• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home(TM) trailer

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
le.phat said:
PSN makes xbl look like a total hack, concidering its a free service.

Well, HOME isn't really addressing the most commonplace complaint about PSN, which is that there isn't yet a simple, unified architecture in place to browse and select from a select list of players. HOME seems to be something more akin to an MMORPG. In fact, aside from the lack of a fantasy theme, it looks a bit like FFXI, in my opinion.

It does peak my interest. I'd like to see where they go with this and how they will incorporate matchmaking, but I still think it would be good for Sony to introduce some code that would allow friend's browsing from the XMB.

Vrolokus

Banned
PleoMax said:
Exactly....its a game on its own, its like sims meets Messenger, i mean wtf, why is that good? Why are people saying its amazing???

I'm so confused...this is more of a game than anything else, its not a seamless feature that lets you interact with the comunity while you're playing the real games.

shit forget it, i'm probably gonna get banned if i say anything else, but to me, i don't understand why this is great, its the sort of thing that i would have never wanted.

Invite people to my virtual crib? Wtf is this shit, what am i? 12? shit is retarded.

IAWTP

hanger102

"This service is already in a private beta now (not that private, eh anonymous leakers). Public beta comes in April."

according to *******.com!!!

stewy

jamesinclair said:
Am I the only one who laughed at "who are you?'
cube1.jpg

Nope.

Milhouse31 said:
Basically my impression

... and useless & charmless

I didn't want to go that far, but right now I'm not seeing much of a point. It appears to be the PSO lobby without any quests to go on, just yet. ;)

I'm hoping we can ditch this in favour of simple list/text options. Not that I'm against the idea entirely, but do you really want to meander through a virtual world every single time just to set up a game?

PleoMax

Banned
GreekWolf said:
The Sims is one of the most popular games of all time. Implementing that interface into a community structure provides a customizable, user-friendly service that's approachable to a wide audience.

Of course, after all the huzzahs have been handed out, you'll realize that this is a cleverly disguised trojan horse for microtransactions... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Microsoft already laid the foundation for what can be achieved through nickel and diming, so why not spruce it up a bit and make everything a bit more interactive. That's what Sony has done.

I'm sorry its just that...its too much you know? For me, home is really going to far, for me, someone that likes spending time in well something like home, costumizing the crib, and inviting ppl to see it and just chat around, and try to meet strangers, i mean...its soo not what games are about. See, take 360 comunity features, every feature is there seamless integrated to help the social aspect while you are playing the game. Here, it takes you out of the game, into this emo fantasy Second Life game like world...

Look, great, i'm telling, i will never touch that shit on my Ps3, i don't get it, its a feature for people with shitty lifes i guess. I won't stress my opinion anymore, its just that i was genuinilly surprised that people are saying this is awesome and that they can't wait and shit....why? For me games like habo and shit, i don't get them, i find them weird, and...hell thats it for me.

Well whatever, just give me the standard features in the games, like the seamless messaging and invites and voice chats and shit and i'm good, thats what i want.

Sorry for the rant, i was just surprised soo many people like habo and second life and shit. I mean shane for example is saying "making a party and shit", wtf man...do a real party, i mean, a virtual party!? what kind of sad shit is that?

Again sorry, i just never realized.

Home is not integrated into games, its a game that can read information on your hard drive. You can`t switch between home and a game without going through XMB, so its a chatroom with access to your acheivements, friendslist and media files.

People who like wow or online chatrooms will eat it up, but I`d still rather be able to invite a friend to a game no matter what he/she is currently doing.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Damn that is really cool. It is interesting though. I don't know if all users will use it. I just think it is funny how everyone is trying to pretty much just make an online forum. Its really cool though. When I eventually get a PS3 I will definately use it. I just want to know how much the downloads will cost (the furniture and what not).

KnuckaWut

I guess this is pretty cool.... to say the console war is over because of this though is ridiculous

i want games! screw this novelty crap

im sick of all the consoles *grrrr*

teiresias

The Innocent X said:
You can`t switch between home and a game without going through XMB, so its a chatroom with access to your acheivements, friendslist and media files.

this is completely wrong, did you even watch the damn HOME trailer? Geez, stop talking out of your @#$%.

GreekWolf

PleoMax said:
I'm sorry its just that...its too much you know? For me, home is really going to far, for me, someone that likes spending time in well something like home, costumizing the crib, and inviting ppl to see it and just chat around, and try to meet strangers, i mean...its soo not what games are about.

Sorry for the rant, i was just surprised soo many people like habo and second life and shit. I mean shane for example is saying "making a party and shit", wtf man...do a real party, i mean, a virtual party!? what kind of sad shit is that?

