• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

Gestault

In what way does this have anything to do with hoping Microsoft doesn't bend over customers?

Let's ignore that e.g. Steam offers an incredible online service at no cost at all, let's ignore the use of vague terms like "feature set" or "community tools/features", let's even ignore that other companies offer sales without having to subscribe and/or offer even more (PS+), let's even ignore how incredibly US-centric the entertainment features of Xbox Live are, let's instead focus on how not giving consumers a choice ("free online or pay for additional stuff" would be a start) is bullshit.

And again, why not both?

Charging a small fee for access to services that aren't offered elsewhere, alongside discounts which with a single purchase can more than cover the cost of that subscription is not what I'd classify as bending over the consumer. Considering the money in the console industry, I hope you'd accept that a service like Steam and console platforms are very different services, despite both housing games. If Steam were what people purchasing consoles secretly really wanted, they would simply use Steam.

If you re-read what I actually wrote, using this generation as an example, there was/is the choice between paying for a service which has features no other console competitor has in addition to game discounts, or simply not having access to those features at all. If you want to argue with both this idea making sense and things also having played out exactly that way in the marketplace, feel free, but your emotional investment aside, I think my point stands to both reason and what we've observed.

What do you expect? That a mod will close the thread with the info that this rumor isn't true? ;)

I don't think there's enough info around that can completely confirm or deny this 100% yet, so I doubt they're going to close this thread anyway, don't worry :p Speculating is fun! Maybe detective gaf will find a juicy LinkedIn profile or something like that, who knows! :D

Mik_Pad

Banned
So we can assume this game started as a multiplatform project since they were hiring PS3 programmers, MS must have paid a lot to secure exclusivity specially if it isn't timed exclusive.

What I find more interesting is that Destiny was going to be next gen exclusive to MS according to the leaked documents but that changed, what could have happened? Did MS changed their mind when they saw Respawn's game?

I don't think there's enough info around that can completely confirm or deny this 100% yet, so I doubt they're going to close this thread anyway, don't worry :p Speculating is fun! Maybe detective gaf will find a juicy LinkedIn profile or something like that, who knows! :D

DetectiveGAF GO!

kuYuri

Calling it now.

Respawn would go with Source engine for 60FPS.

They won't (probably can't) go with Frostbite as it's an internal EA engine. Respawn isn't owned by EA, so they don't get access to FB. Even if they were, I have a feeling they will keep their 60FPS mantra from their days in IW.

TrutaS

They must have been paid a huge amount of money for this. It is sad that this exclusivity thing is coming back. However, this is not the game to make me truly angry. I don't really care about it yet and would only buy it for PC anyway. Might be a good move for xbox fans though, the COD community might dig it.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Calling it now.

They won't (probably can't) go with Frostbite as it's an internal EA engine. Respawn isn't owned by EA, so they don't get access to FB. Even if they were, I have a feeling they will keep their 60FPS mantra from their days in IW.
I'm sure FB can achieve 60 FPS in the right hardware.

DocSeuss

EA is making an exclusive? I'll believe it when I'll see it. Also - not an exclusive if it's on PC also.

EA isn't making an exclusive, Respawn is making a game being published through EA's Partners program. Apparently it's the last EA Partners game. The game is, as far as I know, wholly owned by Respawn, because dealing with Activision after Call of Duty was a nightmare for them.

Also, Mass Effect was an Xbox exclusive once.

Calling it now.

Source engine? I don't think they need to use source to get 60FPS on NG lol. They could always use CE3 optimized for 60FPS and it would be much better, wouldn't it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Source engine game exclusive to Origin.

0392_mbjor.gif

Gorillaz

So we can assume this game started as a multiplatform project since they were hiring PS3 programmers, MS must have paid a lot to secure exclusivity specially if it isn't timed exclusive.

What I find more interesting is that Destiny was going to be next gen exclusive to MS according to the leaked documents but that changed, what could have happened? Did MS changed their mind when they saw Respawn's game?

