• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home(TM) trailer

Evlar

Banned
duderon said:
Interesting, but the "Infinitely more exciting than anything on the OTHER consoles" quote had me :lol:
Yeah. It's... Second Life with minigames and media. On the one hand it's obviously much prettier than Second Life, and some of the media stuff they could do looks pretty fun. On the other hand it's much less customizable than Second Life (I presume you can't build your own house, just furnish it...) and the scale shown so far is a collection of rooms to large conference areas while Second Life is a whole world.

I dunno. The devil's in the details. It certainly makes the PS3 feel more like a social networking machine than the Wii or even the 360 currently do, but I also wonder how long anyone will spend standing around looking at the scenery in Home's public areas. Will it help finding friends or hinder it? Is it a destination or just something you rush through on the way to play your games? And how many people can occupy those lobbies?

Boy is it pretty though.

GreekWolf

Pretty smooth move by Sony. Countering Xbox Live with a customizable Sims Online is a great strategy. I can also imagine that it'll be quite attractive to the female gamer.

If Microsoft doesn't whip up something similar, they may lose some business.

scarybore

I'll basically copy and paste what I said in the keynote thread. Home seems a bit unneeded in terms of its scope and, dare I say, bloated. Looks cool but do I think I will use it more than a few times unless I am forced to with matchmaking? No.

Being free is great news though, and I am impressed with LBP from a graphics perspective. Very solid.

Mojovonio said:
Those people need to learn their expectations to the realm of REALITY.

I don't disagree at all. Anyone who thought the game would look like the video were setting themselves up for disappointment.

HOME really looks amazing and will be great if they really add some kind of seamless way of switching from chatting@HOME and taking the same people into a certain game, not only downloadable PSN games but ordinary games as well.

Add a trophyroom and lots of user made content and this is the next logical step from Live and Mii's. It's everything all the other have only better presented and feels way cooler than it actually is if you break it down into single components.

And Thanks Sony for not going with some cartoony look for the characters.

Kind of puts me in the 'will buy when I can afford it'-camp :D

stewy

Looks awesome and completely impractical. Can't wait to play around with it.

So did they say when Home is coming home? Are we gonna wait another year for this?

le.phat

goddamn, that looks over the top. Sony needs to push this hardcore, if it takes off with the casual community then it could become HUGE.
PSN makes xbl look like a total hack, concidering its a free service. kudos sony.

Wes

venison crêpe
Listening to the 1up yours podcast now just going over Home, it sounds delightful.

My instant reaction: damn I want a PS3 now. Glad there are so many left on the UK shelves :lol :lol

Cronox

Banned
theBishop said:
Little Big Planet has the best 2d graphics i've ever seen. Its like looking at a diorama or something.

You mean the textures on the cardboard cutouts in the background? Because I don't see any "2D."

mm04

This is basically Everquest 2 (an SOE title), modernized. For those of you who have played it, I'm sure you see the resemblances especially with the living space. I'm guessing that sure, access to "Home" is free. But I bet you'll be paying some form of currency for those nifty clothes and virtual couch you're going to have in your place. Whether it's in the form of money or game earned points, who knows. Or maybe there will just be billboards and product placement ads throughout the place. Interesting nonetheless, but for someone who plays MMOs, not blowing my mind.

stewy

mm04 said:
This is basically Everquest 2 (an SOE title), modernized. For those of you who have played it, I'm sure you see the resemblances especially with the living space. I'm guessing that sure, access to "Home" is free. But I bet you'll be paying some form of currency for those nifty clothes and virtual couch you're going to have in your place. Whether it's in the form of money or game earned points, who knows. Or maybe there will just be billboards and product placement ads throughout the place. Interesting nonetheless, but for someone who plays MMOs, not blowing my mind.

I'd say advertising will play a big role. Even in that video there were billboards for games like F1 and Resistance. Selling ad space to third party pubs and other products would be an excellent way to finance something like this.

I'm kinda hoping they go both routes with the purchases. People who want to piss away money on hawt virtual loveseats can do so, but it would be nice to use some sort of "achievement point" system as an alternative way of decorating your space.

Little Big Planet looks great, the fact it's online coop play is even better.

While Home looks amazing, I have to admit everyone looks kinda, uh living dead. It's not Home's fault, but rather the fact that everything is so "realistic". I guess I was kinda hoping for a more stylized look.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I hate Sony and this is pretty impressive.

I'm expecting alot from Wii-Animal Crossing now. I would imagine this is why Nintendo isn't saying much about the game or it's online structure 'cos they're probably one in the same. I'm writing up ideas for different Wii Channels that could definatly do alot that this PS3 Home can do...only with Mii's...and restricted to friends only like you know Nintendo will do.

Outside of the "realisticness" what restricts Nintendo from doing something like this is the limited storage memory in the Wii...I think Animal Crossing should come with a 2GB SD card standerd to fix that.

The stuff about PS3's Home having public meeting places and being able to veiw other user's HDD contents seems...iffy at best though.

I'm too confused to be impressed... This seems so removed from what gaming consoles are supposed to be about. I just dont get it... Second Life meets the Sims?

PleoMax

Banned
antoniogaud said:
I'm too confused to be impressed... This seems so removed from what gaming consoles are supposed to be about. I just dont get it... Second Life meets the Sims?

Exactly....its a game on its own, its like sims meets Messenger, i mean wtf, why is that good? Why are people saying its amazing???

