• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE exec teases "an amazing big title coming to Vita" [Not an indie title]

ReaperXL7

For those that might not know Tony Clark is Shahids boss........I want to believe, but Tony talkng about Fainting, and blacking out might be alittle overboard, or they really did snag something substantial.

maltrain

Have you ever played either? They're entirely sprite based, it's impossible unless they want to go back and redraw all of both games for a Vita exclusive.
They don't.

I don't need a Suikoden 2 HD version.

I ONLY need the ORIGINAL Suikoden 2 on PSOne Classics (and Vita of course).

Believe... :(

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I find it ironic Sony hypes this amazing big PSVita title and doesn't expect it to move any hardware units. Either this game is niche (most probable scenario), or they think the Vita is in such a terrible situation that this game won't even make a dent hardware wise.

Either way colour me extremely sceptical. It's like what you must be joking, your transparent as hell.

AmanoBuff

The results will end up being similar to the GI reveal thread. Pretty much it has to be Half Life 3 or plenty people will be disappointed.

A lot of people will be disappointed no matter what they announce, unless they announce not one, but three or four AMAZING titles ranging a variety of genres at the same time, which is highly unlikely outside of major conferences like E3.

The worst part for me is that he is not giving a timeframe, so it could be a day, or a month. Nobody knows.

DBT85

is he gonna give us more information about the game? I hope so, we need a lot of RPG, JRPG for the vita.

Not about that tweet he wont no, he would have done it already.

He just wants to be able to interact with the community like lots of people that are in the business.

Just surprising it's taking the PTBs this long to authorise his account.

Drek

I find it ironic Sony hypes this amazing big PSVita title and doesn't expect it to move any hardware units. Either this game is niche (most probable scenario), or they think the Vita is in such a terrible situation that this game won't even make a dent hardware wise.

Either way colour me extremely sceptical. It's like what you must be joking.

That or they just realize the Vita's biggest barrier to acceptance is price, which they currently can't do anything about without risking a bunch of red ink.

I don't think this is going to end very well for Shahid, but then, I would think that, wouldn't I? We'll see.

Z2XmndZ.png

I wonder if it has something to do with the thing LiquidMetal14 and Chubigans were teasing in the Mike Bithell thread.

Daaamn. All aboard!

Someone needs to ask when its being announced...E3?

Yep, given their hardware forecast for the Vita for the next year, this is going to be nothing. Well, nothing that will move the needle for non-Vita owners. At least that's the message Sony themselves are sending.

Oersted

Right now its one dude teasing it. A not really well known one. Hyping is quite a stretch.

It's the same thing but reversed to what they did last year. They thought Vita was gonna be selling around 10 million units a year last year. They revised it down now after having to do the embarassing thing and cut it every quarter. It's much better to expect to sell less and sell more than expecting to sell more and sell less in the end. In fact say Vita sells 7 million next year because Sony will release GT on it and will get a proper COD game and there will be a GTA game announced for the platform (dream scenario that is not going to happen, but let's pretend it will) it would still be better for Sony to just say they will sell 3-4 million because they can come back and say 'look how Vita is overperforming, it's such a great product'. If they projected 7 million they'd meet expecations, nothing huge, if they projected 10 million they were underperforming and that's worrying for the investors.

Now you might be thinking why doesn't every company underestimate in that case? Some do, in fact. But the thing is you can get away with it on a product that most investors don't care about (and let's be honest if you're a Sony shareholder you don't give a shit about Vita, you might care how the Gaming division is getting on).

5 million is underperforming. 7 million is underperforming.

Mario007

I find it ironic Sony hypes this amazing PSVita and does expect it to move any units. Either this game is niche (most probable scenario), or they think the Vita is in such a terrible situation that this game won't even make a dent hardware wise.

Either way colour me extremely sceptical.
It's the same thing but reversed to what they did last year. They thought Vita was gonna be selling around 10 million units a year last year. They revised it down now after having to do the embarassing thing and cut it every quarter. It's much better to expect to sell less and sell more than expecting to sell more and sell less in the end. In fact say Vita sells 7 million next year because Sony will release GT on it and will get a proper COD game and there will be a GTA game announced for the platform (dream scenario that is not going to happen, but let's pretend it will) it would still be better for Sony to just say they will sell 3-4 million because they can come back and say 'look how Vita is overperforming, it's such a great product'. If they projected 7 million they'd meet expecations, nothing huge, if they projected 10 million they were underperforming and that's worrying for the investors.

Now you might be thinking why doesn't every company underestimate in that case? Some do, in fact. But the thing is you can get away with it on a product that most investors don't care about (and let's be honest if you're a Sony shareholder you don't give a shit about Vita, you might care how the Gaming division is getting on).

EDIT: I'm not saying that this is what is happening with the Vita forecasts, just that you guys shouldn't read too much into it. Going by the forecasts alone you'd have think Sony was launching the Vita with an exclusive FF, GTA, GT and Resident Evil on the horizon and a tease for Skyrim Vita.

Either way colour me extremely sceptical. It's like what you must be joking, your transparent as hell.
Or that it is an "amazing big title" which is or will be available on other platforms.
The Vita has had a lot of good support recently, but they're all games which are either already available on PC or will also be available on PS3. They're doing very little to incentivise people who own those platforms to buy a Vita.

B.O.O.M

Yep, given their hardware forecast for the Vita for the next year, this is going to be nothing. Well, nothing that will move the needle for non-Vita owners. At least that's the message Sony themselves are sending.

Entirely depends on the software (as you said) AND when it's released. Revealing titles that are coming out next year, even if they turn out to be big, won't make much of a difference to the hardware forecasts.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

No they don't do it, because investors want to see good news, or correct news in quarterly reports etc. Noones going to want to buy your shares and be interested in your dividends etc if your prediction for the year is that your going to do badly, so companies don't willing make sales predictions as bad as possible a slight undercut sure, but nothing significant (purposefully anyway). That fact Sony predicts this means they expect it to sell near enough this, maybe a bit more but not massively so.

Oh God it's too late now, he is arriving in a station near you...

images

Still the remark 'more than 1' is bugging me. Could this mean that he refers to a serie of games?

Would kill for a Phoenix Wright HD trilogy. Yeah I've played them already but I could play them through once every year!

Will probably be Dissapointment Town as next stop...

EDIT: in the official Vita PSN Game & Service thread they are mentioning that the game starts with a P. So it could be:

- Phoenix Wright HD
- Puppeteer Vita
- Patapon HD
- Persona 5 / Persona3G

EMT0

Banned
The biggest thing Sony could do for the Vita(with respect to me) is to just announce the creation of tools that make porting PS2 games to Vita a one-man job that requires little time. Because there are many, many PS2 classics that I missed out on that I'd love to get to experience, and portable to boot.

At least for my hype to equal the current hype train that's going on right now.

AmanoBuff

I don't think this is going to end very well for Shahid, but then, I would think that, wouldn't I? We'll see.

Well, at least he is aware that hyping people in vain is not nice.

2QhmLPn.png

Edit: Btw. Where do you people host images? Is there any standard for GAF? Any help appreciated!

Entirely depends on the software (as you said) AND when it's released. Revealing titles that are coming out next year, even if they turn out to be big, won't make much of a difference to the hardware forecasts.

Agreed about the release date. But you would hope he wouldn't be over-hyping a game like this over a year before it's release. That's like throwing a thimble half-full of water into a room full of dehydrated people.

pantsmith

If they got Minecraft, which is my best guess, thats like the only thing (next to Gran Turismo, I guess) that could genuinely move units on name alone.

I had a student's mother ask me for a recommendation for the cheapest laptop that could run Minecraft. Literally the only reason she was interested in it was so her son could play Minecraft. All of my students are obsessed with it. Its madness.

Sony is being more realistic than their own fans, who I think enormously underestimate just how rapidly the demographic for dedicated handhelds has changed in the West. Vita could hypothetically have a holiday lineup of exclusive, high-quality, well-marketed GTA, CoD, and GoW spinoffs, plus a version of GT6, and I still don't think it would sell more than a third or so, if that, better than it did last holiday.

If they got Minecraft, which is my best guess, thats like the only thing (next to Gran Turismo, I guess) that could genuinely move units on name alone.

I had a student's mother ask me for a recommendation for the cheapest laptop that could run Minecraft. Literally the only reason she was interested in it was so her son could play Minecraft. All of my students are obsessed with it. Its madness.

Yep. But it would have to be full Minecraft like Xbox has. If it's just the iPad version, it won't sell Vitas. I don't think a portable Gran Turismo would do anything to significantly move Vitas.

Sony is being more realistic than their own fans, who I think enormously underestimate just how rapidly the demographic for dedicated handhelds has changed in the West. Vita could hypothetically have a holiday lineup of exclusive, high-quality, well-marketed GTA, CoD, and GoW spinoffs, plus a version of GT6, and I still don't think it would sell more than a third or so, if that, better than it did last holiday.

It's hard for me to think of any exclusive they could offer that would change that. They simply don't possess any must-haves, which means they'd have to money-hat one, and I can't think of one. I hope whatever this is turns out to be great. I'll be getting another Vita after the price drops and when Minter's game comes out.

Mario007

No they don't do it, because investors want to see good news, or correct news in quarterly reports etc. Noones going to want to buy your shares and be interested in your dividends etc if your prediction for the year is that your going to do badly, so companies don't willing make sales predictions as bad as possible a slight undercut sure, but nothing significant (purposefully anyway). That fact Sony predicts this means they expect it to sell near enough this, maybe a bit more but not massively so.
Apple underestimates many times to beat expectations. They still expect growth but slower than what it actually turns out to be.

As I've said as an investor you're not that worried about Vita. You're looking at Smartphones, TVs (as in did they start decreasing the losses there), the PC sector and then obviously the 3 big money makers: Movies, Music and Bank.

Yep. But it would have to be full Minecraft like Xbox has. If it's just the iPad version, it won't sell Vitas. I don't think a portable Gran Turismo would do anything to significantly move Vitas.

Even aside from the question of whether Minecraft actually sells systems to a significant extent, I would think that Pocket Edition, compromised as it is, would be good enough for the vast majority of those who want to play a portable version. Not that I'm an expert on the game's fanbase, mind you.

sense

its strange though because their forecast for ps3 is on the low end too unless they are not doing a price cut. i would think a price cut with last of us, gt6, gta v, beyond etc.. could move ps3 units and dent any wii u momentum when they bring their big titles this holiday. they are also expanding production in brazil so 10m seems low. maybe they want to keep expectations low this time around and make it look like they beat forecasts next year. we will see i guess.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Apple underestimates many times to beat expectations. They still expect growth but slower than what it actually turns out to be.

As I've said as an investor you're not that worried about Vita. You're looking at Smartphones, TVs (as in did they start decreasing the losses there), the PC sector and then obviously the 3 big money makers: Movies, Music and Bank.

That's not the same as purposefully completely low balling your estimations, there are cases when you honestly can't expect how well a product will take off, but Sony massively decreased their sales projections, Apple doesn't massively decrease there sales projections and then end up beating that projection, as the damage is already done.

DUDE WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME.

PS> hey said "We do love our partners". 2nd party/3rd party?

The plot is thickening:

- a game from our partners means 2nd / 3rd party
- more than one (maybe a series?)
- maybe starting with a P

Also why not Phoenix Wright HD? It is already coming to smartphones so it wouldn't take that much of an effort to bring it to the Vita.

And Kickz, I like the idea of that! Also VC is a series, so why wouldn't they bring a HD collection? Still waiting on that VC3 PSP localization that probably will never come...

Top Bottom