• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hope to introduce Retro's new Wii U game in 'not so distant future'

Yeah, it seems like she has a few sources, but some of them are either full of shit or she extrapolates what they say behind the limits of credulity.

Oh, I agree. She probably DOES have some sources, but the other parts are also true... since her sources (or her interpretations) are only right half the time or less, you can't rely on her for anything.

(INSERT FAIL HERE)

So, just like every outsourced project by Nintendo ever?

Even outside first parties have NCL supervisors in SPD or EAD.

Yep. Which is why I don't see why people don't think Nintendo would allow Retro to work on it. Nintendo was pretty pleased on how/where they took Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns, there is only 2 other franchises left that are higher tier, that would be Mario and Zelda... and of the two, I don't think Miyamoto would let Mario be outsourced.

(edit) And yes, that was Paul gale.... lol fail on my part.

You know what?

I would be OK with a non-Mario Kart racer from Retro. As long as it did something interesting with the genre. A futuristic cross-country action/racing/strategy Mach Rider reboot or something.

Dr.Hadji

Yes, your statements have completely converted my sentiments..... oh wait, no it didn't.

It's obvious that Nintendo has run a little dry on the idea well. I loved skyward sword, the story was by far the best of any Zelda game (IMO of course), but aside from motion+ and a stamina meter we didn't really get any new gameplay features.

I never understand when people say this. How is making a western style Zelda (aka borrowing/using westen gaming conventions) instead of using gaming conventions created by (and at the time) only found on Nintendo consoles (Motion+ and touch screen) going to provide us with any "new" gameplay features?

8bits

Banned
Hmmm.... a retro Zelda may actually be the ONE exception I'd make to them not going a brand new IP.

Zelda needs a western reboot.

(edit) A Retro studios made Zelda that is.

Just out of curiosity, what would a western reboot look like? Are you talking about the fundamental gameplay elements or something like the overall design, look and feel of the game?

Effect

I'll be disappointed if it's an FPS.

That is what Nintendo needs. It's a significant gap in their line up, especially since no one else is going to make one for the system and the WiiU versions of CoD will likely continue to be afterthoughts.

Tuck

Hmmm.... a retro Zelda may actually be the ONE exception I'd make to them not going a brand new IP.

Yeah thats not happening. Which is why Star Tropics would be a great alternative. But thats not happening either.

AntMurda

Nah, F-Zero should be co-developed with Sega.

You might see a SEGA logo but a bunch of different people working on it. It be a different game if Nintendo contracted SEGA again. Nintendo would also not spend as much money on that once giant Arcade-Console megaton project that saw very little revenue. Nintendo needs to find an efficient model that works for F-Zero.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm borrowing this from Shinobi's thread, but this would be an example of what I was thinking of.

Nintendo said:
"We originally planned to release a few first-party titles for Wii U during the first half of this year, but no big titles are scheduled for release before Pikmin 3 in July [in Japan] because we decided to take time to add the final touches to ensure that consumers fully feel that they are valuable titles. The brand of a franchise would be completely degraded without customer satisfaction.

"The reason for the delayed release of our first-party titles was the fact that completing the games released at the same time as the launch of Wii U required more development resources than expected, so some staff members from development teams working on other titles had to help complete them. In short, the development teams of Pikmin 3 and other future games were understaffed during that period."

Iwata also said that software development is becoming more challenging as consumers are being more selective about purchases.

"It is true that it is becoming increasingly challenging to meet the expectations of consumers who are willing to pay $50-$60 for a game, and it is difficult to break even unless a huge number of units is sold all over the world, so it cannot be denied that software development is becoming more challenging.

"Among such packaged software, however, the sales of popular games are much larger than in the past. Therefore, if we create more hit games, the software development business can still be very profitable. All games break even if they sell millions of copies worldwide, so we will continue to do our best to develop games which have high sales potential."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-game-delays-says-projects-were-understaffed/

I wouldn't think Mario Kart is Retro's only or primary project, but there might have been a need to have them help again, with the project they're making entirely by themselves coming something later.

I definitely could be wrong though.

Xun

Why a western Zelda when it could be StarTropics?

It would be interesting to see their take on a similar game.

Just out of curiosity, what would a western reboot look like? Are you talking about the fundamental gameplay elements or something like the overall design, look and feel of the game?

Definitely not a full blown "turn it into skyrim" type thing, but I mean more open world and with less stylized (though definitely not "realistic" either). Something that's just a complete different take.