I'm so confused...this is more of a game than anything else, its not a seamless feature that lets you interact with the comunity while you're playing the real games.

shit forget it, i'm probably gonna get banned if i say anything else, but to me, i don't understand why this is great, its the sort of thing that i would have never wanted.

Invite people to my virtual crib? Wtf is this shit, what am i? 12? shit is retarded.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I was just taking some snaps for my website, when I saw this.

sotcwj1.jpg

Also alongside fake Loco Roco and Killzone trophies, but interesting none the less.

Doctor_No

Guess "Home" does fit in with all those "Second Life" comments IBM was making recently. But hey sure did deliver on this whole home thing, I was thinking it was going to be just some small room you were going to decorate similar to the PSN Maichi Isso game.

llTll

Banned
PleoMax said:
Exactly....its a game on its own, its like sims meets Messenger, i mean wtf, why is that good? Why are people saying its amazing???

I'm so confused...

thats what i dont get . its not a firmware update. its just a thing you download from PS store. something like Tekken HD?

you turn on your PS3. you go play " Home"

this home game. has all those cool things.

or is it a firmware update?

PleoMax said:

I'm so confused...this is more of a game than anything else, its not a seamless feature that lets you interact with the comunity while you're playing the real games.

shit forget it, i'm probably gonna get banned if i say anything else, but to me, i don't understand why this is great, its the sort of thing that i would have never wanted.

Because a lot of people have no life and like these kind of things?

The platformer looks amazing, but the whole second life thing is just gaaaaaaaaaaaah. It`ll probably be amazingly popular though

:lol this is cool an all .... but wouldn't you rather invite real people to your home than show them a virtual one?!

I would not even bother with this shit its like habbo hotel and the sims on a next level if your are lifeless i suppose i notice the appeal.

I am stunned at how many people are over-the-top impressed by this. Who wants to 'mingle' with people they dont know using avatars?

This may sound old-school, but I would have preferred just a straight up friends list and achievements system.

The avatars are cool if I can play games with them, but they look too realistic. I would have preferred more stylized characters.

le.phat

PleoMax said:

its amazing because this is taking lobbying to the next level. you CAN hang about, configure and personify your avatar, share some media ect. or you can just meet your friends, or gamers with similiar interests, and play with or against them.
its pretty fresh for a game lobby, anyway you slice it.

Dante

PleoMax said:

Because everybody has been complaining that the community aspects of PSN are lacking compared to LIVE. And this will pretty much curb stomp that notion?

While home looks great, it doesnt seem like something that I personally will be into that much, but it still seems like it is doing something different and good in its own way away from how Live is set up

Fredrik

I just watched the Home trailer. Wow. Very interesting. And it's free too. I was almost certain that it would cost money.

I see some warning signs though, it's like a virtual messageboard without moderators, with the realistic look of the characters and all the customizations we could see next gen rasism and bullying.

Dante said:
Because everybody has been complaining that the community aspects of PSN are lacking compared to LIVE. And this will pretty much curb stomp that notion?

People wanted community aspects INSIDE games, not a virtual community OUTSIDE of them.

Do you think it's possible for us to be able to watch movies together over "Home". Now imagine a GAF version of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Watching bad movies together and making silly comments about them, that would kick ass:lol

Durante

Chao said:
Habbo next gen am total amirite?
That's the first thing that came to my mind after watching the trailer. But it's not anonymous, and your account is tied to your PS3, so nah.

Pretty neat, I can see people spending hours just wandering around and goofing off if they're tired of playing a game or want to just socialize online, why is it reminding me of The Sims?

GreekWolf

PleoMax said:

I'm so confused...

The Sims is one of the most popular games of all time. Implementing that interface into a community structure provides a customizable, user-friendly service that's approachable to a wide audience.

Of course, after all the huzzahs have been handed out, you'll realize that this is a cleverly disguised trojan horse for microtransactions... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Microsoft already laid the foundation for what can be achieved through nickel and diming, so why not spruce it up a bit and make everything a bit more interactive. That's what Sony has done.

Speevy

Banned
I haven't seen the trailer yet.

Can you see someone in your virtual world or whatever and instantly start a game that's in/on both of your systems?

Respect to Sony for trying a different approach to the community aspect trying to be built around consoles, and it does look pretty cool.

But its nothing super ground breaking outside of it being on a console, its a fancy version of Habbo Hotel or IMVU for PS3 really and one imagines just like Habbo and IMVU, users are gonna end up paying an absolute fortune to get themselves cool stuff so that they can try and look more "awesome" than other people.

Its going to be virtual keeping up with the jones' as Sony ride their roflcopters all the way to the bank.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Dragona Akehi said:
While Home looks amazing, I have to admit everyone looks kinda, uh living dead. It's not Home's fault, but rather the fact that everything is so "realistic". I guess I was kinda hoping for a more stylized look.

Basically my impression

... and useless & charmless

le.phat said:
its also free.

I know but personnaly I don't care. I plan to have a PS3 during this gen but those feature are useless to me.

Speevy

Banned
antoniogaud said:
People wanted community aspects INSIDE games, not a virtual community OUTSIDE of them.

Pretty much.

All people who own a PS3 have something in common, and that thing is that they enjoy games. (not that they like the Sims or Myspace or Youtube)

Ravager61

Im very impressed. Im not really sure how often Ill want to talk to strangers through my PS3 but the fact that I can, and have so many options when I do, is a great thing. Plus its free.

Top Bottom