• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I really, really liked Shireen Baratheon, BTW. Wonderful little actress with a beautiful spark behind the ugly makeup. I wish her well, although that line of Melisandre about the Lord of light demanding sacrifices makes me a bit scared for her :-/

Also, I am SO NOT READY for a Tyrion-Sansa wedding. No Tywin, staph.

Edit: Am I the only one who felt like the director/writers crammed a lot of stuff in just one episode? I swear some parts were demanding a bit of breathing room to accomplish the intended effect, like Dondarrion's resurrection and Ygritte's completely sudden crush on Jon.

Madness

I really, really liked Shireen Baratheon, BTW. Wonderful little actress with a beautiful spark behind the ugly makeup. I wish her well, although that line of Melisandre about the Lord of light demanding sacrifices makes me a bit scared for her :-/

Edit: Am I the only one who felt like the director/writers crammed a lot of stuff in just one episode? I swear some parts were demanding a bit of breathing room to accomplish the intended effect, like Dondarrion's resurrection and Ygritte's completely sudden crush on Jon.

I think they hit on almost all stories except Bran. They probably caved to show fans and book readers. Show fans who want to see their favorite characters and book readers who need as much detail in episodes as possible.

"Sudden"

Agreed. Wonderful scenes if somewhat a little heartbreaking. I really wish we saw more of Dragonstone.

I swear some parts were demanding a bit of breathing room to accomplish the intended effect, like Dondarrion's resurrection and Ygritte's completely sudden crush on Jon.

It'd been built up for a while to be honest, one of their first conversations was about sex and how they spend the whole night spooning with Jon's boner making it awks.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Okay, she had the hots for him, but things went from "I wanna jump your bones" to puppy eyes in just two seconds.

Jon Snow must have some magical D.

Yeah no woman ever has become emotionally attached to someone immediately following sex. Stupid Game of Thrones, so unrealistic.

Halvie

Banned
How accurate was yesterday's episode to the books?

Rob gave up a potential 50% increase in troops by not marrying that girl?

Then even risks losing 50% by going against the advice he was given and executing that guy and acts shocked?

uhhh....

And Tywin knew about the incest, but doesn't bring it up till now?

probably the weakest episode of the series.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah no woman ever has become emotionally attached to someone immediately following sex. Stupid Game of Thrones, so unrealistic.

Only that Ygritte is an experienced wildling. I wasn't expecting her to become so attached after boinking a first timer. Maybe they don't go down past the wall.

Trasher

Only that Ygritte is an experienced wildling. I wasn't expecing her to become so attached after boinking a first timer. Maybe they don't go down past the wall.

Wildling men are gross. Jon Snow is the hottest shit she's ever seen! Kissing the whispering eye also blew her mind.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Only that Ygritte is an experienced wildling. I wasn't expecing her to become so attached after boinking a first timer. Maybe they don't go down past the wall.

Once you find someone that will go near your stinky spot (seriously when is the last time she bathed) you are apt to get pretty attached. Better than waiting until nine years into your marriage to figure out that your so won't give your down below any love.

Ferrio

Banned
Once you find someone that will go near your stinky spot (seriously when is the last time she bathed) you are apt to get pretty attached. Better than waiting until nine years into your marriage to figure out that your so won't give your down below any love.

They use icicles.

You guys are forgetful. Bolton was in season two, a picture of him is even in the OP from that season. He was one of Robb's most prominent advisers and the one who gave the news that Theon took Winterfell and said he would send his troops to take it back. HE WAS THE BALD GUY. Though he looks less bald this season somehow. Jorah also schemed to have Dany killed in season one in return of letting him back in Westeros with a pardon, but he changed his mind. The decision to kill Dany was a huge scene and caused Ned to quit being the hand.

Anyways my review.

Beric vs. Hound:
pumped.gif

Phoenix Down on Beric:
austin_omg.gif

Jon Snow and Ygritte:
aww-yea.gif

Robb Stark scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Gendry and Arya splitting:
Will-Smith-Yelling-No-I-Am-Legend.gif

Jamie scenes:
sad_face.gif

Olenna vs. Tyrion:
2pac.gif

Stannis' family:
urkel.gif

Dany scene:
tumblr_m9uzh81Lny1qkhhyto1_400.gif

Tywin:
Kobe-Reaction1.gif

Really good episode all around. Jamie's "redemption" still has me conflicted. He is a complex character, but it's hard to ignore everything he's done. I hope we get an Olenna vs. Tywin scene, she can shut up Tyrion but I want to see how she stands up against Captain Legacy.

One of the greatest Gaf post of all time. Confirmed.

Madness

Then even risks losing 50% by going against the advice he was given and executing that guy and acts shocked?

uhhh....

Wrong thread. This is the no books thread. Meaning zero comparison between the books and the shows, etc. The other thread is for the show with book spoilers.

Here we like to think the books don't exist lol.

Halvie

Banned
Wrong thread. This is the no books thread. Meaning zero comparison between the books and the shows, etc. The other thread is for the show with book spoilers.

Here we like to think the books don't exist lol.