This is what I was thinking bout as well. What is Respawn making that seems better than Bungie?

360 version prolly gonna be pretty rough if they are aiming for Durango exclusivity and handing the downport to another studio as an afterthough.

Prolly better this way anyhoo. This or just not bothering with 360 at all.

Zeppelin

Calling it now.

You need to sit down and think about how engines work. I'll give you a hint: tell your engine to do less shit, hit the 60. Tell it to do more fancy shit, miss the 60. You can do both with both engines, even if the latter probably requires some heavy modifications in the Source case.

kuYuri

Source engine? I don't think they need to use source to get 60FPS on NG lol. They could always use CE3 optimized for 60FPS and it would be much better, wouldn't it?

Forgot to mention, input lag. These guys were also all about having as little input lag as possible. Crysis 2 and BF3 had more input lag compared to your average Source game I believe.

You need to sit down and think about how engines work. I'll give you a hint: tell your engine to do less shit, hit the 60. Tell it to do more fancy shit, miss the 60. You can do both with both engines, even if the latter probably requires some heavy modifications in the Source case.

You're probably right. Either way, this is all speculation and rumor, along with my part, lol.

Calling it now.

They had better stick to 60. I've been expecting it all along.

Tobor

This transition period between this generation and the next is sure full of foregone conclusions in the face of zero facts...

Do I really need to qualify every statement with an "in my opinion" or "if this is true"? I figured it was obvious and implied.

Rat Salad

Banned
Lets see... a scifi shooter, exclusive, Microsoft marketing, EA on board, damn Microsft is bringing the pain already! Better buy a next gen XBox now or start shedding the salty tears! :D Next gen is serious business!

Hindle

Banned
There is no sides when it comes to exclusivity. It's the money that talks and MS have plenty to spend. Bethesda and 2k/Rockstar, don't rule out MS securing something from them.

Lets see... a scifi shooter, exclusive, Microsoft marketing, EA on board, damn Microsft is bringing the pain already! Better buy an next gen XBox or start shedding the salty tears! :D Next gen is serious business!
Might want to look around before you fly that MS flag proudly, lol

LuuKyK

Respawn goes to Microsoft.

Final Fantasy goes to Sony.

Sony wins the battle so far (for me).

Thats an easy win for me too. Only comparing these two though obviously. And considering FF really is exclusive (which I am inclined to believe).

But thats a cool adition to MS portfolio of games, even if its yet another FPS, Xbox is where big part of the audience is so that will grant them some extra console sales for sure.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meltdown after meltdown. Before E3, my popcorn will be popped and I'll be wearing my flood boots for all the tears.

This revalation doesn't really have brought out the drama of previous shockers, maybe because we haven't seen the game yet. One thing is sure, E3 will be epic.

Iacobellis

It all depends on how the game is. If it turns out to be shit, then who will care? Xbox and the 360 had the well known Halo name, and then Call of Duty once the series started to become popular.

GodofWine

A futuristic man vs man-w-machine is certainly not going to do cod or bf numbers...and my guess is respawn knows this and will take the upfront payoff with the limited sales potential vs rolling the dice...and I base this nothing but my worthless gut feelings

What were you expecting from Respawn?

The problem for me comes from MS chasing exclusivity of it, when they could have used the money to fund a new I.P that tries to push boundaries and bring something new to the table instead of being s sci-fi FPS. And yes I'm aware I'm making dumb assumptions but what can I say, I'm cynical.

Vamphuntr

Fairly interesting and weird to see an exclusive from EA if it's true. What would they gain from this outside of a money hat?

jett

D-Member
With all the talk of exclusivity and EA-related rumor this should've been expected. I don't understand why is Microsoft paying for this shit though, nor do I understand why is EA/Respawn leaving Playstation money on the table either. Exclusives really don't make much sense to me.

Personally, can't say I care about yet another shootbang. We have enough of those.

Top Bottom