• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grasshopper Manufacture Community Thread | Punk's Not Dead (Yet)

cj_iwakura

DX9PK1y.jpg

Herein we can discuss assorted GHM titles(whether Suda51-developed or not), and Kill The Past.

CmChpFB.jpg

Grasshopper Manufacture, Inc.is a Japanese video game developer founded on March 30, 1998 in Suginami, Japan. Grasshopper gained mainstream attention in 2005 for the Nintendo GameCube and PlayStation 2 game Killer7. In addition to Killer7, they have developed Michigan: Report From Hell (released in Japan, Europe) and a number of Japan-only titles.

Grasshopper Manufacture was also responsible for the Nintendo DS game Contact, the Wii game No More Heroes and its sequel No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, and Shadows of the Damned. The company is headed by Goichi Suda, also known as Suda51, and is noted for its original and imaginative titles - ones that are also fraught with financial risk. Potential losses are often made up by the development of games based on popular anime franchises, such as Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked, Blood+: One Night Kiss, and Rebuild of Evangelion: Sound Impact.

GrasshopperManufacture.png

nBASzD6.png

The Silver Case (PS1) (Written & Directed by Suda51)
silver_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Oct 7, 1999

Imz6Jh9.jpg

The year is 1999. A series of mysterious and bizarre murders are occurring in the 24 Districts.
Detectives of the High-degree Murder Division in the 24 Wards Police Department investigating the case believe that the murders are being committed by, Kamui Uehara, the infamous serial killer.
However, Uehara was supposedly shot and killed by veteran detective Kusabi. Has Uehara returned to life?

Flower, Sun, and Rain (PS2 / DS) (Written & Directed by Suda51)
flowerSunRain_thumb.jpg

Release Date: May 2, 2001

flower_sun_and_rain_wallpaper_01_02-620x.jpg

Sumio Mondo is a "Searcher" and makes his living finding people's lost things. After arriving at the Flower, Sun, and Rain Hotel on Lospass Island,
Mondo takes a job to detect and defuse a bomb at the local airport. But will he make it on time?

Flower, Sun, and Rain is a mystery adventure where the player must solve challenging puzzles to help the residents of Lospass and attempt to unravel the secrets of the island.
During his investigations, Mondo will meet various characters, including several from the mystery game, The Silver Case.

Michigan: Report From Hell (PS2) (Directed by Akira Ueda)
michigan_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Aug 5, 2004(JP) / Sep 30, 2005(EU)

michigan_SS.jpg

The city of Chicago is under siege by a dense fog that transforms people into fleshy, leech-like monsters.
As a rookie cameraman, you and your crew attempt to uncover the mystery of the fog and the conspiracy behind its creation.
Experience unknown suspense and terror as they use only their wits and their trusty camera to investigate the source of the mysterious monster outbreak at Lake Michigan.

Killer7 (GC / "PS2") (Written & Directed by Suda51)
killer7_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Jun 9, 2005(JP) / Jul 7, 2005(NA) / Jul 15, 2005(EU)

tumblr_npjvy1ZE6i1qbcr9bo3_540.png

killer7 is the hyper-stylized, surreal action-adventure game from director SUDA 51 and the minds behind the Resident Evil series, Shinji Mikami and Hiroyuki Kobayashi.
In killer7, you step into the mind of assassin Harman Smith and his 7 alter egos as they take on the terrorist group, Heaven Smile.

Silver Case: Ward 25 (Mobile)
silver25_thumb.jpg

Release Date: October 3, 2005 (JP)

silver25.png

Return to 24 Wards in mobile phone version of the popular suspense title, The Silver Case.
The Silver Case : 25th Ward continues the story of the original game with an additional chapter.
25th Ward features several different scenarios, each focusing on characters from the original Silver Case.

Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked (PS2) (Written & Directed by Suda51)
samuraiChamploo_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Feb 23, 2006(JP) / Apr 12, 2006(NA)

samuraiChamploo_SS.jpg

The popular samurai hip-hop drama Samurai Champloo's lost episode.
Play as Mugen, the wild swordsman, or Jin, the cool and calculating samurai, as they help Fuu find "the samurai who smells of sunflowers".
Samurai Champloo Sidetracked eschews traditional beat-em-ups with a unique DJ combo system that lets players mix records, changing their attacks on the fly.

Contact (DS) (Directed by Akira Ueda)
contact_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Mar 30, 2006(JP) / Oct 18, 2006(NA) / Feb 2, 2007(EU)

220px-ContactGameplay.png

The Professor is on the run from the CosmoNOTs and it's up to YOU, the player, to save him! After crash landing on a mysterious planet,
the Professor enlists the help of the player and a brave young man named Terry to find the power sources for his ship.
s the hero, become the 'contact' between the Professor and Terry as he looks for the missing Cells for the Professor's ship.

Blood+: One Night Kiss (PS2)
BLOOD+_thumb.jpg

Release Date: July 27, 2006

BLOOD+_SS.jpg

Saya was just a normal high school girl until the fateful day she was attacked by the chiropteran, bat-like beasts that feed off human blood.
From that day forward, she begins a quest to rid the world of chiropteran and discover her true identity.

Blood+ One Night Kiss is an action adventure game set after episode seven of the animated series.
Join Saya, Hagi, and a new companion Aoyama, as they try to save the town of Shiki from the chiropteran horde.

No More Heroes (Wii / "PS3") (Written and Directed by Suda51)

nomoreHeroes_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Dec 6, 2007(JP) / Jan 22, 2008(NA) / Mar 14, 2008(EU) / Mar 20, 2008(AU)

tumblr_njffhsmtOi1riyb8io1_500.jpg

Witness the saga of young outcast Travis Touchdown as he challenges top-ranked underground assassins in this spirited action adventure,
celebrating the concept of youth, the professional killer industry, and the cost of being a hero.

Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (Written and Directed by Makoto Shibata & Suda51)
zero_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Jan 10 ,2013

latest

The heroine heads to an island to recover her lost memories, using a “Camera Obscura” to capture hostile ghosts along the way.

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle (Wii) (Directed by Nobutaka Ichiki)
nomoreHeroes2_thumb.jpg

Jan 26, 2010(NA) / May 25, 2010(AUS) / May 28, 2010(EU) / Oct 21, 2010(JP)

nomoreHeroes2_SS.jpg

Three years after battling for the rank of #1 assassin, Travis Touchdown returns to the secret and exclusive United Assassin Association.
This time he is out for revenge and he must battle 51 of the world's strongest and most unusual killers to get it.

Shadows of the Damned (PS3) (Directed by Massimo Guarini)
Release Date: Jun 21, 2011(NA) / Jun 23, 2011(AU) /Jun 24, 2011(EU) / Sep 22, 2011(JP)

shadows_thumb.jpg

Garcia Hotspur, the legendary "Demon Hunter", ventures into the demon world, a place beyond the realities of time and space, to rescue his one true love.
To save her, Garcia must defeat the twisted legions of the demon world and their vile masters. Will Garcia be able to rescue her from the maw of eternal torment?
shadows_SS.jpg

Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3nd['Sound'] Impact (PSP)
eva_thumb.jpg

Release Date: September 9, 2011 (JP)

eva_SS.jpg

A rhythm action game based on NGE. Delve into the powerful visuals and sounds of Evangelion through "touch" and create your own "Sound Impact".

Sine Mora (PC / PS3 / 360) (Written & Directed by Theodore Reiker)
sineMora_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Mar 21, 2012
sinemora_SS.jpg

Sine Mora is a dieselpunk shoot 'em up that provides a unique take on the genre, where time is the ultimate factor. Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with next-gen presentation,
SINE MORA features over 60 combinations of planes, characters and time manipulation devices to complete every stage with scaling difficulty.