:( Well did anyone else at least get the feeling something was cut out of the Rob part?

don't do it

cut

does it

cut

oh god they did leave

I am so fucking pissed about what Robb did, although from his characters perspective I understand. You just know this shit is going to fuck him somehow. I have a running theory that in the Game of Thrones world, the outcast are the ones who thrive Sam, Brienne, Arya, Jon Snow, Tyrion, Dany etc. Also the fucking dicks thrive, Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Margery etc. But if you're a good, honorable person, you're fucked; Sansa, Ned, Mormont etc. I mean, I like how GOT is different than most shows in this regard but, as a person who considers themselves "good", it's hard to see bad shit happen to good characters in the show.

I am so fucking pissed about what Robb did, although from his characters perspective I understand. You just know this shit is going to fuck him somehow. I have a running theory that in the Game of Thrones world, the outcast are the ones who thrive Sam, Brienne, Arya, Jon Snow, Tyrion, Dany etc. Also the fucking dicks thrive, Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Margery etc. But if you're a good, honorable person, you're fucked; Sansa, Ned, Mormont etc. I mean, I like how GOT is different than most shows in this regard but, as a person who considers themselves "good", it's hard to see bad shit happen to good characters in the show.

Yeah, but watching Ned fumble through season one laid that out. It's fucking maddening when rewatching the season. He's too set in his ways and it's his downfall.

Things are heating up.

So, let's discuss Jon. I feel like the Night's Watch oath is stupid. Considering they're an order, I think it would make a lot MORE sense if they DID allow the men to hold wives and lands. Make the Nights Watch an actual house. That way, you wouldn't have to man it with the scum of Westeros.

Anyway, Jon is officially an oathbreaker now. He can't go back to the watch, right? They'll kill him for breaking it, even though he's basically (at least, for now) working as a spy. Then again, with the Wildlings coming to crush the wall right now, and the Lord Commander dead, I don't even know what the fate of the watch as we know it will even be.

Additionally, I was pretty much like :D when Jon and Ygritte finally did it. We've been waiting for it since they were introduced.

Things I didn't see coming:

The death of the Lannister boys. Not good.

Beheading the guy that killed them! Even worse.

Loras being SUCH an idiot. That smelt like a setup from the moment I saw the guy giving him the eye.

Tywin creating a dynasty by forcing Cersei and Tyrion to marry Loras and Sansa. Like, WHAT?! And imagine how Shae is going to react. He'll almost certainly tell her, right?

I want to believe Jamie isn't full of shit as far as the bath scene with Brienne, but I don't. I don't trust him. I feel like this is all a ruse. We'll see, but even if he did what he did to save lives, it still doesn't change the fact that people are losing theirs every minute in that world because he fucks his sister.

Great episode, will watch again.

Oh! Almost forgot. Ayra and Gendry. NOOOOOOOOOOOO! They were so cute! I actually teared up a little. "I've never had a family." "I'll be your family!" ; ; So sad.

I MUST know more about the Lord of Light. That's the biggest hook of this entire series for me. It's been that way every since Mellisandre was introduced. I want to know everything about that religion.

Ripclawe

Banned

The entire world for the most part is based on what is the best option for ME. I like how everyone is telling Robb, don't do it because half your army will leave and he doesn't think ahead.

:(

Every interview I've seen of Dance features him being so excited about working on the show, and praising the material/acting/etc. He has some of the absolute strongest scenes in the show IMO, such as his introduction (that was a real stag btw) and the one where he named Tyrion the Hand in S1. And of course his great scene with Tyrion earlier this season.

Halvie

Banned

If his character's perspective is that of an idiot I would agree. 100% he is going to die now.

RDreamer

Where's Theon fit in this? lol

Yeah, but watching Ned fumble through season one laid that out. It's fucking maddening when rewatching the season. He's too set in his ways and it's his downfall.

Yeah, however on my first watch, I had no idea that THAT was coming. I mean, I thought he'd be, at worst, cast off as a traitor and it just end there but it went so far beyond that. GOT can be so fucking unforgiving to truthful people. That's why I think Dany certainly has what it takes to win the throne. She's honorable and yet she has cunning AND she can be ruthless. She's fucking awesome. And hot to boot :)

UrbanRats

You guys should give Tywin a break.
If it wasn't for him everybody in King's Landing would have been raped and killed by now, or burnt alive to the God of Light.
Cersei got the rough deal, but Sansa is still better off with Tyrion than with Joffrey.
It's not like anyone else is enjoying themselves in that world, anyway.

Tywin is all about tough love and playing the long game, probably why is the only Lannister nobody can fuck with.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, however on my first watch, I had no idea that THAT was coming. I mean, I thought he'd be, at worst, cast off as a traitor and it just end there but it went so far beyond that. GOT can be so fucking unforgiving to truthful people. That's why I think Dany certainly has what it takes to win the throne. She's honorable and yet she has cunning AND she can be ruthless. She's fucking awesome. And hot to boot :)

Ned tried going agaisnt his honour at the end for the sake of his daughters, but it was too late unfortunately.

Loomba

Robb is seriously going to ask Filch for help after he blatantly broke a pact with him? and killing the Karstark (sp?) guy was a mistake too.