Again sorry, i just never realized.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of what you say. I know that I'll never personally use the service, because I'd rather spend my time actually popping a disc in and playing a game instead of jacking around in some Sims room. But the service isn't for guys like you and me. It's designed for teenagers who spend all day on instant messenger, and for MMORPG socialites.

quaere

:lol at the people looking down on people who play the Sims and like virtual social networks (MySpace, Facebook, YouTube...). They have no life? Who are you kidding?

Last time I checked, those activities were a lot more socially acceptable than gaming.

Just about every college student in the country uses one of those services. The Sims was pretty much the only game the typical chick would even consider playing until Wii Sports came along.

Now whether Home will reach critical mass is a big question, but being condescending about the concept is laughable.

3rdman

Little Big Planet looks insanely pretty...really nice look!

As for Home, its what I thought it would be...it'd be a real hoot if this was implemented at the OS level. Imagine how neat it'd be to have Home boot up as your desktop...I haven't seen the details as of yet but have they said you could talk during different games? Can you play your own music in games? Because it kinda comes across as a simplified MMO...

GhaleonEB

Dragona Akehi said:
I didn't want to go that far, but right now I'm not seeing much of a point. It appears to be the PSO lobby without any quests to go on, just yet. ;)

I'm hoping we can ditch this in favour of simple list/text options. Not that I'm against the idea entirely, but do you really want to meander through a virtual world every single time just to set up a game?
Agreed. I like the idea of evolving your online avatar. Live lets you represent yourself with an avatar and your reputation, the Wii has Miis. This is a pretty interesting way to take those ideas to the next level. But not everyone will find that appealing, and even those who do will want to just jump into some games without going through hoops on occasion. But I wouldn't expect Sony to add, "and you can just skip all this stuff and get to the point by clicking the game icon" as part of their pitch. That's probably the kind of detail that will come out quite a ways down the road.

Haunted

I never understood the appeal of something like Second Life - home seems to be in that vein, so... *shrugs*.

LBP looks ****ing awesome, though. I love the art style, the design and the atmosphere in the trailer. Very good and to my taste.

Of itself, it looks like a very good online community game.

The problem I see with this is if you have to use it to access features akin to the Live service. Personally I would just want to get a game started, not jump through hoops to get there. It's a nice feature, but I don't see how this is as accessible and convenient as Live.

teiresias said:
this is completely wrong, did you even watch the damn HOME trailer? Geez, stop talking out of your @#$%.

So, I can flick between the two? Invite people to play a game I`m currently playing? voice chat with poeple not currently playing? access my acheivements while playing a game?

Yeah, I can go home from a game if I wait for it to load, or vice versa, but the two are separate applications!

Given the footprint of this, it's not going to be something you can pull up inside of your games to do quick invites and messaging. It's another whole thing; it's a social networking service. I think it looks great, though I'm not really planning on using it from what I've seen so far.

JB1981

DeaconKnowledge said:
Of itself, it looks like a very good online community game.

The problem I see with this is if you have to use it to access features akin to the Live service. Personally I would just want to get a game started, not jump through hoops to get there. It's a nice feature, but I don't see how this is as accessible and convenient as Live.

It'll be a lot more convenient to get a big group of people together for a game, chat with multiple people - it's like a big pre-game lobby. That's a lot more convenient than messaging people back and forth on Live.

Vincey37 said:
:lol at the people looking down on people who play the Sims and like virtual social networks (MySpace, Facebook, YouTube...). They have no life? Who are you kidding?

Last time I checked, those activities were a lot more socially acceptable than gaming.

Just about every college student in the country uses one of those services. The Sims was pretty much the only game the typical chick would even consider playing until Wii Sports came along.

Now whether Home will reach critical mass is a big question, but being condescending about the concept is laughable.
Your reply likely took longer to form than their total opinion on the matter; don't waste the effort.

JB1981 said:
It'll be a lot more convenient to get a big group of people together for a game, chat with multiple people - it's like a big pre-game lobby. That's a lot more convenient than messaging people back and forth on Live.

From that perspective, it is like the group voice chat room that was on Xbox 1 Live years ago. MS does need to bring that back. Good point.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think this is incredible. It's wrong to see this as a lame game in and of itself, but as a glue of network and community around your games and system it's definitely the next step. Very excited.

Draft

As compelling an idea as HOME is or may become in the future, I feel it still misses the target in terms of what PSN actually needs. I see several people expecting this to spur the PSN community, which is a result I do not see happening, especially if you are using MS and XBL as a benchmark for an online console community.

XBL isn't popular because it's a cool place to hang out or shoot the shit, it's popular because it makes tracking and connecting with your friends a breeze. The community is built on the shoulders of a stupid easy xcross messaging and invite system. People spend more time IN GAME with their friends, which is where the community forms. If Sony believes the appeal of XBL is looking at other people's gamerscores, then I think they should reexamine.

HOME doesn't address the lack of xgame buddy lists, invites and messaging, which I feel is the most glaring feature hole in the PSN platform. HOME strikes me as symptomatic of a problem that's plagued the PS3 from the first Blu Ray announcement- it's not a game machine, it's a digital lifestyle accessory. I can only speak for myself, but when I think PlayStation I think play, not blinging up my virtual crib.

I realize this will probably come off as bashing, especially because I am generally pretty critical of Sony. But seeing what MS is doing with Live and trying to implement subscriptions for PC online play, I think it's super important that SOMEONE give them a bloody nose in the online game service space, and from what I can see, HOME is not the app that's going to do it.

GhaleonEB

beermonkey@tehbias said:
From that perspective, it is like the group voice chat room that was on Xbox 1 Live years ago. MS does need to bring that back. Good point.
Microsoft has two scheduled major updates to Live, one in spring and one in fall (April and November, going by last years updates). I don't know that they'll do anything in response to this, but I hope the service has some major new features and overall evolution.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I came, I saw, I changed my boxers.

:lol

IMPRESSIVE! Good job Sony!

Draft said:
As compelling an idea as HOME is or may become in the future, I feel it still misses the target in terms of what PSN actually needs. I see several people expecting this to spur the PSN community, which is a result I do not see happening, especially if you are using MS and XBL as a benchmark for an online console community.

XBL isn't popular because it's a cool place to hang out or shoot the shit, it's popular because it makes tracking and connecting with your friends a breeze. The community is built on the shoulders of a stupid easy xcross messaging and invite system. People spend more time IN GAME with their friends, which is where the community forms. If Sony believes the appeal of XBL is looking at other people's gamerscores, then I think they should reexamine.

HOME doesn't address the lack of xgame buddy lists, invites and messaging, which I feel is the most glaring feature hole in the PSN platform. HOME strikes me as symptomatic of a problem that's plagued the PS3 from the first Blu Ray announcement- it's not a game machine, it's a digital lifestyle accessory. I can only speak for myself, but when I think PlayStation I think play, not blinging up my virtual crib.

I realize this will probably come off as bashing, especially because I am generally pretty critical of Sony. But seeing what MS is doing with Live and trying to implement subscriptions for PC online play, I think it's super important that SOMEONE give them a bloody nose in the online game service space, and from what I can see, HOME is not the app that's going to do it.

For once, I completely agree.

Gowans

Draft said:

I share your thoughts 100%

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Innocent X said:
Yeah, I can go home from a game if I wait for it to load, or vice versa, but the two are separate applications!

You originally said you had to go through the XMB, which the trailer clearly addressed. You can launch into games directly from Home.

Anyway, I think its fantastic. It's like the best case of all the rumours we had heard. The media sharing stuff, the 3D stuff, the home, the communal areas/games/experiences, the trophies/achievements. Everything. And it's something the PS3 really needs, a very tangible sense of community. The potential for the future is huge.

Amir0x

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I think this is incredible. It's wrong to see this as a lame game in and of itself, but as a glue of network and community around your games and system it's definitely the next step. Very excited.

The important thing, I think, is that they need to make this as effortless as possible. So, looking at leaderboards, inviting friends to games, etc... it should still be super easy and simplified. And it should be UNIFIED across all games. If they can manage that with this functionality, i mean, it should be neat.

Draft said:

I would agree, only this text isnt written a half year in the future... its writting now. We dont know everything about this game. Hey, for all we know, there could be a PC in your room and you go behind it and you see a friends list. Who knows? Its too early to judge, but for once can the haters admit that it has potential to make Sony a big player in the console online section?

Jirotrom

It looks kinda cool... I don't dig the whole mmo feel, it seems a bit overwhelming If I wanted to do all that chatting and what not I would do it over a forum like this. I'm not saying its hurting the ps3 in any way as a matter of fact its something the ps3 needs it just seems a little too much and needs a more streamlined feel.

Amir0x said:
The important thing, I think, is that they need to make this as effortless as possible. So, looking at leaderboards, inviting friends to games, etc... it should still be super easy and simplified. And it should be UNIFIED across all games. If they can manage that with this functionality, i mean, it should be neat.

The problem being that Sony has pretty much admitted that they have no spare processing power when running a game. So once you are in game you will pretty much always be cut off from any form of community unless every game contains that functionality itself

Top Bottom