Diabolical Pitch (360)
diabolicalPitch_thumb.jpg

Release date: April 2, 2012

diabolicalpitch_SS.jpg

An unusual, unique and wacky pitching action game is coming to Kinect and the name of the game is Diabolical Pitch.
A former pitcher now outfitted with an incredibly powerful bionic arm finds himself in a run-down, dark, and twisted amusement park.
The night gets strange and intense quickly as you must use your pitching skills to survive the game of your life.

Liberation Maiden (DS) (Directed by Makoto Chida & Suda51)
guild01_thumb.jpg

Release Date: May 31, 2012(JP) / Oct 4, 2012(EU) /Oct 25, 2012(NA)

guild01_SS.jpg

A 3D shooting game where Oozora Shoko, a high school girl who is also
the president of her country, uses a robot called "The Kaiho Machine"
to battle an enemy force that has invaded Japan.  

Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3 / 360) (Directed by Tomo Ikeda)
lolipop_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Jun 12, 2012(NA) / Jun 13, 2012(AU) / Jun 14, 2012(JP)

lolipop_SS.jpg

Lollipop Chainsaw is the 'un-deadly' story of a sweet and killer zombie hunter and her quest to uncover the root of a colossal zombie outbreak.
Juliet slices, dices and splits her way through hordes of the undead, but soon realizes the horde is only
the opening act to a festival of zombie rock lords to determined to kill the chainsaw wielding cheerleader.

Black Knight Sword (PS3 / 360) (Directed by Ren Yamazaki)
blackknightsword_thumb.jpg

Release Date: December 11, 2012 (NA / EU) / January 10 ,2013 (JP)

blackknightsword_SS.jpg

The Black Knight is led by the sword fairy through a whimsical world of eye-catching environments filled with curious looking creatures,
only to discover who really caused the nightmare tragedy that he now finds himself trapped in.

Killer Is Dead (PS3 / 360 / PC) (Directed by Hideyuki Shin)
killerIsDead_thumb.jpg

Release Date: Aug 1, 2013(JP) / Aug 27, 2013(NA) / Aug 30, 2013(EU)

killerIsDead_SS.jpg

Mondo Zappa is an officially recognized executioner - who always operates professionally when killing heinous criminals.
He also has ways with ladies with his sweet mannerism and talks. This is a love story of such a dangerous, but intriguing man.

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukihime's Longest Day (PS3) (Directed by Yohei Kataoka)
Release Date: Jan 16, 2014 (JP) / September 30, 2014 (US) / April 18, 2014 (EU)

tsukigimeranko_thumb.jpg

The game presents a world of modern Japan with a unique scenario and visual. The game offers action, along with original short animation clips produced by Kamikaze Douga.
You get to see human dramas between Ranko and other unique characters around her throughout the clips between battle stages.

Lily Bergamo Let It Die (PS4)
letitdie_thumb.jpg

Release Date: '2016'

The evolved survival action game, a result of adding more actions and artistic style onto "Lily Bergamo".

j9f1k3v.png

Kill The Past History
The Art of Grasshopper Manufacturer
Flower Sun and Rain Discussion
The Sivlver Case Discussion
Suda 51 Fables
Killer7 10th Anniversary
No More Heroes Replay
Shadows of the Damned OT
Lollipop Chainsaw OT
Killer Is Dead OT (PC Version)

And remember:
tsc9.png

Eolz

Really nice that there's a community thread for this company/multiverse, and not surprised you're the one that made it! :p

Hopefully we'll get some news about their games (new or not) this year.

CorySchmitz

Lots of great games.

My personal favorites:

1. Killer7
  2. Short Peace: Ranko Tsukihime's Longest Day
  3. No More Heroes
  4. Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked
  5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  6. Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3nd
  7. Contact
Enjoyed Shadows of the Damned but I didn't think the visual design was as strong as the others. Also finished Sine Mora, Lollipop Chainsaw, & Killer is Dead but they weren't as memorable imo. Also tried Flower, Sun, & Rain but I kinda had no idea what do do, haha.

Always wanted to try The Silver Case, Michigan: Report From Hell, &Blood+: One Night Kiss, but was never able to.

Not to sure about Let It Die—they used to be so much more prolific... not sure what happened :T

daxgame

is the original Silver Case (or one of its re-releases) game available in other languages aside from Japanese? I didn't know about this game... it doesn't look like it tho :(

I'm still working on playing more of their games. I have Killer is Dead on steam ready to be played, just need to find the time to invest into it.

No More Heroes 3 please.

Intel_89

They're like Platinums not as capable little brother, I love them just as much despite not providing the most polished experiences out there.

NMH 1&2, Flower Sun and Rain, Killer7, all great titles.

cj_iwakura

is the original Silver Case (or one of its re-releases) game available in other languages aside from Japanese? I didn't know about this game... it doesn't look like it tho :(

Only Japanese, unless someone decides to help Suda localize it. Not likely, unless the rumor in the artbook about a Spanish company is true.

Sioul

Hey, there is also a game called "Diabolical Pitch". I haven't played it but the wiki says that is related:

◾ Diabolical Pitch (2012) stars baseball pitchers from Santa Destroy and Lospass Island, drawing itself and No More Heroes into the existing Kill the Past narrative, though without the trademarks of earlier titles

Is the game good or just a bad Kinect game?

delSai

Looking forward to Let it Die, been one of my most hyped games since announcement. Haven't really played any of their other games although many of them looked interesting. I will definitely check out Killer7 someday.

Warxard

Banned
I hope this is a thread where we can be comfortably excited about Let it Die without Lily Bergamo shitposting

redhood56

Banned
TSC looks very interesting, hopefully that Spanish company picks it up. I also need to play killer7 one of these days, I'm hearing great things about it.

cj_iwakura

TSC looks very interesting, hopefully that Spanish company picks it up. I also need to play killer7 one of these days, I'm hearing great things about it.

Someone needs to do some detective work and find out what company that is. Or they need to come forward or something.

TSC is crazy. Multimedia doesn't even begin to describe it. It's like how Killer7 shifts between styles on a whim, but TSC also has live action sequences.

NSFW
5pdtBxT.jpg
tumblr_nmzlcouxpK1skns5ho3_1280.jpg

The context is that there's a voyeur website that transforms its viewers into mindless drones, and the subject of the website
eventually commits suicide.

KyleCross

I hope this is a thread where we can be comfortably excited about Let it Die without Lily Bergamo shitposting
There's no denying that Lily Bergamo looked a lot more interesting than Let It Die, but Let It Die is what we're getting so no since complaining anymore at this point.

Cardon

Is the game good or just a bad Kinect game?

I enjoyed it for what it was. It isn't entirely gimmicky in nature, despite being a Kinect game, since I found the premise of being a baseball pitcher to be a clever way of working in the Kinect motion gameplay, which basically amounts to doing throwing motions like crazy until your shoulder hurts.

I got a question for y'all: how is that Short Peace game? Never played it despite liking the art style. Just didn't know if it would be worth the price and all.

cj_iwakura

I enjoyed it for what it was. It isn't entirely gimmicky in nature, despite being a Kinect game, since I found the premise of being a baseball pitcher to be a clever way of working in the Kinect motion gameplay, which basically amounts to doing throwing motions like crazy until your shoulder hurts.

I got a question for y'all: how is that Short Peace game? Never played it despite liking the art style. Just didn't know if it would be worth the price and all.

It's $4.99 now on PSN. I *just* got it, and I'm excited to try it, so I'll let you know.

SephLuis

I really need to replay K7 and play the rest of the Kill the Past series.

I wonder if Suda has plans to create remakes or compilations to re-release and maybe give the West a chance to see everything too.

cj_iwakura

Finished watching Short Peace, talk about dark(apart from the opening and the first short).

Wondering if Ranko Tsukigime has a similar tone. About to find out!

cj_iwakura

I knew Ranko would be fun to play, Crispy's were involved. It's.. trippy. Think like Bit Trip Runner but not nearly as difficult. cutscenes are gorgeous, story is interesting.

Eolz

Same, never played Michigan, I need to try that.

Not to sure about Let It Die—they used to be so much more prolific... not sure what happened :T

Game development budgets rising and publishers being more risk-averse (for good reasons) happened.

I've never played Killer 7, how easy do you think it'd be to go back to now?

Presentation wise it's timeless. Controls are just going to be as awkward as the day it came out.

This. Just play the GC version (even better emulated) as it's the best, and enjoy the ride. Timeless and unique.
It reminds me how Capcom said in a K7 stream last year that even if they really wanted to port this, it had no chance due to being extremely niche. It might have a chance as a PS2/GC virtual console title in the future if we're lucky though, since the budget needed wouldn't be the same at all.

PantsuJo

I played Killer is Dead, Liberation Maiden and SineMora.

Except SineMora (really "meh") I liked these games. Gonna play Shadow of the Damned asap.

Edit: oh! I forgot NoMoreHeroes! Fucking awesome

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've got a copy of Killer7 signed by Suda and it's my vidya pride and joy. Killer7 is one of my favourite games, and when pondering my own ideas I often revert back to it for inspiration.

I'll add more when I get home from work, but yeah. PS Shadows of the Dammed is one of the best shooters from last gen, and No More Heroes was among the best games on the Wii. Truthfacts.

Cardon

I knew Ranko would be fun to play, Crispy's were involved. It's.. trippy. Think like Bit Trip Runner but not nearly as difficult. cutscenes are gorgeous, story is interesting.

Nice. I'll definitely give it a go now and add to my GhM collection.

This. Just play the GC version (even better emulated) as it's the best, and enjoy the ride. Timeless and unique.
It reminds me how Capcom said in a K7 stream last year that even if they really wanted to port this, it had no chance due to being extremely niche. It might have a chance as a PS2/GC virtual console title in the future if we're lucky though, since the budget needed wouldn't be the same at all.

oh, i didn't even know there WAS a GameCube version. maybe I'll get around to actually trying to
setup dolphin

the only grasshopper game I've ever played was like an hour of killer is dead, but I just don't think I was in the right mood for it even though it looked and felt really good

Ordered both "Contact" and "Flower, Sun & Rain" boxed and with the manuals in great condition for £15 total! Looking forward to giving them both a spin!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I hope grasshopper is still alive. I remember when I was working with a trademark law firm, I put the trademark application for Diabolical Pitch in Canada.

I was thinking, "what the fuck is this game?!"

Astarte

Ah, finally a community thread!

I hope Suda gets back in tip top shape (or any shape for that matter); until that happens I'll be travelling through a backlog of GS games! I'm still waiting on The Silver Case to have some form of release later on, and I might pick up Champloo. Contact is a definite must play though.
Michigan was really fun to play through, more people should try it out.

IrishNinja

much love - thread makes me wanna finish flower, sun & rain...never even saw Contact

Killer 7 & NMH are the truth, finally beat Killer is Dead late last year - ive yet to play a title from grasshopper i haven't enjoyed

daevious

I'm now convinced that Ranko Tsukigime is the result of Yohei Kataoka and Suda51 being on an acid trip.

I'm convinced it's an experiment in creating the most violently anime thing possible.

You can tell Suda actually had a significant hand in its creation because of how frequently it references his own works. It also has Luchador masks in it, unlike all the other post-NMH games.

Tizoc

Inneed to play that ranko game already
For that matter thanks for making this i nw have a great list of suda51 games to experience

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think FSR may be my favourite game of theirs. It's hilarious and trippy as fuck. And dat soundtrack

Top Bottom