• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Announces House of the Dragon, a Game of Thrones Prequel

iorek21

House Of The Dragon, a Game of Thrones prequel is coming to HBO.

The series is co-created by George RR Martin and Ryan Condal. Miguel Sapochnik will partner with Condal as showrunner and will direct the pilot and additional episodes. Condal will be writing the series.

74634401_10157011765417734_5340966530370764800_n.jpg

EDIT: House of the Dragon, sorry

Sauce:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm down for this! I've always been interested in this part of the background lore of Game of Thrones. I need to get around to reading Fire & Blood.

Totally down. It's going to be a big budget dark fantasy. You guys act like it's actually awful. They still have access to all the production teams, the directors, and George RR Martin. No reason it couldn't be awesome. Even if its average it'll be entertaining if you like the world it's set in

Totally down. It's going to be a big budget dark fantasy. You guys act like it's actually awful. They still have access to all the production teams, the directors, and George RR Martin. No reason it couldn't be awesome. Even if its average it'll be entertaining if you like the world it's set in
We saw what they made with eight seasons already

Fox Mulder

I hope it doesn’t become popular like GoT. I am still salty that GoT became a pop culture fad.

GoT had a huge mainstream audience even if the ending was divisive at best. They could probably hook a decent enough amount back even if it sucks. I doubt it’s getting a huge budget like GoT too.

Catphish

No GoT Star Wars
No GoT prequel
Other GoT prequel

What a day.

Edit: Also, after that s8 ending, you're high if you think I'm gonna risk going through that again. I'll wait til it finishes its run.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'll wait until this is finished and if people say it's worth it I'll binge watch it.

Not going to spend years waiting for some big conclusion again for them to fuck it up

No one was interested in the prequel because of the chump Night King, so seeing the reaction to this series is pretty funny considering no matter what, when all is said and done with this series, Bran the Broken is still going to be on the Iron Throne. Prequels and sequels only work if the original story is solid. And Game of Thrones is not solid.

Ar¢tos

To me prequels = squeeze more money out of a story.
Star wars episode 1-3 (mainly 1) still haunt my enthusiasm for prequels.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Ryan Condal eh. Anyone see Colony? Any good?

TWjE4NI.png
wtf is that Logan's Run remake still happening
they're gonna ruin it I KNOW IT

Right now everyone's got their own fantasy series--BBC's got His Dark Materials (airing internationally on HBO), Amazon's got Lord of the Rings and The Wheel of Time, Netflix has The Witcher, Narnia, and Shadow and Bone. HBO doesn't want someone else recapturing that magic they once had ;p

Banned
No one cares. Amazing how they managed to kill any interest people had in these expanded GoT universe shows with that massive dive in quality over the last few seasons.

This.

They killed the series letting those idiots close it. I have no interest

finowns

Hopefully they go for style instead of an intricate plot. Only Martin could pull it off. They should do tight seasons with very tight plots if they try to emulate Martin it's going to be terrible.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Ryan Condal eh. Anyone see Colony? Any good?

I watched it. Decent enough in terms of the premise for a network show (very reminiscent of Half-Life 2 as it was Earth under Alien occupation). The downside to it was that they tried to lean a bit too much into LOST Territory (Carlton Cuse was a Showrunner/producer) in terms of the pacing with the first season and I think the blue balling of the audience kind of bit them in the ass in terms of the viewing figures, and despite two more seasons that were going somewhere storywise it didn't cut it in the viewing figures (doubly annoying as it ended on a massive cliff hanger just like HL2...).

Also wasn't aware that HBO pulled the plug on 'Bloodmoon' although tbh. having a show set 5000 years ago always struck me as a bit of stretch as far as credulity goes.

Ambivalent about 'House of the Dragon' though because TBH Fire and Blood is just fucking dull as shit, plus we already know what happens (The Targ King walks it into the back of the net and fucks his sisters silly in the process).

What is the setting of the new show. Is it Aegon conquering Westeros?

That seems to be the premise

Last edited:

HoodWinked

i feel like the track record on prequels for any work of art in movies, tv series, books or videogames is absolutely abysmal.

The cancelled show was a completely different period run by different show-runners that has nothing to do with this show, so no.
i think it could be done in a clever and relevant flash forward/flash back kind of way

maybe a cold open where something is happening in the past or future that is relevant to what is about to happen in the episode

Tevious

i think it could be done in a clever and relevant flash forward/flash back kind of way

maybe a cold open where something is happening in the past or future that is relevant to what is about to happen in the episode

They could do that, but it would be new material between the Targaryen civil war and then flash backs to Aegon's conquest, which are the 2 main periods covered in Fire and Blood.

The stuff they did for Bloodmoon (the cancelled prequel) isn't relevant to the period of House of Dragons. Bloodmoon was cancelled because it was a complete disaster.

Kadayi

Banned
Bloodmoon was cancelled because it was a complete disaster.

Is there any talk on this with the deets anywhere? I legit wasn't aware that HBO had pulled the plug until I saw it mentioned yesterday with the announcement of House of the Dragon. I feel sorry for Naomi Watts and Miranda Richardson though, as they are both great actresses.

Cimarron

To be quite honest I would have preferred the Long Night after how the way they treated it in the main series left a bad taste in my mouth. More incest yay! 😑

Jon Neu

Banned
I'm intrigued. Targaryen history is infinitely more interesting than CotF/WW shit.

I don't think is more interesting per se, just that in the TV series they absolutely destroyed all the good things about the CotF and the WW with the last seasons. But in the books, the CotF and the WW are still super cool and intriguing as fuck.

I'm happy they cancelled the Bloodmoon prequel, it had too many red flags.

Top Bottom