger.

Hooker

I'm born and raised in Europe as well, Holland. With a brief spell in my mother's country, Curaçao. Just a big lad with a healthy appetite :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Simple Tuna pate with onion

Finally got new phone with camera, so i can take pictures. This is my favourite quick snack, tuna pate with onion. This stuff is saving my life

Ingredients:
- Tuna can (90-180g), in my case Rio Mare
- fair slice of butter
- sour cream (white stuff on spoon)
- onion (half will be enough)
- olive oil (not on pic)

1.jpg

You can also add garlic, papirka, chillies.... On hardware, you only need small mixer and 5 minutes for preparation + 2 minutes for cleaning. :)

Important rule - do not use oil from tuna can. It is awful, so add some olive oil into mixer together with tuna
2.jpg

Add butter, sour cream and use mixer
3.jpg

4.jpg

Voila. You should get nice, soft tuna pate. If it is too liquid,(it can happen, when you use fresh vegetables) add more butter.
5.jpg

Chop the onion and add it into mixer
6.jpg

7.jpg

Use the force, ups, mixer and this is final result on two slices of white bread. You can also use tortilla chips for some dipping action
8.jpg

9.jpg

Enjoy :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nice and easy to make pate, thank you for the recipe and pics! With some broth added, it would be a nice tonnato.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fun with household appliances
I recently bought this retro-styled toaster. making roast bread is a plain fun thing to do with this thing:
smallCIMG4936.jpg

Put in a slice of bread:
smallCIMG4931-1.jpg

smallCIMG4933.jpg

Wait until the colour is as you wish, then open the thing, the bread slice will slide around and roast the other side:
smallCIMG4935.jpg

Yum.
smallCIMG4929.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom