• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such an annoying way to release information. It forces me to check every update because I'm a fan, and slowly tells me the whole entire game.

Just give me a trailer and I'll be happy.

cool_dude_2049 said:
Bottom line: Voice chat makes online gaming what it is, at least, in my opinion.

Fail? I suppose you started playing online games with the X Box?

That's really all I can make out of your reply, to be honest. I've been playing online games since 95/96 so it's not a stretch for me to "think of a world" without voice chat.

Saitou

Banned
Woah woah woah woah woah

Stop the ****ing train

Masafumi Takada AND Jun Fukuda of killer7 fame?
hfs.gif

This.... this can't be possible....

I think I just had a multiple orgasm.

Kureishima said:

That's really all I can make out of your reply, to be honest. I've been playing online games since 95/96 so it's not a stretch for me to "think of a world" without voice chat.

Well, I personally think that voice chat makes a world of a difference, and I would really like for that to become a standard. It makes the multiplayer experience what it is because you are partaking in verbal interaction with other gamers across the world. I really don't see the point in not having voice chat integrated in online Wii games, but since online multiplayer doesn't seem to be Nintendo's priority with the Wii, I can understand if they didn't put voice chat.

Aaron

Kureishima said:

My first online game was Doom. Had a seperate phone line so could chat and kill at the same time. Makes a huge difference, and really without the ability to speak it's not as fun. With a fighting game like Brawl? Might as well be playing the AI.

Aaron said:
My first online game was Doom. Had a seperate phone line so could chat and kill at the same time. Makes a huge difference, and really without the ability to speak it's not as fun. With a fighting game like Brawl? Might as well be playing the AI.
Might as well go back to your xbox. Besdies you fail to realize that there is a microphone out already for Nintendo devices and it could easily be adapted for the Wii.

You assume so I can assume.

Say hi to Sakaguchi for me.

Aaron said:

Uhm.. Well, I can understand this. In the early years of Ultima Online and Diablo, there wasn't a lot of broadband penetration, so it wasn't as though voice chat was easily accessible. Thusly, I did the same thing. I admit, being on the phone with your bud to make sure you have every possibly chance to destroy some guy and grief him to death is fun. Is it less fun without voice chat? Potentially. There's a certain aspect it adds to the game, but I can live without it. I'd play UO with or without voice chat. Same with Diablo, same with any game.

Yeah yeah, all us old geezers have been playing without voice chat online since '95, whatever. I wouldn't want to go back to a world without it after being presented it.

At least when I was playing in UO and such, I could chat with other players! Voice chat isn't necessary, but chat is at least.

RiskyChris said:
Yeah yeah, all us old geezers have been playing without voice chat online since '95, whatever. I wouldn't want to go back to a world without it after being presented it.

At least when I was playing in UO and such, I could chat with other players! Voice chat isn't necessary, but chat is at least.

What server, what years?

Kureishima said:
What server, what years?

Lake Superior, hoo boy.. what years... *Edgeworth tap on forehead*

A month before trammel opened I began, and I played for roughly 3 years. No clue what that time span is and I'm too lazy to look up tram's introduction. =)

LS, oh yes sir.

But you're after my time man. :) After most people I knew's time. I played 98-00, Trammel was about 00. I want to say it was January 00, but I think I'm wrong. I sold my account right off the bat when Trammel came out. Insta-economy inflate, insta-crappy game :(.

Almost ten years since UO. Sigh.

Tristam

Aaron said:

Oh bull. If you're a tournament smasher, you know the difference between practicing on the shitty bots and practicing on actual players. The bots become predictable after about three matches. You want to know what voice chat might sound like? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poshsm4jZnE

Voice chat can ruin games as often as they help them.

Tristam said:
Oh bull. If you're a tournament smasher, you know the difference between practicing on the shitty bots and practicing on actual players. The bots become predictable after about three matches. You want to know what voice chat might sound like? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poshsm4jZnE

Truth. Whether you're a "tournament" smasher or not, you only have to play the bots a handful of times to see the limited scope of their AI. They react in EXACTLY the same way in a given situation, every time, no matter what. Predictable and just plain stupid.

Smash is a lot different than a traditional fighter because of it's freedom of movement-- unlike Virtua Fighter, there's a lot more to think about than simply stringing together attack combos.

PedroRVD

have you noticed the absence of Uematsu in that wonderful list?

is he out of the proyect? do you know something about that?

Yes he is. He even has the avatar! Only the true Anihawk can wear that!

I thought Ani posted that in another thread? And I LOVE the ignore fuction.

Game-Biz said:
Today's update will probably just be a biography of Wario. Yeah, in other words, Lowered Expectations.

Things like this seem lame at first, but if that bio includes shiny new screens showcasing Wario's moves (lots of which we haven't seen yet), and I'm guessing it would... it would be awesome.

Firestorm

WastingPenguins said:
Truth. Whether you're a "tournament" smasher or not, you only have to play the bots a handful of times to see the limited scope of their AI. They react in EXACTLY the same way in a given situation, every time, no matter what. Predictable and just plain stupid.

Smash is a lot different than a traditional fighter because of it's freedom of movement-- unlike Virtua Fighter, there's a lot more to think about than simply stringing together attack combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwwVidj4FI
teehee

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The best smash CPU AIs are G&W and Ganondorf.

Worst? Probably Bowser and Yoshi.

Kureishima said:
LS, oh yes sir.

But you're after my time man. :) After most people I knew's time. I played 98-00, Trammel was about 00. I want to say it was January 00, but I think I'm wrong. I sold my account right off the bat when Trammel came out. Insta-economy inflate, insta-crappy game :(.

Almost ten years since UO. Sigh.

I lived and breathed fel, but unfortunately few others did after that fateful day.

Aaron

Tristam said:

Umm, did you miss the part where I was saying I've been voice chatting / whatever you like to call it since the original Doom? I know what it sounds like already. And I didn't say it would be exactly like fighting the AI, I said it might as well be. Lack of voice chat only reduces your level of interaction with a game. I've recently played Street Fighter 2/ 3rd Strike online, and even though my opponent was better than the AI easily, it wouldn't have been worth it without the chat that went along with it. Nintendo even has friend codes to reduce the chance of some 12 year old screaming in your ear, so what's to fear?

Tristam

Aaron said:
Umm, did you miss the part where I was saying I've been voice chatting / whatever you like to call it since the original Doom? I know what it sounds like already. And I didn't say it would be exactly like fighting the AI, I said it might as well be. Lack of voice chat only reduces your level of interaction with a game. I've recently played Street Fighter 2/ 3rd Strike online, and even though my opponent was better than the AI easily, it wouldn't have been worth it without the chat that went along with it. Nintendo even has friend codes to reduce the chance of some 12 year old screaming in your ear, so what's to fear?

Huh? If you're talking about voice chat during random (competitive) play, you bet there'd be some 12 year old screaming in my ear. Friend codes are NOT used in random play. It's a very difficult concept to understand, I know.

Whether you said it would be exactly like fighting the AI or it might as well be, you're still miles off of the mark. I really don't care about exchanging trash talk or the standard "good game." I care about improving my skills by playing as many people as I can, not bots. Yes, it's plenty worth it without the voice chat.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Game-Biz said:
Japan Time is inconsistent and unreliable. I don't trust it.
Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Super Smash Bros Brawl were released in Japan a long time ago btw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom