• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if we could trace back every item to some obscure corner of a given Nintendo game, it doesn't neccessarily mean we won't see completley new items for Brawl.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I edited my post a bunch, after I saw things like Maxim Tomato and Lip's Stick were actually from games. Oh hell here's a c&p (from here) of the trophies:

012: Barrel ......................[Super Smash Bros.]
013: Barrel Cannon ..........[Donkey Kong Country]
016: Beam Sword .............[Super Smash Bros.]
020: Bob-omb ..................[Super Mario Bros. 2]
029: Bunny Hood ..............[The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time]
030: Capsule ....................[Super Smash Bros.]
042: Cloaking Device ........[Perfect Dark]
044: Crate .......................[Super Smash Bros.]
064: Egg ..........................[Super Smash Bros.]
073: Fan ..........................[Super Smash Bros.]
078: Fire Flower ................[Super Mario Bros.]
080: Flipper ......................[Balloon Fight]
081: Food .........................[Super Smash Bros. Melee]
087: Freezie ......................[Mario Bros.]
100: Green Shell ...............[Super Mario Bros.]
101: Hammer ....................[Donkey Kong]
103: Heart Container .........[The Legend of Zelda]
106: Home-Run Bat ...........[Super Smash Bros.]
139: Lip's Stick ..................[Panel De Pon]
161: Maxim Tomato ...........[Kirby's Dream Land]
165: Metal Box ..................[Super Mario 64]
176: Motion-Sensor Bomb ...[Top Secret]*
190: Parasol ......................[Kirby's Dream Land]
191: Party Ball ...................[Super Smash Bros. Melee]
207: Poison Mushroom ........[Super Mario All-Stars]
208: Poké Ball ....................[Pokémon Red & Blue]
220: Ray Gun .....................[Super Smash Bros.]
223: Red Shell ....................[Super Mario Bros.]
238: Screw Attack ...............[Metroid]
249: Star Rod .....................[Kirby's Adventure]
250: Starman .....................[Super Mario Bros.]
256: Super Mushroom .........[Super Mario Bros.]
257: Super Scope ...............[Super Scope]
278: Warp Star ...................[Kirby's Dream Land]

*The Japanese version had this instead of the Motion-Sensor Bomb:
Proximity Mine ....................[Perfect Dark]

So the non-game-related items in Melee are the Barrel, Crate, Egg, Fan, Food, Home-Run Bat, Party Ball and Ray Gun. It's not unprecedented to have new items in a Smash Bros. game and the Gooey Bomb is likely the latest addition.

Unless it's from Cho Aniki.

justchris

Danthrax said:
It's probably not from anything, despite it looking suspiciously like the "Protein Orb" or whatever it is that Samson and Adon revolve around in Cho Aniki. Like others above said, not all the items in Smash Bros. are from specific games, like the Beam Sword*, Raygun, Food, Homerun Bat, Capsule, Barrel and Party Ball.

*Trophy description says this item is from Smash Bros.,** NOT Kirby -- ha. =P

**Though the trophy description for Egg ALSO says it's from Smash Bros., when it's obviously from Chansey. Hmm, maybe these descriptions are unreliable.

I would consider that possibility, since the Homerun Bat is obviously from Earthbound. The Barrel is from Donkey Kong Country, or hell, even the original Donkey Kong.

But yeah, the Raygun is a Smash Bros. original.

Seriously this Japan Time joke is getting ****ing killed to DEATH. GAF has turned into my annoying friend who runs every new saying into the ground.

ant1532

Banned
This next update is hopefully awesome, since after all it is MY BIRTHDAY!!! (it's now 12:31 AM May 25, here in Florida)

Come on Sakurai, for my birthday announce something crazy!!

Zeed

Banned
ant1532 said:
This next update is hopefully awesome, since after all it is MY BIRTHDAY!!! (it's now 12:31 AM May 25, here in Florida)

You just jinxed it, Metaknight and Wario re-confirmed.

justchris said:
But yeah, the Raygun is a Smash Bros. original.

But in the end, can't we consider that it's derivated from the Starfox's Ray Gun ? I think it's a possibility.

Besides, it seems like the Gooey bomb is derivated from a Kirby character called Gooey, which apparently has the ability to set himself on fire (then detonate ?) ->

660lea1.jpg

Keru_Shiri said:
Even if we could trace back every item to some obscure corner of a given Nintendo game, it doesn't neccessarily mean we won't see completley new items for Brawl.

That's definitely true. But then, how could we evaluate how much of some nintendo nerds we are :p ?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ant1532 said:

I'm going to guess that the next update will open the Game Modes section.

Jiggy

Stormbringer said:
But in the end, can't we consider that it's derivated from the Starfox's Ray Gun ? I think it's a possibility.

Besides, it seems like the Gooey bomb is derivated from a Kirby character called Gooey, which apparently has the ability to set himself on fire (then detonate ?) ->

660lea1.jpg
I've tried to put Kirby's Dreamland 3 out of my mind because of how mediocre it was compared to Kirby Super Star before it, but I'm pretty sure that's the Spark power, not Fire. Don't think the Gooey Bomb has anything to do with Gooey...

Jiggy37 said:
I've tried to put Kirby's Dreamland 3 out of my mind because of how mediocre it was compared to Kirby Super Star before it, but I'm pretty sure that's the Spark power, not Fire. Don't think the Gooey Bomb has anything to do with Gooey...

Uh ? I think the possibility that the character inspired the item in some way is definitely arguable given the specificities of both. But obviously, without any kind definitive proof, I guess that this will remain a frivolous debate.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stormbringer said:
Uh ? I think the possibility that the character inspired the item in some way is definitely arguable given the specificities of both. But obviously, without any kind definitive proof, I guess that this will remain a frivolous debate.

Actually, I believe you are entirely wrong.

"Gooey" as a Kirby character is just a blob that eats enemies.

The "Gooey Bomb" is a bomb that sticks to people -- it's vaguely like an adhesive game of hot potato (with explosives), or the "Blue Wizard is IT" sequence from Gauntlet II.

There is no connection between the two aside from the fact that the English versions of both names are "gooey".

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Stormbringer said:

It could also be from Perfect Dark, considering there are laser pistols that shoot green energy in that game. We've never seen the StarFox team use pistols before, have we?

Danthrax said:
It could also be from Perfect Dark, considering there are laser pistols that shoot green energy in that game. We've never seen the StarFox team use pistols before, have we?

How about those eye monsters from Zelda, you know, ZZZZZT.

miyuru

I remember someone saying how the characters should track each other with their eyes earlier in the thread...

item01_070524c-l.jpg

Maybe they will? Though, from what I recall, when you run with Mario he always looks back at first. Or maybe my memory's just foggy...

EDIT: Hm, though yeah, both Wario and Mario really seem to be looking at each other, at least in this screen.

usea

miyuru said:
I remember someone saying how the characters should track each other with their eyes earlier in the thread...

item01_070524c-l.jpg

Maybe they will? Though, from what I recall, when you run with Mario he always looks back at first. Or maybe my memory's just foggy...

EDIT: Hm, though yeah, both Wario and Mario really seem to be looking at each other, at least in this screen.
These shots are all posed. I don't think you can infer a detail like that from shots like these. A lot of people were also confused as to why link is flying into the background when swept by mario in one of the other images, when he almost definitely wouldn't go that direction. The answer is because the image looks better with them both in that position, so they posed them that way.

DavidDayton said:
Actually, I believe you are entirely wrong.

"Gooey" as a Kirby character is just a blob that eats enemies.

The "Gooey Bomb" is a bomb that sticks to people -- it's vaguely like an adhesive game of hot potato (with explosives), or the "Blue Wizard is IT" sequence from Gauntlet II.

There is no connection between the two aside from the fact that the English versions of both names are "gooey".

I now admit that the connection just seemed so obvious to me from the first look that I indeed might not have looked deeper into the thing. I mean, for example, even if I based my theory on the names alone, this doesn't weight much longer as I realise that the japanese names are completely different (I just checked). Also, I probably overestimated the habit of the successive Smash Bros teams to bring a LOT of diverse references from the Kirby games. But overall, this is probably the form (a kind of blob with a proeminent core) that guided me on my supposition.
Well, see, this is what usually happens when you stay overnight AND engage in silly debates on the internet :lol .

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Economan said:
I'm calling that it's going to be a game mode preview tonight.

Perhaps...giant mode?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, hopefully theyll stick with the current trend of the Gooey Bomb and release something brand new and not one of the old SSB/SSBM modes.

usea said:
These shots are all posed. I don't think you can infer a detail like that from shots like these. A lot of people were also confused as to why link is flying into the background when swept by mario in one of the other images, when he almost definitely wouldn't go that direction. The answer is because the image looks better with them both in that position, so they posed them that way.

Actually the answer is that Link is flying sideways.

justchris

ShockingAlberto said:
I think, by the time Smash Bros. launches, this will be the most tightly-knit thread on GAF. :p

Japan Time brings people together. One day, Japan Time will be the catalyst for World Peace.

Branduil

I hope they do a lot more with Game Modes in Brawl. They were a bit underdeveloped in Melee, if they can just add some more customization and you'll be able to do some amazing things. And the ability to do more than one game mode at once would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom