• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home(TM) trailer

This has really changed the way I look at PS3. Obviously, we don't know how this will all pan out yet, but it's good to see a friendlier face to the console. Though, for a good year or so,
sausage fest

Dascu

I did not see this one coming. Looks very impressive. And Little Big Planet looks very fun.
Good work Sony. This could play an important role in the "Console Wars".

Tiktaalik

It looks like it has a TON of potential. My only gripe is that it looks pretty lifeless. However, it's so early, who knows what you'll be able to do. I just hope I'll be able to make my house crazy weird like my one in Animal Crossing.

concept looks nice but honestly is that all really possible? I just dont trust sony. If developers can barely get a 12 player game running perfectly smooth online, why would sony be able to do it with what seems like an infinite number of "visitors" roaming around the home area? Seems more like sonys "vision" much like AOL and all that stuff shown for PS2 that never came to pass. No doubt HOME is indeed real, i just cant see it working out to be as smooth as that video.

fanduck

It looks really nice, but it just looks like a game (Sims online, maybe?). It definitely looked cool, but I wonder how convenient it will be considering Sony wants this to be the next myspace... It's definitely got potential though.

Graphics wise it looks better than I expected, but it seems too much like the sims online / second life for me to really get interested.

Thomper

I keep thinking that I know the music in the LittleBigPlanet trailer from somewhere. Is it an actual song (if so, which!), or is it just darn catchy?

suaveric

the next Animal Crossing from Nintendo had better be pretty great, considering Sony is giving that away for free now.

but I do wonder how much this is going to impress the casual/madden players. are they really going to care about something like this?

Dante

Amir0x said:
Well, mostly. They still slipped in the little 'and you can purchase more items from the PlayStation store for that little extra bit of personality.' They will make you pay $.99 for a sombrero, believe that :p

HOME reminds me of what i imagined the virtual internet will be like in 50 years, if those avatars were real people

Oh no doubt.

want that sweet virtual Bravia? gotta pay .99

Anyways this is exactly the hub type experience I was hoping for. And the fact that there is mini games within it is the icing on the cake, billiards etc.....

I'm giddy :D

FrankT

Amir0x said:
Well, mostly. They still slipped in the little 'and you can purchase more items from the PlayStation store for that little extra bit of personality.' They will make you pay $.99 for a sombrero, believe that :p

HOME reminds me of what i imagined the virtual internet will be like in 50 years, if those avatars were real people

Indeed, looks like that would be one way of funding this puppy. You know they have dropped some coinage in this. Has there been any official announcement of when this is going to hit. Really like the trophy stuff.

Uncle AJ

NICE! I was expecting some sort of static "trophy room," but it looks more like a full 3D chatroom.

LOL @ emo kid that wants to go bowling
for Columbine

I said *yawn*... until the platformer appeared. Will be cool to play around with anyway, though there's definitely some overreaction going on in here (as usual). I'll be curious to find out the full capabilities...

kevm3

This is TIGHT... I had no idea it was going to look this good. I thought it was going to be something kind of kiddy and simple. This looks amazing. What i thought it was going to be and more!

Seriously, this has me real excited. One of the best things I've heard of in a while.

joshschw

downloading this LittleBigPlanet thing now but HOME looks...stupid.

I see these 3D IM chat ads all the time to me this is what I thought they were?

also it's really ugly, they should have gone with a cartoony look imo.

It seems this GDC is really what the PS3 needs to win over the hardcore fans that were on the fence before. Including me. These two... 'things' are what give the PS3 a character of its own, not just a slightly more powerful 360. Coupled with some great exclusives... Im going to get one this summer and complete my next gen set up :)

Mojovonio

Banned
I'm glad Sony had their position threatened and became the underdog. It gave them the drive to better themselves and create this.

While it really may not seem like a big deal to most people, the huge valley between Xbox Live and PSN was community, and it looks like PSN just gave it out in spades, and for free.

So..... what are my chances of finding a 20g model?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Looks incredibly promising. The graphics look great and the features look even better.

Sony just raised the bar....:D

Too bad it's $600, although one day when I buy one it looks to be one of the best features on it.

avcables

Banned
Tieno said:
Wow @ 2nd pic, the view! I hope you can walk outside! It'd be a crime not to!

Well they showed a couple people out on a balcony, so I'm assuming there must be a way to go outside. Perhaps on a patio or something.

GhaleonEB

Interesting approach. I was laughing at the idea until the matchmaking system came it - it's all in the implementation of that element. It's an interesting conglomoration of ideas like Mii and Achievements and allowing you to personalize it much more (with DLC - probably for fees). I wouldn't go so far as to call it revolutionary. I actually found most of the idea pretty silly and cumbersome if you don't want to jump through all those hoops to get into matchmaking. It's all in the implementation. Still set for fall?

Not what I was expecting. Looks more like Second Life to me too. When I watched the trailer I was thinking "WTF?" at first, but also "Cool!" as it rolled along. With a nice group of friends this could be kind of a fun, social thing.

It'll be interesting to find out more info on this, like all the things you can do in the game world, how interactive things can be, etc. Can you have different types of homes? Is it invite only to your room? Sony needs to drop more details on this ASAP. :)

I will say that this alone doesn't sell me on a PS3, but it's a very cool step in the right direction, and will certainly distinguish itself from the crowd.

Tiktaalik

It's going to be funny when you walk into the central lounge in Home, and the room is full of guys, and there's one or two hot female avatars being absolutely swarmed.

When you pull up those predetermined phrases, the very first one should be "get a f%#*ing headset you dumbshit".

Why do they always say USB keyboard. Where's the BT?

Looks kind of like Second Life meets The Sims Online meets Animal Crossing meets MySpace. Could be a huge hit once the system is cheaper.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
banKai said:
ooooooooh myy gooooooooood

little big planet looks sick :D is that a psn game? seems so

It looks like 4-player co-op with user-created characters....

I'd hit it.

pr0cs

Pretty cool, though a bit overkill. I'd rather just get in and play a game than traipse around looking at people's avatars. Interesting all around though, and very exciting. I wonder how Microsoft is going to counter this.

theBishop

Banned
Uh oh...

PS3Fanboy.com said:
Also: Killzone 2 was demoed (will not be shown at Keynote), taking advanatge of Edge. Does it live up to the original E3 trailer? No.

That could be a buzzkill...

Dr-L337

Banned
It's graphically nice, and I like the bowling/pool/arcade/cinema areas. However it reminds me a bit too much of Habbo Hotel and other variants. The rampant idiocy in those games will be even worse when you consider how few people will have keyboards/headsets.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Interesting, but the "Infinitely more exciting than anything on the OTHER consoles" quote had me :lol

Matix

OMFG, looks like Second Life has hit the PS3 !!

Although I'll admit it doesn't have the inspired design compared to Nintendo's Mii... but who gives a **** about that ;)

theBishop

Banned
Mojovonio said:
:lol

honestly, did anyone expect it to?

Unless this game ends up looking like Quake 2, it'll look fine.

I expected it to. Especially now that other games are making me say Wow.

Sasquatch

Thomper said:
I keep thinking that I know the music in the LittleBigPlanet trailer from somewhere. Is it an actual song (if so, which!), or is it just darn catchy?

It's something by the Go Team! Not sure what the song name is.

Tieno

Posted by KurowaSan in the official phil thread. It has this neat outlined 'glow', nice!

t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_5.jpg

t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_4.jpg

t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_3.jpg

t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_2.jpg

t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_1.jpg

joshschw

Well the HOME thing is worthless and ugly as I stated before but Little Big Planet looks AWESOMELY AWESOME

^thanks I was just going to cap some screens.

Dante

theBishop said:
I expected it to. Especially now that other games are making me say Wow.

Honestly, KZ2 could be the best looking game ever and not look close to the trailer.

Mojovonio said:
:lol

honestly, did anyone expect it to?

Unless this game ends up looking like Quake 2, it'll look fine.

I've heard several people say that they expected it to. That if it didn't hit the quality of that infamous video they would be disappointed.

Mojovonio

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've heard several people say that they expected it to. That if it didn't hit the quality of that infamous video they would be disappointed.

Those people need to learn their expectations to the realm of REALITY.

Gowans

OK lets say this turns out to be everything that is in the demo,

its defiantly very very cool and does a great job at visually displaying the online community as a whole, something live doesn't do outside the friends list.

A few things I do have issue with thouse its nice to have to walk into a cinema to see a film I just want to see a menu and use the benefits that digital format has over the real world simulation.

This could be great tho with custom clothes and items (instead of lives gamerpics n themes) and the trophey room is a nice touch (live should really have a place you can show off your top acheivements).

Sonys done a great job of thinking outside the box on this one but issues I may have is how scalable is it? are there multiple HOME servers? Text chat?? surly voice should be encouraged.

As for Little Big Plane, wow I love the art in that game it looks SO SO pretty!!!

Jammy

Banned
HOLY SHIT... Little Big Planet looks amazing! Home looks good too, but I think people are over-exaggerating its importance. And I also echo the sentiments of the user that doesn't think t here will ever be that many females in the same room at the same time. :lol

Top Bottom