• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's JP mag news: Beautiful Katamari Damacy

besada

Banned
reminder said:
natsu03.jpg

I think this is the only released screen so far.

Anyone know if it's going to make it to the states? Looks fun for my wife.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, some people here keep saying it will appear some time after the PS3 and 360 versions.
Who knows. The interviewer asks about the possibility of a Wii version and the response simply suggests that the rather special controller would present a big problem (no motion control on PS3, I assume). Directly before that, they ask him about hardware choices (Wii specifically) and he basically says that there were lots of considerations (PC for keyboard, DS for touch panel, etc). He said he was interested in challenging all sorts of interfaces.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Didnt the first FFCC for GC take place over a number of years?

What are the chances the characters are so young becuase they'll actually grow up during the process of the game?
Wouldn't that be sweet... I dunno how seriously I can take an involving RPG with infants :(

Jacobi

Banned
besada said:
Anyone know if it's going to make it to the states? Looks fun for my wife.
I guess it won't like all other games of the franchise.

They should've changed the style of Katamari for BKD... But I don't care that much because this will be my first Katamari (if it gets released here)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jacobi said:
I guess it won't like all other games of the franchise.

They should've changed the style of Katamari for BKD... But I don't care that much because this will be my first Katamari (if it gets released here)
Even if it does not get released outside of Japan (and I'm sure it will), the PS3 is region free so you could easily enjoy that version. :)

Razoric

Banned
BobJustBob said:
I love it when people knock my KAR avatar. It lets me know right away who the idiots are.

As for Tomb Radier Legends, may I say: her? I mean: that? I find it hard to believe that's the best Tomb Raider game ever (I wouldn't know) because I find it hard to believe it's better than any game anywhere ever. Even if it is the best game in a stunningly mediocre series, that doesn't have a whole hell of a lot to do with a top-notch property like Katamari.

Plus you guys seem to be ignoring the fact that a large part of Katamari's appeal was its originality and wackiness. With every sequel, official or no, those attributes are diminished. I gather that's why a lot of people don't even like the second one -- because they feel that the concept couldn't stretch across two games. Moreover, these qualities aren't going to be understood by the type of team that would get a development job like this. If they knew how to make fun and innovative games, they'd be doing that, rather than implementing a sequel to someone else's IP.

I, too, find it sad that these two Katamari games are the only good Katamari games I will ever play. But legitimatizing a publisher's attempt to cash in on the greatness of these games is not going to bring the series back.

04.jpg

Bo130

I know, just couldn't recall the title. I remember now, thanks :)

Oh, and Ouendan 2 looks HAWT on the cover and My Summer Vacation for PS3 is great as well!

ethelred

Strangely enough, I'm far more interested in the idea of a new Wild ARMs SRPG than I would be in a traditional RPG. After the hex combat system from 4, it seems like a pretty natural direction to spin off into. Hopefully it'll be fun.

I'm not too bothered by the graphics -- as was noted, that's pretty standard for SRPGs. Gameplay's a bigger deal here. The one big concern I have at the moment, based just on the scans we've seen, is that most of these battlefield maps look pretty barren. I think an SRPG using hexagonal grids instead of the standard square grids needs to have a lot more enemies than normal SRPGs to work best -- just because otherwise it's way too easy to surround individual enemies with way too many characters.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
John Harker said:
Didnt the first FFCC for GC take place over a number of years?

What are the chances the characters are so young becuase they'll actually grow up during the process of the game?
Wouldn't that be sweet... I dunno how seriously I can take an involving RPG with infants :(
The chances are great since they already confirmed that they do grow during the game, actually the start out smaller than what we are seeing in the scans, did you watch the opening video? They are smaller there than they are here, I have no clue if they get older than this though.

John Harker

jj984jj said:
The chances are great since they already confirmed that they do grow during the game, actually the start out smaller than what we are seeing in the scans, did you watch the opening video? They are smaller there than they are here, I have no clue if they get older than this though.

They grow in... physical size?
No, I didn't know this was confirmed... that's cool, but a bit odd. They just get bigger, not older? I hope by the end they at least look like teenagers... what kind of story can they tell with pre-tweens?

How well did the previous iterations of the My Summer Holiday sell in Japan? It looks like a franchise which would probably do well in the Harvestmoon/Animal Crossing market, except not neccessarily on the PS3 right now, due to price and library... It does seem like a good idea for Sony to expand the PS3 audience, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
John Harker said:
They grow in... physical size?
No, I didn't know this was confirmed... that's cool, but a bit odd. They just get bigger, not older? I hope by the end they at least look like teenagers... what kind of story can they tell with pre-tweens?
If you look at the screens at the bottom of the first scan you can see that he's much smaller.

John Harker

jj984jj said:
If you look at the screens at the bottom of the first scan you can see that he's much smaller.

Oh yah, good eye. Glanced at it before, just thought it was a costume change - now I see he is actually, physically older.

My only gripe now is, the pic in the bottom left makes him look younger than most of his current art. So I hope it isnt, he starts as a 5 year old and ends at 11 :lol
Lets hope they keep aging... one of the cut scene parts in the center of the page makes him look teenish, so there is still hope. I wished the concept of aging characters was more prevalant in RPGs these days.

vix

I really hope this is legit. I run a katamari community on the side and we could really use a new game.

I just hope it goes beyond the ps3 and 360.

I want current gen too but I doubt it'll happen.

CrisKre

Rings of fate looks awesome. wow. I hope the music for the DS version holds up to the goodness that was the GC version. but yeah. Wow.:)

reminder

vix said:
I really hope this is legit. I run a katamari community on the side and we could really use a new game.

I just hope it goes beyond the ps3 and 360.

I want current gen too but I doubt it'll happen.

PS3 and 360 ARE current gen. What you want is last gen. :p ;)

I don't see what's wrong with the art in the Wild Arms game. I mean, I don't see how you could have small 2d art that is any better than that. Sure, you could use a zoomed in view, and have more detail, but that would restrict the field of view, which would probably be a problem if most of the attacks in the game are ranged (which I would think, since it's a Wild West themed setting)

Maybe they could go 3d, but pretty much every 3d SRPG (not that there are many) gets hated on for graphics as well.

iapetus said:
Are they the people who can't spell "Raider"?

I don't know what this means. :(

As for the guy who complained about the music in We <3 Katamari: seriously? The music was awesome. At least as good as the music from the first game, if not better.

CamHostage

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ape Escape Saru Saru Daisakusen better be a normal Ape Escape and not another minigame festival :(

Hmm. Can't read the text, but it looks like it's an Ape Escape brain trainer, so that'd be worse than Academy (or maybe not?)

Somebody correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

Soul4ger

Seriously, is a "Traditional" Ape Escape on PSP even a good idea? The first one, the port, was horrible, and the lack of a second analog just guarantees it's going to blow ass. There are plenty of good franchises Sony could put on PSP. Just leave Ape Escape alone, for Christ's sake.

justchris

BobJustBob said:
I don't know what this means. :(

As for the guy who complained about the music in We <3 Katamari: seriously? The music was awesome. At least as good as the music from the first game, if not better.

Well, that is an opinion, as was mine, and I know quite a few people who share my opinion. Regardless of this, the music in the second game pretty much killed the experience for me. In every other way it was an excellent game, but I found myself listening to the soundtrack for the original on my PC while playing. I'm not saying the music was bad, it just set the mood all wrong.

Dante

I didn't feel like reading through thhe whole thread, but was anything mentioned about SixAxis support on Katamari?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I am sorry to pop anyone's bubble but I think that summer vacation game is full of static 2D backgrounds (when it looks nice, that's what it is). Then you have atcual 3D gameplay parts where it is in... 3D, and it looks like a PS2 game.

That or they are showing old PS2 screens along with the PS3 ones.

Reilly

Ether_Snake said:
I am sorry to pop anyone's bubble but I think that summer vacation game is full of static 2D backgrounds (when it looks nice, that's what it is). Then you have atcual 3D gameplay parts where it is in... 3D, and it looks like a PS2 game.

so?

StevieP

Banned
Dante said:
I didn't feel like reading through thhe whole thread, but was anything mentioned about SixAxis support on Katamari?

I remember reading an interview on IGN yesterday, that says it's dual-analog, according to a (Famitsu?) interview. They also make mention that the producer (the one who did the PSP game) said that it's a little strange to get used to the analog scheme of the 360 version, but that you do get used to it. He also made mention that when (if?) he does a Wii version, he'll have to re-evaluate the controls completely (duh, dual analog doesn't work! lol) and that they're also considering other versions like PC/DS/mobile/etc. Then again, that's probably been mentioned already in this thread, but I haven't read the whole thing either.

SonSon2

justchris said:
Well, that is an opinion, as was mine, and I know quite a few people who share my opinion. Regardless of this, the music in the second game pretty much killed the experience for me. In every other way it was an excellent game, but I found myself listening to the soundtrack for the original on my PC while playing. I'm not saying the music was bad, it just set the mood all wrong.

I share this opinion as well. The music just isn't as strong for the second one. Though I liked the game concept with fan requests and all, there were too many "challenge" segments. Collect only these type of things, you can't touch this, make the ball this size, etc. I don't fault the designers because where else can you take this concept? How many games can you realistically create around rolling everything up into a huge ball and still keep it fresh?

I think I have the same opinion of the original creator that maybe once was enough. Maybe we only needed one katamari game and not more sequels.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh god. Please, put an Eternal mode in the new Katamari! Please! I can't wait to play in high def on my 360! The PS2 versions just don't look as good. 4:3 480p. I gots ta have me some HDKD. :D

Jonnyram

From Nintendo Dream:

S-E's Hashimoto talks about Fabula Nova Crystallis:
The FFXIII world will go on for ten years. Think of it like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.
Wii version of FFCC will make full use of remote.
S-E is currently thinking how best to capture the light user audience of DS
There will be unannounced titles at S-E party, TGS and Jump Festa
Nintendo fans, and S-E fans in general, should look forward to the S-E party next month.

Release date predictions from Famitsu Wii&DS

July
FFTA2, Mushiking Super Collection, Wii Health Pack, Mario Party 8

Aug
FFCC Ring of Fates

Sep
DS TV digital tuner

Oct
Super Mario Galaxy

Nov
Pokemon Fushigi Dungeon 2, DQIX

Dec
Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Music, Smash Bros X

Jul-Dec
Wii w/ DVD playback

RE Umbrella Chronicles

ant1532

Banned
Jonnyram said:
From Nintendo Dream:

The FFXIII world will go on for ten years. Think of it like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.
Nintendo fans, and S-E fans in general, should look forward to the S-E party next month.

July

Aug
FFCC Ring of Fates

Sep
DS TV digital tuner

Oct
Super Mario Galaxy

Nov

Dec

Jul-Dec
Wii w/ DVD playback

RE Umbrella Chronicles
Dates sound like what I was thinking.

But wasn't DQIX already said to come out in 08'?

Jonnyram said:
From Nintendo Dream:

July

Aug
FFCC Ring of Fates

Sep
DS TV digital tuner

Oct
Super Mario Galaxy

Nov

Dec

Jul-Dec
Wii w/ DVD playback

RE Umbrella Chronicles

Nice news about FFCC: TCB. Glad to see it takes advantage of the controls.

I wonder how accurate those predictions will be.

Top Bottom