Races all need to be heavily redesigned. The last major enemy/character redesigns were with OoT (compare Zoras from LttP to OoT for an example for how extreme the changes should be)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There was some weird character designs in Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, you sure about that? :p
Those quirky designs are part of the Zelda charm. Also one aspect of western reboots that often disgusts is the look, so why not avoid that? That and the worst thing Retro could do is try and imitate what the Japanese staff draw.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I also want to say that I disagree with the guys saying Zelda needs a western reboot, even though its a bit on the side of this thread, and I dont get why people believe that being put in the arms of a western developer would all of a sudden give us any more gameplay innovations. However, I DO agree that Zelda should go back to a less cartoony style, hopefully something along the lines of the Wii U-presentation from 2011.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm hoping 'not so distant future' means E3.

I am hoping, by fuck am I hoping, that its a new IP, and Retro's game will be the "ah not an old Nintendo franchise" breath of fresh air blowing through their booth's line-up.

If after all these years its just another storied franchise outing, I will pour a 40 out for creativity.

Meelow

Banned
Hoping it's a new IP, or maybe a reboot of Star Tropics in full 3D HD.

If Rare could make new IP's back in the N64 days than Retro can too.

Why a western Zelda when it could be StarTropics?

It would be interesting to see their take on a similar game.

I wouldn't be against Star Tropics, that's practically a new IP at this point ;)

I'd just rather they try and take something that is popular and grown a little stale and rework it. Zelda is stuck in a serious rut, a HUGE change, even a "not as good" one may encourage them to continue their experimentations instead of what they've been doing... which has just been refinement.

To be clear, there is NOTHING wrong with the current Zelda games, or in refining games... but after 15 years of refinement it's time for a huge shake up and I think the only way it's going to happen is if an outside studio gets to do most of the work. EAD guidance is okay, as long as Retro has creative control.

Zelda doesn't need a reboot and CERTAINLY NOT a western one. That would be a terrible idea. Not to mention most western devs now wouldn't even be capable of designing the dungeons in Zelda games as I haven't seen any western game that even comes close (heard Darksiders did?)

Mario Kart? Well, by this fall, it'll be too late for Nintendo to make any real inroads with core gamers beyond their existing fanbase, so they might as well admit that they're giving up.

Zelda doesn't need a reboot and CERTAINLY NOT a western one. That would be a terrible idea. Not to mention most western devs now wouldn't even be capable of designing the dungeons in Zelda games as I haven't seen any western game that even comes close (heard Darksiders did?)

This isn't just any western studio though, it's Retro. The company that successfully made Metroid Prime a first-person game. Also, again the point would be to be different. A Zelda game made by another dev to mimic the current style would defeat the point.

Davey Cakes

I'm excited just because the game has been kept under wraps for so long.

It'll be a big reveal just because of the buildup. People have been very curious for a while now, with not hint on what Retro are actually working on.

For some reason I doubt it's a Donkey Kong or Metroid sequel. And people talking about Retro Zelda need to shut up already. It's not going to happen.

Dr.Hadji

I'd just rather they try and take something that is popular and grown a little stale and rework it. Zelda is stuck in a serious rut, a HUGE change, even a "not as good" one may encourage them to continue their experimentations instead of what they've been doing... which has just been refinement.

To be clear, there is NOTHING wrong with the current Zelda games, or in refining games... but after 15 years of refinement it's time for a huge shake up and I think the only way it's going to happen is if an outside studio gets to do most of the work. EAD guidance is okay, as long as Retro has creative control.

Eh, I don't agree with this at all. I think we've gotten plenty of new dynamics not only unique to Zelda but unique to gaming. Maybe you can list some features/area where you think some common western/Retro design could change things up?

Neo Child

Banned
This is all possible, but we still have that quote from the Retro employee, don't we? The one where he said "we're working on something everyone wants us to work on".

Is that REALLY Mario Kart?

Also did they not say that Retros involvement in MarioKart 7 was just for Donkey Kong Country assets?

I don't even think it's needs tons of fixes. It'd say these 3 would be a huge change

1. A large connected world. Twilight Princess attempted to do this but it didn't have...
2. Tons of secrets and areas that allow use of dungeon items outside.
3. More natural dungeons

I think the issue is that the games have bits and pieces of what we want but never all of them together. If we had a large connected overworld like TPs with the level of interaction that each SS "hub area" had, I think those two things would go a LONG way. And then more natural dungeons like the Yeti Mansion

Top Bottom