As my favourite character I really thought he had the momentum and he was winning all of them battles in S2, now he just seems to be making terrible decisions... too honorable for his own good.

Robb is seriously going to ask Filch for help after he blatantly broke a pact with him? and killing the Karstark (sp?) guy was a mistake too.

As my favourite character I really thought he had the momentum and he was winning all of them battles in S2, now he just seems to be making terrible decisions... too honorable for his own good.

Weird too as he seemed to be excited at the prospect

Isn't Tywin basically acting King lol? When even Tyrion and Cersei are scared shitless of Tywin, I can't see Joffrey getting upset at taking orders.

I'm still waiting for when he says he'll stop Joffrey from doing what he likes. I love that little shit getting put in his place.

Joffery doesn't seem interested at all in running the realm, legislating, or planning the war...all of which Tywin does. But stuff like the Kingsguard is right up his alley in terms of control - while Tywin doesn't have to get approval to fight the war, ultimately the Kingsguard is appointed by the king. We'll see though, Tywin is smart enough to trick Joffery into doing what he wants lol

uhhh....

I think you are confusing bad choices the characters are making with bad storytelling. This week's episode was one of the best so far, though you may disagree with the choices some of the major players are making.

Halvie

Banned
I think you are confusing bad choices the characters are making with bad storytelling. This week's episode was one of the best so far, though you may disagree with the choices some of the major players are making.

Would be putting it lightly.

Turn down the opportunity to add a substantial amount of troops to your army.

Enemy gets the army that was fighting against them.

Knowing this you chance losing half your army.

dumb,stupid,terrible, awful, laughable

RDreamer

The thing about Robb's decision with Karstark was that he was pretty damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. Basically, he had already lost. Karstark openly defied him, and did what is considered a treasonous act. If he doesn't get what's coming to him, then that says you can openly defy the guy you're supposed to be fighting for as king. It loosens his power. If he does do it, then obviously he loses the Karstarks, but his remaining army is obviously going to be a bit more loyal. With Karstark alive, things would be broken down anyway. He was already instigating things and just didn't like the direction. He thought Robb had already lost the war. You can't win a war with a major faction like that.

So, really, he lost before that decision was even made.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Would be putting it lightly.

Turn down the opportunity to add a substantial amount of troops to your army.

Enemy gets the army that was fighting against them.

Knowing this you chance losing half your army.

dumb,stupid,terrible, awful, laughable

Are you suggesting the Karstark's are going to go fight for Tywin Lannister?

The thing about Robb's decision with Karstark was that he was pretty damned if he did, and damned if he didn't. Basically, he had already lost. Karstark openly defied him, and did what is considered a treasonous act. If he doesn't get what's coming to him, then that says you can openly defy the guy you're supposed to be fighting for as king. It loosens his power. If he does do it, then obviously he loses the Karstarks, but his remaining army is obviously going to be a bit more loyal. With Karstark alive, things would be broken down anyway. He was already instigating things and just didn't like the direction. He thought Robb had already lost the war. You can't win a war with a major faction like that.

So, really, he lost before that decision was even made.

I agree with this. It's terribly unfortunate, and kind of ridiculous. Those two were like Lannister COUSINS, weren't they? It wasn't even proportinate retribution. The only way the debt would have been paid was via someone like Joffery, Tyrion, Tywin or Jamie. It would have made more sense to just wait, attempt to win the war, and then let the Karstarks go on a rampage for Lannister blood after.

Of course, this is a series where nobody makes the best decisions.

Loomba

That was the weirdest part. He was all like, "Woo! This is such a good idea!!!" Frey is gonna be pisssssed. Unless he lies about his marriage, but I feel like everyone know eveyones business on this show.

Robb has thousands of men, I think it's safe to say Frey knows about the marriage.

jaxword

The Lord of Light seems like an evil god that is all about fire. Fire is the only thing that stops the White Walkers. Are there competing evil deities in this universe or is this all different shades of the same black magic?

Just like in the real world, there's many cults and religions that claim their own God is the right God and the other ones are just pretenders and deceivers.

I can't stand these comments calling the Lord of Light followers a cult. Followers of a religion where higher powers act directly isn't the definition of a cult. Might as well call the Starks a cult with that criteria.

All religions are cults until they grow and become powerful enough to be considered legitimate. Christianity was a cult to the ancient Romans, for example.

Still not liking Ygritte. And I have to admit I kinda reeled back when she got naked, the girl looked malnourished.

How should a nomadic girl, constantly running and living on scraps in a barren wasteland, look? It's not as if there's Coke and fries at the local McDonald's.

I have a hard time hating on Jamie anymore. Yeah, he tossed Bran out of a window when he got caught banging his sister. (and looking at Cercei, can't really blame the guy).

Attempted murder of a child isn't enough to hate someone? Also he killed someone innocent in his cell when he escaped.

uhhh....

The title of the thread is no book spoilers, dude...

But no, Tywin doesn't necessarily know; his attitude is to Get Things Done. In other words, it doesn't matter if they are or not--he just wants the rumors to stop, and this is how they're going to stop. End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom