• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

Cosmozone said:
Sheik just doesn't fit anymore. The character is related only to one specific Zelda game, which has two successors by now and it's not what I'd call a very memorable character. Alternate costume, at most.

Sheik is a Sheikah, who were referenced in the original Legend of Zelda (Impa, Zelda's caretaker/nurse/whatever from the first game was a Sheikah). So she fits just fine, even if the Sheikah haven't appeared in Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.

SCReuter said:
Wasn't one of the Melee stages cel-shaded?

Kanto Skies: Poké Floats

Just saying.

You're right, sometimes the art-style of the levels is different, as in Flat Zone and Poké Floats. This is not the case with characters, however.

Aaaaanyway. Like I said, I'm not arguing that WW Link shouldn't be in the game. I honestly think it would be kind of cool, personally. But I don't think that the Smash team will do it, and I've given my reasons why I think that.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't wanna make too big of a deal out of something so small, but the "gooey bomb" is the first bit of SSBB news that's really given me a lot of faith that the whole project is going to turn out great, or at least melee-level.

1) It's brand new.

2) It represents outside-the-box thinking. It's easy to add new items that have neat effects. But a gooey bomb? Really? No Melee fan would ever have suggested something like THAT in any of the countless "what do you want to see in the sequel?" threads.

3) It seems specifically designed to enhance crazy gameplay scenarios and just generally increase the multiplayer fun factor as much as possible.

I have faith now that the game is gonna turn out grear :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
justchris said:
Sheik is a Sheikah, who were referenced in the original Legend of Zelda (Impa, Zelda's caretaker/nurse/whatever from the first game was a Sheikah). So she fits just fine, even if the Sheikah haven't appeared in Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker.
although majora's mask seems to be linked to the sheikah...

WastingPenguins said:
:lol This actually helps to prove my point, thanks. They took the Doc Mario character and modeled him to fit the Melee art-style, just like I've been saying. "8-Bit-Gameboy Doctor Mario" was not a character in that game.

How doesn't he? The art style of the characters and stages is consistent. That's what I'm talking about. The art-style is and always has been consistent, and we have no reason to think this would change in Brawl.

I'm not saying whether t think WW Link should or should not be in the game. I wouldn't be against it. I'm just explaining why I don't think it will happen.
Uh Mr. Game & Watch does not fit the art style of Melee, yet Nintendo still added him as a fighter. They could do the same thing with WW Link. Especially since it would help promote Phantom Hourglass.

Firestorm

justchris said:
The term you're looking for is stance change. Young Link (for instance) is just a smaller, faster, weaker version of link. So yes, it's basically a costume change, but at the start of the match, you choose Link and what color you want him to be, and what 'costume' you want him to wear.

However, you can then change from Link to Young Link (and maybe even to OniLink) during the match. This does three things: Clears up a character slot for another character; gets rids of unnecessary clones and encourages the creation of unique movesets for added characters; allows you to pull of things like wavedashing as young Link, transforming to the much strong adult Link on the fly to deliver a crushing blow.

Basically it adds yet another dimension to the strategy in the game, and I'm 100% in favor of it.

It also means that Samus can become Zero Suit Samus, Mario can become Dr. Mario, and characters like Jigglypuff can get changes to their moveset without destroying the existing (and pretty awesome) one (which is what happened with Kirby's movesent between the original and the second. That dash attack of his is useless for pretty much anything except killing yourself).

I agree that would be cool, but it's not what most people are suggesting. They're just suggesting that instead of "Blue Link" and "Red Link" we should have "Link" and "Young Link".

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
WastingPenguins said:
Also-- face it, guys, there's a 0% chance of Wind Waker characters being in the game. The graphical style simply doesn't fit. Feel free to protest, fine, but I guarantee it won't happen.

There is far too much clamor for WW Link for them not to consider it. Next of all the cel-shaded Link is still relevant (even more relevant than TP Link) because Phantom Hourglass for DS hasn't come out yet.

miyuru

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves debating which characters are relevant and which ones aren't. Just look at Melee's roster, it's full of oddities and obvious choices.

Wind Waker Link doesn't necessarily have to be a cel-shaded model, you know. They use the same character design in quite a few games and it's not hard to make a 3D model that looks like, say, Minish Cap's Link.

justchris

Firestorm said:
I agree that would be cool, but it's not what most people are suggesting. They're just suggesting that instead of "Blue Link" and "Red Link" we should have "Link" and "Young Link".

Oh....well...most people are silly then.

WastingPenguins said:
You're right, sometimes the art-style of the levels is different, as in Flat Zone and Poké Floats. This is not the case with characters, however.

Aaaaanyway. Like I said, I'm not arguing that WW Link shouldn't be in the game. I honestly think it would be kind of cool, personally. But I don't think that the Smash team will do it, and I've given my reasons why I think that.

And who was the character associated with Flat Zone?

superbank

ShockingAlberto said:
Wind Waker Link doesn't necessarily have to be a cel-shaded model, you know. They use the same character design in quite a few games and it's not hard to make a 3D model that looks like, say, Minish Cap's Link.

I thought Minish Cap Link was WW Link in 2D?

superbank said:
I thought Minish Cap Link was WW Link in 2D?

I think he is talking about the artstyle used for the artworks ->

6bktz7c.jpg

Compared to ->

4vgzfwm.jpg

superbank

Stormbringer said:
I think he is talking about the artstyle used for the artworks ->

http://i11.tinypic.com/6bktz7c.jpg

Compared to ->

[IMG]http://i19.tinypic.com/4vgzfwm.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thats the exact same thing except they added a black outline.

superbank said:
Thats the exact same thing except they added a black outline.

It appears to me that the textures on the character look slightly more apparent and detailed on the 2D artwork than on the 3D cel-shaded model (thanks to a slightly granular effect) , which is why it seems like a 3D, non cel-shaded model could absolutely be made from the 2D artwork, while being well integrated among the rest of the cast.

superbank

I barely know what we're doing anymore. Lets just end it with this:

- Sakurai puts characters in whether we think they fit or not (Game and Watch, Snake).
- Nintendo has a cel-shaded Zelda game on DS that they would want to promote.
- Fans want WW Link (or cel-shaded, whatever term you want to use).

Move on to the next topic.

ShockingAlberto said:
I agree, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what they'll wind up doing. Not that I have any kind of proof, just my gut feeling.

EDIT: Sorry, yeah we should move on, what's the next subject?

Cho Aniki eh?

Cho-aniki-psx-5c.jpg

I had no idea you guys were talking about the game I read about in EGM so long ago. How the **** is this guy contributing to Smash Bros.? :lol

GaimeGuy

BrodiemanTTR said:
Cho Aniki eh?

Cho-aniki-psx-5c.jpg

I had no idea you guys were talking about the game I read about in EGM so long ago. How the **** is this guy contributing to Smash Bros.? :lol
Actually, from what I've heard, the music in the games is really good. :lol

BrodiemanTTR said:
Cho Aniki eh?

Cho-aniki-psx-5c.jpg

he's contributing with much more than music ya know

BrodiemanTTR said:
Cho Aniki eh?

Cho-aniki-psx-5c.jpg

If SSBB doesn't feature at least one semi-naked man riding on top of another semi-naked man as they shoot at a giant semi-naked man who has another semi-naked man protruding from his crotch, I will be sorely dissapointed.

ant1532

Banned
Hold on so what game is the Gooey Bomb from? All the items are from the games of the characters featured usually...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
ant1532 said:
Hold on so what game is the Gooey Bomb from? All the items are from the games of the characters featured usually...

Dragon Quest

blatent lie

GaimeGuy

ant1532 said:
it's not from anything.

and for that matter, not all items in melee were, either. The capsules and beam swords didn't come from anything, I believe, along with a few other items (fan?)

Zeed

Banned
ant1532 said:
Not so. Melee had a number of made up items (the Beam Sword being the most well-known), in addition to items that were from games with no character representation.

WastingPenguins said:
Sorry, but that's completely different. Game & Watch is just an oddity. His character looks like that, period. Link, the character, is not cel-shaded. Obviously I can't really "guarantee" anything, but I'm pretty confident there won't be any cel-shaded characters in the game.

No, you see. You're entire point was nullified when he posted a picture of Mr.G&W.

An oddity? You mean a normal character like everyone else?

justchris

GaimeGuy said:
it's not from anything.

and for that matter, not all items in melee were, either. The capsules and beam swords didn't come from anything, I believe, along with a few other items (fan?)

No, no, no, Beam Sword and Fan were both from Kirby. The n64 Kirby game had both of those (it also had a pretty nifty Darth Maul style Beam Staff). PLAY MORE KIRBY.

justchris said:
No, no, no, Beam Sword and Fan were both from Kirby. The n64 Kirby game had both of those (it also had a pretty nifty Darth Maul style Beam Staff). PLAY MORE KIRBY.
Were they the same beam swords? Plus I don't think the motion sensor bomb, crate, capsule, and a few others. In fact, I think a few of the item trophies specifically mention if an item is unique to smash bros.

*runs off to check

GaimeGuy

Keru_Shiri said:
Were they the same beam swords? Plus I don't think the motion sensor bomb, crate, capsule, and a few others. In fact, I think a few of the item trophies specifically mention if an item is unique to smash bros.

*runs off to check
now that you mention it.... they did. I specifically remember certain items being listed as such

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You know, the more I read about Cho Aniki at its Wikipedia page the more I want to play it. Does that make me a bad person?

underfooter said:
If Cel-shaded link is in this as a secret character, this game is officially the best game ever.

The "clamor" grows.

ant1532 said:

It's probably not from anything, despite it looking suspiciously like the "Protein Orb" or whatever it is that Samson and Adon revolve around in Cho Aniki. Like others above said, not all the items in Smash Bros. are from specific games, like the Beam Sword*, Raygun, Food, Homerun Bat, Capsule, Barrel and Party Ball.

*Trophy description says this item is from Smash Bros.,** NOT Kirby -- ha. =P

**Though the trophy description for Egg ALSO says it's from Smash Bros., when it's obviously from Chansey. Hmm, maybe these descriptions are unreliable.

GaimeGuy said:
now that you mention it.... they did. I specifically remember certain items being listed as such
The Beam Saber, Fan, and Home Run Bat are listed as being from Smash Bros. Crates, Capsules, Eggs, and Party Balls are also listed. The Motion Sensor Bar, and Cloaking Device is listed as TOP SECRET, so yeah, there may be similar items in previous games, but most are smash exclusive.

Tomato was from Kirby.

btw, if a S-E character shows up, and ends up being Rogue Tomato... everyone will be terrified. I myself will be terrified.

Danthrax said:
It's probably not from anything, despite it looking suspiciously like the "Protein Orb" or whatever it is that Samson and Adon revolve around in Cho Aniki. Like others above said, not all the items in Smash Bros. are from specific games, like the Maxim Tomato, Raygun, Food, Parasol, Flipper, Homerun Bat, Lip's Stick, Cloaking Device, Capsule and Party Ball.

You are about to get ripped apart.

BrodiemanTTR said:
You are about to get ripped apart.

Well, if I remember correctly, Maxim Tomato, Food , Capsule, Parasol are from Kirby, Ray Gun is from Starfox, and Bat is from Earthbound. But the other one are questionable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom