• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Since we have other threads for the show specifically for people who have read the series, I'd like to ask that they refrain from posting in this thread. I don't believe anybody has been deliberately posting spoilers under the guise of working things out, but it can be easy to forget where you learned a specific bit of information, especially if you read it a long time ago or started reading just after you got into the series. Then again, maybe some people are doing it deliberately. Please be considerate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original OP:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xjFimmJ.jpg

***Please read the rules regarding spoilers below.***

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the best selling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The third season premieres Sunday, March 31st at 9PM on HBO. The 10 episode season 3 will cover roughly the first half of “A Storm of Swords”, the third book in the ASOIAF series.

HBO’s Press Release on Season 3:
HBO said:
As Blackwater Bay cools, the victors consolidate their power and rebuild King’s Landing. But new challengers for the Iron Throne rise from the most unexpected places. Characters old and new must navigate the demands of family, honor, ambition, love and – above all – survival, as the Westeros civil war rages into autumn.

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic story of treachery and nobility set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years, and only the lust for power is eternal. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series returns for its ten-episode third season SUNDAY, MARCH 31 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

As season three begins,
the Lannisters hold absolute dominion over King’s Landing after repelling Stannis Baratheon’s forces. Yet Robb Stark, King in the North, still controls much of the South as well, and has yet to lose a battle. In the Far North, Mance Rayder has united the wildlings into the largest army Westeros has ever seen. Only the Night’s Watch stands between him and the Seven Kingdoms, but nobody knows what happened to its Lord Commander and the force he led beyond the Wall.

Across the Narrow Sea, Daenerys Targaryen – reunited with her three growing dragons – ventures into Slaver’s Bay in search of ships to take her home and allies to conquer it.

FmUe5mr.jpg

hgJ45.jpg

SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

If you want to get some answers to something, PhoenixPause and timetokill have volunteered to answer questions via PM. Feel free to PM myself as well.

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Jipsz.gif

js6Vvi3.jpg

hMFzQ.jpg

Cast
The cast of Season 3 will see 45 members of the cast, not including recurring characters. There will once again be a host of new cast members joining the fray this season. To see the full cast for the first three seasons, check out WiC.net's cast page and HBO’s cast page.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish)
xc4w0Xc.jpg
ImdZjOx.jpg
uJiIxtH.jpg
BYyQ2up.jpg
DZI9xA3.jpg
sHXVCPV.jpg

Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark)
zGvUXgX.jpg
1jCUXQ1.jpg
WAdix0D.jpg
Gh3d76G.jpg
Fco044N.jpg
85VvqpX.jpg

Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly)
URqUAoe.jpg
ZrAghkG.jpg
YZfS1OY.jpg
tZI3Sgz.jpg
ymKvRth.jpg
F1LzW7O.jpg

Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), James Cosmo (Commander Jeor Mormont), Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Rose Leslie (Ygritte)
tV1fA42.jpg
6fAPsCS.jpg
5rWIboL.jpg
NB4iKHB.jpg
lDYbHQw.jpg
fAeh7JY.jpg

Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Ciarán Hinds (Mance Rayder), Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell), Mackenzie Crook (Orell), Clive Russell (Brynden “The Blackfish” Tully), Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei)
J4WVk4v.jpg
D08BSde.jpg
Bqv0bBE.jpg
x28ledi.jpg
k8KLKff.jpg
LohYsYg.jpg

Kerry Ingram (Shireen Baratheon), Paul Kaye (Thoros of Myr), Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed), Ellie Kendrick (Meera Reed), Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane)
SQmv1fU.jpg
Gf0f3Z8.jpg
sppfiuC.jpg
xNffxpT.jpg
TqJfXTz.jpg
bJr5phf.jpg

Philip McGinley (Anguy), Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse Baratheon), Tobias Menzies (Edmure Tully), Anton Lesser (Qyburn), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Noah Taylor (Locke)
ikQ1wwX.jpg
wW6oDFt.jpg
qeTk9l4.jpg
Pa2Ofvw.jpg
yam9cnp.jpg
kqzrqKU.jpg

Crew
The same writing staff from season 2 will return to write season 3 including David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Vanessa Taylor, and George R.R. Martin. The directors for season 3 is a mix of returning and new directors. Returning directors include Dan Minahan, David Nutter, and Alik Sakharov. New directors to the series include Alex Graves (The West Wing), Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead), and show runners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.

kVa4lsn.jpg

oe2rO7L.jpg

Trailers & Promos

Clips

Behind the Scenes

Promo Images

s4jO3qw.jpg

obTUa.jpg

Season 3
Game of Thrones returns for its third season on March 31st, 2013. The season will once again consist of 10 episodes. For those that have read the novels, the third season will cover roughly the first half of A Storm of Swords.

Episodes

301: Valar Dohaeris (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Dan Minahan) | Content Roundup
302: Dark Wings, Dark Words (Written by Vanessa Taylor, Directed by Dan Minahan) | Content Roundup
303: Walk of Punishment (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Benioff) | Content Roundup
304: And Now His Watch is Ended (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves) | Content Roundup
305: Kissed by Fire (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Alex Graves) | Content Roundup
306: The Climb (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alik Sakharov) | Content Roundup
307: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Michelle MacLaren) | Content Roundup
308: Second Sons (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michelle MacLaren) | Content Roundup
309: The Rains of Castamere (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter) | Content Roundup
310: Mhysa (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter) | Content Roundup

svbfrKa.jpg

yJFeE.jpg

Links

GAF Threads
TV Threads:

Book Threads:

rk6db1p.jpg

NOG386q.jpg

The Daily Beast:
Season 3, which will depict roughly the first half of Martin’s A Storm of Swords, will present Benioff and Weiss with their greatest challenge yet, as both sides attempt to pick up the pieces after the last season’s climactic Battle of the Blackwater. The first four episodes of the new season, provided to critics ahead of its premiere, demonstrate a canny ability to fuse the literary with the visual, resulting in an exhilarating and magnificent thing of beauty, particularly in those scenes that make full use of locations as diverse as Iceland, Croatia, and Morocco.

While Season 3, like the novel on which it is based, takes a little while to get going, when it does pick up speed, it soars—particularly in the sensational third and fourth installments (“Walk of Punishment” and “And Now His Watch Is Ended”), both written by Benioff and Weiss. The first episode back lacks energy and intensity, but provides a necessary foundation off of which to build dozens of separate plots for the scattered characters.

Cultural Learnings (some spoilers):
At any given moment, Game of Thrones is a very satisfying series dramatically, with lots of rich, well-drawn scenes featuring characters we’ve become attached to and new characters that continue to demonstrate the skill of the show’s casting department. There are big, exciting moments in these opening episodes, and the fourth hour ends on what is one of the most satisfying sequences in the show’s three seasons. However, that big climax comes at the cost of intriguing but ultimately thin glimpses of that story in the previous three episodes, slivers of narrative that are enjoyable but lacking in the substance necessary to leave an episode feeling like you’ve seen something, well, substantial.

Variety Review
Success hasn’t spoiled the HBO series, but rather enriched it — rendering the sets and visual effects seemingly more sumptuous, and the array of gaudy British talent within the sprawling cast even deeper. Perhaps more ostentatiously than anything else on the pay service, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss’ unflinching adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s books straddles the line between theatrical blockbuster and dense multi-pronged TV serial. At its best, it’s big, bloody and downright glorious.

x19pm.jpg

• The season starts on March 31st at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 10 episodes.
  • Winter is Coming.

Amir0x

Banned
i will just watch this thread so I can vicariously live through you guys eyes. what a treat this season will be for you folks. Enjoy :)

I've been watching Season 2 on BR again this weekend, and that 1080p Wildfire... goddamn.

The wait for this season seemed so long last year - if only I knew how quickly time would fly, and here we are :D

Brace yourselves. Winter is coming :D
For me april 1st though. In the netherlands we get it a day later then you guys, but can"t complain i guess cause 2 years ago we even did not have hbo :p

Also, great op

KorrZ

Glad there's a no book spolilers thread again. That other thread is like walking through a field of land mines!

I'm so looking forward to this. At least I'll have Easter Dinner to make Sunday go by a little quicker.

Miletius

I'm mid way through book 4 and still like the TV series. It has it's flaws but I'm willing to overlook them. I am actually considering subscribing to cable for a couple of months to catch it fresh.

Bigfoot

I can't wait for another awesome season with great tits and action.
I can't wait for another season of GAFers complaining about great tits and lack of action.

Seriously though, I hope this season is as awesome as the last two. I'm half way done my season 2 re-watch on Bluray.

Koko

Banned
I guess it's that time of the year when I'll read more carefully the thread title.

There is a lot of new characters, can't wait.

RangersFan

I can't fucking wait, though I might be migrating to a different thread soon. I'm tearing through book 3 right now, and may get to book 4 and 5 i'm estimating before episode 3.

So as long as the ratings are good for this we'll get a season 4, right? I mean it's only the first half of season three so I'd hate for it to get cancelled midway through the book. But George R.R. Martin might take another five years to write the last books, imagine how long it would take for this series to cover all of them!

Battle of Blackwater was pretty cool though, does Tyrion have that scar on his face for the remainder of the series, took a while to get used since I'm used to his flawless face, but it's cool I guess.

I want Stannis to kill Joffrey, I hate that kid...

RDreamer

So as long as the ratings are good for this we'll get a season 4, right? I mean it's only the first half of season three so I'd hate for it to get cancelled midway through the book.

I have no doubt in my mind that we're getting a season 4. I'm pretty sure they greenlighted season 3 just after 2 started. All the trailers and hype on the internet tells me Season 3 literally can't be enough of a disappointment to cancel it.

Jeels

Looks like I will be making my home in here.

Does anyone know if HBO will do something like make the first episode free to watch? AMC did that for The Walking Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom